Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ever wonder if people posting here for SOE receive any perks?

ArcAngel3ArcAngel3 Member Posts: 2,931

Well at least one of our "regulars" recently admitted receiving free merchandise (t-shirts, pens, stickers etc.) from SOE to host fan parties.

Anything wrong with hosting fan parties and getting freebies from SOE?  I don't think so, no.  Anything wrong with posting in support of a game you enjoy?  Again, no, not in my opinion. 

However, when people doing this claim to be nothing more than just the "average player who is enjoying the game today," (that's a direct quote btw) I think there's a problem.

The Federal Trade Commission's guide regarding testimonials and endorsements says the following:

"Any connections between the endorser and the advertiser that might materially affect the weight or credibility of the endorsement (i.e., the connection is not reasonably expected by the audience) must be fully disclosed."

This applies specifically to what is known as viral marketting on the internet.  If someone is posting in support of SOE games, and they are receiving free merchandise from them, does that affect the credibility of the endorsement?  It does for me.

My respectful request to anyone receiving perks from SOE who posts here is that you simply acknowledge this openly and honestly.  If they send you free stuff, give you free gameplay or any other perks while you're busy promoting their products, just let people know.  Put it in your sig or something. (e.g. SOE sends me free stuff). 

No one says you can't promote something you enjoy.  All I ask (well me and the FTC) is that you fully disclose your relationship with SOE while you do so.

Comments

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448

Who was it? Badger?

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• ArcAngel3ArcAngel3 Member Posts: 2,931
    Originally posted by Abrahmm

Who was it? Badger?

Tbh, my preference is to avoid naming names.  I'm just aware that something is happening; and I'd like any people involved to reflect on what they're doing, and adopt an open and honest approach to their posting.

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170

I think some may but some may just be fans of SOE games. I do not understand how they are after how horribly SOE ruins their games with bad expansions and shifty money grabbing tactics not seen by any other MMO but neverless SOE does have it's fans. I too USE to be a fan of Everquest. Everquest is no longer worth playing with how bad it has been mangled with bad expansion after expansion breaking everything that made Everquest, Everquest. Also will not touch it with a ten foot pole since the addition of item shops in a paid to play game. 

• RollotamasiRollotamasi Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 898

Nope, I havent.

-Currently looking forward to FFXIV

-Currently playing EvE and Global Agenda

• patrikd23patrikd23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,155
    Originally posted by ArcAngel3

Well at least one of our "regulars" recently admitted receiving free merchandise (t-shirts, pens, stickers etc.) from SOE to host fan parties.
    Anything wrong with hosting fan parties and getting freebies from SOE?  I don't think so, no.  Anything wrong with posting in support of a game you enjoy?  Again, no, not in my opinion. 
    However, when people doing this claim to be nothing more than just the "average player who is enjoying the game today," (that's a direct quote btw) I think there's a problem.
    The Federal Trade Commission's guide regarding testimonials and endorsements says the following:
    "Any connections between the endorser and the advertiser that might materially affect the weight or credibility of the endorsement (i.e., the connection is not reasonably expected by the audience) must be fully disclosed."
    This applies specifically to what is known as viral marketting on the internet.  If someone is posting in support of SOE games, and they are receiving free merchandise from them, does that affect the credibility of the endorsement?  It does for me.
    My respectful request to anyone receiving perks from SOE who posts here is that you simply acknowledge this openly and honestly.  If they send you free stuff, give you free gameplay or any other perks while you're busy promoting their products, just let people know.  Put it in your sig or something. (e.g. SOE sends me free stuff). 
    No one says you can't promote something you enjoy.  All I ask (well me and the FTC) is that you fully disclose your relationship with SOE while you do so.

I dont think they would admit to it, you just have to look for people posting SOE is great that got 1-10 posts made before.

• stillkillinstillkillin Member Posts: 221

omg lol

how sad is it that $OE has had to stoop down to giving out freebee's in order to get the fanbots to come here and make a post one a month about how the nge is fun

i smell lawsuits coming on

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

Where was this admission of his?  I'm all for nailing shills and all but unless you can prove it its not really appropriate to make accusations.  Not that I don't believe it if its who I think it is, but still....

Edit: NM, I found it and was who I thought it was.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• BadgerSmakerBadgerSmaker Member Posts: 629

I organise a European fan party once a year for my fellow SWG fans in Europe, I pay for the rental of a room in a pub in London out of my own pocket and SoE are kind enough to send me a small box of stuff to give away to everyone.

I posted a thread here inviting people to it, remember?

Come along next year if you want a T-Shirt, they are free.

Edit:  Here's the link where I invited you all: [EVENT] European SWG Fan Party: London - Saturday 7th February 2009

• Vincen76Vincen76 Member Posts: 33

That was a nice event, always good to meet other players and get an opportunity to listen to their problems face to face. Its quite a different experience than what you usually see on the forums, which was quite refreshening.

Of course, the cost of the event would have been nice to have covered by SOE, but unfortunately it doesn't really work that way.

I got 2 t-shirts, a pen and a deck of cards? No that was given to someone else, but Zimoon recieved the signed poster from the development team because he had travelled the longest (From Stockholm).

So 2 t-shirts, a pen and some of those temporary tatoos I think I got too.

Cost was as far as I remember about 1,500 DKK in total (400-500 DKK for hotel room, 4-500 DKK per flight ticket) but then I also had to get a new digicam, so it ended up being about 5,000 DKK in total.

Thats 5000 DKK, 570 GBP, 671 EUR or 960 USD.

But yeah, the items we got where free!

• OgrelinOgrelin Member Posts: 636

SOE gave me a new car to post this here!.... QQ

• FishermageFishermage Member Posts: 7,562

SOE flew me to Vegas once, and I made a very positive post after that, because I made some friends there (Greypawn, Valara, and Virrago, mostly), and had decided to forgive (but not forget). I still felt and feel that the NGE was extremely stupid and unethical.

Very shortly after that, however, SOE showed that my forgiveness was in vain, and they still sucked bols. I therefore resumed posting critically. They never invited me again.

Now to be fair, no one from SOE EVER told me or asked me what to say -- they merely gave me their side of the story, which I listened to. I don't know what deals other people may get or have gotten. Well that's what happened on my side of the mountain.

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

Hmm sounds like AoC's paid MMORPG poster AmazingAvery needs to start disclosing his connection to Funcom.  Same should be said for boojiboy who posts for SOE in the Vanguard forum.

• efefiaefefia Member Posts: 631

How about your boy Fisher doing a complete 180, going from zealous hater to fanboi after he was given an all expenses paid trip to Vegas?

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/posts/list.m?topic_id=436303

There's yet another so called enraged "vet" with as much moral fibre as a cuckoo chick.

...The spread of secondary and latterly of tertiary education has created a large population of people, often with well developed literary and scholarly tastes, who have been educated far beyond their capacity to undertake analytical thought.

Originally posted by efefia

How about your boy Fisher doing a complete 180, going from zealous hater to fanboi after he was given an all expenses paid trip to Vegas?

There's yet another so called enraged "vet" with as much moral fibre as a cuckoo chick.

Thanks for sharing the post so I didn't have to search for it myself. Too bad I beat you to the punch with my own self disclosure. Your description of what happened however was a flat out lie. I was never a hater (hate is not really in my emotional repertoire) nor was I ever a fanboi. I was being FORGIVING and magnanimous in my post; then SOE continued to do bad things, at which point I resumed being critical.

I continue to share my honest opinions when anyone asks.

No biggie though since the actual facts speak for themselves. I remain a highly critical player of the game and have proven nobody can buy me.

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221
    Originally posted by Ogrelin

SOE gave me a new car to post this here!.... QQ

Man and all i got was a TV.  SOE sucks!!

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    Originally posted by grandpagamer

SOE sucks!!

Screenshot!

• efefiaefefia Member Posts: 631
    Originally posted by Fishermage

Thanks for sharing the post so I didn't have to search for it myself. Too bad I beat you to the punch with my own self disclosure. Your description of what happened however was a flat out lie. I was never a hater (hate is not really in my emotional repertoire) nor was I ever a fanboi. I was being FORGIVING and magnanimous in my post; then SOE continued to do bad things, at which point I resumed being critical.

No biggie though since the actual facts speak for themselves. I remain a highly critical player of the game and have proven nobody can buy me.

Yep the facts speak for themselves, by your own admission you were "somewhat critical of the changes brought to our game. I have been quite passionate at times, and the discussion of things has often gotten heated. " 

However after an all expenses paid trip to Vegas....You said..."My sword is now sheathed, and now I will work to help you build up the trust that has been broken."

People can make their own minds up from that how much credability your opinion holds... and back on iggy you go, adieu!

...The spread of secondary and latterly of tertiary education has created a large population of people, often with well developed literary and scholarly tastes, who have been educated far beyond their capacity to undertake analytical thought.

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448

Damn I'm good. Do I win anything for calling that one?

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• ErstokErstok Member Posts: 523

An unpolished diamond that turned out to be a hunk a shit do to idiots.  Simple as that.  As for Lucas he's just giving fanboys junk to cream over alienating the original as well as the die hard fans.  What ever happened to the <3 of Boba Fett or wanting to tap Luke Skywalkers sisters ass.  Tis a shame.  That poster was so hot back in the day.  Now I can't help but feel a sense of vomit induced headaches  Cheers to the stagnant hollowed beast now known as SWG!  You did it idiots.  You created an unwavering group of fanboys who want to jack off over there lightsabers and could care less about anything other then themselves.

When did you start playing "old school" MMO's. World Of Warcraft?

Originally posted by Fishermage

Yep the facts speak for themselves, by your own admission you were "somewhat critical of the changes brought to our game. I have been quite passionate at times, and the discussion of things has often gotten heated. " 

However after an all expenses paid trip to Vegas....You said..."My sword is now sheathed, and now I will work to help you build up the trust that has been broken."

People can make their own minds up from that how much credability your opinion holds... and back on iggy you go, adieu!

Yup, and within a month, Deadmeat was flaming me for being overly negative and critical. All you proved is that I try to be a man of grace.

You have failed in your weak attempt. Adieu to you too.

Originally posted by Daffid011

SOE sucks!!

Screenshot!

Haa, wondered how long i would take the hardcore haters to show up. Your partner has a post defending himself farther along have to go see what insight is posted there.

• MortisRexMortisRex Member UncommonPosts: 350

This thread desperately needs the attention of a clinical psychologist.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

SOE sucks!!

Screenshot!

Haa, wondered how long i would take the hardcore haters to show up. Your partner has a post defending himself farther along have to go see what insight is posted there.

Yeah I was afraid you would miss the intended humor in that joke and go all crazy on me.  Lighten up, ok?

I don't have a partner and everything else you said makes little sense to be honest. 

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Originally posted by Abrahmm

Damn I'm good. Do I win anything for calling that one?

Pfft.  You had a 50/50 chance of being right.  It was either him or Obriak.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

SOE sucks!!

Screenshot!

Yeah I was afraid you would miss the intended humor in that joke and go all crazy on me.  Lighten up, ok?

I don't have a partner and everything else you said makes little sense to be honest. 

No, i see the humor in most of your "sony ruined my game 4 yrs ago and i cant let it go" posts. I also find it humorous how some people will forget their stance on things for a few perks. But you know exactly what i meant so your defensive postureing is just that.

This discussion has been closed.