Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard SOH (Great Game)

Just wanted to mention Vanguard on the forums here as SOE has made a huge improvement on the game in the past 6 months, PvP is great, still a few balance issues but allot of fun with the new lvl cap and spell components, new dungeons and content are awesome and the lag hitching problems have been improved allot, this game is amazing, the 14 Day Trial is well worth it and im willing to bet you stick around after playing it, Sartok (PvP Server) is picking up, but we need YOU the MMO community to help rebuild this great game, I promise you will not regret it...Here is a video from Tamere a long time vanguard player and a great movie editor.....Enjoy and hope to see a few new faces.

http://vgplayers.station.sony.com/newsArchive.vm?id=929&section=News

Comments

• John.A.ZoidJohn.A.Zoid Member Posts: 1,531

When they said they were remodeling the character models I thought Great! Then they showed them off and they were still as ugly as ever. Until they fix them horrible ugly character models I will not be interested.

• Evolution8Evolution8 Member Posts: 128

They have apperance slots now, the armor can remain the same if you choose, and also enhanced with runes and gems now, I thought the same thing with the models at first, but really it's not much of a difference if any really, the toons just look more detailed and strong, see for yourself, you wont be upset

Edit-Screenshots do not do justice

• dalestaines1dalestaines1 Member Posts: 107
    Originally posted by John.A.Zoid

When they said they were remodeling the character models I thought Great! Then they showed them off and they were still as ugly as ever. Until they fix them horrible ugly character models I will not be interested.

I have to agree.

The thing that turns me off is the bad avatar animation (even running).  It's too close to something like World of Warcraft without the polish, so you can't help but to compare.  Unfortunately, Vanguard just turns me off visually.  I'm sure it's great for people that can see past that.  I wish that I could.

• NovaKayneNovaKayne Member Posts: 743
    Originally posted by dalestaines1

Originally posted by John.A.Zoid

I have to agree.

The thing that turns me off is the bad avatar animation (even running).  It's too close to something like World of Warcraft without the polish, so you can't help but to compare.  Unfortunately, Vanguard just turns me off visually.  I'm sure it's great for people that can see past that.  I wish that I could.

I understand.  I like Vanguard myself but, cannot get over it with WoW and Aion. 

I know it is superficial to not like a game just because of the art style but, meh.  What can you do, if it makes your eyes bleed it makes your eyes bleed.  :/

Say hello, To the things you've left behind. They are more a part of your life now that you can't touch them.

just like all games, it's not for everyone, but Im confident if you downloaded the game again you would enjoy it, i don't see the WoW aspect in the game at all and thats why i play it, but yes, not all people are willing to give it a second chance, but it is one of the best mmos out atm, and for people who have not tried it yet, well, your missing out :)

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

While it's a nice attempt to draw some players to VG, you have to be honest about certain...important things.  Since you are promoting the PvP server (Sartok), here's what people should know:

1.  The current dev team does not have plans to fix, tweak, and implement PvP related features.  They haven't in a long time (2 years), and have said right out there's no plans to even go as far as balancing the classes in the PvP environment.  This is a very important part that you need to let players know before they jump into a pvp server.  No class balancing in a PvP environment is not enjoyable in the long run.  It may be fun just to run after people as newbies, but the fun wears out fast when you start caring about your character and realizing the balance is out of whack.

2.  Due to the lack of dev support, many PvP players have left Sartok server, most left the game completely (I'm one of them).  The server sports no more than 100 players on during primetime, with rest of the time having half of that population.

Other than that, sure give the game a try, it's got a free trial.  But personally I'm very disappointed with VG's dev team and their lack of attention for the PvP server.  PvP at once during the first 4 months of launch was very fun, with 2,000 players running around in a non-instanced world wreacking havoc.  But back when we were promised with PvP fixes, balances, and feature additions.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

I'm playing it now, but with hardly anyone else playing it, the game is getting rather boring.  I'd be better off playing Elder Scrolls for free.

• SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111

That you Smedley?

yea PvP support has been pretty bad, like most mmos promises made but nothing ever happened, the devs are asking the community what they want next, even PvP fixes are listed, but sadly with the low population the majority votes come from PvE players.

Entering a world with complete FFA PvP is a blast, even if the classes are unbalanced, this game provides that atmosphere with very little to lose, Im not just trying to promote PvP only, PvE on the game is awesome, any server you pick for vanguard other then Sartok is going to have a good player base, hopefully soon SOE will allow players from PvE server to copy a toon to The PvP server, this is the big question for the month of August.

Yes the lack of Dev support and promises have driven people away, but they have done allot to bring people back as well, it's getting better and better every month, the content is almost endless and the future of vanguard is getting allot better, don't pass judgement tell you tried it, and for those who have, im sure I will see you all in Starwars TOR :)

Edit-The Majority left due to exploits and hacking issues and severe server lag, not imbalanced pvp, we don't see hacking anymore and the lag has improved 95%, you can be good with any class in vanguard, as of recent lvl 55 all classes seem to have a pretty good offence and defence and are pretty darn fun :)

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173
    Originally posted by Samuraisword

That you Smedley?

No, Everybody know me am Smedley. Me am make Vanguard so much gooder.  Me am think to add Micro Transaction and make more Vanguard - Iconic - professions, for so make playerbase grow like World Of Warcraft.

Me then am say everyone who join will win new flying car courtesy of super president John Smedley.

Really though, vanguard has come a long way. Its worth a try... but the population kills it.

The PvE servers are doing very well atm

• billynomatesbillynomates Member Posts: 163
    Originally posted by Evolution8

Just wanted to mention Vanguard on the forums here as SOE has made a huge improvement on the game in the past 6 months, PvP is great, still a few balance issues but allot of fun with the new lvl cap and spell components, new dungeons and content are awesome and the lag hitching problems have been improved allot, this game is amazing, the 14 Day Trial is well worth it and im willing to bet you stick around after playing it, Sartok (PvP Server) is picking up, but we need YOU the MMO community to help rebuild this great game, I promise you will not regret it...Here is a video from Tamere a long time vanguard player and a great movie editor.....Enjoy and hope to see a few new faces.

http://vgplayers.station.sony.com/newsArchive.vm?id=929&section=News

I like VG and having 5 level 50 toons and one level 54,i left because i got a bit bored. I always seem to go back again though and hit it hard for a couple of months, my sub is always open on two accounts. The vid is good but i have to ask if you or some of your guilds are running bots.

In the VID at 5.13 you or the person who made the VID leaps over the wall in Raz Inkur, i have never seen a spell that does that.

If i am wrong then what spell is it? It's not a call spell so it must be some sort of jump bot.

It looks like you have a bards run speed on but the way you leap over the wall looks wierd.

No botting, at one time Vanguard had some sort of power boots that allowed for a crazy jump boost, they have been removed from what i understand, but not a bot by any means

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Not a bad offer, unfortuntaely, like most people, I look forward rather than backwards once I've left a game.

Aion's next on my list of fantasy MMO's and will continue with my longstanding affair with EVE.

The game probably deserves a 2nd chance,  hopefully some will give it a go.

Good luck OP, hope more people actually do join and help the game grow.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• sa1yamansa1yaman Member Posts: 272

Vanguard is like zombie and Op is a necromancer. And I are funny.

PS: whats up with yamaha green grass? 

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

I tried Vanguard, and it's a solid, worthy game, but the dead servers on the EU side make it rather boring.  There's been an average of 2 to 8 people in most zones, which really takes the MMO out of the MMORPG!

I'll be giving Aion a whirl, too, in the hopes it is a decent game.

• billynomatesbillynomates Member Posts: 163
    Originally posted by Evolution8

No botting, at one time Vanguard had some sort of power boots that allowed for a crazy jump boost, they have been removed from what i understand, but not a bot by any means

Ok, you mean the Xenn power suit from the dungeon off the shores of 'The Dragon's Backbone'..?

Ok, well that explains it but i have not seen it used outside the dungeon but then again i only did that dungeon on my first toon which was over 2 years ago.

I didn't see if it worked outside the dungeon.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

1. Great game design.  Good classes, races, great combat design.  I like the world design, and the character animations though I know some will disagree on the animations.  Movement is more fluid than eq1 and of course tons better than lotro.

2. Poor coding.  Its come a long way,  but it has a long ways to go before it is as good as practically any other game and I dont think it will get there.  Too many bugs and not enough developers to fix it.  Though I remember people saying too many bugs when we played eq1 too.  But this is worse.

3.  Either you dont play vg or you are just BS'ing about the pvp.  Everyone knows its awful.

4. Not enough end game content, too much pure grind. 

On the whole, Ive left vg 2x and come back 2x.  I have played UO. wow, eq1, eq2, and lotro and right now with all its problems I still think vg is superior.  But I will probably leave again if something new comes.