Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com review rating has been revealed

Comments

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

HAHA this is just priceless with the fanbots calling the review carebear, go back and cry to daddy Tasos.

Originally posted by parrotpholk

RFO got a 7.6. OK any review done here is null and void. I take back anything I said to defend the review.

Ofc this is a void review, so is any other review that says anything bad about DFO, the only reliable review is the one from that spanish website, you know, the one that has the "Warhammer 40k Online" MMO rated at 8.5... that MMO is awesome I just love those spanish guys they know their stuff not like these MMORPG.com carebears.

• xzyaxxzyax Member Posts: 2,459
    Originally posted by mklinic

So..EvE scored 8.3 and 8.5 between two reviews and those are some of the highest scores the site has given...Clearly a themepark oriented site if ever I saw one!

Yup.

Yeah, bored at work today; and I was frustrated that you couldn't easily see from the game list which games had reviews and which ones didn't.  You also can't easily see what the reviewer score is from the game list.

So... I decided to take this opportunity to list them all for everyone to see.

Good or bad... those are the scores that the official mmorpg.com reviews as presented on this site.

They range from 5.1 to 8.5

Only 1 MMO has scored below a 6.0

4 MMOs (including DarkFall) have scored a 6.0

The readers of this forum can decide from themselves now how well they think a 6.0 score is on mmorpg.com.  If anyone sees an error that I've made in the table, please point it out and I will correct it.

Who knows, perhaps mmorpg.com will decide to make that information available from their own game list... hint, hint. 

P.S.  I added the full list of MMO reviews for context in this thread... but please remember to keep this thread to discussion about DarkFall.  If you have problems with other MMO review scores... make a thread about it in it's forum.  Thanks. 

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333
    Originally posted by atziluth

Originally posted by Izure

Originally posted by atziluth

This is a carebear review based on 90% carebear reviewing website.

This is a better review and much more thorough

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http://www.gamestar.de/specials/spiele/1957828/darkfall_online.html&sl=de&tl=en&history_state0=

I find it ironic that you are pushing this "review", but apparently failed to read it. Other then a few short mentions, almost nothing was written about PvP. Instead the first 4 pages were dedicated to mob AI, questing, and grouping. (PvE centric things).

The link you posted is not a review. It is an article that touches on some features and gives a very very basic outline of combat (melee, magic, and archery). There is no depth to the article in question so I am curious why you would even link it.

Lol touching on features of a game and different combat styles is not a review? lol you know what the defintion of review is and what a opinion is.

O ya and the review from mmorpg had LOTS MORE PVP and other stuff in the 2 pages lol.

I made the text red where it shows your hypocrisy.

You claim that the MMORPG.COM review is carebear coming from a carebear source then go on to claim that your link is to a more in depth review from a better source. Both accusations are clearly false.

Going over basic features is not a review, unless you would consider an instruction manual from a game a review. All written reviews are articles, but not all articles are written reviews. A review would be evaluating the features in question, not just giving a basic overview of them. Hope that clears things up for you since you seem a little confused.

i give you that the gamestar article is not a review. Gamestar calls it a "DarkFall special".  These article and the previous one "DarkFall : back to the roots" let gamers hope that good journalism will  review DarkFall - along with the the spanish meristation and UK's Total PCgaming -

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by Paragus1

Originally posted by Kyleran

I see your point Paragus1, however the Eurogamer re-review did a great job explaining the challenge of reviewing an MMORPG and determining how much play time is enough.
    In the end, reviews are heavily slanted towards the playstyle the reviewer prefers.  I review EVE, I give it an 8.5 or 9.  Other folks would give it a 3 or 4.   None of us are either right or wrong, just our preference.
    I agree, if the reviewer could have experienced the metagame somehow he might have been a bit more favorable.  Seems like his biggest reason to downgrade it was he wasn't having "fun".  EVE suffers in the same manner, till players figure out how to find their fun, the game holds no appeal.

Ya I agree with you.  When I write my reviews and impressions I make a point to not try to assign a number score.   Different people like different things.  I might be inclined to take off points on a game for it being too casual because of my playstyle, and someone else would see casual friendly as being a positive.

As for DF, I think people who really get intrenched in the politcal stuff would probably give the game a higher score.   The nature of the game however is that a lot of people may never really get a chance to experience that depending on who you socialize with and where you rank in your guild or alliance.   Darkfall could do itself a big favor for itself to do something to introduce players to that part of the game early on so that people have a higher chance of experiencing the meta game.  Adding an in-game political map would go a long ways as an example.  I got to see a lot more of this sort of thing than most players did, which probably correlates to me enjoying the game more than a lot of people did.

I'm sure if Darkfall still exists a year or so from now with a healthy population, a rereview would be in order, but this score based off pre-expansion playing is as fair as the next guys.

Read it again. He states in the beginning he played both before AND after the "expansion" ( of course, he calls it a patch instead of an expansion because he at least seems to recognize the difference between the two ).

• tombear81tombear81 Member Posts: 810

A terrible insult to games which are actually 6/10. However, thankfully most MMOs are better than 6 so least DF doesn't darken our doorsteps too much.

That said...

Sorry MMORPG, you opted for the easy route. The middle ground score for managing these forums. This is epic fail on many levels for reviewing. But still nevermind eh ? Personally, I would have increased my integrity in a time where many sites are paid shills by gving the game 5 or 4. Then it would match the text. If you'd done this there would only be about 4 regulars  on these forums which would QQ and whine. But since they do that anyways what really would have changed? Or was it Lord Taco Bells wrath you feared ? Ah heck he probably won't read past the second line and go straight for the score. Too busy working out a new form of trickery me thinks. Anyways your safe... !

And I'll leave it wit this quote

"In fact, I just couldn't find it playable in any enjoyable way."

and this fraction .... 6/10

Originally posted by parrotpholk

Well I guess since I give WOW a 4, it must be full of fail amirite?

lol ignorant children these days are funny.

No its your opinion as is all reviews in case you havent noticed. I know you are butthurt because no one but a small small select few think like you. Thats ok as someone with your obvious shortcomings is just bad breeding. Thats said get over it. DF is as close to DOA as someone can get without being that. Its cool you and DArth like it but quit acting all hurt when you are the only 2 defending it as near as I can tell.

Right back at your kid, sorry its not a hand holding do this and kill certain amount of those to get to the next level type of game, thats not me, I am no carebear and I like the thrill of DFO,  DOA was all mmorpg's when WOW came out, not people are doing different stuff to please other types, bad breeding? lol relax kiddy, I have as much respect for this website as I do for my toenails, Ill watch it sometimes but generally ignoring it.

Lol community is bad? lol who would  of think a highly competitve game would have a small and nice shot type of community is pure retarded.

Only reason why I post here is I am banned from dfo forums, for posting negative feedback of the game(the points they fixed in the last couple of patches).

And I know all reviews are matter of opinions, I said that dozens of times, for you to think I dont means you are probably a retard who tried to screw a doorknob.

A few things:

Using the term "carebear" automatically marks you as negligible.

Thank you for providing another shining example of the Darkfall community, for those times when people really can't believe how much it sucks.

Calling people "kiddy" as an insult when you have the grammar and social skills of a lobotomized chimpanzee really doesn't help your cause.

• MoretrinketsMoretrinkets Member Posts: 730

fanboys should be happy this site gave Darkfall a 6, I was expecting no more than 5. it would be ridiculous to give a 7 or 8 considering this game feels like a paid beta from 2002. still fanboys should rejoice, this was a morale booster, maybe a temporary one, as the reviewer said the illusion quickly vanishes....

• StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696
    Originally posted by tombear81

A terrible insult to games which are actually 6/10. However, thankfully most MMOs are better than 6 so least DF doesn't darken our doorsteps too much.
    That said...
    Sorry MMORPG, you opted for the easy route. The middle ground score for managing these forums. This is epic fail on many levels for reviewing. But still nevermind eh ? Personally, I would have increased my integrity in a time where many sites are paid shills by gving the game 5 or 4. Then it would match the text. If you'd done this there would only be about 4 regulars  on these forums which would QQ and whine. But since they do that anyways what really would have changed? Or was it Lord Taco Bells wrath you feared ? Ah heck he probably won't read past the second line and go straight for the score. Too busy working out a new form of trickery me thinks. Anyways your safe... !

The management of this site had absolutely nothing to do with the score. Hate to burst your self-righteous bubble, but 6/10 was the score that was handed to us by the independent reviewer. It was the number that he felt was fair, not a number that we negotiated and chose based on... well, anything. Again, we had nothing to do with it. Just FYI.

You may not agree with that score, and that's entirely your perogative, but inventing conspiracy theories is a bit of a knee-jerk reaction, no?

Hope that clears things up for you.

Cheers,
    Jon Wood
    Managing Editor
    MMORPG.com

• BaronJuJuBaronJuJu Member UncommonPosts: 1,832

What I find funny is the review of SWG, post NGE, received a higher rating than this. Pretty sad when the NGE kicks your ass in ratings.

"If we don't attack them, they will attack us first. So we'd better retaliate before they have a chance to strike"

• xzyaxxzyax Member Posts: 2,459

That said...

You have to remember though... they've only scored 1 MMO worse from the reviews that are available on this site.  I went through every single MMO currently released that is listed on their game list.

1 MMO scored a 5.1

4 scored a 6.0

The highest score is a 8.5

So in essence mmorpg.com's score range goes from 5 to 9

It basically breaks down like this if you want to try and put it on a 0-10 scale:

5.1-5.5 = 0-1

5.6-6.0 = 2-3

6.1-6.5 = 4-5

6.6-7.0 = 6

7.1-7.5 = 7

7.6-8.0 = 8

8.1-8.5 = 9

8.6-9.0 = 10

Originally posted by BaronJuJu

What I find funny is the review of SWG, post NGE, received a higher rating than this. Pretty sad when the NGE kicks your ass in ratings.

• hooptyhoopty Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by xzyax

That said...

You have to remember though... they've only scored 1 MMO worse from the reviews that are available on this site.  I went through every single MMO currently released that is listed on their game list.

1 MMO scored a 5.1

4 scored a 6.0

The highest score is a 8.5

So in essence mmorpg.com's score range goes from 5 to 9

It basically breaks down like this if you want to try and put it on a 0-10 scale:

5.1-5.5 = 0-1

5.6-6.0 = 2-3

6.1-6.5 = 4-5

6.6-7.0 = 6

7.1-7.5 = 7

7.6-8.0 = 8

8.1-8.5 = 9

8.6-9.0 = 10

Huh..I'm still waiting for Tasos approval or a rant for this score..

Some people rob you at gun point..Others will rob you at "Ball Point Pen"

• StrixMaximaStrixMaxima Member UncommonPosts: 865

Whoa, this thread delivers!

We have a review that, despite recognizing the good ideas behind the game, prefers to rate a 6, not to offend anyone too much.

We have people showing that this 6 is really bad, based on previous reviews.

We have the defenders of the game having a thread within a thread, discussing how slighted they were and just how awesome the game is, barely acknowledging the presence of the other posters.

And we have Darth, probably the most entertaining writer I've ever seen in a digital environment. His "Guassian curve" (sic) comment was really comedy gold!

My opinion: I agree with what some people said before: Review and score do not match. When you clearly state when you just cannot have fun in a game (and as far as I can remember, fun the the crux for all games), it's not just a mildly bad game. It's bad bad, period.

Originally posted by hoopty

Huh..I'm still waiting for Tasos approval or a rant for this score..

He's still hiding from the last Eurogamer one, so it might be awhile.

• AlandoraAlandora Member Posts: 337
    Originally posted by StrixMaxima

Whoa, this thread delivers!
    We have a review that, despite recognizing the good ideas behind the game, prefers to rate a 6, not to offend anyone too much.
    We have people showing that this 6 is really bad, based on previous reviews.
    We have the defenders of the game having a thread within a thread, discussing how slighted they were and just how awesome the game is, barely acknowledging the presence of the other posters.
    And we have Darth, probably the most entertaining writer I've ever seen in a digital environment. His "Guassian curve" (sic) comment was really comedy gold!
    My opinion: I agree with what some people said before: Review and score do not match. When you clearly state when you just cannot have fun in a game (and as far as I can remember, fun the the crux for all games), it's not just a mildly bad game. It's bad bad, period.

My thinking is that 6.0 is just 'playable'.   It's like a 60% on a test.  Just barely enough to pass.

The reviewer pretty much summed up most of the problems of the game.  One thing he didn't mention is the rampent hacking and cheating that goes on.   He spent a paragraph describing the looting system, but failed to mention that most of the players of the game don't loot like that because they have an insta-loot hack installed.   He mentioned how long it takes to run and find stuff.... silly him, he didn't download the teleport hack.

No wonder the fans are upset with the score, the reviewer didn't cheat enough.  It's his own fault for not being hardcore enough to install third party hacks.

• UbieUbie Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by Crackbone

Originally posted by DarthRaiden

Originally posted by Dana

Repost from other thread:
    Hey everyone - This debate has gotten me thinking. Honestly, I think our score matches our text, at least as far as our guidelines go, but I also see how they fail to sync up at a glance to some people.
    So, I've put out a call for ideas and feedback. Please keep the discussion limited to the topic of review scores and not argue about this particular one ;)
    See this blog post.

Wall of stupid.

Darth,

Just stop.  The words of the review sum up what people who you call "haters" have been saying for quite some time.  It doesn't matter whether you like Sandbox or not, etc, it has to do with the state of the actual game itself.

It's not finished compared to the standard.  It's got a god awful UI, the animations are terrible, and the game itself really lacks any sort of coherent design.  It's a bunch of concepts, which on their own are great ideas, but horribly executed.

Dana clarified the numeric rating, which, does match the text.  Darkfall is shotty ;best.  It's one step above a full on fail.

There's really nothing for you to hide behind any longer.  MMORPG says the game sucks. Eurogamer says the game sucks. The only "review" that will favor your perspective are blogs. 

We get it, you like the game. Fine.  But don't sit here and pretend that it doesn't suck.  To do so only shows your colors as a fanboy.

-Crack.

Extremely well said. I "do" understand being a huge fan of a game or anything really, but the ppl that carry it to a point of losing touch with reality are the one's I scratch my head at.

• mannymanmannyman Member Posts: 69

The review is pure horse shit.

The comments within the review are in part OK, then to turn around and give it 6 out of 10? Hey MMORPG, if you sit on the fence long enough, your will get splinters in your arse.

DFO as it stands is a good concept badly done. The world is empty, the name of the game is macro macro macro, I have seriously seen posts by people saying they would rather 'macro while I sleep than grind' - DFO = Deepsleep Fun Offline.

I play this game, and it is crap, why do I play? I just like car crashes I guess.

Stabby stab stab blue mana missile, yay! (once every 9 hours).

As for the fans, see my sig (although I notice a couple of them have dissapeared)

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

The review seems to match a 4 / 5 when looking at their number definitions. Meh.. Whatever.

• maxnrosymaxnrosy Member Posts: 608
    Originally posted by DarthRaiden

DarkFall is  acceptable.
     www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/4/view/news/showArticle/14545
    "A lot of the world simply seemed natural. From the way that towns were set up, to the way the wilderness was constructed. I had the very distinct impression that the world builders really put some love into their creation, and it showed through. On a side-note, every tree, every rock, every bush I saw was harvestable for crafting, I swear. That was awesome."
    "You can then check any UI window, and with another quick button press everything vanishes and you are in control of your character again. It almost sounds elegant, and it almost is elegant."
    "How you interact with the environment also feels very strange and will turn off a large number of people, but I do admit that I understand some of their choices."

"Actually, I had more fun in combat than I have had in most MMOs in some ways"
    "PvP is, of course, more impressive. It is, after all, the bread and butter of Darkfall and exactly what the game is centered around. It is perfectly open PvP.
     "That means that, like EVE Online, there is a certain metagame of territory control in Darkfall that has the potential to be very interesting."

These MMORPG.com review is acceptable.
    He seems to understand the concepts of the game but just in some occasions in which the target audience of the game has to be split in "those who the game is created for" and "those who the game is not created for" he seemingly favors the concerns of the second group..which explains that  6 that would be an 7 or an 8 otherwise..

Wrong!

Final Score

Mediocre

Get it right Darth.

Watching Fanbois drop their soap in a prison full of desperate men.

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205
    Originally posted by xzyax

Just an F.Y.I. on mmorpg.com and some perspective of them giving a 6.0 review score.

That is the LOWEST score they give. 
    I have yet to find a review on this site that goes below a 6.  Perhaps someone else can find a game that has a review score lower? 

AoC got a 6 when it was given a  full review as well. 
    SWG scored a 6.5
    Hero Online scored a 6.1

For some perspective...
    EvE  = 8.5
    LoTRO = 8.5
    DAoC = 8.4
    WAR = 8.4
    Guild Wars = 8.1
    EQ = 8.0
    EQ2 = 7.9
    TCoS = 7.7
    DarkFall = 6.0

Just for a bit of history, the lowest score I have ever seen in mmorpg.com  was the 4 given to Dark and Light. Yeah, the MMO that was more scam then game...

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

I was looking forward to this review for a number of reasons. The most paramount being that I always trusted MMORPG.com and their reviews. But it seems that with this one they decided to go with the middle ground to avoid any backlash from Tasos and the tiny, yet vocal, Darkfall community.

I mean seriously, a 6.0 after everything that was said in the review? Might as well give it a 8.0, it will mean the same thing.

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

Lol community is bad? lol who would  of think a highly competitve game would have a small and nice shot type of community is pure retarded.

Ummmm, according to that China chic, the community is GREAT!!!!  Does that mean she is retarded?

Originally posted by junzo316

Ummmm, according to that China chic, the community is GREAT!!!!  Does that mean she is retarded?

Good question!

• tombear81tombear81 Member Posts: 810
    Originally posted by Stradden

That said...

The management of this site had absolutely nothing to do with the score. Hate to burst your self-righteous bubble, but 6/10 was the score that was handed to us by the independent reviewer. It was the number that he felt was fair, not a number that we negotiated and chose based on... well, anything. Again, we had nothing to do with it. Just FYI.

You may not agree with that score, and that's entirely your perogative, but inventing conspiracy theories is a bit of a knee-jerk reaction, no?

Hope that clears things up for you.

Oh perhaps it was not sit around the table kind of thing but I think anyone reviewing DF is going to play a certain series of tactics. Choosing a reviewer who new the politics and landscape rather than just playing the game. Personally I think the review is horribly inconsistent between the body text and score. Whether it was MMORPG or your "independant" reviewer, the history of Tasos QQ'ing and the fear with upsetting (ha!) the obvious traffic this forum.  Though I feel MMORPG have not understood that DF is a series car crashes.

TBH it smells of appeasement and  casts a shadow over your other reviews. In many ways Eurogamer handled this situation much better and they showed had balls. Now really with AV it doesn't really matter as they have zero money for advertising, though it leaves one optimistic that Eurogamer can stand up to bullying developers and poorly designed overhyped games.

The fact remains the score does not match the body text in any fashion. There a large sizeable number of people saying this. Nothing in the universe can match the gap between this :