Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com review rating has been revealed

Comments

• AlanakoAlanako Member Posts: 188
    Originally posted by DarthRaiden    
    DarkFall is  acceptable.

So, being ranked as one of the worst, if not the worst, game reviewed by MMORPG.com means the game is acceptable?

• RainstormeRainstorme Member Posts: 21

Well, it took all of about a minute of looking at reviewed games to figure out why 6.0 is the lowest they've given out. MMORPG.com only reviews the blockbuster MMOs. If it had the manpower to review all the small time MMOs out there you'd see a lot more scores below 6.

• shukes33shukes33 Member Posts: 1,051

Ive just reread the review again and i still think he is kinda favourable to most of the game right up untill his final comments. I think a 6 is very fair and that if he could have rated it 6.5 he would off. i must be totally misreading it though as others seem to read it as he doesnt like anything in the game and it should be rated lower....i just dont get it..why?

Can someone else tell me if i am missing something? he likes the world grathics but thinks the character models are average at best...so yes a 6...pretty much every section he speaks about he views the same...where am i going wrong lol?

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741
    Originally posted by Kyleran

I see your point Paragus1, however the Eurogamer re-review did a great job explaining the challenge of reviewing an MMORPG and determining how much play time is enough.
    In the end, reviews are heavily slanted towards the playstyle the reviewer prefers.  I review EVE, I give it an 8.5 or 9.  Other folks would give it a 3 or 4.   None of us are either right or wrong, just our preference.
    I agree, if the reviewer could have experienced the metagame somehow he might have been a bit more favorable.  Seems like his biggest reason to downgrade it was he wasn't having "fun".  EVE suffers in the same manner, till players figure out how to find their fun, the game holds no appeal.

Ya I agree with you.  When I write my reviews and impressions I make a point to not try to assign a number score.   Different people like different things.  I might be inclined to take off points on a game for it being too casual because of my playstyle, and someone else would see casual friendly as being a positive.

As for DF, I think people who really get intrenched in the politcal stuff would probably give the game a higher score.   The nature of the game however is that a lot of people may never really get a chance to experience that depending on who you socialize with and where you rank in your guild or alliance.   Darkfall could do itself a big favor for itself to do something to introduce players to that part of the game early on so that people have a higher chance of experiencing the meta game.  Adding an in-game political map would go a long ways as an example.  I got to see a lot more of this sort of thing than most players did, which probably correlates to me enjoying the game more than a lot of people did.

I'm sure if Darkfall still exists a year or so from now with a healthy population, a rereview would be in order, but this score based off pre-expansion playing is as fair as the next guys.

• IzureIzure Member Posts: 518
    Originally posted by Paragus1

Originally posted by Kyleran

I see your point Paragus1, however the Eurogamer re-review did a great job explaining the challenge of reviewing an MMORPG and determining how much play time is enough.
    In the end, reviews are heavily slanted towards the playstyle the reviewer prefers.  I review EVE, I give it an 8.5 or 9.  Other folks would give it a 3 or 4.   None of us are either right or wrong, just our preference.
    I agree, if the reviewer could have experienced the metagame somehow he might have been a bit more favorable.  Seems like his biggest reason to downgrade it was he wasn't having "fun".  EVE suffers in the same manner, till players figure out how to find their fun, the game holds no appeal.

Ya I agree with you.  When I write my reviews and impressions I make a point to not try to assign a number score.   Different people like different things.  I might be inclined to take off points on a game for it being too casual because of my playstyle, and someone else would see casual friendly as being a positive.

As for DF, I think people who really get intrenched in the politcal stuff would probably give the game a higher score.   The nature of the game however is that a lot of people may never really get a chance to experience that depending on who you socialize with and where you rank in your guild or alliance.   Darkfall could do itself a big favor for itself to do something to introduce players to that part of the game early on so that people have a higher chance of experiencing the meta game.  Adding an in-game political map would go a long ways as an example.  I got to see a lot more of this sort of thing than most players did, which probably correlates to me enjoying the game more than a lot of people did.

I'm sure if Darkfall still exists a year or so from now with a healthy population, a rereview would be in order, but this score based off pre-expansion playing is as fair as the next guys.

Ya I concur scoring a game is just stupid, all you should post is what you like/dislike and what  style of play you think the game is.

This review was horrible and had no depth and barely touch the game.

He obviously did not know what this game is are suppose to be about.

Cant have a orange inspector inspect a crate of apples, all he will know is that they are both a fruit.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333
    Originally posted by shukes33

Ive just reread the review again and i still think he is kinda favourable to most of the game right up untill his final comments. I think a 6 is very fair and that if he could have rated it 6.5 he would off. i must be totally misreading it though as others seem to read it as he doesnt like anything in the game and it should be rated lower....i just dont get it..why?
    Can someone else tell me if i am missing something? he likes the world grathics but thinks the character models are average at best...so yes a 6...pretty much every section he speaks about he views the same...where am i going wrong lol?

Yea i had the same feeling , that his final comments don't fit the text and review up to the point. Maybe as excuse for his rating because no one would understand a 6 after reading the review text up to that point.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• MaughannMaughann Member Posts: 139

This posted in the review discussion thread by MMORPG.com's own Dana on what 'Acceptible' actually means in this case:-

Originally posted by Dana

One random note.

The "description" (in this case 6 / Acceptable) word we use with each review is probably outdated. As far as our editorial guidelines go, we look at this kind of like school (9 is an A, 7 is a C, etc.).

Thus, to us, 6 is a D. Acceptable is not really the correct descriptor word (we're working on that).

• MaughannMaughann Member Posts: 139
    Originally posted by parrotpholk

Originally posted by Maughann

This posted in the review discussion thread by MMORPG.com's own Dana on what 'Acceptible' actually means in this case:-
    One random note.
    The "description" (in this case 6 / Acceptable) word we use with each review is probably outdated. As far as our editorial guidelines go, we look at this kind of like school (9 is an A, 7 is a C, etc.).
    Thus, to us, 6 is a D. Acceptable is not really the correct descriptor word (we're working on that).

In other words its not full on fail but its as close as you can get. Got it.

Pretty much...nopt exactly the world-changing, baby-eating messiah of the MMO world some people like to make it out to be..

Originally posted by parrotpholk

One random note.

In other words its not full on fail but its as close as you can get. Got it.

Pretty much...nopt exactly the world-changing, baby-eating messiah of the MMO world some people like to make it out to be..

I noticed MMORPG.com newest poll is asking his readers about their stance regarding PvP  lol

Guess some upper site guys here are not that sure about what you say and consider even a change of paradigm in MMO world lol

-We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• RadiotreeRadiotree Member Posts: 81

I played for the first month and a half after release, and would have given the game a 2 or 3 when I quit. Admittedly that would have reflected my emotions and feelings for Av.

Having some time away and stepping back into a more objective spot, I’d say a 6 is a fair score. I’d now rate the game at somewhere between 5-6.

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

I dont care much for a review, but one thing does really make me angry: when people whine about the looting system. Its not the gamnes fault peopler have the inventory in a mess. Most people have a nice packed backpack to loot, some have things all over the place. Instead of whining about the  choice of freedom, whine about people to have things in bags instead.

Thank you.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

If they substituted "Marginal" for "Acceptable" that might have been enough.

But when adding in the lousy community (and community is very important to a MMO) and the less than above board behavior of Tasos and AV (missing features promised at launch, one toon per acct not per server as previously offered, etc.etc.) the rating for the game deserves to be lower. Neither of those areas were mentioned in the review. And they both are/can be considered by people when deciding to buy a game.

Game rating should have been no better than 4.

Originally posted by Radiotree

I played for the first month and a half after release, and would have given the game a 2 or 3 when I quit. Admittedly that would have reflected my emotions and feelings for Av.
    Having some time away and stepping back into a more objective spot, I’d say a 6 is a fair score. I’d now rate the game at somewhere between 5-6.

well a 5-6 or lower was fair for the first month- half, but giving it now(lots of patches later) I would give it a 7.5 with potential for  a 9. But like I said that is my opinion.

• patrikd23patrikd23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,155

DarkFall is  acceptable.
     www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/4/view/news/showArticle/14545
    "A lot of the world simply seemed natural. From the way that towns were set up, to the way the wilderness was constructed. I had the very distinct impression that the world builders really put some love into their creation, and it showed through. On a side-note, every tree, every rock, every bush I saw was harvestable for crafting, I swear. That was awesome."
    "You can then check any UI window, and with another quick button press everything vanishes and you are in control of your character again. It almost sounds elegant, and it almost is elegant."
    "How you interact with the environment also feels very strange and will turn off a large number of people, but I do admit that I understand some of their choices."

"Actually, I had more fun in combat than I have had in most MMOs in some ways"
    "PvP is, of course, more impressive. It is, after all, the bread and butter of Darkfall and exactly what the game is centered around. It is perfectly open PvP.
     "That means that, like EVE Online, there is a certain metagame of territory control in Darkfall that has the potential to be very interesting."

These MMORPG.com review is acceptable.
    He seems to understand the concepts of the game but just in some occasions in which the target audience of the game has to be split in "those who the game is created for" and "those who the game is not created for" he seemingly favors the concerns of the second group..which explains that  6 that would be an 7 or an 8 otherwise..

I think they gave it too much rating it should be a 4 or a 5 no more.

Originally posted by patrikd23

DarkFall is  acceptable.
    "A lot of the world simply seemed natural. From the way that towns were set up, to the way the wilderness was constructed. I had the very distinct impression that the world builders really put some love into their creation, and it showed through. On a side-note, every tree, every rock, every bush I saw was harvestable for crafting, I swear. That was awesome."
    "You can then check any UI window, and with another quick button press everything vanishes and you are in control of your character again. It almost sounds elegant, and it almost is elegant."
    "How you interact with the environment also feels very strange and will turn off a large number of people, but I do admit that I understand some of their choices."

"PvP is, of course, more impressive. It is, after all, the bread and butter of Darkfall and exactly what the game is centered around. It is perfectly open PvP.
     "That means that, like EVE Online, there is a certain metagame of territory control in Darkfall that has the potential to be very interesting."

He seems to understand the concepts of the game but just in some occasions in which the target audience of the game has to be split in "those who the game is created for" and "those who the game is not created for" he seemingly favors the concerns of the second group..which explains that  6 that would be an 7 or an 8 otherwise..

I think they gave it too little. I t should be a 7 or 8 no less.

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444

I think my Bible Lit. Professor should give me an A because i got an 89.77% for my final grade.

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• atziluthatziluth Member UncommonPosts: 1,190
    Originally posted by Izure

This is a carebear review based on 90% carebear reviewing website.

This is a better review and much more thorough

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http://www.gamestar.de/specials/spiele/1957828/darkfall_online.html&sl=de&tl=en&history_state0=

I find it ironic that you are pushing this "review", but apparently failed to read it. Other then a few short mentions, almost nothing was written about PvP. Instead the first 4 pages were dedicated to mob AI, questing, and grouping. (PvE centric things).

The link you posted is not a review. It is an article that touches on some features and gives a very very basic outline of combat (melee, magic, and archery). There is no depth to the article in question so I am curious why you would even link it.

-Atziluth-

- Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Originally posted by atziluth

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http://www.gamestar.de/specials/spiele/1957828/darkfall_online.html&sl=de&tl=en&history_state0=

I find it ironic that you are pushing this "review", but apparently failed to read it. Other then a few short mentions, almost nothing was written about PvP. Instead the first 4 pages were dedicated to mob AI, questing, and grouping. (PvE centric things).

The link you posted is not a review. It is an article that touches on some features and gives a very very basic outline of combat (melee, magic, and archery). There is no depth to the article in question so I am curious why you would even link it.

Lol touching on features of a game and different combat styles is not a review? lol you know what the defintion of review is and what a opinion is.

O ya and the review from mmorpg had LOTS MORE PVP and other stuff in the 2 pages lol.

• DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

Repost from other thread:

Hey everyone - This debate has gotten me thinking. Honestly, I think our score matches our text, at least as far as our guidelines go, but I also see how they fail to sync up at a glance to some people.

So, I've put out a call for ideas and feedback. Please keep the discussion limited to the topic of review scores and not argue about this particular one ;)

See this blog post.

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com
    Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Hey everyone - This debate has gotten me thinking. Honestly, I think our score matches our text, at least as far as our guidelines go, but I also see how they fail to sync up at a glance to some people.
    So, I've put out a call for ideas and feedback. Please keep the discussion limited to the topic of review scores and not argue about this particular one ;)
    See this blog post.

If the text matches the score then according to your "new score" guideline the game has to receive a C and that would be a 7 according to current rating score.

The  description of  "below average, but not unacceptable" is ridicoulous  both in use of language and as honest rating and not acceptable.

6.. is above mediocre, a game that has more good then flaws speaking for it. It is on the positive side of the rating scale.

btw trying to fit a decimal scale into a five scale bears chance of inaccuracies and they way you did it also biased in case of DF

according to the rating you propose 

one peculiarity

'F'  covers 60% of the rating of the decimal system  from  0 - 5.9

i call that NOT balanced and unacceptable because of totally inaccurate translation from the decimal system into these one

# 10 = A+ (perfect)

# 9 to 9.9 = A (great)

# 8 to 8.9 = B (above average)

# 7 to 7.9 = C (average)

# 6 to 6.9 = D (below average, but not unacceptable)

# 5 to 5.9 = F+ (failed, but not totally without redeeming qualities)

# 2 to 4.9 = F (failure, with lessening degrees of redeeming qualities)

# 0 to 1.9 = F

Even in school if  50% score and better  means success in exam and someone is not "failed" having 50%+

5 - 5.9 schould be D 

and 6 is already 'C'

Also the regularities of Guassian distribution teaches us that e peculiarity 'average'  takes the most space if it comes to "how things usually statistically distribute" ..the mass of games is mediocre and DarkFall is exceptional prooves these too.

• CrackboneCrackbone Member Posts: 212

See this blog post.

If the text matches the score then according to your "new score" guideline the game has to receive a C and that would be a 7 according to current rating score.

The  description of  "below average, but not unacceptable" is ridicoulous  both in use of language and as honest rating and not acceptable.

6.. is above mediocre, a game that has more good then flaws speaking for it.

Darth,

Just stop.  The words of the review sum up what people who you call "haters" have been saying for quite some time.  It doesn't matter whether you like Sandbox or not, etc, it has to do with the state of the actual game itself.

It's not finished compared to the standard.  It's got a god awful UI, the animations are terrible, and the game itself really lacks any sort of coherent design.  It's a bunch of concepts, which on their own are great ideas, but horribly executed.

Dana clarified the numeric rating, which, does match the text.  Darkfall is shotty ;best.  It's one step above a full on fail.

There's really nothing for you to hide behind any longer.  MMORPG says the game sucks. Eurogamer says the game sucks. The only "review" that will favor your perspective are blogs. 

We get it, you like the game. Fine.  But don't sit here and pretend that it doesn't suck.  To do so only shows your colors as a fanboy.

-Crack.

• treysmoothtreysmooth Member UncommonPosts: 648

Originally posted by patrikd23

DarkFall is  acceptable.

I think they gave it too little. I t should be a 7 or 8 no less.

LOL man it must be nice to be so set that your game MUST be good.  Even the positive reviews don't dare to spin this incomplete game as anything near that rating.  Just because it is ffa pvp doesn't make it a good game.  If it had pulled even half the ideas off that they attempted then maybe we could talk but the fact is they didn't.  The game is incomplete, full of exploits, has hackers in a p2p play game(big no no), boast full loot but all I hear of is naked pvp and lacks any meaningful story arcs/quest/lore etc etc etc etc etc....  Now after taking in all of that tell me how this game is anywhere near an 8.  At least the DF forum area on mmorpg.com is pretty good entertainment, I'd rate it an 8, ah there ya go we have an 8 for something DF related.

• atziluthatziluth Member UncommonPosts: 1,190

Originally posted by atziluth

Lol touching on features of a game and different combat styles is not a review? lol you know what the defintion of review is and what a opinion is.

O ya and the review from mmorpg had LOTS MORE PVP and other stuff in the 2 pages lol.

I made the text red where it shows your hypocrisy.

You claim that the MMORPG.COM review is carebear coming from a carebear source then go on to claim that your link is to a more in depth review from a better source. Both accusations are clearly false.

Going over basic features is not a review, unless you would consider an instruction manual from a game a review. All written reviews are articles, but not all articles are written reviews. A review would be evaluating the features in question, not just giving a basic overview of them. Hope that clears things up for you since you seem a little confused.

-Atziluth-

- Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

• xzyaxxzyax Member Posts: 2,459
    MMORPG.COM Game Reviews
    MMO Game Title

Released

Review Score

Re-Review Score

Adv. Quest Worlds

10/10/2008

Age of Conan

5/20/2008

Asda Story 8/25/2008

City of Heroes

4/27/2004

City of Villains 10/31/2005

Dark Age of Camelot 10/10/2001

Darkfall

2/25/2009

Disney's Toontown Online

6/2/2003

Dofus

9/1/2005

Dungeon Runners

5/24/2007

Dungeons & Dragons Online

2/28/2006

EVE Online

5/6/2003

EverQuest

3/16/1999

?

EverQuest II

11/8/2004

Final Fantasy XI

10/28/2003

?

Freaky Creatures

3/24/2009

Free Realms

4/28/2009

Fusion Fall

1/14/2009

Guild Wars

4/26/2005

Guild Wars Factions

4/28/2006

Guild Wars Nightfall

10/27/2006

Helbreath

10/25/2003

Hero Online

7/31/2006

Istaria: Chronicles of the... (Horizons)

12/8/2003

Lineage 2

4/27/2004

Lord of the Rings Online

4/24/2007

NeoSteam

6/12/2009

Pixie Hollow

9/20/2008

Project Powder

5/8/2009

Ragnarok Online

11/30/2002

RF Online

11/21/2006

Runes of Magic

3/19/2009

Ryzom

9/20/2004

Scions of Fate (Yulgang)

2/2/2007

Shot Online

6/28/2005

Star Wars Galaxies

6/23/2003

Sword of the New World:

7/10/2007

The Chronicles of Spellborn

4/23/2009

The Matrix Online

3/22/2005

U.B. Funkeys

9/26/2007

Ultima Online

9/30/1997

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes

1/30/2007

Warhammer Online:

9/18/2008

Wizard 101

9/2/2008

World of Warcraft

11/23/2004

Yohoho! Puzzle Pirates

12/8/2003

The table above comprises all reviews done by mmorpg.com

The scores range from 5.1 (low) to 8.5 (high)

Since the scale is from 5.1 to 8.5... you can decide for yourself how well a 6.0 is on that scale. 

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981

So..EvE scored 8.3 and 8.5 between two reviews and those are some of the highest scores the site has given...Clearly a themepark oriented site if ever I saw one!

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence