Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall: Darkfall Online Review

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

MMORPG.com Reviewer Sean Bulger has been spending some time in Aventurine's Darkfall Online and today files his complete review.

Many MMOs that get released tend to follow a pretty standard formula. They appeal to the masses and tend to follow whatever the top game on the market happens to do. That title used to belong to EverQuest, and now it belongs to World of WarCraft. Some games, however, tend to target niche audiences with the hopes of winning over people that are not as interested in the more mainstream titles. In some cases, this has proven to be a very successful strategy, as shown by the ever-increasing subscriber-base of EVE Online. In some cases, however, this tends to fall short, such as what happened to ShadowBane.

Darkfall is a game much like the two mentioned above. It focuses on an open-PvP environment, player-controlled territory, sieges, and guild/alliance wars, with harsh penalties abound. It does not follow the mainstream design for most MMOs, even if it does take place in a fantasy setting. If anything, I would say that it is closest to ShadowBane in design, but with plenty of departures. The question is, does this niche game actually stack up to have a chance at surviving?

Read Darkfall Online Review

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

The summary is my feeling exactly. Good review and bang on IMO.

• ninjajucerninjajucer Member Posts: 219

I think the 6 was a tad generous.

• GiubbaGiubba Member UncommonPosts: 39

Another review of this game where the text doesn't alligne with the score.

If you read the review you imagine a score below 6 instead you find a 6.

• MystlynxMystlynx Member UncommonPosts: 68

I was thinking the exact same thing once I read the review.  Especially his wrap up.  Just didn't seem to really match the score it was given.  But, after playing it myself, I can agree with the text of the review for the most part.  Personally, I thought the world was not well done either, too much clipping of placed items.  And yes, don't need to be tripping over mobs, but walk in a forest and there will be birds, small scurrying animals, insects etc.  Darkfall feels almost lifeless when you are out on your own.

• CleshClesh Member Posts: 2

It is really too bad the game turned out as it did, with most of the niche games there will be a make or break period that decides which people stay and which people go, the hardcore/niche community may stay through months of bad stability and bugs, while the crowd who come just to test a new type of game probably will go back to their old game when met with bugs and unfinished content, the reputation the game while have after that usually scares of anyone who is ''on the brink'' of testing it, lowering the income of the company which usually kills the chance the company has of bettering the game.

• shukes33shukes33 Member Posts: 1,051
    Originally posted by Clesh

It is really too bad the game turned out as it did, with most of the niche games there will be a make or break period that decides which people stay and which people go, the hardcore/niche community may stay through months of bad stability and bugs, while the crowd who come just to test a new type of game probably will go back to their old game when met with bugs and unfinished content, the reputation the game while have after that usually scares of anyone who is ''on the brink'' of testing it, lowering the income of the company which usually kills the chance the company has of bettering the game.

Funny other than "his wrap up" he mostly like the features, world graphics, combat etc and i thought the review was very accurate and honest....but i agree the write up didnt match the score, was expecting a higher end 6 maybe touching 7 :)

Oops didnt realise i pressed quote! i wasnt meaning to mate :) 

• DraccanDraccan Member Posts: 1,050
    Originally posted by Giubba

Another review of this game where the text doesn't alligne with the score.
    If you read the review you imagine a score below 6 instead you find a 6.

/agree

Reviewers are soo afraid of a hellstorm because of they predominantly are a business. If they give a too low score then they are afraid to piss of the fans so they don't come back to mmorpg.com or piss of companies that could potentially bring in revenue i the future.

Giving a game like Darkfall with antiquated graphics, lame gameplay mechanics and total lack of pve a 6 is a joke.

• m240gulfm240gulf Member UncommonPosts: 460

Maybe a clarification is in order on the score.  I thought it was on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being unplayable while 10 it was completely playable and perfect.

If you read his article, the 6 would fit based on the above logic; however I don't remember if that logic applied to reviews or it was used only in other parts of the mmorpg.com website.

I Reject your Reality and Substitute it with My Own!

• beauturkeybeauturkey Mabinogi CorrespondentMember Posts: 288

/agree
    Reviewers are soo afraid of a hellstorm because of they predominantly are a business. If they give a too low score then they are afraid to piss of the fans so they don't come back to mmorpg.com or piss of companies that could potentially bring in revenue i the future.
    Giving a game like Darkfall with antiquated graphics, lame gameplay mechanics and total lack of pve a 6 is a joke.

They aren't afraid of "pissing off fans." lol

If you think that, you haven't seen some of the things they feature, write, or link to. I mean, in this very article he basically says that Vanguard had more polish than Darkfall. If that isn't asking for players to respond strongly, I don't know what is.

Beau

Listen to the Spouse Aggro podcast at spouseaggro.com. Twitter: spouseaggro

• DraccanDraccan Member Posts: 1,050
    Originally posted by beauturkey

/agree

If you think that, you haven't seen some of the things they feature, write, or link to. I mean, in this very article he basically says that Vanguard had more polish than Darkfall. If that isn't asking for players to respond strongly, I don't know what is.

Beau

Because they know a rave review or anything remotely like it would spark even more hate on the forums. I really doubt anyone can seriously give it a 6 / 10 if you aren't a diehard fan.

Look at this:

Final Score

Acceptable

Pros

Good concepts

Non-Standard design

Well designed world

Cons

Clunky controls

Huge lack of polish

Little content

Very niche audience

Very poor interface

Consider:

What game could possibly then get a 1, 2 or 3? Or even a four or five?

This is not serious reviewing.

• ID10TID10T Member Posts: 110

Well, I don't really agree with the reviewer I have been playing DF since release on EU and now I am on NA. I can't go back to the cartoon games ever again, DF graphic are very cool I think the down side is most people don't have a power house machine to turn up the graphic past medium it really is the next GEN in graphic games. I played wow for 4 years and many others  and I just couldn't get past the graphics, but then again these are things I value, maybe most readers look for quest where I personally couldn't give a dang about quest. DF world is so huge I keep finding new things all the time.

is it a niche game maybe, but I enjoy it. Like the reviewer said if you don't have the stomach for losing your stuff then don't play it. but for the most part understand that your stuff will come and go, As for the banking system you use bags to organise your items. the bank is endless in size and free at the get go. you used colored bags to organize your stuff.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

/agree

Beau

Maybe because Vanguard was when it launched.    I played Vanguard at launch and I happen to get a chance to play DFO a few times on a friends account and vanguard was way more finished and polished compared to DFO.    So don't even go there.

• green13green13 Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

I think that review was truly terrible.

The PvP is impressive? 90% of PvP is well-equipped more experienced players killing naked ones. At best it could be described as humorous.

And the racial alignment penalty system.... nice how he just completely glossed over the many and varied ways that this is exploited.

Personally I really enjoyed the combat system in this game. FPS was a nice change. I do miss it.

But the fusion of heavy skill-grinding and full-loot open pvp makes a joke of this game. PvP isn't about castle sieges or big, impressive battles - it's just a non-stop gankfest.

This is a game where the devs turn a blind eye to macro'ing and botting, because going afk for several hours while other players hit you with a sword is apparently good game design....

• IzureIzure Member Posts: 518

This game wont ever get better then a 6 or 7, and it does lack polish, and the melee fighting at the moment is dull, also the time sinks are a bit of a pain or the fact that you can master everything.

But I like the game, and I am one of those niche that fell in love with it.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by ID10T

Well, I don't really agree with the reviewer I have been playing DF since release on EU and now I am on NA. I can't go back to the cartoon games ever again, DF graphic are very cool I think the down side is most people don't have a power house machine to turn up the graphic past medium it really is the next GEN in graphic games. I played wow for 4 years and many others  and I just couldn't get past the graphics, but then again these are things I value, maybe most readers look for quest where I personally couldn't give a dang about quest. DF world is so huge I keep finding new things all the time.
    is it a niche game maybe, but I enjoy it. Like the reviewer said if you don't have the stomach for losing your stuff then don't play it. but for the most part understand that your stuff will come and go, As for the banking system you use bags to organise your items. the bank is endless in size and free at the get go. you used colored bags to organize your stuff.

Thanks for the laugh!

• YunbeiYunbei Member Posts: 898

6? Sheesh, sorry, but thats an entirely political rating if I may say so, not to aggravate anyone too much. Bad enough for the haters, not too bad for the fanbois. Sorry, but compared to other sixes DFO is NO 6 at all. Period.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

A score of 5 would be generous, 6 is charity.

Originally posted by Yunbei

6? Sheesh, sorry, but thats an entirely political rating if I may say so, not to aggravate anyone too much. Bad enough for the haters, not too bad for the fanbois. Sorry, but compared to other sixes DFO is NO 6 at all. Period.

Right because 6 for you is based on nice and pretty butterfly worlds and no actual gameplay or risk.

People who like conquest, PVP, FPS, will like this game.

Only thing I think needs changing, is a few mechanics, the grind(or skill cap added) and more depth in melee combat.

Everything else is perfect  to me, I did not come here to "Quest" for you mentioning that you should hear the line GO BACK TO WOW.

{ Mod Edit }

• spacebotspacebot Member UncommonPosts: 148

WoW did not even have current generation graphics at launch. There are mmos older than WoW that have better graphics than WoW.

Also DF does not have next gen graphics. It has current/sub current graphics. Mostly for large pvp battle streamline reasons yes? Though it DOES look much better than WoW. (Though that's not saying much.)

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by Izure

Right because 6 for you is based on nice and pretty butterfly worlds and no actual gameplay or risk.

Only thing I think needs changing, is a few mechanics, the grind(or skill cap added) and more depth in melee combat.

Everything else is perfect  to me, I did not come here to "Quest" for you mentioning that you should hear the line GO BACK TO WOW.

I'd stay away from making broad comments as you'll usually find you're wrong. I like conquest, PvP and FPS games but I don't like Darkfall. And yes, I've played it to know that I don't like it.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• shukes33shukes33 Member Posts: 1,051

Is it just me or did the reviewer actually say more good things than bad about it? and that he actually enjoyed most of what he talked about untill the very end of his review? did i miss a page or something? it seemed he enjoyed most of the game but scored it down mainly due to lack of fulfilling potential!

In this respect giving it a 6 compared to his review seems fair to me! and being a player myself thought that the game although had some good features and did some things well...just wasnt for him and didnt deserve a well rounded 7...so well done to him, honest and well write.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by Teala

/agree

Beau

Maybe because Vanguard was when it launched.    I played Vanguard at launch and I happen to get a chance to play DFO a few times on a friends account and vanguard was way more finished and polished compared to DFO.    So don't even go there.

He can't help it. He has a personal axe to grind with Vanguard, so I'm told, lol! But I agree with you, Vanguard was more polished than Darkfall (not that that is saying much) relatively speaking at respective launches.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

Originally posted by Khalathwyr

Originally posted by Izure

I'd stay away from making broad comments as you'll usually find you're wrong. I like conquest, PvP and FPS games but I don't like Darkfall. And yes, I've played it to know that I don't like it.

I wonder if you are one of those unlucky ones that had it the first month, or played in beta. Lol the  game changed, and judging by a lot of the comments in this thread it seems, most of them have not played it the last few months.

The game changed, they had a rockey launch, name a game that did not?

Also name one other game that has conquest/pvp/fps in a mmorpg?

Sorry but this is another carebear OPINION, which has no siege or raiding, no talking about combat on mounts, archery, killing dragons, fighting on boats/war hulks, sorry but this is a premature review from a flawed reviewer.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by spacebot

WoW did not even have current generation graphics at launch. There are mmos older than WoW that have better graphics than WoW.
    Also DF does not have next gen graphics. It has current/sub current graphics. Mostly for large pvp battle streamline reasons yes? Though it DOES look much better than WoW. (Though that's not saying much.)

I have to totally disagree with this.  WoW's graphics are stylized and very well done.   The animations are top notch compared to most MMORPG's - because Blizzard reworks them if necessary to get them right.   I've played DFO and the animations are not fluid and sometimes down right ugly.    DFO is a good game, but it is nothing to brag about.   

Show me anything in DFO that comes close to being this cool and you win.

Bigger Pic <<< clicky here

Originally posted by Teala

Originally posted by spacebot

I have to totally disagree with this.  WoW's graphics are stylized and very well done.   The animations are top notch compared to most MMORPG's - because Blizzard reworks them if necessary to get them right.   I've played DFO and the animations are not fluid and sometimes down right ugly.    DFO is a good game, but it is nothing to brag about.   

Show me anything in DFO that comes close to being this cool and you win.

Bigger Pic <<< clicky here

Graphics or 100 vs 100 combat, let me choose, O here is a fun fact DFO IS A PVP game lol.