Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Comic Con Interview

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

MMORPG.com's Carolyn Koh recently attended the San Diego Comic Con. While there, she had the opportunity to speak with Alexander Freed and Dallas Dickinson of BioWare about the highly anticipated Star Wars: The Old Republic.

The time period of Star Wars: The Old Republic was chosen as deliberately as that of Knights of the Old Republic. Set 3,000 years before Darth Vader and 300 years after KotOR, Bioware is able to move around in the time line while keeping the continuity of the Star Wars expanded universe in mind as they write their story.

"Being set in a new time period, we can use the content to weave a new story," said Alexander Freed. "We are telling the story of the origins of the Sith Empire." A different empire than the one of KotOR or the one run by Emperor Palpatine, in SWTOR, the gamer will see the different strata of the Sith Empire; the slaves, the imperial families, the regular middle class, the conquered planets, and of course the upper echelon, the Sith themselves.

Read the Comic Con Interview

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• SerulithSerulith Member Posts: 92

Pretty hard to get excited about the game when they just keep telling us the same things over and over again.

• miropovomiropovo Member Posts: 55

Yeah and they have repetedly said the "There's no save button in an MMO" thing to the extent I think they didn't know that and feel they have to enlighten everyone else. I know BioWare makes good games, but this trickle of information we have been getting could bite them in the ass. In the absence of info people let their imaginations run wild and a game will rarely meet the expectations one has built up in their head. The only new thing I read was a new form of death mechanics. Skill based system with sp loss at death sort of like EVE?

• m240gulfm240gulf Member UncommonPosts: 460

Thanks for the interview mmorpg.com

Unfortunately and at no fault of your interviewer, but BioWare/La are stuck in not being able to tell us anything else beyond what they've already told us.  We have to keep in mind the cat got let out of the bag before they were ready to tell the world about the game and we are now feeling the affects.

All, good, when they have info to tell us, I'm sure they will, just sucks having to wait for it

I Reject your Reality and Substitute it with My Own!

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Did they just misspell Qui-gon Jinn there? :)

Other than that it's pretty much all standard talk we've heard so far, nothing all that new.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • JYCowboyJYCowboy Member UncommonPosts: 652

OK, if you disreguard the "choose your own adventure" aspect of the linear progression and drawing out the grind with VO (as apposed to clicking through dialog) there still remains a question.

What makes this Level/Class based IP MMOG different than what has been introduced before?

What I see is a refinement of policies LEC believes makes a better, iconic and starwarsy experiance minus the excessive drag of entertaining, resources collecting, heavy death penelty, decay and player housing.  I guess the real downturn in playing is making a bad set of chioces in your progression and ending up with a character you don't want to play.  Funny that, another reason to abandon during play.  Hmm, maybe they need to investigate player freedoms a little more.

• OdelaOdela Member Posts: 120

Ummmm....

Empire Troopers?

Choosing alignment at character creation?  

Some new info here, guys.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Since this game is probably a 2011 release to start with how much detail can they give you at this time?  Not a whole lot because most things are not set in stone yet.  So why complain about it, they are going to be giving you generalities all of this year and most of next.

If they started giving more detail, I would question their sanity.

• KylrathinKylrathin Member Posts: 426

Sith families? Interesting concept.

What bothers me the most is that they haven't even fleshed out things like death. Death in an MMO occurs pretty frequently. You would think they'd have some idea of how they want to handle it by now, especially if they're showing a public demo in a month.

There's a sucker born every minute. - P.T. Barnum

• VrazuleVrazule Member Posts: 1,095
    Originally posted by miropovo

Yeah and they have repetedly said the "There's no save button in an MMO" thing to the extent I think they didn't know that and feel they have to enlighten everyone else. I know BioWare makes good games, but this trickle of information we have been getting could bite them in the ass. In the absence of info people let their imaginations run wild and a game will rarely meet the expectations one has built up in their head. The only new thing I read was a new form of death mechanics. Skill based system with sp loss at death sort of like EVE?

That's because MMO gamers aren't their only target.  They're also very much interested in garnering the attention of single player gamers, console gamers and non-gaming Star Wars fans.  They have to keep reiterating terminology that isn't familiar to this type of audience.

After all things are considered, current MMO gamers may not even be the primary target audience.  There are probably a lot of people who go to Comic Con who are not gamers.

With PvE raiding, it has never been a question of being "good enough". I play games to have fun, not to be a simpering toady sitting through hour after hour of mind numbing boredom and fawning over a guild master in the hopes that he will condescend to reward me with shiny bits of loot. But in games where those people get the highest progression, anyone who doesn't do that will just be a moving target for them and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay money for the privilege. - Neanderthal

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

OK it's got more dialog than all the Bioware games put together...OK we get it.   It is story driven...OK we get that, too.  Now what about the rest of the game?  Is it going to be an MMORPG or a Star Wars version of Guild Wars, because that is what it is beginning to sound more and more like.

• phorsothphorsoth Member Posts: 37

I agree, at the very earliest we're looking at a late 2010 release. Either way though I agree, you can't really expect huge hunks of information when a game is so early in its development. This is why I am not very excited about this game yet, there really isn't any point in getting all hyped up when the launch is so far away...

-Ethnine-

hehe

• HrothmundHrothmund Member Posts: 1,061
    Originally posted by Teala

OK it's got more dialog than all the Bioware games put together...OK we get it.   It is story driven...OK we get that, too.  Now what about the rest of the game.  Is it going to be an MMORPG or a Star Wars version of guild wars, because that is what it is beginning to sound more and more like.

There's nothing wrong with a well-done Star Guilds. Thrown in a little bit of Diablo itemization, a quality PvP element. better replayability and end-game raid dungeons and I'd be happy to play it.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

It's Star Wars...it's Bioware...its during the Sith Empire. Sounds shitty right? (sarcasm off). I'm glad they aren't telling us new stuff everyday...it's the hype of past mmos that truly was the downfall at launch. I'll play this game if they never say another word about it until release. I'd prefer it that way...I can make my own judgements...but only after I actually play the damn thing.

It won't matter to the whiny doomspeakers though...If Bioware says  too little.....then the game probably not any good anyway..fail. Too much...and it won't live up to the hype...or as others percieve..promises of the developers...thus fail...and Bioware is eternally despised and a bunch of liars. If they release it too soon and add features later..then they are again "liars" and all the features ever possible should have been in the game already...fail. If they wait until it has all they claim and more...then it would've taken too long...and snore...again fail. If it comes out perfect....satisfying all expectations and promises..revolutionizing the industry of mmo's and gaming in general..with 10x the content of any game and 2x the player base of WOW...and weekly updates..no bugs..pays you to play it and makes you a sandwich for the privilege...washes your car and wipes your ass...then people will make shit up to bitch about.  It's always "fail" to some people.

• qbangy32qbangy32 Member Posts: 681
    Originally posted by BarCrow

It's Star Wars...it's Bioware...its during the Sith Empire. Sounds shitty right? (sarcasm off). I'm glad they aren't telling us new stuff everyday...it's the hype of past mmos that truly was the downfall at launch. I'll play this game if they never say another word about it until release. I'd prefer it that way...I can make my own judgements...but only after I actually play the damn thing.
            It won't matter to the whiny doomspeakers though...If Bioware says  too little.....then the game probably not any good anyway..fail. Too much...and it won't live up to the hype...or as others percieve..promises of the developers...thus fail...and Bioware is eternally despised and a bunch of liars. If they release it too soon and add features later..then they are again "liars" and all the features ever possible should have been in the game already...fail. If they wait until it has all they claim and more...then it would've taken too long...and snore...again fail. If it comes out perfect....satisfying all expectations and promises..revolutionizing the industry of mmo's and gaming in general..with 10x the content of any game and 2x the player base of WOW...and weekly updates..no bugs..pays you to play it and makes you a sandwich for the privilege...washes your car and wipes your ass...then people will make shit up to bitch about.  It's always "fail" to some people.

So very true.

All that matters at the end of the day is that those of us who enjoy playing games are in the games doing exactly that, than worrying about all the other crap going on around us, escaping the world for a few hours a day is relief enough for me =).

• OdelaOdela Member Posts: 120

I'm fine with them not promising the world to us right now, remember what happened to WAR?

Everyone was pissed when they couldn't deliver what the talking head, Paul Barnett, was promising.

• singsofdeathsingsofdeath Member UncommonPosts: 1,812
    Originally posted by BarCrow

QFE

The people (especially the people on these boards) cannot be pleased. It is impossible. Regardless of what BiOWare would do, people would still bitch. 

So while, on an emotional level, I want more and new information just as much as the next person, I salute BioWare for their efforts to keep info flow exclusive to the things that they have 120% confirmed. 

PLUS, people who have paid closer attention to the ComicCon Interviews actually got some news out of them. Like Item-Customization and Skill-Trees/Healing via Skill-Tree specialization, not dedicated Healing Classes. 

• PkL728PkL728 Member Posts: 82

To be honest, I would be completely happy if this game was just SW:KOTOR's 3,4,5,6,7,8,9 and 10 with multiplayer elements.  I have absolutely loved every game that Bioware has come out with and I don't see any reason to believe that this will not also be a success.  It is way too early for you people to be bitching about this game and comparing it to other games.  If BioWare sticks with it's winning formula, you know what this game will play and feel like but on a much grander scale.

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

I can't understand those actively upset over the supposed lack of information. As if any MMO, major or minor to any degree, has released any more so soon. Of course, it's the same reaction every time: GIEF MOAR OAR FAIL!

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • KylrathinKylrathin Member Posts: 426

Originally posted by Vrazule

That's because MMO gamers aren't their only target.  They're also very much interested in garnering the attention of single player gamers, console gamers and non-gaming Star Wars fans.  They have to keep reiterating terminology that isn't familiar to this type of audience.
    After all things are considered, current MMO gamers may not even be the primary target audience.  There are probably a lot of people who go to Comic Con who are not gamers.

One thing to consider is that MMO gamers were not Blizzard's prmary target, either. I only bring this up because Bioware, EA, Lucasarts, and everyone else associated with this project have stated vehemently that they are aiming a rocket launcher at the target on WoW's back. Does it dilute the game? Sure, for the intelligent and/or experienced gamer, but Bioware is capable of pretty consistently crafting stories that allow most people to suspend their disbelief. The fact that they are not aiming this at the hardcore MMO audience might, in fact, be its biggest saving grace.

There's a sucker born every minute. - P.T. Barnum

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153

This "interview" sounds a lot like someone sitting at a press conference and taking notes from two people who are using the PC Gamer preview as a script.

Can't wait for the game, but the only new thing here was that every class is going to have a 'stun' skill.

• adrianemeryadrianemery Member Posts: 250

ComicCon is a huge convention, somewhere between 100,000 to quater a million people and as said beofre a lot of these people may have only heard veryt little if anything about TOR and so this is for people at the con to get a first look.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

They are at the COMIC CON. Obviously they are NOT talking to the core MMORPG audience. They are talking to a general audience and star wars fans.

I am sure not every gamer (and potential gamer) in the world knows taht "there is no save button in an MMO" .. that is if they know what a MMO is.

• VarnstaVarnsta Member Posts: 20
    Originally posted by PkL728

To be honest, I would be completely happy if this game was just SW:KOTOR's 3,4,5,6,7,8,9 and 10 with multiplayer elements.  I have absolutely loved every game that Bioware has come out with and I don't see any reason to believe that this will not also be a success.  It is way too early for you people to be bitching about this game and comparing it to other games.  If BioWare sticks with it's winning formula, you know what this game will play and feel like but on a much grander scale.

My feelings exactly m8ee. What i am expecting from Bio is a big KOTOR 3 with MMO 'stuff'. This alone would  be enough for me in any form, and with this expectation i wont be disappointed.  Anything beyond, and indeed *IF* they manage to nail this as proper growed up MMO, then its all bonus cake to me

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by Teala

OK it's got more dialog than all the Bioware games put together...OK we get it.   It is story driven...OK we get that, too.  Now what about the rest of the game?  Is it going to be an MMORPG or a Star Wars version of Guild Wars, because that is what it is beginning to sound more and more like.

we hear all about the story side of the game, but why no word on anything else?  Is this their way of avoiding saying they are making wow with cut scenes i wonder

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Odela

Ummmm....

Empire Troopers?

Choosing alignment at character creation?  

Some new info here, guys.

umm. empire troopers, what are they exactly, because if the era chosen for the game is 300 years after kotor, but 3000 years before the films, then, these guys werent created yet, as they were created by palpatine from jango fetts dna or whatever, which i assume he will in effect be born some in 2980 years time or something ? of course, im no expert on the star wars mythos, but even i remember that from the films.