Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Population?

While I know population is NOT an accurate measure of gameplay for an MMO everyone knows that playing on ghost town servers is boring.

I bought VG awhile back and didn't like it  in the least. I've been hearing from many people for months now of just how good VG has become. I have my doubts because SOE is a terrible company and I wish very bad things on most of the people that work there for shoveling such filth. Anyway, is Vanguard a good, quality RPG? If so, how are the populations on the main servers?

Comments

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888
    Originally posted by Lord_Ixigan

While I know population is NOT an accurate measure of gameplay for an MMO everyone knows that playing on ghost town servers is boring.
    I bought VG awhile back and didn't like it  in the least. I've been hearing from many people for months now of just how good VG has become. I have my doubts because SOE is a terrible company and I wish very bad things on most of the people that work there for shoveling such filth. Anyway, is Vanguard a good, quality RPG? If so, how are the populations on the main servers?

Vanguard is better but is it a good, quality RPG?  Probably not.  It is large, kinda deep, good combat, crafting and interesting diplo system.  Quality is below average as is polish.  Depth and complexity is probably above average. 

If you are really interested you can check the trial and see how it measures up in your opinion.  Some people like it some people don't.  It has improved since launch for sure.  Population is pretty good but a lot is higher level and for the lower mid levels people are spread pretty thin all over the world.  However with rifts to teleport, cheap rentable flying mounts and continental chat it isn't hard to get around.

---
    Ethion

• krenalorkrenalor Member Posts: 214

Population=Miniscule

Well deserved for a game that was going to recall the "glory" days of EQ, EQ sucked and only had a bit of success due to no competition.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Population is everything in Vanguard.

I joined a guild that uses Ventrilo voice chat around level 11.  Within the first 10 min this girl (level 23) was complaining that all her quest were group content, and she was frustrated that she could never get groups together to do ANY OF THEM.  At first I was thinking it was no big deal as I'm the master of getting groups together in all my mmo's, Along with knowing that I'll just play the solo content until I feel like doing instances.

Well I was wrong when I hit my 20's. The game changes !!

Most all the quest turned into group quest or at least the good ones, I was left with the kill 20 wolf's quest. Missing out on the good stuff ( Lots of good stuff ).

The population of my server was just OK ( shardon ). I know for a fact how many people were always on, I constantly used the "who" search for my level range. And could never get groups together. I tried everything to play with others, asking in chat for help with my group quest. Offering help with their quest. Spamming people in " who ". no response ever. 

Now and then I would see small pockets of people playing together. And I would ask if I could join their groups, only to be ignored. I made friends with a husband and wife team, But I took 2 days off and they out leveled me and I was back solo once more.

It was suggested that I join a guild called " noberific " but it was a group of people just playing solo and was no better than using the chat channel to play together.

What were the devs thinking when they made this game ? That the world would be instant full of people to do the group content. I know Vanguard failed at first, loosing all of its players. but to play this game even if it turned out well, would need an EXTREMELY large population to have fun.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

It has become a good game and population is increasing, the only thing it lacks now would be an expansion and if i could get them to do it a relaunch.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • RompsterRompster Member Posts: 21

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Population is everything in Vanguard.

I joined a guild that uses Ventrilo voice chat around level 11. Within the first 10 min this girl (level 23) was complaining that all her quest were group content, and she was frustrated that she could never get groups together to do ANY OF THEM. At first I was thinking it was no big deal as I'm the master of getting groups together in all my mmo's, Along with knowing that I'll just play the solo content until I feel like doing instances.

Well I was wrong when I hit my 20's. The game changes !!

Most all the quest turned into group quest or at least the good ones, I was left with the kill 20 wolf's quest. Missing out on the good stuff ( Lots of good stuff ).

The population of my server was just OK ( shardon ). I know for a fact how many people were always on, I constantly used the "who" search for my level range. And could never get groups together. I tried everything to play with others, asking in chat for help with my group quest. Offering help with their quest. Spamming people in " who ". no response ever.

Now and then I would see small pockets of people playing together. And I would ask if I could join their groups, only to be ignored. I made friends with a husband and wife team, But I took 2 days off and they out leveled me and I was back solo once more.

It was suggested that I join a guild called " noberific " but it was a group of people just playing solo and was no better than using the chat channel to play together.

What were the devs thinking when they made this game ? That the world would be instant full of people to do the group content. I know Vanguard failed at first, loosing all of its players. but to play this game even if it turned out well, would need an EXTREMELY large population to have fun.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Agree 100% with this assessment. Vanguard is essentially a single-player RPG with other players flitting through quickly.  I stupidly suscribed for a month (took a week to learn the errors of my ways), and have regretted it due to the lack of people to group with.  Brings to mind the phrase " Whose Deek do I have to suck to get a group around here?"

Romp

• FlirtFlirt Member Posts: 44

What this game would benefit from is mentoring then you'd always have a group.

And this game shines when grouping in the mass multitude of caves, dungeons, castles etc.

Too bad they decided to take RMT instead some functionality like mentoring :(

• WootsonWootson Member Posts: 64

The world is just far too big for the small amount of people they have in the game these days. Maybe it's increasing, I don't know.

When I still played it there were only  500 to 1000 people online at max. This is considered very small because the world could handle at least 10.000 players to be even considered a little crowded. This game is SO huge and yet it has so few players. This was the main reason why i quit also.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

I think you need to tell us why you didn't like it. After all, it is very possible that all the things you didn't like about the game are still there, even with the better performance and bug fixes.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553
    Originally posted by Wootson

The world is just far too big for the small amount of people they have in the game these days. Maybe it's increasing, I don't know.

When I still played it there were only  500 to 1000 people online at max. This is considered very small because the world could handle at least 10.000 players to be even considered a little crowded. This game is SO huge and yet it has so few players. This was the main reason why i quit also.

1000 is about what is should be, unless there were more higher level areas for content or a way to spread the population out more.  10,000 would be ridiculous.  Even 5,000, which I think Brad said they designed the land mass for wouldn't work unless the population gets spread out more.

Even at 1000ish now, places like PotA, SoD, Ancient Port Warehouse are too crowded during primetime.  We were doing trials Tuesday night and there were 90 there doing the same thing... a bit too much.  Same with APW.  40-50 folks in the zone isn't too bad, but when it hit's 70 or more the dungeon begins to lag.

• XeonsoldierXeonsoldier Member Posts: 190
    Originally posted by boojiboy

1000 is about what is should be, unless there were more higher level areas for content or a way to spread the population out more.  10,000 would be ridiculous.  Even 5,000, which I think Brad said they designed the land mass for wouldn't work unless the population gets spread out more.

Even at 1000ish now, places like PotA, SoD, Ancient Port Warehouse are too crowded during primetime.  We were doing trials Tuesday night and there were 90 there doing the same thing... a bit too much.  Same with APW.  40-50 folks in the zone isn't too bad, but when it hit's 70 or more the dungeon begins to lag.

I'd have to disagree, the servers were meant for 2-3k per. If the development team were to remain the same size and what not, content would have been able to keep up with the players. Reason why APW is crowded is because its the only raid dungeon, SOD/POTA are crowded as they are the only 50+ areas. Now say stiirhaad, 4 other raid dungeons, and all the other content that would have been there. Then you would see why 1000 is not enough.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

But getting to 50 is Wayyyyy to pain full.

I really liked Vanguard, even to the point of playing most content solo to get to 50.  But the forced group content made it almost impossible to play past 25, when you can't get a groups.

In my two years of watching this game progress here on mmorpg. I felt as now the time was right to finally play it.  BUT I was not aware that they had forced group content. THAT KIND OF BLIND SIDED ME !

I'm not sure if this is such a largest problem most have causing them to quit.  But I would guess it is.  If so you would think the devs would fix it.  But my findings with all mmo's is that none of the games ever get fixed where fixing is needed.

I just got tired of seeing that cool little cave or keep and was unable to enter it cause of the 4 dot mobs, leaving me with the go collect 20 flowers for my stew quest.

• morpinmorpin Member Posts: 360
    Originally posted by page

I really liked Vanguard, even to the point of playing most content solo to get to 50.  But the forced group content made it almost impossible to play past 25, when you can't get a groups.
    In my two years of watching this game progress here on mmorpg. I felt as now the time was right to finally play it.  BUT I was not aware that they had forced group content. THAT KIND OF BLIND SIDED ME !
    I'm not sure if this is such a largest problem most have causing them to quit.  But I would guess it is.  If so you would think the devs would fix it.  But my findings with all mmo's is that none of the games ever get fixed where fixing is needed.
    I just got tired of seeing that cool little cave or keep and was unable to enter it cause of the 4 dot mobs, leaving me with the go collect 20 flowers for my stew quest.

I disagree that grouping is necessary after 25.  I really do think you can solo all the way to 50.  I think you will miss a lot of the best content and it might take you longer, but it can be done with moderate difficulty.    If I where to guess I would say that I spent about 1/4 of my time grouped.

What I am finding out now is that > 50 you really need to group.  I hope that will change and I think there is an effort by the developers to do that.

Originally posted by Xeonsoldier

Originally posted by boojiboy

I'd have to disagree, the servers were meant for 2-3k per. If the development team were to remain the same size and what not, content would have been able to keep up with the players. Reason why APW is crowded is because its the only raid dungeon, SOD/POTA are crowded as they are the only 50+ areas. Now say stiirhaad, 4 other raid dungeons, and all the other content that would have been there. Then you would see why 1000 is not enough.

I think we are saying the same think.  If there were 2,000-3,000 players right now with the current high level areas it would be way to crowded.  1,000 is enough in my opinion.  But if the developers where able to keep up on the high level content and have more options for the high level crowd, then  yes, the game could sustain more players 50+.

• XeonsoldierXeonsoldier Member Posts: 190
    Originally posted by morpin

I disagree that grouping is necessary after 25.  I really do think you can solo all the way to 50.  I think you will miss a lot of the best content and it might take you longer, but it can be done with moderate difficulty.    If I where to guess I would say that I spent about 1/4 of my time grouped.

What I am finding out now is that > 50 you really need to group.  I hope that will change and I think there is an effort by the developers to do that.

What he's saying is he would much rather take the more enjoyable route by grouping to 50 instead of soloing. And it is difficult to group as much as he wants to in his play hours.

• thaniththanith Member Posts: 144

hm

not so easy to "answer" because anything is so subjective, so i give you just my thoughts

1. i have never played SWG but many veteran players told me SOE killed the game and i found their explanations trustworthy
    2. SOE might not be the worst company because at least they have some proffessional staff to maintain and/or develop games
    3. considering companies like ncsoft and considering the crap they produce my potential anger against SOE declines :)
    4. think of high hyped bullshit/hoax companies of the of the past=DnL and present=ncsoft/aion-??? -> what will remain of this stuff if the hard market rules set in ? :)

what did remain of the WoW KILLERS=AoC, WAR, ... ???
    5. i found much interresting stuff in my first few days of the vanguard trial so that i will try it out un til the end and decide then if i subscribe it as my new 2nd game:)

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

If you didn't like it in the least in the past I don't think enough has changed to make you like it now.  it's still incredibly buggy, even with the bugs that have been worked out over the last 2.5 years, and the development team is so skeleton thin that they can't even fix some of the bugs because they don't have certain types of programmers.  Some things have been added to the game that weren't in at release, but nothing huge has changed to be honest.

Originally posted by Margulis

If you didn't like it in the least in the past I don't think enough has changed to make you like it now.  it's still incredibly buggy, even with the bugs that have been worked out over the last 2.5 years, and the development team is so skeleton thin that they can't even fix some of the bugs because they don't have certain types of programmers.  Some things have been added to the game that weren't in at release, but nothing huge has changed to be honest.

I wouldn't say it's incredibly buggy.  But there are a couple bugs that impact most everyone and are very annoying.

Although not a bug, the hitching issue when first entering a new area is a pain.  I can get rid of that by backing off the highest texture setting, but I don't as I really like the eye candy.  It seems that Windows 7 virtually elimates hitching, so I'm installing that the second it goes retail.

Group/raid bugs are annoying.  Seeing 7 in a group, or not seeing someone.  It's always caused by people dying in other chunks, accepting invites while crossing a chunk etc.  I think this one is very high on the fix list.

Finally, the bug that dismounts you while flying.  Almost certainly has something to do with guild buffs, or passive buffs, or diplo buffs or gear buffs.  If I fly a mount on an alt from a rental vendor, no problem. 

Other than that, it's not bad.  About 1-2 months ago the devs were on an absolute tear fixing just about every bug that was being posted in Game Issues, including some very long standing ones that were once claimed almost 2 years ago to be unfixable due to the lack of resources.

• shakermaker0shakermaker0 Member UncommonPosts: 194

The population is ok, it isn't Warcraft but it is ok, with a thousand playing a peak it never feels too lonely. Check out my review for more info about the game. thatmmoguy

Originally posted by thanith

considering companies like ncsoft and considering the crap they produce my potential anger against SOE declines :)

I'm sorry but I've yet to see an NC soft game that was crap. Perhaps Dungeon Runners but that was tongue in cheek. Tabula Rasa suffered from being remade from its original concept and From the players I've spoken with Auto Assault was a pretty good game. Actually there are people who think that Tabula Rasa was good.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• gurugeorgegurugeorge Member UncommonPosts: 481
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by thanith

considering companies like ncsoft and considering the crap they produce my potential anger against SOE declines :)

I'm sorry but I've yet to see an NC soft game that was crap. Perhaps Dungeon Runners but that was tongue in cheek. Tabula Rasa suffered from being remade from its original concept and From the players I've spoken with Auto Assault was a pretty good game. Actually there are people who think that Tabula Rasa was good.

Yup. TR was good, actually very nearly a great MMO, but just not quite good enough at launch.  Another cocked-up rush job.  I read that the game that we had at the end was the result of some heavy "crunch time" work with a certain kind of management system that enabled them to rescue what could have been a far worse cock-up than it was.  Had the devs had more time working in that mode, it would probably have been a brilliant game.  At least, they had gotten the core mechanics pretty good by the time of realease - it had a fast, fps-ish sort of feel, but stats were still important, it was a nice balance.  But there just wasn't enough content - same old story.

Originally posted by morpin

I'm halfway through 28 and soloing is fine.

And page, don't "get to 50". If that is how you are approaching the game then you are playing it "wrong".

Take each level for what it is. Actually that's good advice (in my opinion) for any game.