Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stargate Worlds: Source: August 1st License Deadline

DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

The ongoing saga of Stargate Worlds may soon come to an conclusion. According to a source who recently left Firesky, the company has an August 1st deadline to get into financial shape or MGM is going to pull the license. Their last hope comes in the form of a potential $8 million cash infusion from private investors. 

We also spoke to Shane Hensley of Firesky about this report and got his reaction.

“MGM certainly isn't thrilled with our current situation, but neither do we have any specific indication they're pulling the license on any particular date,” Hensley told us.

Firesky, which had several projects on the go, essentially ran out of money last fall, but rather than pull the plug, has continued to move forward. Most of the key personnel have moved onto other projects and many are behind on pay.

At this time, according to our sources, there is only one member of the client team and one member of the server team still at work on the game.

Read more here.

Dana Massey
Formerly of MMORPG.com
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Comments

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

I dont understand how company with next to zero background endup with huge license name like Stargate.  It's obvious they gonna fail.  We certainly dont need another sucker like Matrix Online or Star Wars Galaxy.

• supremeaaronsupremeaaron Member UncommonPosts: 189

Was really looking forward to stargate worlds but now it looks like its dieing well in CME's hands anyway. I say if SGW is nearly done hopefully another company will buy the coding and complete it, but one can only hope at this point. Looks like 2 stargate games gone before release alliance and now stargate worlds.

• JpizzleJpizzle Member Posts: 371

LOL. I had completely forgot about this game. Didn't it go into closed beta in like early 08? 

• green13green13 Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

My hope is that if they go belly up, MGM buy up what's left of Firesky and Stargate Worlds and finish it themselves or sell it to someone else who will.

What I've seen of the game looks promising.

• ShanniaShannia Member Posts: 2,096
    Originally posted by Aguitha

I dont understand how company with next to zero background endup with huge license name like Stargate.  It's obvious they gonna fail.  We certainly dont need another sucker like Matrix Online or Star Wars Galaxy.

Same reason Perpetual Entertainment (PE then P2) got ST:O.  What happens in the end?  Company tanks and real professionals will move in an pick up the pieces.  Just because CME might lose the idea doesn't mean that one of the more professional companies won't end up with it.  Hopefully the fate that was delt ST:O will happen for Star Gate Worlds.  It is definately and IP that deserves a good MMORPG.

Fear not fanbois, we are not trolls, let's take off your tin foil hat and learn what VAPORWARE is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

"Vaporware is a term used to describe a software or hardware product that is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge after having well exceeded the period of development time that was initially claimed or would normally be expected for the development cycle of a similar product."

• RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206

lets just hope Smedley doesn't get his hands on this one.

• bizzaro1bizzaro1 Member Posts: 8

lol, i hate to use the v-word....but ill drop it out there,....Vaporware

i was so looking forward to this......:/

• leviticusdleviticusd Member Posts: 1

Hah, I had some baseball buddies invest in this game (probably through the MMOGULS program the article mentions).  I hate to say told you so, but I don't think they are getting their money back. Too bad. :(

UncleLizzy

• wlvnspectrewlvnspectre Member Posts: 96

You mean I might finally get out of my NDA agreement (The second most strict I have ever seen)!!!

Under its terms I am still playing the "beta".

Oh the tales I could tell if I could tell... 

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

So let me get this straight,

They have only 2 devs left working on the game. Other devs have been moved to other projects (read: left the company) because of lack of pay!

....and they still think MGM isn't gonna pull the license 1st of August to finally end this horrible slander of this marvelous IP?

Right.

• green13green13 Member UncommonPosts: 1,341
    Originally posted by Guillermo197

So let me get this straight,
    They have only 2 devs left working on the game. Other devs have been moved to other projects (read: left the company) because of lack of pay!
    ....and they still think MGM isn't gonna pull the license 1st of August to finally end this horrible slander of this marvelous IP?
    Right.

Well....

Istaria, formerly known as Horizons, has gone bankrupt multiple times and at least one of those times the former owner bought it back minus all the debt and just kept things going (badly) as they had before. It has tenaciously clung onto life in a way that gives hope to all other mmos that no matter how bad it gets, you can keep going.

Dark and Light was even worse - a complete embarassment to the mmo industry, and they kept that thing open for years too. Finally they were sued into non-existence. All our thanks go the French courts for that community service.

Maybe they're both fevered and delirious and have convinced themselves that Thor will beam down with a drone and obliterate their creditors....

• vancha801vancha801 Member Posts: 23

i don't believe that company will make it

i only hope someone else picks SGW up, i was really looking forward to it back when it was announced

• olddaddyolddaddy Member Posts: 3,356

The fact that they have a group of doctors willing to give them $8 million brought a smile to my face.

Now, if I could only think of a project to convince a group of doctors to give me $8 million........

• KozomKozom Member Posts: 121

even if this game made it, who would get it? i mean 2 devs and a very bad history dont make a good selling point. 

• InfalibleInfalible Member Posts: 204

Here's hping CME dies a pianful death and then EA Bioware Mythic pick up the license :-P

That would be a cool joint project for the two studios to start on ;-)

http://www.themmoquest.com - MMO commentary from an overly angry brit. OFFICIALLY LAUNCHED!

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581
    Originally posted by Infalible

Here's hping CME dies a pianful death and then EA Bioware Mythic pick up the license :-P
    That would be a cool joint project for the two studios to start on ;-)

Erm... Mythic? They cant even fix War now, and they should focus all of their attention on War....

If the game is indeed being release in such a state, than it will be another crappy mmo. I rather they sold it to other company to continue to finish up the job THAN launch...

By now all mmo companies should know a crappy launch and your game is as good as dead...

RIP Orc Choppa

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

i hope they do pull it and sell it to a company who has the resources to develop a game worthy of the SG IP

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

I heard from a ex-SGW dev that SoE is eyeing this situation closley.

• InfalibleInfalible Member Posts: 204
    Originally posted by Hrica

It's not surprising considering the fact that Sony own both MgM and SOE. It's more than likely that the IP will change hands and move to SOE when CME go under simply because it means that all of the profits go to Sony copanies, rather than just the licensing and royalties.

http://www.themmoquest.com - MMO commentary from an overly angry brit. OFFICIALLY LAUNCHED!

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695
    Originally posted by Jpizzle

LOL. I had completely forgot about this game. Didn't it go into closed beta in like early 08? 

It was in alpha in late spring '08 and a very limited closed beta in late summer '08.  The closed beta invited only a few hundred testers and it ended in november '08 essentially shutting down to the situation we see now.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

It's not surprising considering the fact that Sony own both MgM and SOE. It's more than likely that the IP will change hands and move to SOE when CME go under simply because it means that all of the profits go to Sony copanies, rather than just the licensing and royalties.

Yep, SOE will buy it. I have forseen it. xD

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Well I had high hopes for this game. But they totaly blew the game. Most of their dev staff left atter not being paid for over 4 months.   I would be surprised if this game never saw the light of day.

Yes SOE will probably buy the rights and shut it down, they already have the stargate trading card game.

• DaedrickDaedrick Member Posts: 168

GOOD

Another shit MMO die before release. GOOD. These developers deserve to be scalped for their oblivious stupidity. I wish all the sh!t currently in developement would die like this game before it release. But unfortunatly, it dont. Sigh...

-------------------------------------

Before: developers loved games and made money.

Now: developers love money and make games.

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

$8 million isn't enough to turn SGW into a good game.

• JYCowboyJYCowboy Member UncommonPosts: 652
    Originally posted by tillamook

Yep, SOE will buy it. I have forseen it. xD

As another has stated, SOE has the Stargate Online TCG and it would keep interests inline if they bailed out this game.  It would depend on how complete or salvagable the product is.  With the trimming of the fat at SOE coupled with the closer eye on investments, I doubt SGW would be an easy move for the company like Vanguard was.