Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Join MMORPG.com Folding@Home Team!

Comments

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

Woot. About to take the number 1 spot. Creeping up on you Malachi.

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

Nevermind

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• Malachi1975Malachi1975 Member Posts: 1,079
    Originally posted by Dekron

Careful, I've actually been using my PS3 again. Once I start playing something else again you might be toast 

"What is it I have against Microsoft, you ask? Well, you know how you feel when you wait for an MMO to come out and when it does you feel like you've paid to play it's beta test for another 6-9 months before anything even thinks of working the way it should? Being a network engineer you feel that way about anything Microsoft puts out."

Originally posted by Malachi1975

Careful, I've actually been using my PS3 again. Once I start playing something else again you might be toast 

I think I may set it where no one can ever pass me. I am installing folding@home at my work on all the unused pcs (approx 150) to fold for me.

• xpyrofuryxxpyrofuryx Member CommonPosts: 1,587

Originally posted by Malachi1975

I think I may set it where no one can ever pass me. I am installing folding@home at my work on all the unused pcs (approx 150) to fold for me.

damn... you deserve a reward!

• Originally posted by xpyrofuryx

Everyone come and join up on MMORPG.com's Folding@Home

Download here: folding.stanford.edu/download.html

When you download, type in your name and use the Team number: 80427
    This is MMORPG.com's Team Number, Make sure you use this number!

Please do this! We can all help!
     What this does is it takes all your excess CPU power (NOTE: It does not slow down your computer AT ALL, it takes what ever isnt being used, trust me, does not slow down at all). With this extra CPU power it does equations for Standford University and helps solves diseases such as Cancer, or does research on important things like nanotubes.

Hey, how come none of the "big-wigs" are folding with us?

Finwe? Taera? skywisenight? Admin? stradden? Szark? Anyone...?

• KoehiirKoehiir Member Posts: 7

FAH is a great program, and helpful too.  I've got my own team - i run it on my computers at home and office - fold on m8's!

• zlayzerzlayzer Member Posts: 81

My username will be Svedlord (it's the name i use nowadays so it would be great if i could get my username on the site changed). But i think that they can use their brains Brains dont drain electricty or anything and they never get hacked

Hmph seems like my dads firewall is blocking it for me because it wont work.... But well i'm going to take my comp back to my mom today and there we have no comp standing as a firewall just a router which hasnt blocked anything like that

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Originally posted by dsgdfgs

well, done, it's running, however, it's not as fast as you had said

It's based on your CPU. If you have a slower CPU and/or are running other things in the background, then it will be slower. It only uses your unused CPU cycles.

What are the minimum system requirements?

All computers can contribute to Folding@home. However, if the computer is too slow (e.g. wasn't bought in the last 3-4 years or so), the computer might not be fast enough to make the deadlines of typical work units.

• spellborn963spellborn963 Member Posts: 1

Okay  I wil  join u ,but  i  dont know wheather  it   can   do  a good  job.

I am now in the top 10% of contributors.

• shrozshroz Member Posts: 2
    hey dude whats the point of downloading that
    can you tell me
    And also do you know what games work on mac thanks
  • PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

I think Distributed Computing is a great idea, and it's only going to cost you at most a couple of bucks a month to run. However it might be advisable to download a free heat monitoring utility like Core Temp and make sure (at least once) that your computers cooling is working satisfactorily. I wouldn't go much above 60c continuously on an IBM based CPU. If you're using your GPU, I dunno. If you're using a Mac, I don't care.

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

I do SETI on one processor, and Rosetta (medical - protein folding from the U. of Washington) on the other. And if I'm going to do something resource intensive I just turn it all off. No problemo - one right click on the task bar icon > click 'shut down' > and it's done.

• seemsfunseemsfun Member Posts: 9

wats it? wats the difference?

• bock1bock1 Member Posts: 1

Downloaded and running! If cancer isnt cured now when they have my energy Ill be mad!

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012

I decided to give it a go ;)

• AsprnBtlAsprnBtl Member Posts: 116

Count me in as well, this is for a good cause!

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

The top 5%. The top 1% have scores at least 5 times more then mine. I'll never get there.

fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py

Edit: 28 July 2009. Just broke through the top 50,000 contributors. It varies up and down some.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • RetroMonsterRetroMonster Member Posts: 288

Awesome, or EPIC.

• UmbroodUmbrood Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Here is something to ponder.

I have not been part of this for some time, not at all with my last computer, two years or so.

Now I just recently purchased a new computer, a real monster.

I had at that point, with something like 8 months almost constant running, with a P4 CPU, 21000 points.

I have now, with less than 20 hours of ONE of my 260 GPU's running.

26000 points.

Which means that in less than 4 days with one 260 graphic card I can do the same amount of work that my old P4 could in 8 months.

Give or take.

And please, everyone, join up?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Jerek_

I wonder if you honestly even believe what you type, or if you live in a made up world of facts.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by Umbrood

Here is something to ponder.
    I have not been part of this for some time, not at all with my last computer, two years or so.
    Now I just recently purchased a new computer, a real monster.
    I had at that point, with something like 8 months almost constant running, with a P4 CPU, 21000 points.
    I have now, with less than 20 hours of ONE of my 260 GPU's running.
    26000 points.
    Which means that in less than 4 days with one 260 graphic card I can do the same amount of work that my old P4 could in 8 months.
    Give or take.
    And please, everyone, join up?

That is similar to my experience.  I'd been running it for several years on a P3 800.  I tripled the points using my new system within 9 months of starting on it.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • UmbroodUmbrood Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Funny thing is, he same day I wrote my last post one of my science magazines came in the mail and it had a huge article on this very subject.

Turns out that for calculations like this, that requires a lot of cores, top end graphic cards, and escpecially the ps3 are extremely well equipped.

There was this one doctor who had set up a ps3 cluster, do no know how many but the total cost was 30k$ and he claimed that it did the work of a 10M+ supercomputer, for his particular work.

The ps3 has 8 cores, late end graphic cards a LOT more.

And this explains why I had this extreme difference.

And again people, please join up?

Lets make it a contest or something?

In fact, I am goin to suggest this to the site me thinks.

Originally posted by Jerek_

I wonder if you honestly even believe what you type, or if you live in a made up world of facts.

• ben1314ben1314 Member Posts: 14

if i join it ,i can get the help?

• windstrike1windstrike1 Member Posts: 553

Did you guys cure cancer yet?  

But seriously... For all we know, you might be designing race-specific-bio-weapons.

• XboxOmacXboxOmac Member Posts: 27

My computer will help. Installed and running.