Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is LOTRO rated number one on mmorpg.com and yet never mentioned in threads?

124»

Comments

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by kiddyno071

Originally posted by cfurlin

As a founder with a lifetime sub, I also don't play anymore. Don't get me wrong...the game is fine, the storyline is fine, the gameplay is fine...but...playing the game just feels, well, tedious. It is the only word I can think of to describe it.
    Every once in a while I think about logging on and playing, but then that feeling comes back and  I stop and play something else.

Just curious... how much did you play before quiting... you know in any given day, week, month?  What I have often found with many of my friends and even myself that when you play and play and play I think it is natural to get bored.  I have found by balancing my gaming time with R makes gaming more fun and I find myself eger to play again.  I am a founder with lifetime sub and just dinged my main lvl 60 a few days ago. 

A lot at the beginning, but I'd say on average, twice a week.

• DonnieBrascoDonnieBrasco Member Posts: 1,757
    Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

Originally posted by logicbox9

Originally posted by logicbox9

Originally posted by Ethian

Originally posted by Kaneth

but it's not enough to keep many people interested in the game.

Try to speak for yourself. Because reality would disagree with you. It is Ok, for a game to be "Not for you" this does not apply to everyone however.

Turbine also has 2 MMOs in the works.

Do you work for Turbine Sir Bloodworthy? because you seem to have a major hardon for LOTRO. LOL

They are one of the best development houses right now, they get much respect from me for this.

Solid game, frequent free updates, excellent CS, solid development pace, and one of the forerunners of the genre, and some of the most talented artists around..

Frequent updates? 2 updates in 7 months = frequent? Excellent cutscenes? Oh, you must mean the 30 seconds of in-game footage after each book... yeah, real amazing /rollseyes. Forerunner of the genre? Hardly. Most talented artists? Maybe environment, but characters still look disabled and spindly... those hat/helmet designers in the game are amazing, don't you just love headgear that gives you a bald head and removes all your hair?... but hey, to each their own.  "Solid development pace"? What an empty and vague description, but I'm not surprised seeing that we're talking about LoTRO and Turbine here...

I think you failed to comprehend anything I posted. I also think you are having a hard time with perspective, and confusing your personal opinion with reality.

Most of what you wrote, has nothing to do with what I said, yet you flamed me for things you created anyway.

Misunderstood what you wrote? Hardly. I'm just responding to your claim  that lotro has frequent updates, excellent cutscenes, something about development pace... amazing artists, etc. You are the one who failed to comprehend what I said. Also, just because one has a different idea of what your statements mean does not make him a troll :) Just because I don't post in every LoTRO thread doesn't mean I do not read them... I offer my opinion when I feel like it, and I'll debate someone who I think is incorrect... even if it's a fruitless debate, I'll still jaw jack about it.

Bloodworth, I know you are huge Turbine fanboi... but I think it's pretty hilarious that you go around acting like your opinion = reality. Pot. Kettle. Black.

Considering you went on to talk about cut scenes, when I was talking about Customer Service (a common abbreviation). I think you did not comprehend anything.

Your right, a different opinion does not make some one a troll, however, misunderstanding (intentional, or through ignorance), then implying an incorrect, or derogatory meaning, and flaming someone for it, does.

• Yes, Turbine does frequent updates that at times dwarf other studios expansions in terms of scope. (Books; Pre and post MoM, not even including regular updates.)
    • The pace of development is simply faster than any other development house that uses a comparable tech.
    • Customer Service is fast, and is not outsourced.
    • Turbine has gotten many awards for its environment, but the technical execution of every single asset in the game from the basis of style, execution and professionalism is top notch. It is constantly talked about across many outlets, not just gaming forums.
    • Turbine is one of the godfathers of the MMO genre, as has defined it more than you apparently know, or realize and continues to do so.

So again, you clearly did not understand a word I said. I sometimes forget I need two write slowly, and make sure I write an essay on every word used in a post around here. So, my apologies for assuming a level of knowledge and critical thinking on the part of readers.

So, now what? Can i expect an intelligent discussion from you, or shall we just keep to attacking each other? You pick.

Lol, thread won. Nice :)

DB

Denial makes one look a lot dumber than he/she actually is.

• fortuentefortuente Member Posts: 66

LOTRO does have its problems, but for me it is the best of the themepark games out right now.

It has a generally more mature community than any other MMO I have been involved with, and in the world of MMORPGs this is a rare and precious commodity. At the beginning of WoW the community wasn't too bad, but that went downhill quick as all the Counter Strike trolls found their new calling life.

The funny thing, is that I have also experienced the "boredom" that others here have been talking about. I can really relate to that and to the comment about the "delayed" combat. I even stopped playing for a while in 2007 because mainly because of those reasons. (The final straw was seeing some dumbass running around Combe called "Iclubbabyseals" - community really makes or breaks games for me.)

But I came back and I am pleased I did. While there are still trolls and mental rejects running around, they are sadly everywhere in life (just look at the modern republican US political party - I'm sure the GOP of Lincoln have been turning over in their graves for several decades now). The great thing about LOTRO is that these people are a very weak minority. Again, community is almost everything to me in an MMO. And, if not LOTRO overall, at least Landroval has one of the best communities in any game out right now.

But the game is still mechanically a bit "boring." But I no longer find it that way, because I have adapted myself to the play style. The biggest adaptation was getting away from the style drummed into my brain by playing WoW for a few years and getting back to playing more of an RPG. In other words, getting out of the "RUSH RUSH to end game, collect phat lewts, rinse, repeat, RUSH RUSH RUSH). Adapting back from playing a RPG-themed RTS and back to a real RPG. I love that fact there is not a focus on "end game" in LOTRO and I actually worry that they will start focusing on it to cater to the lowest common denominator.

As to mechanics, though, more and more I am finding I am bored to death with the click and press 1,3,2,1,4 style of play that is endemic to 99% of the MMOs out there. But that is not LOTRO's problem, but rather an industry-wide problem I think. Out of all the point-and-click themepark MMO's out there, to me LOTRO has gotten it the most right.

• illanadanillanadan Member Posts: 314

To all of you saying LoTRO was a failure in how it was created..... ROFL!!!

LoTRO is actually one of the most acurately portrayed MMO's that comes from an existing IP. The immersive story helps to build that feeling. If anyone has ever seen the movie's compared to the books you would see how poorly done the movies were in giving us the world of Middle-Earth. Now take those same books and compare it to LoTRO..... Is the Old Forest with Old Man Willow there? yes. Is the Barlog in Moria? yes. Can you walk under the leaves of the elven forests? yes. Do you run into the main characters through out the game? yes.

I agree LoTRO is not perfect. no MMO is. And once you add in personal preferance, some people just wont like the setting/game play of LoTRO. It was never meant to be a PvP game so stop expecting it. Turbine has been a GREAT company that has a GREAT track record. Could they have easily designed PvP into the system? Sure if they wanted to and Tolkien agreed on it. THe one thing most people tend to forget (same with SWG) is that the developer DOES NOT have all the say in a game, a lot of it belongs to the issuer of the license. If the dev's want to add a new feature/area/skill/whatever it needs to be approved by the holder themselves. 

- Case: Thermaltake Kandalf Black Chassis
    - CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2GHz (OC'd 4.2GHz on Water Cooling)
    - Memory: Mushkin 8Gb (4x 2Gb) DDR3 1600Mhz
    - HDD: Dual Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM
    - GFX: (2) XFX Radeon HD 5870 in CrossFire - New upgrade! :)

"I like wow, I like aion and I like AoC all for different reasons.....the later cause i get to see boobs, but still its a reason!!" - Sawlstone

• shakermaker0shakermaker0 Member UncommonPosts: 194

LoTR is great but it does have a few flaws. Check out my review thatmmoguy.blogspot.com/

• illanadanillanadan Member Posts: 314

As a founder with a lifetime sub, I also don't play anymore. Don't get me wrong...the game is fine, the storyline is fine, the gameplay is fine...but...playing the game just feels, well, tedious. It is the only word I can think of to describe it.
    Every once in a while I think about logging on and playing, but then that feeling comes back and  I stop and play something else.

You should come back and try the two new revamped zones.

OH! that's right. Turbine doesn't update/fix/or improve old content (Especially while adding a whole new zone or revamping the entire crafting system and adding 5 player requested features, and 4 new instances) and if they did, it would only take them about 30 minutes and one cup of caffeine.. (Sarcasm)

Before you post something please research it first. If you did you would know all beginner zones have been revamped, so yes... please come back and join me for the 3 revamped zones. Does redoing the quest path, changing mobs and spawn amounts, adding quests not qualify as a zone revamp anymore?

Idiot.

- Case: Thermaltake Kandalf Black Chassis
    - CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2GHz (OC'd 4.2GHz on Water Cooling)
    - Memory: Mushkin 8Gb (4x 2Gb) DDR3 1600Mhz
    - HDD: Dual Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM
    - GFX: (2) XFX Radeon HD 5870 in CrossFire - New upgrade! :)

"I like wow, I like aion and I like AoC all for different reasons.....the later cause i get to see boobs, but still its a reason!!" - Sawlstone

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989

It's funny when you can read several pages of a thread...and not get who's arguing which side.....

/rolls eyes

LotRO is...and always will be a great MMO....get over yourselves. But like all MMOs...gets old because there's too much saturation in the market. Too many to play. But it's still around...and still a top 5 MMO....if not the top. Which says a whole lot these days.

Deal with it....

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by fortuente

LOTRO does have its problems, but for me it is the best of the themepark games out right now.
    It has a generally more mature community than any other MMO I have been involved with, and in the world of MMORPGs this is a rare and precious commodity. At the beginning of WoW the community wasn't too bad, but that went downhill quick as all the Counter Strike trolls found their new calling life.
    The funny thing, is that I have also experienced the "boredom" that others here have been talking about. I can really relate to that and to the comment about the "delayed" combat. I even stopped playing for a while in 2007 because mainly because of those reasons. (The final straw was seeing some dumbass running around Combe called "Iclubbabyseals" - community really makes or breaks games for me.)
    But I came back and I am pleased I did. While there are still trolls and mental rejects running around, they are sadly everywhere in life (just look at the modern republican US political party - I'm sure the GOP of Lincoln have been turning over in their graves for several decades now). The great thing about LOTRO is that these people are a very weak minority. Again, community is almost everything to me in an MMO. And, if not LOTRO overall, at least Landroval has one of the best communities in any game out right now.
    But the game is still mechanically a bit "boring." But I no longer find it that way, because I have adapted myself to the play style. The biggest adaptation was getting away from the style drummed into my brain by playing WoW for a few years and getting back to playing more of an RPG. In other words, getting out of the "RUSH RUSH to end game, collect phat lewts, rinse, repeat, RUSH RUSH RUSH). Adapting back from playing a RPG-themed RTS and back to a real RPG. I love that fact there is not a focus on "end game" in LOTRO and I actually worry that they will start focusing on it to cater to the lowest common denominator.
    As to mechanics, though, more and more I am finding I am bored to death with the click and press 1,3,2,1,4 style of play that is endemic to 99% of the MMOs out there. But that is not LOTRO's problem, but rather an industry-wide problem I think. Out of all the point-and-click themepark MMO's out there, to me LOTRO has gotten it the most right.

I actually agree with a lot of what you wrote. Some of what you wrote is why I left 1 1/2 years ago. After coming back for the RuneKeeper I'm actually enjoying myself now. I had to adjust like you and stop rushing. I even tried crafting for the first time and that has helped slow things down for me. It really is a better game if your focus isn't totally on RUSH RUSH RUSH and XP XP XP. I'm even trying to read the quests this time which I ignored in Age of Conan hehe. I guess after trying several other games, I now appreciate this game more :-).

There Is Always Hope!

Originally posted by Gestankfaust

It's funny when you can read several pages of a thread...and not get who's arguing which side.....

/rolls eyes

LotRO is...and always will be a great MMO....get over yourselves. But like all MMOs...gets old because there's too much saturation in the market. Too many to play. But it's still around...and still a top 5 MMO....if not the top. Which says a whole lot these days.

Deal with it....

True. It's been well over 2 years now since launch, and there is absolutely no sign of falling in either population or popularity. This, alone should be enough for Turbine to be happy, if not content. They should *never* be content, for the players' sake :)

And they should never mistake improvement of a game with just adding more timesink in the form of item grind (a la' WOW). Fingers crossed.

DB

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by illanadan

OH! that's right. Turbine doesn't update/fix/or improve old content (Especially while adding a whole new zone or revamping the entire crafting system and adding 5 player requested features, and 4 new instances) and if they did, it would only take them about 30 minutes and one cup of caffeine.. (Sarcasm)

Before you post something please research it first. If you did you would know all beginner zones have been revamped, so yes... please come back and join me for the 3 revamped zones. Does redoing the quest path, changing mobs and spawn amounts, adding quests not qualify as a zone revamp anymore?

Idiot.

Lol...he was being sarcastic due to the bullshit some other posters were trying to say that clearly wasn't true.  You and him are of the same thinking.

Well, heh, to an extent anyways.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• pgqsilverpgqsilver Member UncommonPosts: 106

I thought LotRO was a decent game.  The lore was great, graphics were solid, but I just couldn't get into the delayed combat.  It felt like, for me I played a Guard, that I would mash my shield bash ability and it would take a second to respond.  If all the abilities especially for melee were instant response I would probably stayed around longer. Overall, definitely worth a try.

• BesCirgaBesCirga Member Posts: 806
    Originally posted by pgqsilver

I thought LotRO was a decent game.  The lore was great, graphics were solid, but I just couldn't get into the delayed combat.  It felt like, for me I played a Guard, that I would mash my shield bash ability and it would take a second to respond.  If all the abilities especially for melee were instant response I would probably stayed around longer. Overall, definitely worth a try.

Attacks in lotro do respond right away, they queue up and execute right after you next attack is done. This means you cant abort abilities and auto-attacks in mid-air, which I find alot more logical and tactical. It also prohibits the game from becoming a button spam-fest.

Idiot.

Well, you'd better edit that, it makes a nice day for trolls to see 2 Lotro-fans bash each other based on a misunderstanding :)

DB

• The reason I love LOTRO and am a lifetime subscriber is that they put content out throughout the year.  I suffer and have suffered for years from game attention disorder.  I literally move from game to game and have for decades:)  What I like about MMO's is that in most cases your characters are still there when you feel like playing them again and you don't have to start from scratch.

I play LOTRO in spurts, a couple of months playing, a couple of months playing something else.  Just to point out - the 30's really are a bottleneck of same old same old in LOTRO - hopefully they address this with their zone revamps soon.  Also, it really really helps to work through all the classes to a certain level to find your 'fit'.  For me that's a Captain - for the longest time I struggled with Minstrel (I always play a healer or bard character if it's available, but in this case it just doesn't work for me).

Lately I've been messing around with single player games and F2P MMOs - The F2P MMOs are really a surprise - ROM is actually pretty good and I enjoyed messing around in it for a while.  Currently Wizard 101 has me addicted, which surprised me because FreeRealms is just so-so as far as I am concerned.

The other item no one mentioned as to why LOTRO is highly rated is that it's a deal money wise.  They often run 9.99/month deals and have offered lifetime subs in the past.

LOTRO isn't my dream game but it's a good place to call home while I continue searching for the 'perfect' game.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

To all of you saying LoTRO was a failure in how it was created..... ROFL!!!
    LoTRO is actually one of the most acurately portrayed MMO's that comes from an existing IP. The immersive story helps to build that feeling. If anyone has ever seen the movie's compared to the books you would see how poorly done the movies were in giving us the world of Middle-Earth. Now take those same books and compare it to LoTRO..... Is the Old Forest with Old Man Willow there? yes. Is the Barlog in Moria? yes. Can you walk under the leaves of the elven forests? yes. Do you run into the main characters through out the game? yes.

I agree.. the attention to detail they put into the game following the lore - even the most subtle details - is astounding. There was (possibly still is) a thread on the official forums where people point out things in the game that are mentioned - even passively - in the books. The stone on Weathertop left by Gandalf after his encounter with the Nazgul on Oct 3rd, the 3 stone trolls from Bilbo's adventure in The Hobbit, how you actually get lethargy debuffs when standing too close to Old Man Willow... specific locations where battles took place, and on and on... I know at least a couple of the game's designers popped in and expressed their pleasure at how much the players noticed and appreciated that attention to detail.

I think where people get riled up about the lore is how the classes kinda stretch the lore - quite a bit in some cases. But, it's a necessary evil, it seems.. At some point you have to acknowledge that it's a game and that sticking strictly to the lore at the expense of making the game more enjoyable can become counter-intuitive. I think the Tolkien estate finally relented a bit on that.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

Idiot.

/facepalm

Someone forgot to activate their Sarcasm Detector.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

I would have thought the last word would tip people off.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• KarouckKarouck Member Posts: 1

This is my idea of what I think of Lorto compared to other games past and present.

I have been playing online games since 1995, and was one of the few million people to play everquest. Being raised on Mud’s and games like EQ, I find many games based on people who want things now or they hate it. My son is a child and is fascinated with games like darkfall, requiem, Conan, warhammer... anything with blood that a teenager enjoys playing after highschool and ticks off the rest of the world. He dislikes games like lord of the rings and laughs at me when I play, and in turn, when he and 20 friends brag about all killing one person with no fair fight online I worry about his future and ask myself what moron did I raise then laugh at him in turn. I believe in pvp, or player verses player being enjoyable, not player verse mob or people. Lord of the rings lacks that personality that draws morons like my son to games. For that I love lord of the rings and find it enjoyable the community is there and mature. There is no real complaining save people whom want everything now. Back in everquest you knew who to group with, where to go, and spent time researching how to succeed. I miss that in games and in lorto (going to abbreviate for my own sanity) it is present. People whom, as so vividly described above, cannot communicate (people who say U instead of you or plz instead of please) or want to complain do not make it far. The game is enjoyable, sense of purpose can be achieved, and end game events are not being bored doing the same several key strokes over and over again. The individuals whom come online because they lacking social skills are quickly drawn away from lotro because they are missing those social skills to enjoy what a multiplayer game has to offer, friendship, trust, and teamwork that can make events more enjoyable.

On the other token, I hate lord of the rings for it size, they were to successful in making it real life. 2 minutes walk to a neighbor’s house… *sigh* I have played more online games than are listed here on mmorpg.com and while only a quarter of them I have achieved end game, I know by now what I like and do not like. I loathe running for 20 minutes to get somewhere. While this does deter the children who demand everything quickly, I like to stay in a small area and kill things with out to much running. I would be hastily voting to increase Aion over Lorto, but Lorto has my votes for aion allows a horrible from of player against player system. I do not consider it "pvp" because the way people behave reminds me of street riots with no honor or test of skill. My son charging a single person with a bunch of friends is not skillful or something to brag about. When he tried to perform such actions in lorto he could not pull them off and quickly lost interest, Thank god. It reminds me a lot of how the good old games use to be with an introduction of new features. Like going from VCR to DVD, Good and bad. If Lotro had more area's where less running was evolved, and a quick graphic patch that allowed people with better computers to leap ahead the "graphics so anyone can play idea" while still allowing them to play, I would consider this game as amazing and one of the best of all time. Though the running will always get to me. To be fair and honest on this post, if Aion stops the “ganking” and make a pve server for those whom choose that life, Pve with the choice to do pvp, I will instantly vote it higher than lotro; thus placing lotro as second or third of the great online games not made for children. (small personal complaint, why do games cater to children to have to ask their parents for a credit card than adults who have a card I will never know, most kiddies 6-20 do not hold their interest in to one subject very long anyway.)

With all that in mind, Lord of the rings online I find it enjoyable and tedious at the same time. Any adult would find a good place to enjoy a multiplayer online game and avoid those kids in high school and college.

Side note. I do love my son. He will learn better one day...... I hope.

• shenfreyshenfrey Member UncommonPosts: 114

You know if you are on a forum talking about game when you arnt playing it, what does that say about the game? Its a DAMN good game. But if people are to busy playing it and aint had time to come on forums and chat about it yet, i guess thats an even better thing lol

Originally posted by Miogen

I read this somewhere else so i won't take credit for it but it said "LotRO is the silent MMO".  I think that name suites it very well because like you mentioned it doesn't get much media converage. I believe that this is due to majority of LotRO players being older/adults so first of all they don't know how to work forums and second of all they just are in it to enjoy the game and not complaing (which it seems majority of forums do).
    Agreed though sometimes the endgame can get slow and boring but have you been raiding lately?  I was about to quit when a few friends and i made a kinship based on raiding and just having fun and that really interested me and got me back into it.  If you've done all that then heck beats me, i guess ya just gotta wait for the next expansion :

lol.. Is that bit in blue some kind of new stereotype I'm not aware of? 

I'm 36 and know how to use forums just fine. My sister's 46 and uses forums just fine. My oldest brother is almost 50 and he uses them fine... I know plenty of other people who do as well.

No... anyone computer savvy enough to know how to use a browser and surf the internet is perfectly capable of using forums.

Perhaps the phrase you were looking for is "don't use forums a lot". In that case... I could perhaps give it to you, but it's still not entirely true and is far too much of a generalization.

• WintersbiteWintersbite Member Posts: 146

That and the fact that most of the "older people", were around when the first forums, or bulletin boards, were created?

Originally posted by Karouck

(people who say U instead of you or plz instead of please) 

Very good post.. I've removed most of it for the sake of brevity, but I did want to comment on that bit in blue because it reminds me of a saying I saw somewhere... don't remember where now, though.

The saying was:

"If you say "plz" because it's shorter than "please", then I'll say "no" because it's shorter than "yes". 

Always liked that one :)