Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lost the spark!

Addt4Addt4 Member Posts: 99

I've been playing MMORPG's since the early days of EQ1, after playing that for many years I moved to DAOC, then EQ2 etc...

I've now played most of the mmo's out there, for about 10 years now I guess. But I'm not finding any of the games since DAOC are holding my interest for very long at all. I used to have to pull myself away from EQ1/DAOC, but since the likes of EQ2 and more recently WAR and AOC, I find myself growing bored of the games and content very early on.

But I'm wondering is this the games not advancing enough of the years? Or have I just been burnt out with the rpg's? I often meet people who are obsessed with the likes of WOW or WAR/AOC etc, and find myself wondering why? I assume its becasue that is there first of the MMORPG's.

If I've lost my spark, what can I do? help! What will i do with my evenings!?!?!  I may even have to take my GF out more!!!

Comments

• Redline65Redline65 Member Posts: 486

No don't take the GF out more. Try a different genre, maybe racing or Wii Fit.

• Calintz333Calintz333 Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

Quit for a few years. If you have no interest in coming back thats perfect, you can play other games from other genres and enjoy those. TBH Im kinda in the same boat as you, its very rare when an mmo keeps me having fun longer than 1 month. the real "FUN" usually is only there the first 2-3 weeks, after that it becomes a repetitive chore. So in my case I simply stick to offline open world RPG games. Like Oblivion, The Witcher, Neverwinter Nights, games of that nature keep me very busy, having fun and give me that motivation and drive without all the repetitive questing and tasks, its a bit more original in terms of how you progress vs mmorpg's kill X number of  Y mobs.

My answer is just play offline RPG games.

• GreenieGreenie Member Posts: 553

Get the girlfriend pregnant then marry her. YOu'll have to take about a 5 year break from MMO's but when the kid is old enough you have someone to game with again

:D

• illanadanillanadan Member Posts: 314

This is getting serious! Anytime one of us nerds/geeks/what have you start talking about taking a GF out means serious business. Get this man a MMO!

No, I am not being sarcastic, this is how I truly feel :)

On a side note, I go through these slumps all the time. When that happens I just head back to Infantry Online for mindless CTF'ing for a few months till either something comes out that may be fun or I simply get bored.

Edit: The bane of my life... spelling.

- Case: Thermaltake Kandalf Black Chassis
    - CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2GHz (OC'd 4.2GHz on Water Cooling)
    - Memory: Mushkin 8Gb (4x 2Gb) DDR3 1600Mhz
    - HDD: Dual Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM
    - GFX: (2) XFX Radeon HD 5870 in CrossFire - New upgrade! :)

"I like wow, I like aion and I like AoC all for different reasons.....the later cause i get to see boobs, but still its a reason!!" - Sawlstone

• NovaKayneNovaKayne Member Posts: 743

Might just be time to take a break.

I took a break from playing MMO's for about 1 year or so.  Came back and found I am much more in tune with what I want out of a game and when I want to play it.

I played some single player games but, TBH they do not have the community I love in the games.  Seems that was what I was missing the most.  Finally found a group that is interesting in Vanguard and have been playing it pretty regularly of late.  It is a good game as any out there ATM.

Say hello, To the things you've left behind. They are more a part of your life now that you can't touch them.

• Addt4Addt4 Member Posts: 99

I do take my odd breaks, COD4 kept me going for a few months. then I have spurts like I just played EQ2 for the last 6months, but I think part of the problem is knowing new things are on the horizon. It's hard to work on your character knowing you may drop it for the up and coming new game. I really dont think any game has created that real worth of a character like EQ1, It was so hard to get loot, and so easy to lose everything that it gave you abit of pride about your character, lets not forget how long it used to take to level.

Originally posted by NovaKayne

I took a break from playing MMO's for about 1 year or so.  Came back and found I am much more in tune with what I want out of a game and when I want to play it.

I played some single player games but, TBH they do not have the community I love in the games.  Seems that was what I was missing the most.  Finally found a group that is interesting in Vanguard and have been playing it pretty regularly of late.  It is a good game as any out there ATM.

I've been tempted to head back to Vangaurd. I played it at beta/launch, but felt if was just a game released a year before it was ready, they killed it before they started it. Hows the player numbers there now?

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

my biggest issue with lot of game is translation

like some x,y,z subject might be funy in asian culture but often gets the tumbs down once translated in any langage

like if its supposed to make player laugh in corean how come we dont get the laugh factor in english ,french etc

its lost why because every culture is dif

hell take a french from quebec send him to france 

and often people dont understand the joke 

its both french for crying out loud

so imagine a translator trying to translate a joke 

good  luck

often they go word for word and your like this just doesnt make sense 

its just better to not translate

i read english and french 

and i used to read translation from supposedly good book 

but everytime they try to translate emotion it just plainly suck

take the very good cartoon serie one piece very nice story 

410 episode and counting

but one fan club decided to use the japanese word and just eplain what it means in detail 

why ,because everytime they tried to translate it they just couldnt translate the emotion since all countrys have different words

and by using the japanese word and explaining its context etc 

the serie is so mutch more emotional ,like sometime i would see overreacting and i was like wtf why is luffy overreacting 

so much,but by just using japanese word and showing the full meaning then it made sense why luffy was overacting 

before ,just using the suposedly english word just plainly sucked it made it worst 

translation in my view is the biggest problem 

you cannot feel the same emotion if its just translated word for word without the emotional factor 

• ArturslArtursl Member Posts: 24

I have recently hit the same wall. Everything just seems like a rehash of a rehash, bland, boring and repetitive. Just get an online fps (Team fortress or Battlefield series or something like that) Or play the shit out of single player RPG's which are great and have a lot of replayability, especially the modable ones.

Personally I'm not planning to return to any major MMO till the next wave of big ones hits the market (SW:TOR, Mortal, Jumpgate)

• illanadanillanadan Member Posts: 314
    Originally posted by drbaltazar

my biggest issue with lot of game is translation
    like some x,y,z subject might be funy in asian culture but often gets the tumbs down once translated in any langage
    like if its supposed to make player laugh in corean how come we dont get the laugh factor in english ,french etc
    its lost why because every culture is dif
    hell take a french from quebec send him to france 
    and often people dont understand the joke 
    its both french for crying out loud
    so imagine a translator trying to translate a joke 
    good  luck
    often they go word for word and your like this just doesnt make sense 
    its just better to not translate
    i read english and french 
    and i used to read translation from supposedly good book 
    but everytime they try to translate emotion it just plainly suck
    take the very good cartoon serie one piece very nice story 
    410 episode and counting
    but one fan club decided to use the japanese word and just eplain what it means in detail 
    why ,because everytime they tried to translate it they just couldnt translate the emotion since all countrys have different words
    and by using the japanese word and explaining its context etc 
    the serie is so mutch more emotional ,like sometime i would see overreacting and i was like wtf why is luffy overreacting 
    so much,but by just using japanese word and showing the full meaning then it made sense why luffy was overacting 
    before ,just using the suposedly english word just plainly sucked it made it worst 
    translation in my view is the biggest problem 
    you cannot feel the same emotion if its just translated word for word without the emotional factor 

And here I always thought I rambled on :)

He does make a very good point on the issues of translation though!

- Case: Thermaltake Kandalf Black Chassis
    - CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2GHz (OC'd 4.2GHz on Water Cooling)
    - Memory: Mushkin 8Gb (4x 2Gb) DDR3 1600Mhz
    - HDD: Dual Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM
    - GFX: (2) XFX Radeon HD 5870 in CrossFire - New upgrade! :)

"I like wow, I like aion and I like AoC all for different reasons.....the later cause i get to see boobs, but still its a reason!!" - Sawlstone

• NovaKayneNovaKayne Member Posts: 743
    Originally posted by Addt4

Originally posted by NovaKayne

I've been tempted to head back to Vangaurd. I played it at beta/launch, but felt if was just a game released a year before it was ready, they killed it before they started it. Hows the player numbers there now?

Cannot quote specific numbers but, I do not have issues finding groups around the hot spots like Hunters League, TK, CIS, or other places.

I generally go to the slower areas like QA riverside or 3 Riovers when I want to solo and only have a few minutes to play.  No fighting for spawns or stuff there.  Nothing irritates me more than waiting on something only to have someone sneak in and Ninja it while you are clearing the place out.

I still run into a bug here and there.  Not to bad tho.  Even running the game on Vista machine.  I picked up fishing the other day to see what it was like.  Really interesting mini-game when you are in between groups or just want a change of pace.  I do not think the fish can be used for anything other than ornaments on the wall at the moment but, still kinda fun

Also, just had an update the other day that expanded the main or base bags 25 slot to 50!!  Nice improvement as we were getting lots of drops for collections stuff and it was hard to hold it all.

Say hello, To the things you've left behind. They are more a part of your life now that you can't touch them.

• The "spark" left me when I used to raid in wow (BWL, AQ, NAX, MC), and has never come back.  MMOs keep getting simpler and made for the lowest common denominator.  I liked mmos because they were challenging.  Not any more.

Yes, I'm an elitist, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

• declaredemerdeclaredemer Member Posts: 2,698
    But I'm wondering is this the games not advancing enough of the years? Or have I just been burnt out with the rpg's? I often meet people who are obsessed with the likes of WOW or WAR/AOC etc, and find myself wondering why? I assume its becasue that is there first of the MMORPG's.

The lack of innovation --new features, greater immersion, new ways of experiencing the MMORPG-- has placed the industry in a creatively lost and blind period;  it is, I call it, the "copy-and-paste WoW-model." 

The industry needs to step outside of WoW's deep and long shadow and think outside the box.  I think this could be achieved through more community-empowerment and community-involvement with tools and resources in the MMORPG.  That is, allow players the opportunity to not only full customize their own weapons but homes and characters and so forth.  A lot of room is available to take customization, in simple ways, to unique levels.  Even more, we need worlds that change -  politically, economically, socially, and so forth - because of player-made decisions.  The worlds today feel so static, boring, predictable, and uninspiring.  So cookie-cutter, bland, indeed boring.  I am surprised people pay money for them.

You and me are the same:  no game has really held my attention.  I think, though, what we need a sci-fi.  We need SWG 2.0.

• FikusOfAhaziFikusOfAhazi Member Posts: 1,835
    Originally posted by declaredemer

The lack of innovation --new features, greater immersion, new ways of experiencing the MMORPG-- has placed the industry in a creatively lost and blind period;  it is, I call it, the "copy-and-paste WoW-model." 

The industry needs to step outside of WoW's deep and long shadow and think outside the box.  I think this could be achieved through more community-empowerment and community-involvement with tools and resources in the MMORPG.  That is, allow players the opportunity to not only full customize their own weapons but homes and characters and so forth.  A lot of room is available to take customization, in simple ways, to unique levels.  Even more, we need worlds that change -  politically, economically, socially, and so forth - because of player-made decisions.  The worlds today feel so static, boring, predictable, and uninspiring.  So cookie-cutter, bland, indeed boring.  I am surprised people pay money for them.

You and me are the same:  no game has really held my attention.  I think, though, what we need a sci-fi.  We need SWG 2.0.

The wow model is what swg players call nge'd. In other words, preped for MT. Deosnt  mean it's like WOW, just able to offer MT to compete. All they learned from SWG was you can't change after launch. So they all go with this model so they can add MT later if needed. NGE'd.  Need to take WOW down before they get back to making games. But, if it takes too long I doubt they go back. Look to europe in the meantime. All there is. Just how I see it anyway.

See you in the dream..
    The Fires from heaven, now as cold as ice. A rapid ascension tolls a heavy price.

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I've tried desperately to addict myself to games the past 4 weeks and I have no luck. A part of it is that I know i'll be busy and the other part is that, I think it is time to finish with the games and spend my time doing something more productive. I love games but I never felt true accomplishment.

Anyway, good luck, i've lost the spark to, i am trying out Runes of Magic and it's fun but i need to constantly be tryign to light the spark when all i needed was to have a spark and then the bonfire would come roaring in.

Anyway good luck,

Cryomatrix

Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

If I've lost my spark, what can I do? help! What will i do with my evenings!?!?!  I may even have to take my GF out more!!!

Actually you answered your own question kind of.

Look at the games that held you... Why did you leave?  Because the game changed?

After I guess you said DAoC was the last game to hold you.  After you left DAoC and didn't really stay in anything else... Was it because those games "new" were what the games you liked had changed to?

For me its not lack of innovation etc... Its the fact they changed games that were successful (long before WOW) and then never wanted to admit they had lost.  They (the game industry) also seemed to embrace this failure-by-design decision and wonder why it began to flounder.

Part of it is you also end up with pretty much the same "talented developers" floating around from company to company.  So they keep designing what they know... "failure".

I'd go so far to say that the people who made the core mechanics you liked... Let's just list UO, EQ, AC1 and DAoC as a general reference.  Well those "core" people are most likely not even in the industry anymore.  So someone will claim to have worked on XX game blah blah but they really didn't do anything, didn't design the game anyone liked OR are the one that screwed up the game people liked.

I know as an example my cherished developer is no longer working on anything I would be invovled in.  Yet he has made certain no one can change his design and then try to claim it was his design that failed.

Short version:  The reason most MMO's suck isn't because we aren't moving forward... its because we aren't moving backwards to when things were actually fun.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344

I've been playing MMORPG's since the early days of EQ1, after playing that for many years I moved to DAOC, then EQ2 etc...
    I've now played most of the mmo's out there, for about 10 years now I guess. But I'm not finding any of the games since DAOC are holding my interest for very long at all. I used to have to pull myself away from EQ1/DAOC, but since the likes of EQ2 and more recently WAR and AOC, I find myself growing bored of the games and content very early on.

Try a different play style in the MMO genre. That's what I did. Moved on to MMOFPS and loving it. Or you could try an MMORTS  game.

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    Originally posted by cfurlin

Try a different play style in the MMO genre. That's what I did. Moved on to MMOFPS and loving it. Or you could try an MMORTS  game.

I'll second that suggestion.

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
    Originally posted by Antarious

Actually you answered your own question kind of.

Look at the games that held you... Why did you leave?  Because the game changed?

After I guess you said DAoC was the last game to hold you.  After you left DAoC and didn't really stay in anything else... Was it because those games "new" were what the games you liked had changed to?

For me its not lack of innovation etc... Its the fact they changed games that were successful (long before WOW) and then never wanted to admit they had lost.  They (the game industry) also seemed to embrace this failure-by-design decision and wonder why it began to flounder.

Part of it is you also end up with pretty much the same "talented developers" floating around from company to company.  So they keep designing what they know... "failure".

I'd go so far to say that the people who made the core mechanics you liked... Let's just list UO, EQ, AC1 and DAoC as a general reference.  Well those "core" people are most likely not even in the industry anymore.  So someone will claim to have worked on XX game blah blah but they really didn't do anything, didn't design the game anyone liked OR are the one that screwed up the game people liked.

I know as an example my cherished developer is no longer working on anything I would be invovled in.  Yet he has made certain no one can change his design and then try to claim it was his design that failed.

Short version:  The reason most MMO's suck isn't because we aren't moving forward... its because we aren't moving backwards to when things were actually fun.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. The last hope for me in the MMORPG industry was Sigil doing Vanguard before SOE took over the helm. Alot of those guy were part of EQ1 upto Velious, the best years of EQ1 imo.

Originally posted by LynxJSA

What do you suggest? SWG? or something?

I tryed EVE for abit, but couldnt immerse myself in the world (Being more elves, dorfs and magic type rpg'er), and came accross the more "JO OwNZ CHU L££T StylZ" type player, which makes me want to jump out the window.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344

Originally posted by LynxJSA

What do you suggest? SWG? or something?

I tryed EVE for abit, but couldnt immerse myself in the world (Being more elves, dorfs and magic type rpg'er), and came accross the more "JO OwNZ CHU L££T StylZ" type player, which makes me want to jump out the window.

Let's see. In the MMOFPS genre, we have:

WWII Online, Planetside, Necron 2, Darkfall, Huxley (think its still beta), Fallen Earth (beta)

On the MMORTS side, we have:

Eve, Saga, DarkSpace, Atlantica (sort of)

I'm sure there are more. This is just what I can think of without researching a little

• GreenieGreenie Member Posts: 553
    Originally posted by Greenie

Get the girlfriend pregnant then marry her.

I second this suggestio.... oh wait.