Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Video Documentary #3: Voices of SW: TOR

2»

Comments

• OdelaOdela Member Posts: 120
    Originally posted by Salvatoris

Originally posted by MikeB

Dear Bioware,  No one gives a shit about the voice-over work in The Old Republic.  Please start releasing information people are actually interested in learning about your game. 

also, ReBoot kicked ass, especially season 4. :P

Did you even bother watching the video? :) There is a ton of never before seen gameplay footage in it.

I actually watched it several times for the in-game footage.  I am just getting pretty tired of the subject matter.  Every interview they do seems to be about the voice-over work these days.  I get it, there is a lot of dialog.... now how about we move on and discuss some other aspects of the game.  I can't imagine that the voice acting is many people's top concern or question about the game. 

....You're kidding me.

Why would you watch a video entitled The VOICES of ToR and then whine when they talk about the voice-overs?

That's like doing heroine 5 times a day then whining when you get addicted.

gtfo.

• SalvatorisSalvatoris Member Posts: 1,360
    Originally posted by Odela

Dear Bioware,  No one gives a shit about the voice-over work in The Old Republic.  Please start releasing information people are actually interested in learning about your game. 

Did you even bother watching the video? :) There is a ton of never before seen gameplay footage in it.

I actually watched it several times for the in-game footage.  I am just getting pretty tired of the subject matter.  Every interview they do seems to be about the voice-over work these days.  I get it, there is a lot of dialog.... now how about we move on and discuss some other aspects of the game.  I can't imagine that the voice acting is many people's top concern or question about the game. 

....You're kidding me.

Why would you watch a video entitled The VOICES of ToR and then whine when they talk about the voice-overs?

gtfo.

I watched it to see the in-game footage.  I really don't care about the voice over work, and it has been the topic of like 5 interviews in  the last month.  I care far more about gameplay.... the voice acting is inconsequential to me.  I'd rather hear them explain how this is an actual MMO and not just KOTOR3, now with multiplayer mode!. 

Going on and on about recording the voice work for what appear to be nothing more than in-engine cut-scenes only reinforces the opinion I already have about the game.  that being that it will be very light on the features most of us expect in an MMO.  It does look like a fun game though, and I enjoyed the first to Knights of the Old Republic game.  So I'll probably enjoy the third as well.

• OdelaOdela Member Posts: 120

Originally posted by Odela

....You're kidding me.

gtfo.

I watched it to see the in-game footage.  I really don't care about the voice over work, and it has been the topic of like 5 interviews in  the last month.  I care far more about gameplay.... the voice acting is inconsequential to me.  I'd rather hear them explain how this is an actual MMO and not just KOTOR3, now with multiplayer mode!. 

Going on and on about recording the voice work for what appear to be nothing more than in-engine cut-scenes only reinforces the opinion I already have about the game.  that being that it will be very light on the features most of us expect in an MMO.  It does look like a fun game though, and I enjoyed the first to Knights of the Old Republic game.  So I'll probably enjoy the third as well.

Troll elsewhere, your arguments are so bad it's getting ridiculous.

Your argument is that because this game has voice-overs and is made by the company that made one Kotor game, that makes it Kotor 3.

You realize that Bioware is setting up a NEW gameplay demo to show the public?  Right now the only thing you should be crying about is the wait.

You're worse than the trolls that call anything that is an MMO a WoW clone.  -_-

• Minion552Minion552 Member Posts: 67

Well here is what we know and you can bet your left or right on.  The VO are going to be a huge part in how your Toon comes out light/dark also it will lead you to other content.  Like for instance saying Go to hell I dont wanna kill ewoks you then get sent to kill Tuskens. or Vise versa.  The VO is going to be a huge part of what your toon does next and how it progresses.

Just like in KOTOR you say the wrong thing you get dark side points witch in turn will more then likly open a new pool of skills you can learn.  It is genuis to do so you lvl your toon as normal but with a twist on what skills you learn. In therory you could be on the grey area not light or dark with the choices you made.

Reason Bioware is so critcal right now on this is 1. Never been done before in a game and this will be the most story driven MMO you ever played. 2. Putting this first as the pillar of thier game allows them now to branch off from it , For E.X the more you quest and do the story the more you will open up content for yourself and here is some content... So what we know so far is this That lvling your toon will be done though combat and VO and the outcome of your toon will be important on what content that toon sees.

You can bet though that VO will be the backbone of this game and is the main reason Bioware is ramming it down our throats.

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

Voice overs and story aspects are actually parts that will raise the standards of MMOs. It is good that they talk about them. I am personally very interested. I am sure they will get to other parts as well, but from the footage it seems that the game is coming together pretty well and will be pretty much the action-adventure MMORPG I was hoping it would be.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368
    Originally posted by Minion552

Well here is what we know and you can bet your left or right on.  The VO are going to be a huge part in how your Toon comes out light/dark also it will lead you to other content. 

I think you misunderstand voice overs. You could as easily have subtitles, but they are there to add to the immersion. Think about Mass Effect with subtitles instead of full voice acting? A lot less immersion, right? Subtitles have been done before and so have voice overs to limited extend. However, Bioware is bringing two of their major selling points from their single player games to MMOs  - consequences and full voice acting.

Some people will be very dissapointed with this. I know why, but I do not agree with their reasons.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• Minion552Minion552 Member Posts: 67

I am sure you will need to listen to what is being said yes it will be more immersion however I do not think that is the only reason for VO. I think they want players to pay attension to the story and not skip the Dialouge to find out whats next.  I am pretty sure with the VO they want you to pay attension like in any other Bioware RPG.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    Originally posted by Minion552

I am sure you will need to listen to what is being said yes it will be more immersion however I do not think that is the only reason for VO. I think they want players to pay attension to the story and not skip the Dialouge to find out whats next.  I am pretty sure with the VO they want you to pay attension like in any other Bioware RPG.

yeah it'll stretch the content out to it'd intended length, fewer shortcuts and speed leveling.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125

A nice dissection of the video found here, some of the stuff I noticed, other things I missed

darthhater.com/2009/07/18/dissected-videodoc3/

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• m240gulfm240gulf Member UncommonPosts: 460
    Originally posted by tillamook

A nice dissection of the video found here, some of the stuff I noticed, other things I missed
    darthhater.com/2009/07/18/dissected-videodoc3/

Thanks for the link, very cool stuff on it

I Reject your Reality and Substitute it with My Own!

• ShadowsladyShadowslady Member UncommonPosts: 148

Why and How are they so good at making games?

Shadowlord Sage
    CmdrAkbar

Napa Valley, UO, 1997.

• VrazuleVrazule Member Posts: 1,095
    Originally posted by Faelan

This sounds truly fantastic and sure looks great according to the game footage from the interview.
    However...
    I'm a bit concerned about what's gonna happen when the game goes live and the developers find themselves up against the hardcore grinders, who will surely blast through all the content much quicker than anticipated. As everybody around here knows, content is constantly added in MMOs and it's pretty much a must in order to keep the players... well... playing and paying.
    Are they going to go through all the trouble with that content as well? With all that extra work required, can they keep up the pace so that the game doesn't become stagnant?
    I sure hope so, because that would be awesome to the extreme... but it still feels to me like they're being a bit too ambitious for their own good.

Why should everyone else suffer because hardcores blaze through content?  This game isn't targeted at hardcores, so who gives a crap if they stay or not.  The pace should be set for the target audience, not the hardcores who insist on playing a casual game.

With PvE raiding, it has never been a question of being "good enough". I play games to have fun, not to be a simpering toady sitting through hour after hour of mind numbing boredom and fawning over a guild master in the hopes that he will condescend to reward me with shiny bits of loot. But in games where those people get the highest progression, anyone who doesn't do that will just be a moving target for them and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay money for the privilege. - Neanderthal

• ArturslArtursl Member Posts: 24

Looks fantastic. Finally, a mmo that is aiming for the same quality storyline as single player games. Moral choices look great and it will get people attached to the main plot and their character, it also adds a lot of replayability, which is awesome for me, because I hate going through the same tedious bullshit grid/kill/delivery quests.

• SarbocabrasSarbocabras Member Posts: 257

I've been strongly looking forward to this game. The character models and the art style aren't working for me though.. I thougt the Hero game engine was much better then this. It would be shame for such a great game to be turned down because of graphics. I will buy the game regardless but character models need a change.. 

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

This really looks fantastic .... for a single player game , or perhaps online CO-OP

But this has nothing to do with MMO. And every further bit of info proves that.

The whole gameplay sequence they showed shouts "INSTANCED!"

And i wouldnt be suprise most of the game is.

Now I dont understand why I should pay monthly fee (and have no save, or posibility to pause the game) for such obvious SINGLEPLAYER RPG - no mater how good it is.

Simply its a good game. But its not MMO

• VrazuleVrazule Member Posts: 1,095
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

This really looks fantastic .... for a single player game , or perhaps online CO-OP

Now I dont understand why I should pay monthly fee (and have no save, or posibility to pause the game) for such obvious SINGLEPLAYER RPG - no mater how good it is.

The only thing that is proven is that it doesn't meet your definition of an MMO, but it does meet the dictonary's definition.  MMOs are evolving beasts, some will stay the same as the original MMOs, while others will strike off in different directions (Guild Wars and SW:TOR).  I'm so glad companies are finally willing to make at least token jestures to move away from old school paradigms.  It's a slow process that I wish would hurry up, but it is happening.

With PvE raiding, it has never been a question of being "good enough". I play games to have fun, not to be a simpering toady sitting through hour after hour of mind numbing boredom and fawning over a guild master in the hopes that he will condescend to reward me with shiny bits of loot. But in games where those people get the highest progression, anyone who doesn't do that will just be a moving target for them and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay money for the privilege. - Neanderthal

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

Personally I'm very much looking forward to this.  Everything I've seen so far has made me want to play it more, not less.  And most of the folks I know who are keeping an eye on it feel the same way.

KOTOR isn't going to be SWG.  Get over it.

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• BioNutBioNut Member Posts: 414
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

*sigh* Any person who is part of the Left 4 Dead 2 boycott takes themself or games entirely too seriously.

You have no imagination if you cannot see this working as a full MMO. Of coarse important story moments will be instanced. Almost every game does it.

This was a demo of a 'flashpoint' aka. story instance and does not reflect the whole game. The devs have stated they don't want TOR to be like guild wars.

This info you talk about doesn't prove anything other than your complete lack of comprehension. What part of "This game will have PvP, Raiding, crafting and everything else expected" do you not understand. 

If that turns out being false then they lied but seeing as how tight lipped they are about info I do not see that being the case.

I am a hardcore GAMER (notice I didn't say MMO player because they don't exist) and I am extremely excited for this game. I like single player stories but hate the majority of MMO grind games. I am a twitch gamer and get board if combat is too slow. SWTOR looks like a great MMORPG for me and many like me. It is going to have a great story and faster combat (although I would prefer it to be more like the Jedi Knight series but alas our internet cannot handle that).

Playing: Tera, BF3, ME3

Waiting on: Guild Wars 2

• VexeVexe Member Posts: 549

Look. You won't want to play this game if you don't like voice-overs and cut-scenes. Stop complaining about it and just leave it alone. Bioware is just as their name says they are: BIOWARE. Their games appeal to a specific audience that enjoys that immersion in their games. Their audience wants to have the game FEEL like the old Knights of the old Republic games. That's fine. If you don't like the game, don't play it. They are going to make this game and they're going to make it how they want to make it. Normally, this would be a very bad thing, but I personally trust bioware more than almost any other company out there. If you want your perfect star wars tgame that doesn't have any instanced missions and is entirely open and ONLY focuses on the missions and PvP and nothing else, then go make a company and make some games and team up with lucasarts yourself. Otherwise, let the people who know what they're doing, know what their audience wants, and knows how to make an RPG deal with it. 

Just stop whining. It's annoying.

(yes you are whining.)

Thank you.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

This is what I asked in another thread.

After watching the video doc I sure hope the game animations get smoother....eeek. Also, what is with the green boxy figures showing smugglers where to go for cover? Talk about holding a players hand. Plus the game play looks so linear. Like you ahve no choice but to do things a certain way and you must go here and you must go there and do this particular thing and that particular thing. Is there any freedom at all in the game regarding how, when and where we the player would like to take our character?

I know it sounds like I am knit-picking, but sheeesh...after watching those scenes it's as if everything is staged and your character is basically just along for the ride because the designers have all ready written what you'll be doing through out the game.

So my questions are.

Is there any freedom what so ever in this game?

How much MMO is there percentage wise to single player game?

Game looks like KoToR and seems to play like KoToR, now show us the MMO part of the game.

===================================================================

I would also like to know if the charactr graphics are really going to be so...I hate to say it...circa maybe 2001.   The skins of the character models look painted on and sorta remind me of old Dark Age of Camelot or maybe going into the realm of EQ2.   I know the SW:ToR guys said they were going for a stylized vision - but...seriously?   The character graphics need some work in my opinion and as I said before so do the animations.   They seem choppy and do not flow very well.  Just my opinion.