Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Would Happen if WoW Opened a Server Where All Content Could Be Soloed?

Let's say blizzard opens a WoW server where all content has been adjusted to be soloable. No instance or boss encounter takes more than 1 hour sequential increments at a time to accomplish for the solo player.  Even casual, solo players can beat anything in the game eventually, and gain any reward.

What would happen?

Comments

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Everyone would be maxxed out in a month or two and be bored to death since there is no challenge.

• RajenRajen Member Posts: 689

Everyone would probably play on that server probably, since the major of people do not find raiding very fun anymore and raid groups are more trouble than they are worth.

I think you can do this on private servers already but not legally.

• Toquio3Toquio3 Member Posts: 1,074

I would go back to wow for one month to see all the content and then quit again.

If you stand VERY still, and close your eyes, after a minute you can actually FEEL the universe revolving around PvP.

• DnomsedDnomsed Member UncommonPosts: 261

Interesting.  In all honesty, I'd resub for as long as it took for me to kill all the bosses I'd missed in my previous years playing.  It would be a lark for a few months, but thats it.

Warhammer fanatic since '85.

• sanders01sanders01 Member Posts: 1,357

I wouldn't play on it, since I liked the grouping/Raid aspect of WoW.

Currently restarting World of Warcraft :/

• VizzaVizza Member Posts: 32

I think the server would be pretty empty. The bosses aren't designed for soloing. If you just reduce hp and dmg it's still not the same thing as playing them in a team.

• GothikaboyGothikaboy Member UncommonPosts: 119

The wow nerds would slit their wrists?

Please do not hype any gam.. oh wait, nevermind... forgot what forum I was on.

• NullailNullail Member UncommonPosts: 68

People would get bored pretty soon and move back to their previous servers.

Hunter Nullail Destruction - 85 Ranger. Bristlebane (Solusek Ro) - EQ
    Knight-Captain Nullail - 60 Hunter. C'Thun - Pre TBC - WoW
    Nullail - 80 BE Hunter.Kor'Gall - WoW
    Hunter Nullail - 55 Ranger. Telon - VG
    Nullail Destruction - Archer/Bard - Cerberus. FFXIV

• JosherJosher Member Posts: 2,818

Considering the content in WOW is great for a MMO but lame for a single player game....a single player MMO wouldn't have legs.

• MeleagarMeleagar Member Posts: 407
    Originally posted by Daffid011

Everyone would be maxxed out in a month or two and be bored to death since there is no challenge.

You don't think that there would be a substantial number of casual players who would flock to the server, and play for years at their casual rate, knowing that eventually they can see and get everything that WoW has to offer, forever staying behind the expansion curve and always having something else to explore, kill, gain, or achieve?

• NicksdNicksd Member Posts: 403

I still wouldn't resub.

Originally posted by Meleagar

You don't think that there would be a substantial number of casual players who would flock to the server, and play for years at their casual rate, knowing that eventually they can see and get everything that WoW has to offer, forever staying behind the expansion curve and always having something else to explore, kill, gain, or achieve?

Having goals in mmos is more important than achieving them.  No I really don't think they would. 

What is being described is a monthly fee for a single player game, which as far as I can tell hasn't been really popular. 

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Having goals in mmos is more important than achieving them.  No I really don't think they would. 

What is being described is a monthly fee for a single player game, which as far as I can tell hasn't been really popular. 

Really? This makes it a single-player game? You're not interacting with other people at all, because you're not raiding? Interesting view you have on things.

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822

Meh, they already have that on many free servers.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I'd only do it if all the content altered itself dynamically to the size and class composition of my group.

So we could raid everything with only a couple of players. That would still be fun, as the game would alter the difficulty to perfectly suit out little group and offer enough challenge to justify the reward.

Doing everything solo would be extremely boring and no more then a grind.

I dunno, I may be in the minority but doing things with other players and friends is why I play MMORPGs.

• sanders01sanders01 Member Posts: 1,357
    Originally posted by heerobya

I'd only do it if all the content altered itself dynamically to the size and class composition of my group.
    So we could raid everything with only a couple of players. That would still be fun, as the game would alter the difficulty to perfectly suit out little group and offer enough challenge to justify the reward.
    Doing everything solo would be extremely boring and no more then a grind.
    I dunno, I may be in the minority but doing things with other players and friends is why I play MMORPGs.

Did this during BC when me and my freinds weren't raiding TBC content. Tried to 3-4 man LBRS, UBRS, MC, etc. most of the old raids, though we failed most of the time, it was nonetheless one of the funnest things i've ever done in a game.

Currently restarting World of Warcraft :/

• ninjajucerninjajucer Member Posts: 219

Played the trial a few times and I wasn't aware that any of the content was not soloable. Not being able to talk in region, or use the AH to buy things, and all the other limits on the trial, turned me off to subbing to the game. I believe a trial should have a level cap and maybe other caps, but the rest of the game should be open to experience all it has to offer, not shut you out. Sorry to go off topic, but soloing is the only way to play with the trial unless you know people alreadfy playing it.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Solo players and twinks would play on it, regular players would just stay where they are.

I dont see any actual gain for Blizzard in it, they are already having a lot of content for solo players.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I'd much rather Blizzard spent the time/money/effort to make "heroic" level 80 versions of all the old instances and raids.

Even make 5 and 10 and 25 and the old school 40 player versions up to a level 80 difficulty with matching gear for all the old raids. Bring back Tiers 1-6 as "legacy" level 80 sets.

5 player MC/BWL/Kara/SSC/dungeons etc. etc. at level 80 with iLvl 200 gear.

10 player MC/BWL/Kara/SSC/dungeons etc. etc. at level 80 with iLvL 213 gear.

25 player ..... with 226

40 player MC/BWL/AQ40 with 232

• DewmDewm Member UncommonPosts: 1,337
    Originally posted by Comnitus

Really? This makes it a single-player game? You're not interacting with other people at all, because you're not raiding? Interesting view you have on things.

at best people would play'd it. get maxed and quite, and after see'ing all that content....why go back to standard servers? So a small comunity would spur up only for the PVP and the rest would quite and start looking for another mmo.

At worst....people would see it as a lame/crappy idea....and it would have about 15 people on it for around a month, then blizz would close the server. and life would continue on its normal course.

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BettyofDewm/videos

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by ninjajucer

Played the trial a few times and I wasn't aware that any of the content was not soloable. Not being able to talk in region, or use the AH to buy things, and all the other limits on the trial, turned me off to subbing to the game. I believe a trial should have a level cap and maybe other caps, but the rest of the game should be open to experience all it has to offer, not shut you out. Sorry to go off topic, but soloing is the only way to play with the trial unless you know people alreadfy playing it.

Sadly almost all trials are like this now.

EQ2 and all SoE games don't let you invite players or talk in general chat or whisper people.

Final Fantasy XI's trial does  think...  

I'm fairly sure that AoC's trial doesn't let you talk in general chat either.  I think city of heroes is like this too.

Originally posted by Comnitus

Maybe I'm over generalizing and that is somewhat intentional, but I don't think this would prove to be some awesome change that some think it would be.  The point of the thread was SOLO gameplay, so yes I do feel it would make the game nothing more than a single player game with a subscription fee since you wouldn't be interacting with other people except to maybe chat and hang out.  There is also more to multiplayer games than raiding, but this thread is about soloing, so yeah.  

I think the end result would be the same, because solo play is easy and quickly consumed. 

• JosherJosher Member Posts: 2,818
    Originally posted by Laughing-man

Originally posted by ninjajucer

Sadly almost all trials are like this now.

EQ2 and all SoE games don't let you invite players or talk in general chat or whisper people.

Final Fantasy XI's trial does  think...  

I'm fairly sure that AoC's trial doesn't let you talk in general chat either.  I think city of heroes is like this too.

Blame the farmers for forcing Blizzard's hand when it comes to the trial experience.  It wasn't that way when the trial first came out.  The scum of the earth, I mean farmers and gold sellers, always manage to destroy a game in any possible way.  The trial is one of them.  Obviously it hasn't hurt the game much as far as attracting people.   However,  if not being able to chat or use the AH is enough of a turn off,  were you really going to play in the first place?  Doubt it.   What the heck were you going to sell or buy on the AH at single digit levels=)  And how is not chatting in a trial seriously impacting how the game plays, which is all a trial is.

Any game thats being attacked by farmers has to limit chatting because of all the spam.  If they can use a trial account to accomplish anything devious they'll do it.  The few ruin it for the many.  Always been that way.  Always will.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Let's say blizzard opens a WoW server where all content has been adjusted to be soloable. No instance or boss encounter takes more than 1 hour sequential increments at a time to accomplish for the solo player.  Even casual, solo players can beat anything in the game eventually, and gain any reward.
    What would happen?

I will transfer my char to that server right away.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

iIt makes no sense really.  Haven't played in a while (pre-TBC) but i can't see a player soloing even MC and then killing Ragnoaros or CThun solo and conidering it any sort of accomplishment.

It's like giving people cheat codes to invoke god mode in a single player game.  Once you've done it, pretty much no more reason to play, ever.

My son has played WOW on a private server where they make the content very easy, (not totally soloable) and he said its totally pointless, and no challenge, and preferre to stay on the pay server instead.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon