Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you play it?

mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396

I, personally, would not touch this game.  Usually, I am not one to judge games, on graphics, but I don't think that I would pay 10 dollars for this...

Opinions?

Comments

• MichkeMichke Member UncommonPosts: 106

When it comes to graphics, a 2D environment is not going to impress, certainly not if the company released screenshots are dated. Look at the member submitted screenshots if you want to see what it looks like now. You could even go play the free trial (up to lvl 50).

For more information about the game and a better feel about the content you could visit http://www.nexusatlas.com (fansite with a lot of information about the game).

The elements that keep me playing are :

• Roleplaying : Player driven game with the tools to be able to have an impact on the community (as a player within an organisation (player ran sub-class or clans/armies/ministries))
    • Live content (mostly player hosted) : small and medium sized daily events such as elixir war (freeze tag with ranged weapons), fox hunts (teams of 6 capturing the oposing captain or fox following captain), PvP arena fights, various community ran minigames
    • No level cap (you can just keep hunting and getting more powerful)
    • Healouts (if you're fast enough you can heal out of death)
    • Acquire fame (social status)
    • Legend (quest/event record) visible for other players
    • Vast historical in game background

-

• rev_lazarorev_lazaro Member Posts: 270

Originally posted by mike470

I, personally, would not touch this game.  Usually, I am not one to judge games, on graphics, but I don't think that I would pay 10 dollars for this...
    Opinions?

I was subscribing to this game before I heard about Ultima Online. This is a game that came from an era where 3D video cards were still very new and few games supported them on the market.

It's like a Wii player looking back at the Zelda games on SNES and going "Man, I don't think I'd play this...."

That's fine. There's plenty of shinies.

It's just a different game from a different era, and now that it's changed hands it feels more like an antique for us to remember "the good ol' days".

• crunchyblackcrunchyblack Member Posts: 1,362

i would play this game if .......

it were 1987

my computer was from 1987

i made the game myself

all other games were outlawed

god came to me in a vision and told me to play

i was messed up on drugs and thought it was a real game

thats about all i could come up with

• RespyShuntRespyShunt Member Posts: 396

nowadays, no.  Maybe back in the day when i was on my 95 compaq presario.  i did some research and it seemed pretty popular in korea, and is what started the whole Lineage classic 2d craze over there.  its made by the same guy who did lin 1 i think, too.

• hattianhattian Member Posts: 2

This game used to be fun, but don't bother anymore.  Some dog lovers convinced the GM to put a bunch of wild dogs in the game.  They are everywhere, literally, and people can tame 6 of them.  Crowded areas are even more crowded because everyone has 6 stupid dogs with them, it's so stupid.  And if a few people go afk, good luck moving anywhere.  This Nexus tk kingdom of the winds game has a dog problem, it's dog hell.

• CowboyKarimCowboyKarim Member Posts: 15

I'll try to stay non-biased about this, because everyone has their personal preference, you will rarely find two people with the EXACT same likings in games and aspects of games.

I played this game over 10 years ago in Beta and every year it seemed like I went back to it. What lures you into this game is not the graphics but the community. At the time the community seemed a little more mature than they are now.

The best way I can describe the feeling of this game is the "small town," everyone knows each other (and back then there might have even been more players than now which now there will be maybe 600 people logged on at the same time back then ive seen upwards of 800 maybe even a 1000 if i remember correctly)

Every game, if you are open minded about it, provides entertainment, I think, at least after some period of time of getting into it. This is why some people are attracted to games played over a web browser with hardly any graphics compared to a 3d game where everything is visual candy. 

I can't say much about the game now since I don't play it much but the graphics have changed somewhat, they seem to have more of that "anime-ish" style to them. 

Hunting is probably the biggest part of this game (or maybe carnages I should say). Once you hit level 99 its a race for stats. You hunt hunt hunt (not so many quests) for exp to sell for stats, health, vita, etc. 

Carnages are the biggest PvP in the game. You will battle within an arena and it is surprisingly fun (I think). In fact some people registered just to participate in carnages.

There are also crafts like weaving/gem cutting/ woodworking/etc. Its kind of a grind in a way I think but the best thing is to try it for youself. There is a free trial up to level 49 now so I think you can get a lot of the game in the problem is that you have to experience it all within a tutorial area rather than the outside worl like it use to be (when it only went up to level 11).

• DekthroDekthro Member UncommonPosts: 24

It was worth playing. Before Kru was in charge.

• morowskimorowski Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by Kilrokk

It was worth playing. Before Kru was in charge.

I disagree with you. I find playing Nexustk more enjoyable now that KRU has been in charge. Before Kru, Nexon rarely did anything besides odd server reset. Once Kru took over, they started releasing new events and quests.

• ArkudelArkudel Member UncommonPosts: 32

People are attracted to Nexus TK in the same way that most flock to watch a really bad accident on the highway -- deep down, you really want to see someone having a worse day than you.

Individual members of the community are like individual train wrecks who not only will tell you their life story, but expect you to give a damn -- and then leech them through a cave.

An example that comes to mind was a dude named xCorroxivex (original, right?) who needed to fulfill the ridiculous requirements necessary to ascend to the next level of power, Ee-san. First thing he did was write in to the head poet asking that guy at the time to abuse an xp awarding system because, "I have cancer and will die soon, in the meantime Nexus is the only thing that makes life worth living." He also sent in a plaigerized poem to the poetry contest: A Poison Tree, by Robert Blake -- because one of the requirements is to either be a high level crafter, or win a "culture" contest.

In conclusion, if your dream, deep down, is to live in a trailer park -- or if you watch COPS to make yourself feel better about life -- or, perhaps, are schizophrenic, Nexus TK has what you are looking for.

Otherwise go do cocaine, it's less addictive -- and probably less harmful to the world.

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531

LMFAO, I was just on MMORPG.com to check out on some new games to try and found this old game that I started playing back in 1995-96 as character Ashe.

This game had it all in my view until 2001 the date that I deleted myself. Putting players in charge of a justice system is a no-no in my book.

It was a nice race between me,SueW and Bucky for mage supremacy,but SueW clearly won that race with me 2nd and Bucky leaving the game before me. I was the proud player and owner of the first FL (Faerie light staff) dropped by a H3 (Horse 3 cave) boss on a Saturday morning while eating breakfest

EE-san / Sa-san or whatever,looks like they take a long time to reach,especially when you need a year to max sage level for sa-san if I'm not mistaken. Sometimes adding features can destroy a game,NexusTK should of just stayed with the vita/mp raising system through EXP tradeing and unlocking spells once at a certain ammount of stats rather then putting players through a load of tests involving bosses that spawn anywhere between 20 minutes - 3 hours.

I would of kept playing the game if bosses were in a seperate room that only you can enter or your party,like a seperate server,so 20 people can kill the same boss at the same time but not togheter,anyways sounds far fetched but Atlantica online clearly got it through.

TK 3.0 was where the action was,the best community the game ever had and will ever have. Now a days it's just grabbing the less people possible to get the most exp possible,back then you wouldn't find a hardcore party with less then 8-9 people in mythic monkeys or a diamond formation in black skel cave. The game was perfect back then,oh the memories...

• InimigoInimigo Member Posts: 12

I did, and boy did I regret. And I thought Dark Ages was a huge pile of crap...

This game IS as bad as it seems.

Obnoxious crap game flamer.

• SidraketSidraket Member Posts: 79

This used to be a good game, but almost everything about it has changed since then.

Not only have the graphics changed entierly from a more traditional snes-like sprite rpg to some strange anime shiny crap, but the entire way people hunt is also changed.

In my time playing this game i saw the following happen.

1. It used to be people spammed their attacks such as hellfire or whirlwind etc, which took from you and did damage based on a percent of your health/mana. (remember since this game is all about buying more stats once you hit the level cap these attacks scale and become more and more powerful as your character does)

2. Then aethers were put in at the end of 3.0. These effectivly placed cooldowns on all of these attacks. So the pattern changed to (what i think was a more sensible) focus on making these super powerful one shot kill attacks, instead of just reasonable damage spammy attacks. The hunting method during this time period was fun. You basically went around in a group one shot killing mobs. You hunted in an area you were powerful enough to one-shot things in. Because these attacks, as i mentioned took your health to use, you needed a healer to heal you back up. So a party had a mage for CC, and warrior/poet(the heal class) combos (sometimes rogue/poet) who went around one-shotting things.

3. NPC subpaths were put in, giving warriors and rogues rage and cunning, which made normal hits do reasonable damage again. This did not change much right away, but i remember even then lamenting that equipment and gear started becoming more important (prior to that the most powerful people could just go around naked if they wanted to, they could just literaly kill stuff with their raw stats, I always felt that this was the absolute pinacle of 'power' in an mmo, not having the best gear, but not needing it. Thats one thing i will say about nexus, it made you feel powerful better than any mmo ive ever played since)

4. Finally lances were put in and the whole thing turned into just 'hitting' stuff. nobody bothered using their powerful stat based attacks because you could just have a cunning or a do sit there invis meleeing things while holding down their attack button.

Thats when i quit, because thats when it finally started to suck too badly.

Was a great game for a while, and carnages were lots of fun. I remember, as a poet, i always enjoyed the last parts where there was just one poet from the losing team remaining, it became a sort of mini-game to see how long it could suvive. I saw some impressive healspam on occasion, even got to do it myself once ^_^

But even carnages stopped being fun once they developed too many tiers. I remember when the highest carnage was just 'wasabi +', and it was balanced around two teams, one had chongun on it, and the other had calmwind. That was the only way balance could be achieved.

If there is any game out there in existance today, that would benifit from 'starting over', this would be it. If they started a new server and limited it to version 4.0-4.5 content, i would play it in a heartbeat, if only to be more serious. I was always slower at hunting that everyone else. I think i healed three entire generations of the 'uber buff people', all of them passed me ^_^ But oh well, i never did like rat3 anyway.

I will say though, that this game is proof that you dont need an 'end game' in mmos. This games 'end game' was 'continue to gain exp', and it was highly adictive and worked just fine. That, and this games stat based attacks which i have mentioned earlier, that take a percent of your health/mana to cast and do damage based on what they took (in combination with the ability to continue increasing these stats with exp), are gems of MMO design and i really wish other games would copy them.

• CowboyKarimCowboyKarim Member Posts: 15

Opinions?

Unfortunately today people judge games based on graphics. Im glad you were straightforward with your first impression but I hope others can give you another side to the story. Those of us who grew up (11-12 years old) when these games were first coming out see them in a completely different light. For example, I may have quit this game 10 times or more over 10+ years yet it still ends up coming to mind.

The thing about this game is the sense of community. I've been playing lots of games but I cannot get that same sense of being part of a community because everyone seems to be off doing their own thing. Maybe it has to do with the fact that is difficult to hunt alone so you end up getting to know lots of different people (though HAVING to hunt with a group sucks sometimes, this would be an upside to it)

This is the kind of game where you can't walk around in a certain area without feeling weird if you don't say something to people you see. It is a "player run" game but don't get the wrong impression of this. Though players run community events/etc which is pretty neat, and even take part in events sponsored by Kru (or Nexon as it was), if you try to do something like start a new clan and actually get Kru to make you a guild hall that you can actually see IN GAME, it does take a lot of time and effort so don't think it's like Ultima Online where you just buy a house deed, place it on an empty spot and call it a day.

Maybe it's just because I grew up playing this game, but ever since playing it I've found it very hard to play other games (I mean I've gotten into games like Lineage 2, WoW, Aion, EVE online, ultima online, etc, etc) but in the end I get more of a "at home" feeling with Nexus though it has a lot of corruption I would like to see corrected.

It use to have a nicer feel of role-playing as well but slowly people are drifting away from that, and I miss it to be honest, gives the game a little extra "zest."

In the end, though, to everyone their own =)

• MCLustt910MCLustt910 Member Posts: 42
    Originally posted by crunchyblack

i would play this game if .......
    it were 1987
    my computer was from 1987
    i made the game myself
    all other games were outlawed
    god came to me in a vision and told me to play
    i was messed up on drugs and thought it was a real game
    thats about all i could come up with

*facepalm*

You fucking idiot, the internet was not out in 1987, so of course you would play it.

• MCLustt910MCLustt910 Member Posts: 42
    Originally posted by CowboyKarim

Opinions?

Unfortunately today people judge games based on graphics. Im glad you were straightforward with your first impression but I hope others can give you another side to the story. Those of us who grew up (11-12 years old) when these games were first coming out see them in a completely different light. For example, I may have quit this game 10 times or more over 10+ years yet it still ends up coming to mind.

The thing about this game is the sense of community. I've been playing lots of games but I cannot get that same sense of being part of a community because everyone seems to be off doing their own thing. Maybe it has to do with the fact that is difficult to hunt alone so you end up getting to know lots of different people (though HAVING to hunt with a group sucks sometimes, this would be an upside to it)

This is the kind of game where you can't walk around in a certain area without feeling weird if you don't say something to people you see. It is a "player run" game but don't get the wrong impression of this. Though players run community events/etc which is pretty neat, and even take part in events sponsored by Kru (or Nexon as it was), if you try to do something like start a new clan and actually get Kru to make you a guild hall that you can actually see IN GAME, it does take a lot of time and effort so don't think it's like Ultima Online where you just buy a house deed, place it on an empty spot and call it a day.

Maybe it's just because I grew up playing this game, but ever since playing it I've found it very hard to play other games (I mean I've gotten into games like Lineage 2, WoW, Aion, EVE online, ultima online, etc, etc) but in the end I get more of a "at home" feeling with Nexus though it has a lot of corruption I would like to see corrected.

It use to have a nicer feel of role-playing as well but slowly people are drifting away from that, and I miss it to be honest, gives the game a little extra "zest."

In the end, though, to everyone their own =)

I agree, I truly miss nexus.

My favorite character, Poetic's code got permanently blocked, and Kru won't seem to respond to my ticket.

I want nexon back. ='(

• KabanzaiKabanzai Member Posts: 1

Alas, I used to love this game. When you created your character, you went and hunted squirrels for nuts, and rabits for meat.. That was cool. The storyline was excellent, and while the characters were very simple graphics, I had fun.

However, I recently went back to this game, generated a character.. And immediately quit. The reason wasn't the graphics, nor the community. It was the development of the game had taken a turn that made me sick. .I spawned in ancient china, during winter (which is fine) .. and was sent to kill alligators in the back yard. Which .. Were worse graphics than they are normally in this game to boot. So.. yeah, I just gave up on it and .. was told the other games I loved such as Darkages took a worser turn.