Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mythic being involved in TOR is like some one giving you a nice cold glass of 99% water....

when your extremely thirsty  but someone put pee in the other 1%.

Comments

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

But can you taste that 1% pee though?

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Another time to almost stay speechless.

Really? I mean really?

• NymandusNymandus Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Originally posted by cukimunga

LOL..you are a definately 99% full kinda person cukimunga...nice.

• OzarumonOzarumon Member Posts: 107

Just experiemented and yes

• M1sf1tM1sf1t Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Good thing pee is sterile. :P

Games I've played/tried out:WAR, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, AoC, EQ1, EQ2, WoW, Vangaurd, FFXI, D&DO, Lineage 2, Saga Of Ryzom, EvE Online, DAoC, Guild Wars,Star Wars Galaxies, Hell Gate London, Auto Assault, Grando Espada ( AKA SoTNW ), Archlord, CoV/H, Star Trek Online, APB, Champions Online, FFXIV, Rift Online, GW2.

Game(s) I Am Currently Playing:

GW2 (+LoL and BF3)

• vinzonevinzone Member UncommonPosts: 255

Pee is pretty potent I'm sure you would get a bad taste in your mouth from that 1% especially because its in water.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

What's the "pee" in TOR in this analogy?

What features is Mythic supposedly adding that equal pee?

• KordeshKordesh Member Posts: 1,715

Originally posted by templarga

Mythic isn't involved in TOR.
    Mythic and Bioware have been organizationally arranged under the same MMO branch of EA. The head of said branch is a Bioware employee.
    I have yet to see anything where it says Mythic is working on the game in any capacity.

This. Mythic and Bioware haven't merged. As EA chisels them into further corrupted and bastardized forms, they figured they could take some scraps from the two and mold them together to form a third abomination that will surely produce some yet unnamed horror that will under deliver and then try to sell back the rest of the features via DLC/Marketplace

Bans a perma, but so are sigs in necro posts.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

• logangregorlogangregor Member Posts: 1,524

Originally posted by Ozarumon

Im a little bit offended here because what mmo has Bioware made?
    Yet your knocking Mythic who has produced MMOs.

Mythic pulled out one great mmo and one mmo that should of been DAOC 2 but was sadly lacking. Warhammer is not a terrible game. I know plenty of people who are playing and having a blast. Its not my cup of tea, but at least its a cup.

Again I ask WHAT FKING MMO HAS BIOWARE MADE?
    They are at best unproven.

Oh but theyve made games. Thats nice. Thats like Saturn trying there hand in top fuel dragster building..
    "OMG SATURN IS GOING TO MAKE THE FASTEST DRAGSTER YOUVE EVER SEEN".
    voice of reason "How many dragsters has Saturn built?"
    "NONE BUT IT WILL BE AWESOME".
    "So I heard John Force(Mythic) is helping you all make your new dragster?"
    "Yeah I hope he doesnt ruin it!!"

/sigh

• AxeionAxeion Member UncommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by logangregor

Mythic pulled out one great mmo and one mmo that should of been DAOC 2 but was sadly lacking. Warhammer is not a terrible game. I know plenty of people who are playing and having a blast. Its not my cup of tea, but at least its a cup.

Oh but theyve made games. Thats nice. Thats like Saturn trying there hand in top fuel dragster building..

/sigh

if half the people who just read that an understood the drag racing compariosn , or even understoood who john force is id be shocked. totaly nail on the head tho logangregor that was dead on./agree

warhammer online was not bad i quit becuase of lag problems that may have been my old vid cards .playing age of conan as my side game an eq as main now .but would not mind a bit to play warhammer again  later on.

mythic is not a bad company an warhammer is not a bad mmo.i am looking forward to swtor but if any thing the op has just feel for the fickel fanboy wave bioware perfect an mythic is not.

makeing a rpg is not the same as a mmorpg

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." — Robert E. Howard, The Tower of the Elephant (1933)

• Kaelaan21Kaelaan21 Member UncommonPosts: 349
    Originally posted by Axeion

/sigh

if half the people who just read that an understood the drag racing compariosn , or even understoood who john force is id be shocked. totaly nail on the head tho logangregor that was dead on./agree

warhammer online was not bad i quit becuase of lag problems that may have been my old vid cards .playing age of conan as my side game an eq as main now .but would not mind a bit to play warhammer again  later on.

mythic is not a bad company an warhammer is not a bad mmo.i am looking forward to swtor but if any thing the op has just feel for the fickel fanboy wave bioware perfect an mythic is not.

makeing a rpg is not the same as a mmorpg

Not only did I get the comparison, I completely agree. I -LOVE- BioWare's RPG games, ... BUT... I believe that taking too many elements of their most popular games would end up creating a poor MMO. If I want a complete story driven game, I would end up playing a single player non-MMO. There is so much more that can be done. In the MMO, I am looking more for group cooperation, group competition, achievement of some form, and most importantly fun and value for the money I spend. These days where an MMO costs just as much as a normal single player game AND has a sub attached, it needs to be great and it needs to be different.

I think that a lot of people will be dissappointed with BioWare's MMO.

One thing that I give Mythic a lot of credit for is that 5 years after the game was released, not only did they replace the entire game engine, but they replaced all of the graphic textures as well. The only other main stream MMO that I know of to do this with their entire game was EVE Online. Even though I don't agree with everything they have done over the years, this does show that they do care about their product and take pride in their work.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Bioware is known to make great games. Even if it's not an MMO by someone's definition, it will still be a great game and I will enjoy it nevertheless. You see: I don't care if its not an MMO as long as its good.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• ShanniaShannia Member Posts: 2,096

At least we can begin to see thru the RPG/MMO Group thinking now.

My guess is, BioWare was stuck with issues in SW:TOR and was leaning on Mark Jacobs and company at Mythic for help.  Mark and company was dealing with their own issues at Mythic trying to get a handle on WAR.  BioWare didn't like the lack of help from Mythic so went up the chain.  Mark told EA to tell BioWare to go hire their own experts he was having enough issues.  EA said, screw that... we'll cut our losses and run with WAR and send BioWare what ever resources/help that they needed to attempt to ensure success woth SW:TOR.  Next thing you, Mark Jacobs is on a two month vacation burning all his leave and selling all his stock and stock options before getting the axe from Mythic, the company he helped form. 

Fear not fanbois, we are not trolls, let's take off your tin foil hat and learn what VAPORWARE is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

"Vaporware is a term used to describe a software or hardware product that is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge after having well exceeded the period of development time that was initially claimed or would normally be expected for the development cycle of a similar product."

• arcdevilarcdevil Member Posts: 864

/sigh

BioWare has made tons of great (offline) games

What has Mythic made? They have always been a one-trick-pony, living off the reputation earned with DAOC.

With WAR they have proved DAOC was just dumb luck, they know jack shit of making MMOs, communicating with the playerbase, and RvR in general. They got a success, they killed it with their incompetence, and they were absolutly uncapable to repeat the success again...just the sheer failure

DAOC was once an amazing game, that they slowly killed with horrible updates and expansions till TOA became the last nail on the coffin, and their inability to balance their own classes has become provervial within the industry

WAR is DAOC 2, in the sense they repeated every single mistake they did with DAOC, just since this time they had tons of cash toblow, the process of corruption and degradation was 100x faster

Mythic has the inverse Midas touch. everything they touch become crap

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847

I am not that concerned about Mythic working on TOR or helping Bioware or whatever they are doing. Mythic is a great company and they are being led by one of the original devs of DAOC, the greatest MMO ever (in my opinion). Just because WAR has issues, you cannot condemn the whole company.
    Can we condemn the whole company when the only MMO they did right was the original DAoC back in 2001?
    Can we condemn the whole company when they ruined DAoC beyond repair?
    Can we condemn the whole company when their second MMO, Warhammer Online, turned out worse than the wreck they left DAoC in?

Face it people, DAoC was a freshman fluke.
    Mythic is a one hit wonder.
    Mythic is a has-been company that can only poison Bioware.

• jinxitjinxit Member UncommonPosts: 854

I'm sorry but mythic being involved with KOTOR has been on the cards for a good while now, even a press statement Bioware made a while back pointed to mythic's involvement with the mention of several features that appear in DAOC and WAR including public quests and realm vs realm combat. I don't see the problem here though, Mythics public quest system and realm vs realm are 2 of the best ideas to come into mmo's of late and if bioware want those features in there game....well good on them.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by arcdevil

With WAR they have proved DAOC was just dumb luck

I think this is quite accurate among some of the MMO developers. More luck than skill. The saying: "Better be lucky than good" may work in poker but not here.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• John.A.ZoidJohn.A.Zoid Member Posts: 1,531

Yup the other 1% is chlorine if you're talking about tap.

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

Thinking about this logically.. unlike the normal emotional rantings that occur on these forums..

What can Mythic possibly help BioWare with?

Game Engine? - Hero Engine developed by Simutronics, Mythic has never used it and BioWare has been using it for four years, doubt Mythic will help with this.

Server Infastructure? - Fully expect Simutronics to have advised BioWare on all this, as after all, it will be running their game engine.

Art Direction / Style? - This was all done years ago, not sure Mythic could contribute anything to this at all, expect maybe lending them some more artists to create in-game assets.

PvE? - BioWare has spelled out in great detail the PvE experience of SWTOR, this would indicate they've done a lot of the work on it already and are unlikely to need Mythic's help with it.

PvP? - Supposed to be a big part of the game, but we've seen next to no information about it. This is the most likely area that Mythic would be able to help BioWare, considering their foundation on RvR orientated MMOs.

It is pretty depressing really, as whilst DAoC is good for the RvR, WAR just seems to have got it all wrong, city sieges / raids are so broken its pathetic.

• comerbcomerb Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by arcdevil

/sigh

BioWare has made tons of great (offline) games

What has Mythic made? They have always been a one-trick-pony, living off the reputation earned with DAOC.

With WAR they have proved DAOC was just dumb luck, they know jack shit of making MMOs, communicating with the playerbase, and RvR in general. They got a success, they killed it with their incompetence, and they were absolutly uncapable to repeat the success again...just the sheer failure

DAOC was once an amazing game, that they slowly killed with horrible updates and expansions till TOA became the last nail on the coffin, and their inability to balance their own classes has become provervial within the industry

WAR is DAOC 2, in the sense they repeated every single mistake they did with DAOC, just since this time they had tons of cash toblow, the process of corruption and degradation was 100x faster

Mythic has the inverse Midas touch. everything they touch become crap

Mythic, along with Kesmai, where pioneers in online gaming.  They've probably made more online only game's than any other company that ever existed.

They closed up shop on all there other game's when they decided to put all their money/manpower into DAoC.  Which did quite well in its time... and many people still herald as the best MMO that ever existed.

Granted, I'm no fan of WAR.  But you can't discount that Mythic  has as much or more experience is making online games as anyone in the industry.

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258
    Originally posted by vinzone

Pee is pretty potent I'm sure you would get a bad taste in your mouth from that 1% especially because its in water.

I guess it depends how much water you drink before you put that 1% pee in the water.  But yeah It probably wouldn't taste to good either way.

• ShanniaShannia Member Posts: 2,096
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

I am not that concerned about Mythic working on TOR or helping Bioware or whatever they are doing. Mythic is a great company and they are being led by one of the original devs of DAOC, the greatest MMO ever (in my opinion). Just because WAR has issues, you cannot condemn the whole company.
    Can we condemn the whole company when the only MMO they did right was the original DAoC back in 2001?

Can we condemn the whole company when their second MMO, Warhammer Online, turned out worse than the wreck they left DAoC in?

Xiaoki, your logic is baffles me.  From what you are saying, if SW:TOR is hit it will be no thanks to the help they received from Mythic.  If SW:TOR is flop, then your line of thought says that it won't be from BioWare's own issues, but because EA tossed Mythic into the mix during production.  Ultima Online, DAOC, and WAR are all good games in their own right.  Comparing DAOC to WAR is foolish.  The reason why WAR is the shell of the game it could have been is because of money.  Mythic had too little of it and EA jumped in to buy a company that needed cash, so they could get their greedy paws on the WAR title.  Nothing more, nothing less.  To say Mythic will poison BioWare is foolish.

Fear not fanbois, we are not trolls, let's take off your tin foil hat and learn what VAPORWARE is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

"Vaporware is a term used to describe a software or hardware product that is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge after having well exceeded the period of development time that was initially claimed or would normally be expected for the development cycle of a similar product."

• sabiosusabiosu Member UncommonPosts: 33

I stated my two cents 2 weeks ago in the other thread regarding the takeover of mythic by BioWare.

You guys have to understand that in any company, even if they produced a problematic product ( in our case WAR ) the guys working there are not morons, they good at theyr jobs and they are suposed to be EMPLOYEES. If Mark Jacobs - the exboss - said they have to do that, well, they did that... but that is not at all a blame on the programmer that writed the codelines. Now MJ is gone, BioWare management come in ( and try be honnest, BioWare track is impresive in managing projects ) and they are reorganizing the stuff... based on two simple reasons - WAR is dead or at least dieing, imposible to save, so, a scheleton crew is created to manage the servers and keep them running for at least 1 year this all is over, no point to waste time and money to save that rotting game... rest of the people, the creme de la creme of Mythic is just reasigned to work on ToR to help speed thing up and provide Austin BioWare more resources... they are not having any imput in the game concept, be sure that was sealed and done years ago.

So, happy that my statements from 2 weeks ago come true, let's hope that this more menpower for ToR will speed up the finishing of the game and for us should be good news - beta maybe starting 3 months earlyer ?

/salute

• gamerman98gamerman98 Member UncommonPosts: 807

Originally posted by Shannia

Originally posted by Xiaoki

Xiaoki, your logic is baffles me.  From what you are saying, if SW:TOR is hit it will be no thanks to the help they received from Mythic.  If SW:TOR is flop, then your line of thought says that it won't be from BioWare's own issues, but because EA tossed Mythic into the mix during production.  Ultima Online, DAOC, and WAR are all good games in their own right.  Comparing DAOC to WAR is foolish.  The reason why WAR is the shell of the game it could have been is because of money.  Mythic had too little of it and EA jumped in to buy a company that needed cash, so they could get their greedy paws on the WAR title.  Nothing more, nothing less.  To say Mythic will poison BioWare is foolish.

Exactly what the person above me stated. You all need to realize that SW:TOR is a BIOWARE game, Mythic is ONLY there to assist. They wont take over, you probably wont even tell in game that they did anything. Whats going on is they are sending some guys to assist, so when bioware tells them to do something, they do it. But they do it BIOWARE's way. geeze its not that hard to understand.