Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your Three wishes for GW2?

TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604

We have plenty of time to speculate about what GW2 will and won't be. IMO they go so much right with the first series. It has elements of gameply for nearly every audience, but of course there is always room for improvement. That leads to my question of the day. If you had the ear of a key ArenaNet decision makers ear what 3 ideas would you pitch to make GW2 the perfect game? You get three wishes so make them count. :) 

1) A real economy. This would involve some sort of crafting system and auction house. I don't want GW2 to become a gear centric game, but let players really make and sale items. If not this find some way for players to earn money. I don't want to spend another two years as a 55 monk killing hydras.

2) Keep max level at 20. This is nothing new, but most definitely at the top of my wish list.  Why, well because after over two years of more traditional MMO's I have had enough of the long level grind. I prefer a great campaign to 20 and then spend the majority of the game enjoying content. Not one time in faction and nightfall did I think man if I could just grind out more levels. Honestly what does being level 80 give you that being level 20 doesn't?

3) Faction based PvP. I don't want to give up the arenas or traditional GvG but actually going to war against the Char would be outstanding.  :) Along those lines I say Anet should also blatently rip off Aion and turn the underworld into a contested zone. PvE/PvP would be an awesome and exciting change.

So there's my wish list, what about you?

Comments

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448

I wish that they keep 3 things from the original Guild Wars:

I wish they keep the skill system. This is one of the best parts of the original GW in my opinion.

I wish that they keep the same style gear system... Where maxed out gear is relatively easy to get and the rest is just for looks.

I wish that they keep the level cap at 20 and make the leveling time take about the same as Nightfall. I hate long level grinds and loved the fact that Guild Wars leveling was short and sweet and the rest of the game was played at max level.

Those are the things I hope they keep the same. Beyond that, I want it to be a big open world.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• benzjiebenzjie Member Posts: 81

I'd Like to see the following things:

No inscription weapons ( it ruined the economy and the fun / thrill of farming )

Unpredicatable elite missions: Not the same monsterspawns at the exact same location. E.G. :  It's a petty the deep can be done in under 15 minutes now.

Don't shoot the messenger.....it will ruin you monitor

• mcgeemcgee Member Posts: 22

1.  Jumping

2.  Swimming

3.  Open world (incl. falling/fall-damage)

Other than those... don't change a thing.

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

• The skill system from GW should be kept or modified only very slightly.
    • The same equal PvP system, no advantages should be given thanks to level or equipment.
    • Balance. Having 3-6 balancers actively playing the game and keeping it balanced would make the game a billion times better.

That's the top three ones, but I got some other ones such as:

• Auction house. I sell almost everything to the merchant because I really hate standing around in Spamadan, even if that means I get 200 gold instead of 30k.
    • Crafting system. Crafting would make the economy more living as well as make the game less NPC based and more player based, which I like. Implemented without an auction house it will however just be annoying and stupid.Fuck factions. I liked GW because the community wasn't split in any way: one server and one faction. In WoW the constant problem was that I either picked another faction or server than my friends causing us to not play together. In GW that would not be a problem. Additionally it creates a kind of hate similar to the one that nationalism create, a feeling of we and them. And that causes the community to only split up even more. Additionally it would be dumb in HA- or TA-similar arenas as you would then - logically - face the opposing faction only, which would make you able to avoid some of the best players. Factions feel like an old and dumb RPG clich

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Open world.  I don't want instances, nor do i want Aion/AoC limit to the number of people in a "zone".  Creating copies of a zone for towns/explorable areas really is a HUGE turn off of guild wars.  Granted, this might mean more "dungeons", so that bosses are not camped all the time.

Armor/crafting.  While I do love the armor in guild wars, I would enjoy crafting it for others, finding drops that could be worn, (Belts, bracers, etc) . Maybe the normal 5 pieces cannot be drops, but can be crafted for anyone by anyone.  I would prefer there to be an end level armor, that has many different designs, just like now.  

A random grouping HA.  Some of the most fun I had playing the games, was before everyone HAD the same build.  It does not feel as skilled fighting a comp that is meant to counter the one you have, or fighting one that has no chance against you.  Way back when, when it was just people playing together with no specific set of skills, it was amazing.  That is fine to have the normal HA, but a randomly grouped one, would be amazing also.

• Dynamo112Dynamo112 Member Posts: 240

1) AN AUCTION HOUSE!! No more trying to type out messages in an already overcrowded trade channel.

2) Ranger Trapping a viable and SOUGHT FOR playstyle in PvP and PvE. (even though this probably won't happen)

3) Keep all the core classes (and their names).

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604

It sounds like all of us want more of the same with the addition of a persistent world. They got so much right in GW I too would hate to seem the break it. godliest you convinced me that faction based PvP would not work in a game like GW so I retract that request.

I also think one of the highest priorities should be to create a player base economy, complete with AH!

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

1. Make it a good, consistent experience.

GW is such an experience. A (mainly) PvP game which has a certain strict limit (only 8 skills max), but a larger variety of such skills to choose from, and the ability to choose from two class pools of skills.

I dont really care WHAT this experience is, as long as it has the nicety of being consistent, and is not some conceptual chaos.

2. If you have races, dont make them too stereotype.

I especially hate it when people create different races "just to be different". A race should have a rich background. Elves and Dwarves already come with such a background. Do your new race have any such ? Or are they just different looking ? I especially hate that such "new" races are typically a wild mix of random elements that dont fit together at all.

What I read about GW2 races so far wasnt promising at all in this respect.

3. Casual and no monthly fee.

Not going to be my main game, so yeah.

- A real economy: Quite honestly, I start hating this element. Too much work, too little returns, and crafters monopolize the market to no further use except they get super ultra rich. I can live without that.

- Max level 20: Already confirmed not to be the case. IMHO level is only a number. And IMHO the main problem of GW is that you very soon hardly feel any more progression any more.

- Faction based PvP: Eww. I deeply hate Race PvP. I want to be able to play any race and I dont want to attack people just for "being of the wrong race".

- Auction House: OK.

- Crafting system: conflicts with casual play.

Originally posted by Adamantine

1. Make it a good, consistent experience.
    GW is such an experience. A (mainly) PvP game which has a certain strict limit (only 8 skills max), but a larger variety of such skills to choose from, and the ability to choose from two class pools of skills.
    I dont really care WHAT this experience is, as long as it has the nicety of being consistent, and is not some conceptual chaos.
    2. If you have races, dont make them too stereotype.
    I especially hate it when people create different races "just to be different". A race should have a rich background. Elves and Dwarves already come with such a background. Do your new race have any such ? Or are they just different looking ? I especially hate that such "new" races are typically a wild mix of random elements that dont fit together at all.
    What I read about GW2 races so far wasnt promising at all in this respect.
    3. Casual and no monthly fee.
    Not going to be my main game, so yeah.

- A real economy: Quite honestly, I start hating this element. Too much work, too little returns, and crafters monopolize the market to no further use except they get super ultra rich. I can live without that.
    - Max level 20: Already confirmed not to be the case. IMHO level is only a number. And IMHO the main problem of GW is that you very soon hardly feel any more progression any more.
    - Faction based PvP: Eww. I deeply hate Race PvP. I want to be able to play any race and I dont want to attack people just for "being of the wrong race".
    - Auction House: OK.
    - Crafting system: conflicts with casual play.

I don't believe that increasing max level will translate into progression. You're right the level is just a number, but to be worthwhile it must apply to something, and this usually means additional attribute points. For GW that is lame, and makes it difficult to develop your toon for PvP. For me the game really began at 20, and progression was measured via skills acquired, and accomplishments in both PvE and PvP.  Level grind is not fun, and not once did I miss it in GW or any of the orther campaigns. 

Yes I want that casual feel from GW but not dumbed down because it will be my main game. 

A players driven econemy adds a signifigent experience to the game. It provides a viable way to make money and removes the gimmick farming techniques.  Crafting will be a part of that, and the sytem can still be casual, but meaningful.

As for races I'm not sure how I feel about this. I personally like the lore of GW mostly because it is original. It gives the developers a chance to be creative, and God forbid do something different. Would I like to create a Char warrior...for sure! How can he be different from his human counterpart and not break the PvP balance, I'm not sure so sure, but ti can be done. WoW got it right with races because the differences are subtle, but usable and it never broke your class decision.

I do not want GW2 to be the game people play when the WoW servers are down. :) 

• mr138mr138 Member Posts: 65

1) Auction Houses.  There is no excuse not to have them nowadays, they could probably implement one in the current GW, and I really ahve no idea why they haven't.

2) Less linear gameplay. I hate, hate, HATE the fact I have to follow a linear story progression to advance. Sometimes I just want to grind, or farm some shit. I don't play mmo's for the story, i play them to group and have fun.

3) Little/no reliance on henchmen or heros. I didn't make a 55 monk, so I have to have a crew of 7 npc's following me around. All they would have to do is scale the amount of mobs accordingly to how many are in your party, since EVERYTHING in this game is instanced, should be easy enough to do.

4) Jumping. Seriously, why can't my guy jump? it's one of the first things I learned in life, right after walking.

5) Make it easier to tell who is what class and level. I had max gear on all my guys before I was level 10

6) Level cap. It's ok to raise it. With a seperate "game" dedicated to pvp anyways, it only brings nerfs anyways to certain classes. It isn't like no one ever reaches cap before they get to hardmode anyways. So what's the point? So I can "enjoy" the shitty story about how Sunspears or whoever have to fight ultimate evil? lol please, stories are for single player games. Everyone skips the cutscenes anyways.

edit: i know that was mroe then 3, but there is so many things wrong with GW it is hard to pinpoint it to just a few.

Originally posted by mr138

1) Auction Houses.  There is no excuse not to have them nowadays, they could probably implement one in the current GW, and I really ahve no idea why they haven't.
    2) Less linear gameplay. I hate, hate, HATE the fact I have to follow a linear story progression to advance. Sometimes I just want to grind, or farm some shit. I don't play mmo's for the story, i play them to group and have fun.
    3) Little/no reliance on henchmen or heros. I didn't make a 55 monk, so I have to have a crew of 7 npc's following me around. All they would have to do is scale the amount of mobs accordingly to how many are in your party, since EVERYTHING in this game is instanced, should be easy enough to do.
    4) Jumping. Seriously, why can't my guy jump? it's one of the first things I learned in life, right after walking.
    5) Make it easier to tell who is what class and level. I had max gear on all my guys before I was level 10
    6) Level cap. It's ok to raise it. With a seperate "game" dedicated to pvp anyways, it only brings nerfs anyways to certain classes. It isn't like no one ever reaches cap before they get to hardmode anyways. So what's the point? So I can "enjoy" the shitty story about how Sunspears or whoever have to fight ultimate evil? lol please, stories are for single player games. Everyone skips the cutscenes anyways.

edit: i know that was mroe then 3, but there is so many things wrong with GW it is hard to pinpoint it to just a few.

I think that a persistent world will allow for greater freedom than GWs' instancing. However I don't think most people want a mindless, dumbed down questing experience. Personally I'd like to see ArenaNet take the Oblivion approach that provides a really good central story line, but doesn't force you to follow it.  Even better have mutliple story lines all over the world.  I personally like story and purpose. Even after 4 years I can tell you why I was doing THK, but after only one year can't tell you what took me to The Dead Mines. :)

IMO GW got more right than wrong. The gameplay concept was tight and focused. To some it was lacking because it dared to be different.

• mr138mr138 Member Posts: 65

Yeah Oblivion nailed it. I could jump right into the main quest if I wanted or just completely ignore it, and still have a great time doing whatever I wanted.

• GennadiosGennadios Member Posts: 209

Level Cap:

I'm a PvE player, I also happen to like the low level cap and the ability to get multiple caracters capable of running high end content in short notice. A higher level cap is meant for the sh**** players who can't or won't get better to remain competitive by emphasizing stats and de-emphasizing skill.

Supposedly the level cap is being removed for GW2, however, the little info that's out there makes it seem like there will either be a power plateu, or levels won't provide any benefit in terms of stats after a certain point (Kind of like GW after lvl20.) Either way, it's something that current GW players don't want and isn't what the Aion/WoW kiddies are asking for, so I'm hard pressed to see a point in it.

Lack of henchman/hero/party member reliance:

Planned in the wilderness/game world areas. Instances/Missions/Dungeons will still require a party.

Linearity:

EotN was a proof of concept for the GW2 storyline. The story will be less linear in that you'll have multiple mini-storylines to complete in any order you wish.

Sources of Money:

Vanquish, HM missions, Dungeons. More fun than farming and just as profitable, the only drawback is that you have to actually know how to play the game instead of abusing system weaknesses like every other 12 year old.

A crafting system is planned for GW2, but no information about it is currently out.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

1. Auction House

2. Craft your own items instead of a npc doing it for you.

3. No more Hard Mode.

• redOrcredOrc Member Posts: 100

1. keep what is working.

2. Individual ranking for each PVP type of game including maching system. This way random novice groups will face each other in HA and pro-hero groups will face each other. The reward system should be changes as well to reflect the quality of the win. Winning against hero10 rank group will get you rewards, you will get by winning tons of hero0 rank groups. This way we will have 100 times as many PVP players. 

3. Better grouping tools, including random grouping according to selection eretiria, and guild/guild player finding tools according to preference, time of play and so on....

• LeucrottaLeucrotta Member Posts: 679

1. No more heroes.

2.Auction House

3.Assassin

I have faith in Anet  that they will deliver a very good game, and im sure they keep all the good from the first guild wars

Originally posted by Leucrotta
    1. No more heroes.
    2.Auction House
    3.Assassin

I have faith in Anet  that they will deliver a very good game, and im sure they keep all the good from the first guild wars

What do you want with the third point? Do you want Assassins in GW2, if so then how? Your point is pretty unclear as it is.

• LeucrottaLeucrotta Member Posts: 679
    Originally posted by Godliest

Originally posted by Leucrotta

1. No more heroes.

2.Auction House

3.Assassin

What do you want with the third point? Do you want Assassins in GW2, if so then how? Your point is pretty unclear as it is.

As it is, i hope from the classes Anet choose to put in GW 2 sin will be one of them

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

1. Same skill system, it's so damn nice. No skills are theorically better than others, they merely have different conditions and usages with their power defined by your attribute distribution. Feels like playing a TCG. I just feel they could give a skill slot scaling according to the area.

2. Improved economy - I personally liked the idea of Material/Scroll/Sigil/etc Traders and they should extend it to more and more equipment. A NPC that buys your stuff for a price, and also sells it on a price, price that oscilates according to demand/offer on this NPC. This is the best system ever, does not allow retarded inflations because of the players setting the price in a higher threshold, and it gives a general price idea for those willing to be more efficient - for example:

Material X = NPC currently sells for 160 each and buys off you for 40 each. Gives a nice window for those willing to sell/buy from players instead.

3. Unlimited level cap. Stop this idiot idea that levels are necessarily a new tier of power, they show the knowledge they may be able reinvent the idea of levels.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

I don't understand the hero hate, I like them but to each their own I guess.

The main thing I want them to keep is the skill system and the dual class as well.

• Dart_5Dart_5 Member Posts: 4

OK I have been thinking about this and here are my thoughts.

New:

Crafting/Harvesting.  Please.

Every zone should not be instanced, but there should be some instances.  Make raids that you can only enter like once a week.

No instancing = world bosses = harder to obtain elite skills.  Maybe make bosses drop a tome that when used teaches an elite skill.  Tome is bind on pickup.  Tomes have a drop rate.  So if killed in a party only one person can get the tome.

No running/Insta teleport to any zone.  This makes obtaining builds more.  I like the level 20 cap and quite frankly make there be one starter area with a good amount of gameplay (~10 hours), but once completed you go to the mainland.  Everything is relatively in the same level range now, but it should be hard to make good builds without exploring or taking down some rare bosses.  Basically progression should be deemed by unlocking rare skills.  Like oh wow that guy has the "Typhoon" elite skill!  Can't be his guild cleared that raid and got the drop!

PvE should have gear! PvP should stay the same though.  Make PvP only gear that must be used.  Keep it tactical.  PvE needs more progression.  Bosses that can only be defeated by a group of players who have been playing for over  a year and have the right setup to win.  Keep pushing the player base with harder and harder bosses.  Most good games do it, but Guild Wars PvE it is too easy to clear everything in PvE.

No heroes.  No henchman.  Make people play together.

Jumping, swimming, mounts.

Summary:  Guild Wars key is skill base of 8 skills and level 20 cap.  Keep that.  Build on the rest.  Don't make PvE so easy.  Keep PvP balanced.  Have gear in PvE so that crafting will be meaningful.

• almerelalmerel Member UncommonPosts: 658

I like what I have heard so far off the GW2 wiki and think it'll make most happy. I'm pretty sure all of my 3 top wishes are already going to be added.

My 3 wish list items are...

1. Auction House (I hate standing around like I'm in a market place).

2. Open world but with personal instances per the norm.

3. Freedom of movement (Jumping, falling off cliffs, etc...)

-Almerel

Hello my old friend.

Originally posted by Dart_5
    Every zone should not be instanced, but there should be some instances. Make raids that you can only enter like once a week.No instancing = world bosses = harder to obtain elite skills. Maybe make bosses drop a tome that when used teaches an elite skill. Tome is bind on pickup. Tomes have a drop rate. So if killed in a party only one person can get the tome.No running/Insta teleport to any zone.  This makes obtaining builds more (more what? Annoying? Tedious? Dumb?). I like the level 20 cap and quite frankly make there be one starter area with a good amount of gameplay (~10 hours), but once completed you go to the mainland.  Everything is relatively in the same level range now, but it should be hard to make good builds without exploring or taking down some rare bosses.  Basically progression should be deemed by unlocking rare skills.  Like oh wow that guy has the "Typhoon" elite skill!  Can't be his guild cleared that raid and got the drop!
    PvE should have gear! PvP should stay the same though.  Make PvP only gear that must be used.  Keep it tactical.  PvE needs more progression.  Bosses that can only be defeated by a group of players who have been playing for over  a year and have the right setup to win.  Keep pushing the player base with harder and harder bosses.  Most good games do it, but Guild Wars PvE it is too easy to clear everything in PvE.
    No heroes.  No henchman.  Make people play together.
    Jumping, swimming, mounts.

Summary:  Guild Wars key is skill base of 8 skills and level 20 cap.  Keep that.  Build on the rest.  Don't make PvE so easy.  Keep PvP balanced.  Have gear in PvE so that crafting will be meaningful.

That's not GW, that's WoW.

Why would you prevent people for accessing the "raids" more often once a week? What is the point of it? If something Anet should encourage people to play the game and not tell people to come back in a week, for no apparent reason either.

Gah. Everything about that world boss just screams WoW. Luck is what will make you a good player, that and lack of life. In GW you get your fucking skills and then you may get an expensive drop, but that only affects your economy and not how good you can perform.

Why would you remove instant teleportation to a zone? It effectively speeds up the game and allows players to much, much, much, much, much quicker organize groups and if they want to go somewhere else it doesn't have to take one hour. Instant teleportation speeds up the game and effectively encourages you to go wherever you want, instead of thinking "oh, but that will take 1 hour and then maybe I'll have to go". Removing instant teleportation would just be bad in every aspect.

No it shouldn't be hard to make good builds. It should actually be extremely easy, once you get out of the starter area you should have possible access to every skill in the game for every primary and secondary. GW was never about spending ages farming mobs, or getting lucky and happening to find a rare boss. Everyone is on the same level in GW for a reason - to encourage you learning the game and becoming good, not wasting your life and getting good gear so you become "good". There's no point in adding a pointless "progression" that serves no actual point and is just there to create a form of carrot on a stick that you'll be running after forever.

No. No. No. No. No. That's to your comment about PvE by the way, PvP should be equal. Now this is probably one of the worst suggestions for GW that I've ever heard. What made GW so fucking good? That it was something new. That it didn't add a fake progression for dumb retards who enjoy running in a wheel of eternity. That you're equal and the determining factor is your own skill and build. It encouraged you to be good, and not to be good because your gear was good. Lack of life should not be a determining factor. The fact is that implementing it the way you want to would make it "harder" and "harder" but not relatively as it would just be along the line of boss getting more health and doing more damage and you getting better gear so you do more damage and have more health. The end result is that there's no actual difference, it's just a fake illusion to prevent the player from seeing that they are accomplishing absolutely nothing whatsoever.

If it's difficulty you want then bosses should feature lots of shit that needs to be compensated with skills and patterns that need to be understood. Making the bosses non-dumb and abusing the players idiocy (running past the dumb tank, killing monks, spiking people, using crowd control, hitting unprotected people etc) would make the bosses actually hard, and not just illusionary hard.

Most good games do it, but Guild Wars PvE it is too easy to clear everything in PvE.

Most good games do it, and that's why GW should not do it. Guild Wars was a success because it was different. It wasn't yet another half-assed semi-clone of WoW, it was actually something new and innovative. Guild Wars attracted another community than the WoW one, and that's why it could succeed. If GW2 would become just another semi-clone of WoW it wouldn't be a success, because it would be nothing new and it would provide no reason why to give up your current game for it.

The problem with that is that you either force people to play together by making GW as it should be - a team game - and then you'll attract an even more narrow crowd or you make it as every other fucking game on the market is and make it solo play. The second option would be sacrificing like 70% of what makes GW so good, and the first option would make GW financially unsuccessful.

What's the problem with Heroes and Henchmen really, they are so much worse than players... usually. I never PuG anymore because 99% of GW's PvE community can't make a half decent build. The problem aren't the Heroes and Henchmen, they are well done and allows for constant teaming - the problem are all dumb PvErs that don't even understand how PvE works. Heroes actually encourage people to play in groups of 2 as running 6 heroes and 2 players is so much superior to 3 heroes and 4 henchmen. And for harder missions you need a human group anyway. You don't encourage teaming - you force it - and you'll just manage to scare away more from PvE while you effectively reduce how accessible it is.

Summary: Guild Wars is Guild Wars and not World of Warcraft. Guild Wars 2 should be Guild Wars 2 and not a semi-clone of World of Warcraft.

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

a little dungeon crawling with a little group can be fun too :)

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

You can "dungeon" crawl in the current game just fine. I enjoy a good dungeon as well and I'm sure they will have them in GW2.

Now I don't think they will make this into a traditional mmo in the WoW mold but if by chance they do I won't be playing it.