Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The List - Top 10 F2P MMO's that should be a book(s)

giantsquidgiantsquid Runes of Magic CorrespondentMember Posts: 118

I think books made from the game world of many Free-to-play MMORPGs worlds are lacking.

Are there any books already out based on games like Shaiya, Atlantica online, Silkroad Online, etc...

What top 10 list (or less) would you like to see?

I'd buy books based off the worlds of:

• Shaiya
  • Runes of Magic
  • Atlantica Online
  • SHO

And possibly others, what about you?

Comments

• PherusaPherusa Member Posts: 38

"Today I killed 50 rats. Yesterday, I killed 50 boars. Tomorrow, I am going to kill 50 hydras...."

Would never read books based on F2P MMOs...

• pirate3335pirate3335 Member Posts: 24

i rarely write but that one made me lol

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238
    Originally posted by Pherusa

"Today I killed 50 rats. Yesterday, I killed 50 boars. Tomorrow, I am going to kill 50 hydras...."
    Would never read books based on F2P MMOs...

"Today I spent $100 and I finnaly upgraded my equipment so I could kill that annoying guy that killed me yesterday. Unfortunately, another one that spend $1000 appeared and I got one-shotted. Tomorrow, I am going to spend $5000."

The lore in this games usually aren't immersive enough as they are mere translations of asian-based culture, so it doesn't really effect us the same way it affects its original markets.

• Hmmm i see where you are coming from...kinda. Not with F2P games though. Generally they lack so much story wise. I would love to see a WoW series of books or FFXI series. They have massive story possibilities. F2P though (and many P2P) don't have the depth required to build an immersive book. Sorry mate but i love books waaay too much to support stuff like this being created

• giantsquidgiantsquid Runes of Magic CorrespondentMember Posts: 118
    Originally posted by GazMc

Hmmm i see where you are coming from...kinda. Not with F2P games though. Generally they lack so much story wise. I would love to see a WoW series of books or FFXI series. They have massive story possibilities. F2P though (and many P2P) don't have the depth required to build an immersive book. Sorry mate but i love books waaay too much to support stuff like this being created

There's a min-series manga based off the video game Ragnarok(translated into English too)-and no it's not the one your likely to see on store shelves right now, by the same name.(it's not really a translation of the game but "adapted" from the MMORPG world) http://www.amazon.com/Ragnarok-1-Myong-jin-Yi/dp/1931514739/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246841745&sr=1-1

There is already a fair amount of World of Warcraft Novels http://www.amazon.com/Cycle-Hatred-World-Warcraft-Bk/dp/0743471369

There's also Everquest Novels http://www.amazon.com/Everquest-Ocean-Tears-Stewart-Wieck/dp/1593150296/ref=pd_sim_b_1

Of course Lord of the Rings Online is based off the books.

Warhammer also has a series of books that were written before it was an MMORPG and just a Tabletop miniature game and even then the World Lore was very detailed and large http://www.amazon.com/Warhammer-Forge-War-Dan-Abnett/dp/1934506362/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246841649&sr=1-1

Off Topic:

Boy it seems to paint kind of a bleak picture.  It seems, based on what's been said so far, that F2P MMO world Lore is non-existent or "no good?" in any F2P.  I'll have to write a blog post or start another thread about this :)

Back On Topic:

I dunno.  I think the games I mentioned have a rich enough World Lore to make at least one good Novel.  I didn't mean for the games books to be based off of the mechanics or how the game is played, just the World Lore.  But it was funny to read some posts about the former:)

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    Originally posted by GazMc

Hmmm i see where you are coming from...kinda. Not with F2P games though. Generally they lack so much story wise. I would love to see a WoW series of books or FFXI series. They have massive story possibilities. F2P though (and many P2P) don't have the depth required to build an immersive book. Sorry mate but i love books waaay too much to support stuff like this being created

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=warcraft&x=0&y=0

Wish granted.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Requiem Online would make a good one

maybe even a movie

Originally posted by Wolfenpride

Requiem Online would make a good one
    maybe even a movie

Good suggestion.  I agree.  Although it'd be horror, and I'm not a horror fan.  But still it could make a good book or series of books.

• ZivaDominiZivaDomini Member Posts: 442

The great thing about the games lore not being very in depth is that it would leave the write a lot of creative room. No one would read any book based off of players in an MMO game world. However translating the world into a real, living, breathing world would be of interest to some.

Star Wars Galaxies books would be terrible based of players. Yet look at how many successful Star Wars books there are.

Originally posted by ZivaDomini

The great thing about the games lore not being very in depth is that it would leave the write a lot of creative room. No one would read any book based off of players in an MMO game world. However translating the world into a real, living, breathing world would be of interest to some.
    Star Wars Galaxies books would be terrible based of players. Yet look at how many successful Star Wars books there are.

At first, after reading comments, I was going to ask, if maybe F2P games-like the unique or different gameplay they offer, could offer more toward fanfiction that novels written by our favorite authors.  But I don't think that's accurate.  Even WoW and Everquest with their huge base of novels and world lore get more fanfiction than anyone else(practically).

So far I've noticed Ragnarok online and Archlord Online http://www.tokyopop.com/product/1792/Archlord/1 are 2 F2P MMORPGs that have been adapted into Mangas.

Maybe the F2P would do better as Mangas(comics)  You could tell stories through less text and more action pictures/drawings?

I think books written by players fall into fanfiction, in my book.  Novels, to me, are published stories either using new characters in the game world or existing NPC's within the world lore, and published by the company.

• ZivaDominiZivaDomini Member Posts: 442

For some reason fanfiction had completely deleted itself from my mind. But yes I could see how that would be entertaining when basing it on players in the game. To me Fanfiction is like a comic book. It's entertaining, but only in short spurts. I couldn't read 100 pages of any comic book straight, only maybe 15 pages at  a time.

I'm going to stick with even F2P games could be turned into novels, but the "game" aspect would not exist. For example the show .hack.sign. You couldn't begin a chapter with "Ziva Domini logs on to begin her quest ect ect." It would simply read "Ziva somehow finds herself in a cave, yet again unprepared for the dangers she sure to greet." Same scenario as if I were playing the game, but the game aspect left out.