Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Whispers (Warhammer 40k)

jjjk29jjjk29 Member Posts: 295

http://www.vigilgames.com/games_40k.php

Most of you might not know what this is.  Alot of WAR players might.

Warhammer 40,000 is WAR in the future, it cam after WAR's original books and tabletop game, and has a great series of books and graphic novels.  Vigil/THQ have had it on Vigil's website for over a year, and it says "We’ll be announcing more about the game in the months to come, so stay tuned".  I hope they dont...

Anyone that knows anything about Warhammer 40k is that its universe is huge.  Some of you might have played the tabletop game, or Firewarrior for PS2, or the Dawn of War games.  Or maybe you have read The 40k codex's, The Gaunts Ghosts series, or Eisenhorn.  Just in those games  and books hundreds of planets and systems are named off and they all hold an important part in the Warhammer 40k universe. 

As well as the mass number of planets that the game would need to support the main story lines there are 12 major factions as well.  But these factions have numbers of sub-factions that make up one of the 12 factions.  So then the game would have to have all of these factions as well as a few of a faction's sub-factions to create the actual universe.  I know MMO's cut things like that out because players would to spread out to much but that is apart of the universe of 40k.

If Vigil does go through with this game, like other 40k games it will end up being the Space Marines ( Impire of Man), and Orks as the two playable factions, and a neutral enemy such as the Necrons or the Tyranids (a more suitable mmo enemy).  Maybe like WAR Chaos might be a playable choice.

All I am trying to get at is that I think it is to soon to make a Warhammer 40,000 MMO game.  To suit the desires of fans the game company would have to reach out to the small but large problems like sub-factions.  Maybe in 10 years a company will come along and be able to do it to it's full potential...

Comments

• VegettaVegetta Member Posts: 438

This game has been in development for quite a while now. Some 40k races don't lend themselves to MMO characters (tyranids and necrons). Plus ther are problems like how do you balance a Space Marine vs an Imperial Guardsman, or an Ork,or an Eldar?

They had an article in PC gamer a while back saying most of the races would be playable/represented. They most certainly will have chaos as a large portion of the game (they are probably the second most popular army in 40k).

Dont assume that it will only be Space marines vs Orks. For Imperium they could have, Space Marines, Inquisitors, Commissars, Etc. If you are familiar with the Dark Herasy PnP rpg or with the table top games Inquisitor or Necromunda you will see some game mechanics that would translate well to a MMO.

The number of planets really wouldn't be an issue. Star Wars handles this well(ish). They could have 1 planet that everyone fights over or have each race have its own homewolrd that would need to be defended as well as enemy worlds to attack...

It shouldnt be much longer before details start coming. IIRC the game is slated for a 2012 release (at least according to this http://www.massively.com/2009/04/03/warhammer-40k-mmo-gets-a-release-date/)

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

If it does come out, lets all pray it doesn't turn out like WAR online did.

• retrospecticretrospectic Member UncommonPosts: 1,466
    Originally posted by Wolfenpride

Haha, ouch.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Having worked GW retail and in the hobby for many years, and in light of how WAR turned out, I can assuredly say that I don't hope this comes out anytime soon. The mentality and methodology for makling MMOs right now isn't where it should be to do justice to the 40K setting.

On another note, just bought the Blood Bowl game made by Cyanide and it's very, very close to the board game rules. Certainly worth the money if you were a fan of the GW game.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• arcdevilarcdevil Member Posts: 864

Its THQ,not Mythic. 

in other words,its a competent developer, not a farce

• jjjk29jjjk29 Member Posts: 295

I know Chaos will be a playable faction, and Necrons and Tyranids would be a good faction to fit into a possible mmo story.  But not a playable faction.

And balancing would be hard but they would just dumb down a Space Marine to where on one vs. one PvP an Imp. Guard character would take him down.  But in the 40k universe that would never happen.  Which would then make it inaccurate to the universe.  Another reason why they shouldnt make this game yet.

I am a fan on 40k and since Vigil is making it if it does come out then I would hope it will be nothing like WAR...  But its to early to make a game of this scale.

• RoutverRoutver Member Posts: 383

"Warhammer 40,000 is one of the most eagerly anticipated MMOs on the horizon"  from the website you mentioned.

Where did they get that from? WH40k is sure a great IP, but everything else is assumption material.

Originally posted by Routver

"Warhammer 40,000 is one of the most eagerly anticipated MMOs on the horizon"  from the website you mentioned.
    Where did they get that from? WH40k is sure a great IP, but everything else is assumption material.

Yea true.  But if and when they start promoting it, it will be huge.

• naraku209naraku209 Member Posts: 226

I'm quite certain they are putting a lot of thought into this game, which is why they havn't started promoteing it yet.

with in a year or so, or maybe even by the end of this year they will start releasing more information about it

• mOoKmOoK Member Posts: 26

The scale for this IP needs to be reconsidered.  The typical, single avatar MMO doesn't fit.

Take a step back, start the  player a s a squad leader, then move up in ranks, commanding more and more units.

Advancement is provided with more points to spend on your army, per the rules set out in the tabletop game.

You can fight NPC or PvP armies.

Guilds can pool resources, assign tasks and create even larger armies.

AT IT'S HEART: Warhammer is an "instanced" game.   An MMO version should be too.

• naraku209naraku209 Member Posts: 226
    Originally posted by mOoK

The scale for this IP needs to be reconsidered.  The typical, single avatar MMO doesn't fit.
    Take a step back, start the  player a s a squad leader, then move up in ranks, commanding more and more units.
    Advancement is provided with more points to spend on your army, per the rules set out in the tabletop game.
    You can fight NPC or PvP armies.
    Guilds can pool resources, assign tasks and create even larger armies.
    AT IT'S HEART: Warhammer is an "instanced" game.   An MMO version should be too.

This is why they probably havn't released much about it yet. i can just wonder what they are planing.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by arcdevil

Its THQ,not Mythic. 

I wouldn't go that far. Look at DOW II. That changed it up for change sake when they already had a winning forumla with DOW. They should have added new missions, new maps and more of the armies. They didn't. Sure, some people like it, but some people like licorice and Jagermeister too. My point is DoW did well to bring the 40K world to "life" as far as representation. DoW II was a marked step away from the gist of 40K (full squads, armies, battling it out). If Vigil/Relic decides to take the DoW mentality/method they might have a winner as that's what made the IP popular in the first place. If they decide to get cutesy and create their own "vision"...well, I wouldn't hold my breath.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• ZyllosZyllos Member UncommonPosts: 537

Sorry, but if WH40k MMO comes out, all races must be playable in some way. They do not need to be there in the beginning, but through expansions or whatnot. If you can play them on the tabletop, then you can play them as characters. Also, a WH40k MMO would have to be solid PvP with very little if any at all of PvE.

The PvE would be basically the missions to take back control of a location or planet or whatever which NPCs intermingled with players playing their characters which leads to PvP.

MMOs Played: I can no longer list them all in the 500 character limit.

Im aware that in the 40k universe the style is build on squad based actions.  But if you where to have a character and then having a squad following that character around would take away from your character soloing.  Because technically every charact has 3+ pets then.  Which is weak. 

The way the gameplay would be set up is, when preparing to go in an instance you need lets say 4 other players besides yourself.  You don't have to have a grp of all Space Marines or Chaos Marines, it could be a mix of sub-factions like 2 Imp Gaurdsmen and 3 Space Marines.  This is where the "squad" comes into play.  (I know that in the tabletop you cant do this but for the sake of it being an MMO you can)  These instances could be NPC battlegrounds where the "squad" has to kill the bosses to go farther in the instances, using the tactics that players use on the tabletop game with their squads.

Other than instancing and PvPing a player can solo like other MMO's, but when it comes to instancing and PvPing is where the squad aspect could be adapted.

Originally posted by Zyllos

Sorry, but if WH40k MMO comes out, all races must be playable in some way. They do not need to be there in the beginning, but through expansions or whatnot. If you can play them on the tabletop, then you can play them as characters. Also, a WH40k MMO would have to be solid PvP with very little if any at all of PvE.
    The PvE would be basically the missions to take back control of a location or planet or whatever which NPCs intermingled with players playing their characters which leads to PvP.

Its doesnt have to be solid PvP..   Lets say your playing as IMP Guard then your lvling quests will be to fight off some NPC's, take out com's, support IMP NPC's in battle.

• SengiSengi Member CommonPosts: 350

Being a big fan of 40k, this is a game Im really looking forward to.

There are rumours that Games Workshop will be presenting something big that nobody was expecting at Games Day Germany, that is on August 16. I strongly believe that is going to be that 40k MMO. So I think the game is going to be reviled anytime near that date.

I hope very much that GW has learned from what happened with WAR, and that they are taking care that it is done better this time. And I also hope that they are going to present us something more innovative that another buggy WOW clone. No space marines with exclamation marks please!

As to the balancing issue, I would make an imperial guard officer a pet-class that has several guardsmen-sidekicks walking along with him. That’s the way I would do it.

The good thing about the 40k universe is that it is so big that one can always create vast epic scenarios that don’t interfere with other storylines. So the games background must not have anything to do with any of the 40k novels. I also think that it wouldn’t be a big issue if not all the races would be in game at start. The others could be introduced later. So I assume there will be the Imperium (as one fraction), orks, chaos, and probably one other playable fraction. I would bet on Tau because they have a mangaesqe style that would appeal to many players.

• adrianemeryadrianemery Member Posts: 250

Can we have space hulks please?

Hopefully they make it a skill base game not a level based game, that way races such as the eldat could be there but they would need a ton more XP to get the next skill advance than an Imperial marine.

I hope GW not only announce this on Aug 16 but also have a stocks where they put in the managers of Mythic for people to throw rotten veg at.

• ladyattisladyattis Member Posts: 1,273

Originally posted by arcdevil
    Originally posted by Wolfenpride If it does come out, lets all pray it doesn't turn out like WAR online did.

Its THQ,not Mythic. 

THQ gave us the Matrix Online, which is closing or has closed. So, I don't think you can say they're competent. I would say their last good game was Septerra Core. But that's just me.

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

Vigil is the one who actually has the license, but yes they are under THQ. no diff than Games being made by said company and that company being owned by say EA.

Originally posted by zaylin
    Vigil is the one who actually has the license, but yes they are under THQ. no diff than Games being made by said company and that company being owned by say EA.

What's Vigil's track record prior to THQ's ownership?

• M1sf1tM1sf1t Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

It'd be great if they went for creating a skill based game with a universe where players would battle for control over areas vs a game on rails based around the acts of leveling and attaining loot upgrades as the sole important reason to play the game. As much as I love WAR40K I won't hold my breath on this game because more then likely it'll be repeating the same old level grind wow-ish game style.

Games I've played/tried out:WAR, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, AoC, EQ1, EQ2, WoW, Vangaurd, FFXI, D&DO, Lineage 2, Saga Of Ryzom, EvE Online, DAoC, Guild Wars,Star Wars Galaxies, Hell Gate London, Auto Assault, Grando Espada ( AKA SoTNW ), Archlord, CoV/H, Star Trek Online, APB, Champions Online, FFXIV, Rift Online, GW2.

Game(s) I Am Currently Playing:

GW2 (+LoL and BF3)

• SilverwatchSilverwatch Member Posts: 232

The only way i can see this working succesfully is possibly in a MMOFPS style gameplay such as Planetside, pressing 1-9 with abilities just would not cut it especially when you are using a chainblade and boltpistol for example, an assault marine has both of these plus a jetpack, it naturally should be MMOFPS as it would work wonders, say if you were an average Eldar Guardian against a assault marine, he has to tear it to pieces, f/e the marine will be hurt but 1on1 its no chance, if they introduced a skill system similar to planetside with say Imperial Guardsmen and Space Marines on 1 army and say it costs 18 points for space marine armour, that would mean there wouldnt be that many of them because they need Guardsmen to drive and pilot and generally be alot more useful with alot more skills. it would be such a waste if they gave this game away to the MMORPG setting.

[Edit] Spelling

Currently playing : Darkfall
    Character name : Aeola Anara
    Played: Almost every P2P MMO you can get your hands on, notably:
    Daoc, SWG, LOTRO, WAR, AoC + Dozens more

Originally posted by ladyattis

Originally posted by zaylin

What's Vigil's track record prior to THQ's ownership?

Vigil has only made one game and it is about to come out.  Darksiders.  Its about post apocalyptic Earth, with something like all these gods are fighting for control of Earth or something.

• RedmowRedmow Member Posts: 196

I agree with some here about the current mindset of developers, I hope they don't ruin it.

I think it probably would have been better as a single setting in the 40k universe...kinda like a gang war in the warrens of a hive city. The hive cities are gigantic, making vast landscapes possible. Instead of guilds....hivegangs.

Just a thought.

Thing for me is that companies still think in Keynesian (quasi-Cartesian) terms of the nature of the firm and free enterprise. As such, they continue to assume a programmer is a programmer is a programmer (or that a game is a game is a game). They think in terms of homogeneity, rather than in terms of how things are actually heterogeneous (in comparison to similar sort and dissimilar sort). When they stop thinking that the firm is a machine, and more of a living thing, then there might be real business men ready to lead their respective firms to better game development. Until then, it's more of the same epic failure from the business and economic schools. >_>