Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sony decides to open the new 50/51 server for fan fair attendees first

qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170

Interesting news for folks that may have wanted to get a fresh start with everyone else. Do you guys feel this was a bad move for Sony to do this or do you feel it will not affect the already doomed server? I feel personally it will not have any affect as the server choice is a bad idea anyhow. I have noticed that some folks have decided to not create new accounts and play on this server because of this. I would not anyhow with the way Everquest is today but that is a different story.

Would you change your mind to sign up to a MMO because the new server you wanted to start on was opened early to a select group of people? Source: http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/posts/list.m?topic_id=152605

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

might annoy me if the server was starting from scratch

giving the FanFaire players a 3 day headstart on a Server where you start at level 51 ? 

doesnt bother me

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

That's the irony of it, people talking fairness when the server dumps you into the game at lvl 51 with 50AA's.  So it's not like they are letting people start at lvl 1, it isn't a progression server where competing for kills would open up expansions.  It's just a fresh new server, that's all.

People will find everything they can to complain, you can't avoid it.  I can see why some are upset, but again, the irony of it makes this an issue you should just shrug it off and laugh about it.  It's gonna open up for the world to play within the next few days, I think people can manage.  It sure beats some guesses from folks not long ago saying they wouldn't have 51/50 server ready until August or later.

In all honestly I thnk they should not have done that just so they could save themselves some flack.  But is it really harmful to the server or the gamers?  Heck no.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170

Doesn't the server having "first" achievements might qualify as this being unfair? A lot of people may have been wanting to compete for those. 

Right, server firsts, not as if all these mobs were not killed "first" on all the servers many years ago.  It's artificial.  I think some people are simply worrying a tad too much  The whole "competition" argument is moot when you are given a lvl 51 character, full suit of defiant armor, and 50 AA's right as you login.  There *is nothing* to compete, all those dragons killed at fan faire would be killed within 30 minutes on Tuesday's launch.  Again, this isn't a progression server where you start at lvl 1 and actually, truly compete.

The only reward you get for server first is a title.  According to someone who was there, there are 33 or so titles available, and only a handful or less done by folks at the Fan Faire.  So you still got 27 or more titles/server firsts to compete for.  Is that not enough chances to compete for epeen size? 

The server is down already, so those folks really only got to play for a day, and not really a full day because nobody played it 24 hours.  Someone said there were only about 20 people that raided, and highest gotten was lvl 54/55 (which we know 51-55 can be cranked out in a night with ease).  It's not the end of the world folks, it's still gonna be jam packed, action filled server when it launches on Tuesday.

Be there or be square

• neschrianeschria Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

So the only reward for firsts is a title? Ok, that's one thing I won't worry about. 

Looking forward to getting started with a little necro this week, then. 

Edit: To answer the OP's question, I watched the community address on Youtube yesterday and was a little dismayed to hear the combined news of some unspecified reward for first kills and the Fan Faire opening. But it's not enough to keep me away. I am looking at this as a more-or-less long-term thing, *if* I get into a good guild right off. (If not, I'll probably just move on to a different game. AGAIN.) 

This is where I draw the line: __________________.

Also found this info from someone at the fan faire:

==

At the 51/50 demo, they did indicate that there will be titles for killing the previously killed mobs come Tuesday's opening. So while (as of the time of the demo panel) 3 of the 33 titles had been taken, different titles would be available for first kills as a full launch.

For the record, I tend to agree with it should have been a full launch on Tuesday rather than started early, but for those concerned with 'title' portion, that will still be available. In terms of leveling, I believe there were a couple 57's also as of the demo, though I could be wrong on that.

==

There you go, titles taken will still be available for those that get server first kills on Tuesday.  So that solves it, no more complaints, it's all taken care of.  If it's titles you want, it's titles you'll get.

Edit:  Here's another blog that says the same thing

www.completeheal.com/

==

After playing on the new 51/50 server preview last night, I got motivated to attend a few EQ panels today. The first panel was related to the new Mayong server which will be released to the public this coming Tuesday morning - June 30th. With the 51/50 server, you can start any new character at level 51 with 50 alternative advancement points. You start with zero cash and a few bags but get a full set of flawed defiant gear, max skills for your level, all of your spells and the opportunity to earn one of 33 server first titles on your way to 85. The next title up for grabs, that wasn’t taken already during the FanFaire preview, is for Trakanon. The dev team also mentioned that they will offer secondary titles starting on Tuesday for the bosses dropped during Fanfaire. Server transfers on and off the new server won’t be allowed for at least the next few months.

Also on Tuesday they are e-mailing over 1 million former players who never got a character above level 50 - offering them a chance to come back and start on the new server. These former players will get somewhere between 14 and 30 days free game time to experience the world of Norrath once again. I asked them why it took so long to release this server and they said they were holding it out for a FanFaire release. The biggest obstacle to the server going live was making sure the gear sets and spells were all taken care of. On a personal note, I’m going to be playing when the server goes live on Tuesday. I hope many of you give it a shot as well, especially if you haven’t played EQ in a while. You can try out all the character classes and find something you like. There will be a large number of people leveling up so groups should be easy to find. The best part is you don’t start 10 years behind the curve.

==

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Not a very bright idea. People want to start as fresh as possible, in a way opening the server to a select few probably tarnished this for some.

• BuzWeaverBuzWeaver Member UncommonPosts: 978

Based on the YouTube Fan Faire (audience) there didn't seem to be a lot of 'excitement' about the 51/50 server.

The Old Timers Guild
    Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!

www.oldtimersguild.com
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it. - Jef Mallett

• spades07spades07 Member UncommonPosts: 852

people chose it though, I reckon it will be fairly popular. The lure of a new straight up 51 character is quite enticing. I do remember the /betabuff or something and everyone got level 65 characters I think- that was quite fun for a bit- though you did get a good set of equipment too.

It'll be popular because they'll be offering free trial returns for those with an old expired account.  That along with a fresh server, fresh economy, and over 33 server first titles to be given.  Some people just like the new server rush.  It's a good server for people that quit back in 2004 to come back to the game and give it another shot.  To many of them, it'll be like playing a new game on a new server because of the amount of changes, expansions, and features added in the past 5-7 years.

Myself, I'm having a good time on the regular server already so I won't be switching.  But I don't know, it might be fun to hop in a crowded zone just to watch people yell "train to zone!" 

• BuzWeaverBuzWeaver Member UncommonPosts: 978

I would welcome another Living Legacy as they had last year. There seemed to be a good number of people that returned to the game, though not many stayed to re-sub. Each summer I look forward to another round of free play, so far I've not seen anything offered.

The Old Timers Guild
    Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!

www.oldtimersguild.com
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it. - Jef Mallett

There we go folks, 11am pst.

eqplayers.station.sony.com/

We are pleased to announce that the Mayong (51/50) Server will be opening up at 11:00 am (PDT) Tuesday, June 30, 2009.

The rules of this server are the same as a standard server but the server does have the following differences:

* All new characters will:

o Start at level 51

o Start with 50 unspent AA points

o Start with a complete set of Flawed Defiant armor and weapons (Recommended level 50)

o Start with all spells and abilities through level 51

o Have all available skills at their maximum level (Spell specializations excepted)

o Tradeskills will not be set to a higher value initially

* Special Titles: There are a series of server first titles for the first defeat of various encounters.

The Mayong (51/50) Server is named after Mayong Mistmoore, one of Norrath’s most renowned vampires! Check back tomorrow as we share lore surrounding this historical figure.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by BuzWeaver

I would welcome another Living Legacy as they had last year. There seemed to be a good number of people that returned to the game, though not many stayed to re-sub.
    Each summer I look forward to another round of free play, so far I've not seen anything offered.

same for me

no free play time has been offered on my old EQ acct

• spades07spades07 Member UncommonPosts: 852

Ah so do you start with armor/weapons, that's useful. Where is the first hotzone post level 51?