Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not Playing MMOG Until ...

I will happily buy and pay a subscription for an MMOG that (1) allows me to set my character to advance while I'm offline (like the Alganon study system), and (2) all rewards are available (eventually, in some way) to the solo style of play.
Until then, I refuse to be pay to be a 2nd class or 3rd rate character.  I have too much to do in life to dedicate time to play, or to arrange my schedule around a group or guild, or to log on and warder around trying to find a decent group. I don't have time to raid, and I can't pay that kind of attention to the game.
I'm not asking all games to cater to me and those like me, I'm just saying there is a market for an MMOG for people like me.

WHOA!!! UPDATE!!!  I just read this at the Alganon site, from a dev chat:
"Another interesting aspect of studies is that they can open alternate means of advancement. If you hate large group raiding, but want the same rewards, studies can open up the opportunity to get those rewards. We don't want players to be forced to do something they hate so they can get what they need to do what they love."

Offline advancement, and EQUAL REWARDS!!!  Whoop, there it is.

Comments

• NicksdNicksd Member Posts: 403

While I sort of have the same feeling as you, there will never be a solo mmo made. Thats what console games are for. There maybe a a market for them, but very very small. It would hardly be worth the time or cost for the company to develop them. Also that takes away the whole "MMO" concept.

• GreenChaosGreenChaos Member Posts: 2,268

Play a first person shooter - everyone is equal. 

• TwistedFireTwistedFire Member Posts: 89

So you want the game to play itself for you?

• MeleagarMeleagar Member Posts: 407
    Originally posted by TwistedFire

While I"m not there, why shouldn't it? Why should I pay the same subscription rate as powergamers and raiders, and only be capable of having a 2nd rate character with 3rd class rewards because of time restrictions?

Hey, in any event, that's what Alganon is doing, so I've found my game. You can have yours.

• pyrofreakpyrofreak Member UncommonPosts: 1,481

Go play EVE.

Now with 57.3% more flames!

• BastioniBastioni Member Posts: 120
    Originally posted by pyrofreak

Go play EVE.

EVE, the only game you win by being offline and not getting killed.

EVE, it's so good you don't even have to play.

(I could do this all day)

• NicksdNicksd Member Posts: 403
    Originally posted by Meleagar

While I"m not there, why shouldn't it? Why should I pay the same subscription rate as powergamers and raiders, and only be capable of having a 2nd rate character with 3rd class rewards because of time restrictions?

Hey, in any event, that's what Alganon is doing, so I've found my game. You can have yours.

I would just like to point out, just because you can "train" while offline does not mean you will have a 1st rate character. Learning how to actually play your character is a big factor.

I know not everyone has all the time in the world to commit to a game, and I'm glad to see that another company is trying to help them. I just don't see the point in spending $15 or whatever it is a month on something I would have limited time playing.

• TdogSkalTdogSkal Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Play a single player RPG... That is exactly what you are asking for.

Sooner or Later

• Dynamo112Dynamo112 Member Posts: 240
    Originally posted by Bastioni

Go play EVE.

Ahahahaha, that made me laugh. 

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803

why should you pay for something you are barely going to use? it is illogical.

its like buying a car so someone else can drive it around (hell you are not even in that car)

Originally posted by Nicksd

I would just like to point out, just because you can "train" while offline does not mean you will have a 1st rate character. Learning how to actually play your character is a big factor.
    I know not everyone has all the time in the world to commit to a game, and I'm glad to see that another company is trying to help them. I just don't see the point in spending $15 or whatever it is a month on something I would have limited time playing.

Everyone has limited time playing. Some guilds have different players running one character 24/7.  Other people have 40-60 hrs a week to commit to their online characters; some have much less.   Why shouldn't a game company offer an online environment where casual players can compete with more hardcore players, and can develop their characters at the same rate as anyone else paying a subscription rate?

I enjoy being part of a community for the short durations I'm able to play. What I don't like is that in order to be a part of that online gaming community, up until now I had to settle for having at best a 2nd rate character with 3rd rate stuff, because I just don't have that much time to commit to the game. Now, I can have an equal opportunity, regardless of how much time I have to play.

Nothing wrong with a game offering the market that kind of deal. I suspect it will be very attractive to a lot of casual players.

Originally posted by Squal'Zell

why should you pay for something you are barely going to use? it is illogical.

its like buying a car so someone else can drive it around (hell you are not even in that car)

You're mistaken; I am using it, because I set my character to develop while I'm away. It's like asking me why buy stock, if I'm not going to sit at my computer and watch the DOW all day long? 

Also, I own lots of things I rarely ever use; in fact, I do own a car I drive once a week or so.  What difference does it make to you how I spend my money?  How often do you think Jay Leno drives any of his cars?  I have a video collection of movies; care to guess how often I watch any of them?

Originally posted by TdogSkal

No, it's not.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Play EVE, you can train your skills off line and if you can afford it, sell Game Time Cards for ISK so you never have to do any pesky farming. 

These two features are a strong draw for many people who play EVE on a casual basis.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811

I will never play a game like you mention.

Originally posted by Kyleran

Play EVE, you can train your skills off line and if you can afford it, sell Game Time Cards for ISK so you never have to do any pesky farming. 
    These two features are a strong draw for many people who play EVE on a casual basis.

There is nothing casual about learning how to play eve. I've tried it.  I learned how to use Adobe Illustrator faster than figuring how how to play that thing. Plus, I prefer fantasy style games.

• BastioniBastioni Member Posts: 120
    There is nothing casual about learning how to play eve.
    I learned how to use Adobe Illustrator faster than figuring how how to play that thing.

lol

• TdogSkalTdogSkal Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

No, it's not.

Yes it is.

Lets see. 

Limited play time - check

Want all rewards - check

train up at your pace - check 

Solo all the time - check

Other then the off line training - you want to play a single player RPG.   It lets you do everything the OP is asking for.

Why play an MMO and pay for it when you can get what you are asking for in a single player RPG game.   Face it, your not an MMO player.  You want something that is not part of the MMO genre design.   MMO does not equal solo play.

Sooner or Later

No, it's not.

Yes it is.

Lets see. 

Limited play time - check

Want all rewards - check

train up at your pace - check 

Solo all the time - check

Other then the off line training - you want to play a single player RPG.   It lets you do everything the OP is asking for.

Why play an MMO and pay for it when you can get what you are asking for in a single player RPG game.   Face it, your not an MMO player.  You want something that is not part of the MMO genre design.   MMO does not equal solo play.

There are no other live players around when I play a single-player mmo.

There is no constantly updated and changing, evolving content.

When you're trying to convince someone they want something they don't want, you've already lost the argument.

• CoffeeGruntCoffeeGrunt Member Posts: 192

Go play EVE.

nominated for royal BS

EvE though its not my choice , still delivers the best sandbox and  community /developer  relationship  of all the known comparable titles .  YOU Sir never played EvE for longer than  10 hours and /or got overwhelmed  by its machanics , and realized  its not your cup of tea but instead of saying that, you simply discredit it .

I realized that EvE isnt  my cup of tea after 3 month , endless lowsec battles ship losses ect ..but i never had a bad word for this company  after i left

• maacaaviityymaacaaviityy Member UncommonPosts: 127

This is one of the dumbest posts I've seen.

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221

No, it's not.

Your right its not. You still have to play a single player game so thats no good either. How about a FTP game and pay someone half of what a sub would cost you to level your toon for you?

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000

I will happily buy and pay a subscription for an MMOG that (1) allows me to set my character to advance while I'm offline (like the Alganon study system), and (2) all rewards are available (eventually, in some way) to the solo style of play.

Until then, I refuse to be pay to be a 2nd class or 3rd rate character.  I have too much to do in life to dedicate time to play, or to arrange my schedule around a group or guild, or to log on and warder around trying to find a decent group. I don't have time to raid, and I can't pay that kind of attention to the game.

I'm not asking all games to cater to me and those like me, I'm just saying there is a market for an MMOG for people like me.

WHOA!!! UPDATE!!!  I just read this at the Alganon site, from a dev chat:

"Another interesting aspect of studies is that they can open alternate means of advancement. If you hate large group raiding, but want the same rewards, studies can open up the opportunity to get those rewards. We don't want players to be forced to do something they hate so they can get what they need to do what they love."

Offline advancement, and EQUAL REWARDS!!!  Whoop, there it is.

I would go with being able to advance in the game without raiding. I am against getting anything while offline. I would be happy with the chance to get the gear that drops in raid dungeons or even something  close that would require months for me to get done. I don't mind working for it but I have hated raiding ever since EQ.

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Go play EVE.

hah

• TeimanTeiman Member Posts: 1,319

you ask for progressquest, methinks. or a soloplayer  ( aka Singleplayer)