Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: MMORPG.com E3 2009 Awards

DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

For this year’s E3, we wanted to do something a little bit different with our awards. Rather than try to hand them out in a vast array of arbitrary categories, we’ve decided to simplify things. This year we have selected one title as MMORPG.com Game of the Show, and then handed out Editor’s Choice Awards to several noteworthy titles.

Obviously, E3 demos often don’t show enough to say whether these games are truly as good as they might appear. What’s more, we see games at all stages of development. Some titles we saw are barely playable at this stage, while others are on the verge of commercial launch.

So click on to check out our three selections for Editor's Choice and overall Game of the Show. You might be surprised by our selections!

Read the full article here.

Dana Massey
Formerly of MMORPG.com
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Comments

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335

/sigh

While they all look like really interesting games, none of them are done in a style I'm overly fond of.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    Originally posted by Nightbringe1

/sigh
    While they all look like really interesting games, none of them are done in a style I'm overly fond of.

Heh, I have a similar feeling.

If they were all single player games, I'd buy them in a heartbeat.

As it is, I know I'll *have* to try Bioware's SW:TOR, and maybe APB (if the PvP is balanced in numbers, I enjoy it, but gank and spank style PvP is too juvenile to interest me). DC Universe? Meh, I was never a comic book fan (though I enjoyed CoH for a while).

Global Agency sounds too much like Fury with blasters however. As a single/multiplayer game, it might be worth 40 bucks, but as an MMO where I have to pay monthly? Not so sure...

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Was there not an article you guys did like a month ago about games of the year and where they are.

Didn't you state in that article that you guys never pick games that are successful?

I wonder if this is a sign of what will become of these games....

Of course I could be mistaken.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by Laughing-man

Was there not an article you guys did like a month ago about games of the year and where they are.
    Didn't you state in that article that you guys never pick games that are successful?

Well...lol...I guess it's a good thing that I have no interest in playing any of the titles they chose, I suppose.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• Talon27Talon27 Member Posts: 24

'gratz to GLOBAL AGENDA !

I've been waiting forever to get my FPS fix AND my MMO fix in one tasty package.  Looks like GA may deliver.

now can I get into beta?

• Seven77Seven77 Member Posts: 38

Wheres MO?

• Recon415Recon415 Member Posts: 55
    Originally posted by Talon27

'gratz to GLOBAL AGENDA !
    I've been waiting forever to get my FPS fix AND my MMO fix in one tasty package.  Looks like GA may deliver.
    now can I get into beta?

Hehe. If you want to enter for a chance to win a beta key, Mission Control is giving away 10 more incase you missed the last contest they had.

http://forum.globalagendagame.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=5333

You may find the contest details at that link. Good luck :D

Also, it has been rumoured that beta will start on or around July 10th (ONLY 2 WEEKS :O )

I have computers; they are fast.

• purewitzpurewitz Member UncommonPosts: 489

I like all of them and all look promising, but I think Star Wars: The Old Republic stole the show. When it comes out Star Wars: The Old Republic will be the beat, but first it will be the one to copy. It is the new and only hope for the survival of the MMO industry.

When we get back from where we are going, we will return to where we were. I know people there!

• DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Seven77

Wheres MO?

If you mean Mortal Online - was the only one I could guess from that rather common acronym - we didn't see it at E3, so it wasn't considered.

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by Laughing-man

Heheh, this is so true. So on that note, since they didn't mention the game I would pick as the best MMORPG of E3, that means Great things for FFXIV. While I am slightly interested in STOR, I could care less about the others. Personally I think Champions ONline looks better than DC universe, but that may be due to all the video and information out there on Champs Online.

Still, I only want FFXIV to come out. Well that and Star Trek Online. I'd be happy with just those 2 for a few years! Fantasy fix and my sci fi fix. Heheh.

• badgererbadgerer Member Posts: 90

I liked your criteria for the picks: What was fun to play? We refugee gamers invest about 90% more emotional stock in upcoming games than any we are presently playing, so nice use of them critical faculties in the here and now.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Seven77

Wheres MO?

In its niche, where its Dev's put it... <grin>  GA does look like fun, but we will have to see how it works out. One of the fun parts of Tribes was the jet pack battles, so its too bad they've cut that out.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • EmberzEmberz Member Posts: 4

I cant help but feel that Global Agenda paid to take the number 1 spot. I wonder if MMORPG.com sold out on this one.

Sorry if I am going against the grain on this one. But I'm just calling it how I see it.

• FastTxFastTx Member UncommonPosts: 756

I just can't see how Global Agenda will be any good. No one is even talking about it, the wierd thing is besides SW:TOR there are no games on that list that are in the buzz right now. I guess E3 isn't what it used to be in creating buzz and marketing games. The games that seem they will be successful in the near future, MO, Aion, SW:TOR and the new Blizzard MMO aren't showcased. Obviously Blizzard's MMO won't be showcased since they've boycotted E3 in order to bolster their own Blizzcon.

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162

FFXIV isn't on the list......It will be as big or bigger than SWtoR.

imo this list is epic fail, and not for only the above reason.

You need to take the developer's reputation and history of delivering on their games. Bioware and Square Enix are 2 of the greatest developers of all time in my book. with deep pockets and incredible talent backing them up.

SWtoR and FFXIV sould head this list, IDC which one is first, but thoes 2 WILL be blockbusters.

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190

Originally posted by grndzro
    FFXIV isn't on the list......It will be as big or bigger than SWtoR.
    imo this list is epic fail, and not for only the above reason.
    You need to take the developer's reputation and history of delivering on their games. Bioware and Square Enix are 2 of the greatest developers of all time in my book. with deep pockets and incredible talent backing them up.
    SWtoR and FFXIV sould head this list, IDC which one is first, but thoes 2 WILL be blockbusters.

We know almost next to nothing about FF14. It would be stupid awarding it anything at this point.

The list is fine, you're otaku nerdrage is what brings the fail. Don't go bashing MMORPG.com just because they're not pimping your proffered game.

As for taking in the history of the developer...no...just look at DAoC -> WAR. Or DDO -> Lotro. Judge a game based off it's merits, not the past history of it's developer.

Originally posted by FastTx

I just can't see how Global Agenda will be any good. No one is even talking about it, the wierd thing is besides SW:TOR there are no games on that list that are in the buzz right now. I guess E3 isn't what it used to be in creating buzz and marketing games. The games that seem they will be successful in the near future, MO, Aion, SW:TOR and the new Blizzard MMO aren't showcased. Obviously Blizzard's MMO won't be showcased since they've boycotted E3 in order to bolster their own Blizzcon.

The thing about Global Agenda is it is being developed and published by an unknown team. Obviously this being Hirez's first game, they don't have the multi-million backing like most of the MMOs.

Just because it is not talked about, does not mean it is not good. Did you not read the reviews on it? Or even this one for that matter? I've read virtually every reputable article on the interwebs about this game, and tbh, none of them were negative. An alpha tester I know stated he quit WoW to play the alpha. Yes - you read that right - he quit a game in a different genre to play this. Does that not speak for itself?

Your logic of "this game won't be popular because it isn't from a major company" is flawed.

I cant help but feel that Global Agenda paid to take the number 1 spot. I wonder if MMORPG.com sold out on this one.
    Sorry if I am going against the grain on this one. But I'm just calling it how I see it.

And fill me in on why you feel that way. Hirez is a small company. They would not even have enough money to make a bribe like that. Their entire backing is by the Exec producer, who, to my knowledge, is funding the entire developement.

• AiianeAiiane Member Posts: 17
    Originally posted by Emberz

Why, because you don't think anyone except a giant company could make a good game?

• slavkecslavkec Member Posts: 20

After seeing this list of games, all I can say is: Thank God for Blizzard. This list isn't the only one that I have no interest in. Games made this year have NO elements that are attractive to me. Am I getting older and over games of this type? I don't think so, 'cause I'm very excited about Diablo 3 (not really an MMO but it has multiplay elements :D ) and Guild Wars 2. Other games that are out now or are coming soon are pathetic (copy of a copy of a copy...). I ain't paying for crap anymore.

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034
    Originally posted by Aiiane

Originally posted by Emberz

Why, because you don't think anyone except a giant company could make a good game?

I can't speak for Emberz, but if we're anything alike, it is more because the game fails to appeal to us in any manner on any front, mechanically, visually or otherwise. I don't care who is developing it: I've just read a lot of adrenaline- and testosterone-driven commentary, seen screenshots of Unreal Tournament characters, watched videos of crappy-looking gameplay, and read the same kind of bad sci-fi short stories that preceded Tabula Rasa. I can't help but think that I would have loved it as a preteen boy, but today....

It is nice to see an MMOFPS with decent character customization, though. That the facial customization is better than that of most recent MMORPGs is a pretty sad fact for the latter.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • AiianeAiiane Member Posts: 17
    Originally posted by Saerain

I can't speak for Emberz, but if we're anything alike, it is more because the game fails to appeal to us in any manner on any front, mechanically, visually or otherwise. I don't care who is developing it: I've just read a lot of adrenaline- and testosterone-driven commentary, seen screenshots of Unreal Tournament characters, watched videos of crappy-looking gameplay, and read the same kind of bad sci-fi short stories that preceded Tabula Rasa. I can't help but think that I would have loved it as a preteen boy, but today....

One thing I would point out is that basically all of the gameplay footage that's been publicly released so far is in the form of a collection of short clips, as opposed to actually seeing how a game plays out. Personally, I wish they would release some more lengthy footage so people could see more of the actual gameplay, as opposed to just people shooting at each other. But that probably won't happen until later on when things are more finalized.

One thing I would point out is that basically all of the gameplay footage that's been publicly released so far is in the form of a collection of short clips, as opposed to actually seeing how a game plays out. Personally, I wish they would release some more lengthy footage so people could see more of the actual gameplay, as opposed to just people shooting at each other. But that probably won't happen until later on when things are more finalized.

Closed beta is less selective. You will likely see all sorts of leaked footage some time after closed beta starts early next month.

Or, you may simply sign up for the beta :D

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

FFXIV was just an unveiling/video.  There was no interaction.  I think the list is pretty solid.  GA has a lot of work put into it and it is a pretty unique and interesting experience.  They just need to focus heavily now on making the FPS side as entertaining as some of the top tier FPS's and they will have a hit.  They took on a serious challenge because not only do you have to implement the MMO aspect into FPS's, but it won't succeed unless it's as good as the regular FPS's in the first place.  No one will keep playing an FPS with some RPG stats or persistant map if it isn't close to as good as the regular online FPS's out there.  APB is an interesting concept and it could work out well.  SW:TOR is a no brainer.  I am surprised DC Univ beat out Champions Online, but I haven't followed each all that much lately or their E3 coverage. 

Nice write up.  Man can you imagine next year's E3?  Could be really sick if the rumored Elder Scrolls Online was unveiled, FFXIV, Heroes of Telara, maybe some Earthrise, Secret World from Funcom, maybe some World of Darkness from CCP, and I bet Trion may unveil their MMORTS or their scifi channel MMO too.  I am hopeful for the next few years and MMO development and progression.  Exciting stuff.

• DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

Right, but keep in mind I gave it the award based on interview, video and playing the actual game with minimal supervision for about an hour.

I wouldn't have given it the sticker unless it really was a lot of fun.

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Again two of your 4 picks are real shaky.   APB is borderline and Global agenda is just not a MMO, they are both far more like Diablo which we all agree is not a MMO than any MMO I have played.

I agree the pickings were slim at E3, still a lot of unannouced MMO's out there.  Next year should be far more interesting when we get to see some of them.

It remains to be seen if DC Universe will be the success that people are hailing it with.  SOE has yet to sway me that they have changed.  I personally think they will ruin the game with RMT.  We will just have to wait and see.