Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another Quick Poll: 'true' MMORPG... or fun?

hanshotfirsthanshotfirst Member UncommonPosts: 712

This poll is intended primarily as satire. Since absolutes and loaded questions are often the cornerstone of hilarity, I have limited the selection of responses to just two answers. Assume both are mutually exclusive!

This thread is not designed to provoke flames... just smiles (and perhaps a touch of introspection)!

Comments

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

I'm sure it'll be a blast for disgruntled WoW refugees looking for the next guided themepark experience.

But it's a fucking shame that such potential was utterly wasted on such an obvious IP money-grab.

• SuvakoSuvako Member UncommonPosts: 48

Hell either way as long as it's fun I'll be givin em money for as long as it stays that way.  I've never played a bioware game I didn't like and I can't imagine that's gonna change with this one.

• hanshotfirsthanshotfirst Member UncommonPosts: 712
    Originally posted by Wharg0ul

I'm sure it'll be a blast for disgruntled WoW refugees looking for the next guided themepark experience.
    But it's a fucking shame that such potential was utterly wasted on such an obvious IP money-grab.

Clench all you want, it's still going in.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

I would rather it be fun than anything else. Otherwise, why play it?

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

The argument is void, this will be a "true" MMORPG. Just because it has stronger single player elements than others doesn't immediately count it out. Sorry, forced grouping lovers, you may not feel at home here. The other 99% of the MMO population, yes, hopefully this will be a good game.

Given the poll options I'd have to vote for both.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156
    Originally posted by hanshotfirst

rofl

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677
    Originally posted by Comnitus

The argument is void, this will be a "true" MMORPG. Just because it has stronger single player elements than others doesn't immediately count it out. Sorry, forced grouping lovers, you may not feel at home here. The other 99% of the MMO population, yes, hopefully this will be a good game.
    Given the poll options I'd have to vote for both.

There are times that I like to group and other times that I just want to relax and do some stuff. So far, I am pretty optimistic about what I am hearing about SWTOR. I will however admit that I am a big fan of Bioware games (Mass effect, Kotor 1/2, Baldur's gate, etc).

• demalusdemalus Member Posts: 401

I don't play single player games a lot anymore because TRUE MMORPGs put them to shame in my opinion.  So I didn't vote because it would be both :)

yeah....but as you see it's the Star Wars IP that's getting raped...again.

Dude, the whole IP itself has been little more than a money-grab since the first Kenner toys came off the production line. Some might even argue there hasn't been a decent Star Wars movie since 1980.

Calm down already.

• IlvaldyrIlvaldyr Member CommonPosts: 2,142

Dude, the whole IP itself has been little more than a money-grab since the first Kenner toys came off the production line. Some might even argue there hasn't been a decent Star Wars movie since 1980.

Calm down already.

Not true, the Clone Wars was fantastaaaack, I can't even troll in such poor taste.

I'll just quietly leave the thread.

Playing: EVE, Final Fantasy 13, Uncharted 2, Need for Speed: Shift
  • SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003

One thing I always shake my head at is when people categorize a game and say "because it's game type x, it will suck".  

The labels or definitions you put on a game are meaningless if the game isn't fun.   Fun is utterly the most important part of any game.   If you enjoy it, who cares what others name it?

I suppose one exception would be those few in the world who game as a living.  

• econ24econ24 Member Posts: 45

Nonsense like this on these forums is just totally retarded.  If Bioware was out to cash in on the Star Wars name then they wouldn't be putting so much time and effort into TOR.  Totally different branching stories for every class, and 100% voice acting for every NPC and PC is not something you do if you just want to cash in on an IP.  Bioware has also stated that each class' quest line will have as much content as one of their single player RPGs.

With as much as Bioware is putting into just the leveling process, the voice acting and story, you can be sure that they are also going to be putting in the type of content that keeps people playing, aka PVP, raiding, etc., so that they can actually make some money.

The only reason Bioware is talking so much about the story at this time is because it is what sets TOR apart from other MMOs.  If Bioware was to instead emphasize the non-story elements of TOR we would be hearing "OMG TOR is just another WoW clone that brings nothing new to MMOs!!!".

The fact that you will be able to solo the story does not make TOR any less of an MMO.  Just look at WoW, you can easily solo level and then at cap you have to group for instances, raids, and PVP.  Look at the precious sand box games people on these forums cry about the lose of.  I played both UO and SWG and did nothing but solo...UO didn't even have a grouping mechanism when I played it.

• KshahdooKshahdoo Member Posts: 553

WoW is a great fun for as many people as any other MMORPG hasn't seen... but is WoW a "true MMORPG... or fun"?

• KalmporosKalmporos Member UncommonPosts: 293

When I pay monthly fee for a MMORPG I expect a MMORPG.

If TOR is going to  follow the "solo is the best way to go but you still have an option to party" road I hope they'll make it like GW that didnt require a monthly fee.

But still its too early to judge.

• CailiegCailieg Member Posts: 85

Greetings and salutations my fellow gamers,

Alexis here, just your average friendly gamer girl with a penchant for wordy yet eloquent replies. Making my splash debut on MMORPG.com in a thread that is based on a jest poll.....Truly one must wonder at my sanity. But here goes.

Bioware is trying something new, and we, as gamers, have grown so accustomed to our acronyms and definitions that we are nervous at the thought of true innovation. Often times it is this mentality, the "you can't break this mould or else bad things are destined to come your way", that splits our communities in half. Nearly as much as our worst debates on time constraints, gear obtainment value, to kill or not to kill another player and all around "this is greater than that" banter.

But why is this the case? Why are we, as gamers afraid of innovation in our genres? Why is the threat of "watering down the heart of the genre" such a concern.....to me, it is not. But to many of my fellows it stems from the idea that if a game deviates too far from the core of its genre and then is labeled as something it's not it opens the door for other games of a similar milieu to flood in. Valid concerns all. And sadly something we are already seeing in the MMO genre, with these first person shooter 24 people to a zone max "MMO-lites"..... So why is Bioware different, and how?

They tell amazing stories.

Bioware has yet to fail me, all of their games, and most of their game derivatives or partnership projects have been among my favorite game experiences. And for me it all began (yea I know I was a late BW fan) with Neverwinter Nights. It was what tore me and my friends away from our multiyear Diablo 2 addiction. Once I had tasted that...I checked out more things with their hand on it or near it. From Baldur's Gate to Planescape: Torment (their engine and a couple of their designers worked on it) to KoToR and then ME. They have never failed to astound me at their storytelling expertise.

But will this, this grandiose storytelling, amazing characterization and full voice over, work in my precious MMO genre? Like others I too have my concerns, though, I cannot and will not let them rule me.

You see these amazing RPG tools, the stories, the voices, the characterization, is one thing I could never fulfill in my MMO gaming. A closet addiction I have had since EQ1... For these things I had always to go elsewhere. Ever having to separate these two genres I so enjoyed.

And now they are to be married together in one game, done by a company that has yet to fail me.

Fears or not. I look forward to SW:TOR and to seeing how and if Bioware can accomplish the marriage of these two genres in a single game. Will this game prove to be MMORPG or SPORPG, the jury is out on this, but Bioware promised a fully functioning MMO, they have said this game will possess all the traits of an MMO. Will the single player like aspects of this game override the massive feel?

I urge you my fellow gamers, to try and let time tell on this one, rather than caving to your fears about a single player online role playing game. I have yet to be disappointed by this development team, and if they can maintain the massive feel, and add these elements to the game, then I say they may become the new golden standard in the genre.

So I voted this game be fun, though were I to have the chance I would have checked both, because I believe Bioware can deliver both.

Alexis Diana Dority

*smiles*

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Originally posted by Cailieg

Greetings and salutations my fellow gamers,
    Alexis here, just your average friendly gamer girl with a penchant for wordy yet eloquent replies. Making my splash debut on MMORPG.com in a thread that is based on a jest poll.....Truly one must wonder at my sanity. But here goes.
    Bioware is trying something new, and we, as gamers, have grown so accustomed to our acronyms and definitions that we are nervous at the thought of true innovation. Often times it is this mentality, the "you can't break this mould or else bad things are destined to come your way", that splits our communities in half. Nearly as much as our worst debates on time constraints, gear obtainment value, to kill or not to kill another player and all around "this is greater than that" banter.
    But why is this the case? Why are we, as gamers afraid of innovation in our genres? Why is the threat of "watering down the heart of the genre" such a concern.....to me, it is not. But to many of my fellows it stems from the idea that if a game deviates too far from the core of its genre and then is labeled as something it's not it opens the door for other games of a similar milieu to flood in. Valid concerns all. And sadly something we are already seeing in the MMO genre, with these first person shooter 24 people to a zone max "MMO-lites"..... So why is Bioware different, and how?
    They tell amazing stories.
    Bioware has yet to fail me, all of their games, and most of their game derivatives or partnership projects have been among my favorite game experiences. And for me it all began (yea I know I was a late BW fan) with Neverwinter Nights. It was what tore me and my friends away from our multiyear Diablo 2 addiction. Once I had tasted that...I checked out more things with their hand on it or near it. From Baldur's Gate to Planescape: Torment (their engine and a couple of their designers worked on it) to KoToR and then ME. They have never failed to astound me at their storytelling expertise.
    But will this, this grandiose storytelling, amazing characterization and full voice over, work in my precious MMO genre? Like others I too have my concerns, though, I cannot and will not let them rule me.
    You see these amazing RPG tools, the stories, the voices, the characterization, is one thing I could never fulfill in my MMO gaming. A closet addiction I have had since EQ1... For these things I had always to go elsewhere. Ever having to separate these two genres I so enjoyed.
    And now they are to be married together in one game, done by a company that has yet to fail me.

Fears or not. I look forward to SW:TOR and to seeing how and if Bioware can accomplish the marriage of these two genres in a single game. Will this game prove to be MMORPG or SPORPG, the jury is out on this, but Bioware promised a fully functioning MMO, they have said this game will possess all the traits of an MMO. Will the single player like aspects of this game override the massive feel?
    I urge you my fellow gamers, to try and let time tell on this one, rather than caving to your fears about a single player online role playing game. I have yet to be disappointed by this development team, and if they can maintain the massive feel, and add these elements to the game, then I say they may become the new golden standard in the genre.

So I voted this game be fun, though were I to have the chance I would have checked both, because I believe Bioware can deliver both.

Alexis Diana Dority

*smiles*

I've seen you post on the swtor forums, I thought I recognized that sig from someplace.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• CailiegCailieg Member Posts: 85

That would be me. And thank you for saying hello.

Alexis

*smiles*

Originally posted by Elesthor

If TOR is going to  follow the "solo is the best way to go but you still have an option to party" road I hope they'll make it like GW that didnt require a monthly fee.

With the possible exception of Final Fantasy XI (though it's my understanding even that title is allowing for more solo-friendly content), name a single MMO where solo isn't the best way to go?

• demalusdemalus Member Posts: 401

I don't feel BioWare is trying anything new.  They are slapping the most generic and barebone features of an MMO onto the next iteration of KotOR.

People keep saying it is all about fun.  True, but you don't seem to understand.  Madden might be fun, but there are those of us who actually like playing MMORPGs, which is why we come to this website (I suspect you come for the same reason).  Just because a game in another genre is good, it doesn't mean that it'll be the game an MMORPG fan wants to play, or a game that should shape the next 6 years of the genre...

Originally posted by demalus

I don't feel BioWare is trying anything new.  They are slapping the most generic and barebone features of an MMO onto the next iteration of KotOR.
    People keep saying it is all about fun.  True, but you don't seem to understand.  Madden might be fun, but there are those of us who actually like playing MMORPGs, which is why we come to this website (I suspect you come for the same reason).  Just because a game in another genre is good, it doesn't mean that it'll be the game an MMORPG fan wants to play, or a game that should shape the next 6 years of the genre...

Short of the game being wildly fun, successful and popular, how exactly do you propose it will "shape the next 6 years of the genre" if it isn't anything new and has the most "generic and barebone features of an MMO" slapped onto it?

You're right. I don't understand you.

Originally posted by demalus

Short of the game being wildly fun, successful and popular, how exactly do you propose it will "shape the next 6 years of the genre" if it isn't anything new and has the most "generic and barebone features of an MMO" slapped onto it?

You're right. I don't understand you.

Careful there, man...game's not released yet, we don't know if it will be ANY of those things. Remember AoC? Darkfall?

Listen, I'll concede the game will probably be fun...but not as an MMORPG, as most of us pre-wow MMORPG vets understand it.

LA (LEC) are the ones pulling the money grab here, to clarify one of my earlier posts...but Bioware's name is on the line. Bioware isn't going to release a half-assed game...

BUT...and here's where I clarify the confusion I've just caused.....will the game actually BE an MMORPG, or a single player game with grouping options, and a branching (though linear, and guided) story experience?

Information that we have so far suggests the latter. I honestly hope that I'm wrong, and that I'm surprised when the game is released, but seriously....LEC wants to make a certain type of game...(as we saw with the NGE)....something that makes the player "feel like Han Solo or Luke Skywalker".....Iconic, Star-Warsy, and Epic. They don't give a flying FUCK what the players want, or what actually DEFINES an MMORPG.

It's up to Bioware to make the game that LEC is demanding (and paying for) without making themselves look like incompetant amateurs in the process. They will make the game as fun as they possibly can...ALA KOTOR.

But will it really be a MMORPG?? THAT is the question.

• SuvakoSuvako Member UncommonPosts: 48

"Careful there, man...game's not released yet, we don't know if it will be ANY of those things."

Truer words have never been spoken...and they equally apply to each comment saying it won't be an mmo.  Wait and see. 

• singsofdeathsingsofdeath Member UncommonPosts: 1,812

Careful there, man...game's not released yet, we don't know if it will be ANY of those things. Remember AoC? Darkfall?
    Very true.
    Listen, I'll concede the game will probably be fun...but not as an MMORPG, as most of us pre-wow MMORPG vets understand it.
    LA (LEC) are the ones pulling the money grab here, to clarify one of my earlier posts...but Bioware's name is on the line. Bioware isn't going to release a half-assed game...
    BUT...and here's where I clarify the confusion I've just caused.....will the game actually BE an MMORPG, or a single player game with grouping options, and a branching (though linear, and guided) story experience?
    Information that we have so far suggests the latter. I honestly hope that I'm wrong, and that I'm surprised when the game is released, but seriously....LEC wants to make a certain type of game...(as we saw with the NGE)....something that makes the player "feel like Han Solo or Luke Skywalker".....Iconic, Star-Warsy, and Epic. They don't give a flying FUCK what the players want, or what actually DEFINES an MMORPG.
    It's up to Bioware to make the game that LEC is demanding (and paying for) without making themselves look like incompetant amateurs in the process. They will make the game as fun as they possibly can...ALA KOTOR.
    But will it really be a MMORPG?? THAT is the question.

And that all depends on what they offer after the level experience. Will the promised PvP/Raids/Social content be well thought out and fun? Or will it be slapped on and half-assed? 

If it#s the first, I think we can safely call it an MMO. If it's the latter...then no, not so much. 

Right now, it's all up in the air. We shall see. ^^

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by Elesthor

With the possible exception of Final Fantasy XI (though it's my understanding even that title is allowing for more solo-friendly content), name a single MMO where solo isn't the best way to go?

Eve online.. for one, but not the only one, DDO was supposed to be a group orientated game, honestly though, if you dont want to play with/against other players, why are you even playing an mmo in the first place, solo play is too much like m*sturbation..