Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All Points Bulletin: E3 2009 Preview & Video Interview

DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

Creator David Jones ran us through the ins and outs of All Points Bulletin, while Chris Dye submitted to an on camera interview. Check them both out!

“We’ve replaced AI with players as content,” said Jones. So where do the NPCs fit in? They tend to act as the inciting force. Run over a guy on the road? That’s a crime. Stealing a car and a passer by “sees you?” That’s likely to generate an encounter. They wander around and react as they do in GTA, but largely are the fodder for the PvP war.

Encounters work the other way too. Sometimes law enforcement players will get missions, for example “protect this truck as it delivers money from one bank to the other.” Of course, criminals get a mutually exclusive mission and mayhem begins.

Read the article here.

Watch the video here.

Dana Massey
Formerly of MMORPG.com
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Comments

• LoboMauLoboMau Member UncommonPosts: 395

Im very interested to see if this game will work!

• korvasskorvass Member Posts: 616

Pity (for me) that it's a pvp game. It looks totally kick-ass so far..

• MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780
    Originally posted by Dana

“We’ve replaced AI with players as content,” said Jones.

Thats a big gamble. Seeing how the system requirements seem to be on the high side and if they don't get enough subscribers the game will feel quite empty.

I like some of the ideas but this game looks like it will be pretty exclusive and the amount of information that seems to be travelling from client to server and back with all the customisation looks like quite a bit.

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

The 100 person instance limit will need to be seen in action to judge, especially depending on how seamless the instances mesh up.

But this: “There really is no overarching story in APB,” Jones noted. He wants the players to be the content and drive it themselves.

That's is so encouraging to hear any dev say now a days.

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

Very cool concept, and it seems like this is a passion project for the devs which is nice considering the slew of greed mongered titles that have been in development and on the market.  Hope it works out well.

• shad0w99shad0w99 Member Posts: 168

Now THIS is exciting.

The computer gaming industry, and MMOs in particular, seem to lack creative people who can think outside the box and really do something truly different.

Grand Theft Auto was possibly one of the greatest ideas ever. I've played the series since the very first one so I have a lot of hope for this game!

MMOs played (In order of how much I've liked them): Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, Vanguard, City of Villains / Heroes, Guild Wars, Warhammer Online, Age of Conan, Tabula Rasa, Anarchy Online, Ryzom, Final Fantasy XI, Matrix Online, RF Online, Rappelz, Hero Online, Roma Victor

• reanorreanor Member UncommonPosts: 441

Game sounds like it has a good potential. I like the concept of players-cops receiving an APB for committed crime and criminals are players as well. Makes it very fun for both sides. What I really don't want to happen is this game to become like a chaos of Killzone 2 on PS3. Very fun realistic graphics, this game reminds me a bit about Crackdown on Xbox 360. From the article I read that there won't be a chaos and things will be limited to sessions. I hope those sessions will be divided by "cops on duty" against "criminals committing a crime" maybe 5v5 or max 10v10 sessions and not about 50 people on one side against 50 people on the other side.

What would be the best is if APB was issued to the law enforcement agents depending on a severity of crime committed and how many criminals were involved. Otherwise it won't be fun if you will have to join a session "cops against criminals" where 50v50 running around district and trying to make a head shot.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

This game looks amazing.  My wife and I both love all the GTA games and this looks like something that would appeal to both of us.

But, and this is a big BUT...I'd rather see the graphics knocked down a notch or two and have one large persistent city where there was no instancing.  That would be my dream game, because loading screens break immersion. 

Graphically this game makes Age of Conan look very dated, and that worries me.  Will this game be able to run smoothly with a pc less than $10k ? Because from the looks of it, it's gonna require one monster rig.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Think outside the box?  Now that comment was funny.   Did they not get the fact that people did not like all the instancing in AOC?   Instancing like this does not a MMO make.  All this game is a bigger diablo basically.

At least they did not saddle it like the competitors with a ridiculous name like Crimecraft, I will give them that.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    Originally posted by shad0w99

Now THIS is exciting.
    The computer gaming industry, and MMOs in particular, seem to lack creative people who can think outside the box and really do something truly different.
    Grand Theft Auto was possibly one of the greatest ideas ever. I've played the series since the very first one so I have a lot of hope for this game!

The problem with thinking to far outside the box is, you alienate a shit load of potential players. The average person likes thing simple, that's just human nature, but that’s not the point. The main point is the high end computing requirements, that will also alienate a huge percentage of the PC gamer market. They would almost be better making this game a console exclusive since the PC only market is such a gamble with a game like this. I know folks don’t like to hear that, but it’s true. There are a lot of us with good rigs, but not everyone who would want to play it, will be able to. That being said it looks like a rocking game.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• sn0wblind00sn0wblind00 Member UncommonPosts: 388

sounds great, looks great, and finally an original idea in the mmo market.   looking forward to this one.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Guys, this is another instanced shooter that's EXACTLY like HUXLEY & Global Agenda. Both of which, are complete failures in terms of their gameplay. All three, instance the fighting to VERY limited arenas for people to just blast each other apart.

It's sad to say, but it looks like the shooter genre for MMO's isn't here yet :(. Nothing but korean instanced ripoffs (imagine Gunz Online, but with better graphics). :(

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Now THIS is exciting.

I hope you're being completely sarcastic. You'll see if you ACTUALLY waste money on this piece of turd that it's nothing but an instanced worthless-fest. :(

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• Cristina1Cristina1 Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Now THIS is exciting.

I hope you're being completely sarcastic. You'll see if you ACTUALLY waste money on this piece of turd that it's nothing but an instanced worthless-fest. :(

I BET if it had Orcs, Elfs and magic in it, you would be saying different things :)

• vvistovvvvistovv Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by tillamook

The main point is the high end computing requirements, that will also alienate a huge percentage of the PC gamer market. They would almost be better making this game a console exclusive since the PC only market is such a gamble with a game like this. I know folks don’t like to hear that, but it’s true. There are a lot of us with good rigs, but not everyone who would want to play it, will be able to. That being said it looks like a rocking game.

You guys really need to get with the program, get rid of your p4/amdxp whatevers, and just buy a new computer.  You like computer games right?  You like mmo games that you play on your computer right?  Your obviously reading this thread so that shows you have some interest in stuff like this.  Just get it over with and buy yourself a gaming rig.  Dont have the ca$h?  Get a job!  Got a job and still dont have the money?  Cut back on some of your vices.  Are you an alchoholic, smoke cigarettes,.. addicted to mountain dew and fast food?  Well, thats not my problem.  The point: there IS something you can not do as much to save money.  And in 3-6 months.. 8-12 months, you should have enough for a shiny new rig that can chew through these games like a fat chick at the KFC buffet. 

That said, game looks like it might be bandwidth heavy from all this music sensing stuff.  And if some young thug comes crusing down my street blasting his rap music, i'd like to know which metal song i have in my playlist that will best correlate to his rap. 

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Terranah

This game looks amazing.  My wife and I both love all the GTA games and this looks like something that would appeal to both of us.

But, and this is a big BUT...I'd rather see the graphics knocked down a notch or two and have one large persistent city where there was no instancing.  That would be my dream game, because loading screens break immersion. 

Graphically this game makes Age of Conan look very dated, and that worries me.  Will this game be able to run smoothly with a pc less than $10k ? Because from the looks of it, it's gonna require one monster rig.

It depends wich Engine they use / licensed. Trying to find info on that.

By the looks of it, especially the bloom effects... it comes scarily close to the Unreal Engine 3.

If that's the case, then I have no worries the game will run fairly smooth on most hardware of the last 2 years.

Cheers

EDIT: Found it! They use the Unreal Engine 3.

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Think outside the box?  Now that comment was funny.   Did they not get the fact that people did not like all the instancing in AOC?   Instancing like this does not a MMO make.  All this game is a bigger diablo basically.
    At least they did not saddle it like the competitors with a ridiculous name like Crimecraft, I will give them that.

Hm, no dont agree whit you here.

AOC was instanced mainly for its gfx systems, no other reason and no new game consepts in that MMoRPG

APB aint a MMoRPG let that be clear, its quake live in a bigger jackted and character stats.

Its a casual game, a  pvp game like any fps but still a casual game.

lovers of saintrow,gta and other games like that will adore this game.

I Like those games, I like masive, I like beng able to make  some sort of impact so i will like this game (as far consepts go) 

The tradional roleplayer will Not like this game, if they up the server load to 500/1000 players tradional  roleplayer would like the game.

100 still fps game nummers.

500+ is worthty to be named a comunity and thus roleplay can take root.

• elateelate Member UncommonPosts: 72

I want to add that this isn't GTA:Online.

Mentioning GTA in the same breath as this game is a marketing tactic. Don't get sucked in. Judge the game on its merits, not on your love for GTA.

I will see how it goes. The information so far released isn't too exciting, let's be honest.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

"Each player should be able to easily make a character that is completely original to the APB world and the game will never force people to change how they look just because they want to upgrade their character."  Too bad most mmoROLE PLAYING GAMES don't get this...

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• EscherMoonEscherMoon Member Posts: 5

This game looks graphically amazing!  :)  I'm not too into PVP but in this case, I would try it out and pretend I'm some hard gang banger with purple hair, crazy tats and one sock.  (Whoever commented on getting a better rig and quit eating at the KFC buffet made me laugh!  Hahaha!  Thanks for the chuckle...)