Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DC Universe: E3 2009 Preview & Video Interview

DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

At E3 2009, SOE was showing off DC Universe Online hands-on and for the PS3. We checked the game out, took in a villain mission and then did a video interview with Creative Director Jens Anderson.

Unlike most MMOs, DC doesn't usually give the players 20 possible attacks in their hot bar at any given time. It's a simpler, faster experience and depending on the user's comfort with a console controller (specifically the camera), should be very familiar to that brand of gamer.

The bottom line is that the game looks and feels like a super-hero experience should. It's fast, things are exploding and flying around. There's nothing quite likely a running street fight at 200 mph to make someone feel heroic.

Read the preview here.

Watch the interview here.

Dana Massey
Formerly of MMORPG.com
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Comments

• OyjordOyjord Member UncommonPosts: 568

Ugh.

Dumbing down MMO UIs so they can be played on a consoles will be the death of MMORPGs.   One of the best and striking feature of the MMORPG genre was the fact that ANY given fight you had to make a choice amongst 30-40 options.  Choice=good.  Choice=situational thinking.  Lack of choice=dumbing down.

What a shame, the game appeared to have some potential.  As did Champions Online.  Too bad.

• FlummoxedFlummoxed Member Posts: 591

Oh good, yet another 1st / 3rd person action fighting twitch game,

success depends on how fast you can jiggle a joystick. 

And oh ya, they have Pee vee Pee.  BFD.

Mile Wide, Inch Deep. 

Yawn.

• AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525

Thanks for the preview and the details from E3.   It sounds like the game still has a ways to go before it's even into beta.  

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847

Originally posted by Oyjord
    Ugh.Dumbing down MMO UIs so they can be played on a consoles will be the death of MMORPGs.   One of the best and striking feature of the MMORPG genre was the fact that ANY given fight you had to make a choice amongst 30-40 options.  Choice=good.  Choice=situational thinking.  Lack of choice=dumbing down.
    Ugh.

My sentiments exactly when I read your post.

Yeah, you have 30 to 40 options and only 5 of those options are actually good.

Also, I would say that DC Universe is more about situational choice then any other MMO. With the action style combat and physics engine you can do things in DC Universe that you only wish you could in other MMOs.

One of those choices is detailed in this preview too: being able to pick up a fallen enemy and swing it around like a weapon.

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Ugh.

Dumbing down MMO UIs so they can be played on a consoles will be the death of MMORPGs.   One of the best and striking feature of the MMORPG genre was the fact that ANY given fight you had to make a choice amongst 30-40 options.  Choice=good.  Choice=situational thinking.  Lack of choice=dumbing down.

What a shame, the game appeared to have some potential.  As did Champions Online.  Too bad.

Hmm sounds like you jump to conclusions too fast. It's the same reason why you don't have any friends. You don't get to know anyone before passing judgement. Same could be said about this game.

Just kidding... but I have a feeling I'm more right than one would admit.

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Yup, CO going the same way as this 'console style' interface,  where you can only ever actually have about 7 powers.

I certainly wont be buying either of them.

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    Originally posted by natuxatu

Ugh.

Hmm sounds like you jump to conclusions too fast. It's the same reason why you don't have any friends. You don't get to know anyone before passing judgement. Same could be said about this game.

Just kidding... but I have a feeling I'm more right than one would admit.

No he's quite right, Im in the Champions Beta and its exactly the same,  while characters all may look different they are all using pretty much the same powers,  its hideously boring.  you get to level 15 and still only have about 3 powers. 

You do have loads of gear options, but its worth noting that on CO you never get the option to view this gear its always invisible, so thats one thing which DC has.

But the critical point is MMO's being developed for consoles are nothing like proper PC MMO's, very boring, very linear and not the kind of games that you can play for months and months on end.

• alkennjoialkennjoi Member Posts: 101

i wont be playing this so i dotn care or know if its been spoken about but how infantile is it to pick up busses and go smash.  i mean really.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Good grief, I thought I had the prerogative for skepticism here!

Seriously, first it is WAY too early to bash this game, it is frigging Alpha. Pre Alpha actually. And then, I find the idea of a more action oriented combat cool. This classic MMO combat is SO overdone. The ridiculous was in which 120 bears are equally spread over some meadow, all standing there in idle mode, waiting for you and you hack hack hack 5 minutes on one bear, then move on to the next... that is so boring for me now.

And what good IS IT to have 40 attacks, really? I mean cool you can litter your screen with 5 quickbars full of attacks, and then press 1-40 all over. But looking at all the various attacks in EQ2, LOTRO or whatever, they are really usually only different in name and some weird stats. They dont really make a different feel in combat to me. I prefer to have few but cool and distinctive attacks over having 40 meaningless cookiee cutter "symbolic combat" attacks at any day!

I find the concepts of DCU - and CO, to make a more action oriented combat both the only fitting for a Superhero game, as well as highly needed. Which of the two will better in the end remains to be seen. Both seem to have their pros and cons, in comparision. It is still quite away it seems, tho. But for a pre-alpha stage I thought it looks quite alright. At least little to really already bitch about. ;)

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by sadeyx

Yup, CO going the same way as this 'console style' interface,  where you can only ever actually have about 7 powers.

*sigh* Cryptic really should have been more informative. So many false ideas about the game circling. Cant say more.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by sadeyx

Champions Online will be using different interfaces for both the PC and Console

www.massively.com/2009/03/11/champions-online-console-launch-will-be-delayed/

release both games with completely different UI models to take advantage of the different platform types

• ZindromeZindrome Member Posts: 1

test message

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

This glowing review seems to miss some huge roadblocks this game faces.  It is going to be entering into a crowded hero niche.  Seems the only thing SOE is aiming for is to garner the console market, except that the PS3 is at the bottom with a significant gap between it and the other console providers.

First off making a game playable by a console controller pretty much dumbs the game down to ridiculous levels.  Secondly, good luck trying to pvp with a controller verses someone using a mouse/ keyboard. 

Just another example of how out of touch SOE with the genre.  Anyone thinking this game will bail out SOE is having delusions.

• VeviVevi Member Posts: 146

As a RPer I am not happy with the Arcade feel of the game so far.  I will hold off any other judgements.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

First off making a game playable by a console controller pretty much dumbs the game down to ridiculous levels. 

so according to your perceptions,

we should writeoff 3 upcoming mmos

-Champions Online

- Secret World

- Final Fantasy XIV

as being "dumbed down" because they will also be released on console?

I'll wait til I see a console mmo before I judge it

• stine96stine96 Member UncommonPosts: 45

If the game is fun who cares if it is " dumbed down ". Click on a target and hitting a power on a hot bar is so complex.

• LoboMauLoboMau Member UncommonPosts: 395

Ugh.

Enough with the "I hack and the you slash" Type of game! I want speed and action! I think this is going  to be like "Ultimate Marvel Alliance" but in a MMO!! That cant be  bad!!

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776
    Originally posted by Elikal

Good grief, I thought I had the prerogative for skepticism here!
    Seriously, first it is WAY too early to bash this game, it is frigging Alpha. Pre Alpha actually. And then, I find the idea of a more action oriented combat cool. This classic MMO combat is SO overdone. The ridiculous was in which 120 bears are equally spread over some meadow, all standing there in idle mode, waiting for you and you hack hack hack 5 minutes on one bear, then move on to the next... that is so boring for me now.

And what good IS IT to have 40 attacks, really? I mean cool you can litter your screen with 5 quickbars full of attacks, and then press 1-40 all over. But looking at all the various attacks in EQ2, LOTRO or whatever, they are really usually only different in name and some weird stats. They dont really make a different feel in combat to me. I prefer to have few but cool and distinctive attacks over having 40 meaningless cookiee cutter "symbolic combat" attacks at any day!

I find the concepts of DCU - and CO, to make a more action oriented combat both the only fitting for a Superhero game, as well as highly needed. Which of the two will better in the end remains to be seen. Both seem to have their pros and cons, in comparision. It is still quite away it seems, tho. But for a pre-alpha stage I thought it looks quite alright. At least little to really already bitch about. ;)

Ya know I grew up on comic books but as an mmo player I have no interest in what you are talking about or any of the others who complain about the forty or so attacks you get.  For one what makes you think having three attacks during let's say 10 levels will come off any better then having 7 attacks by that point once you play these games you will see all the animations they have thousands of times and I for one would rather take the time using 10 as opposed to the three you are talking about.  How many times will you be able to see yourself throw someone through a wall or hit them with a bus before it gets old?

I guess my point is a few of you are coming off as hyper critical of the opinion of old school players simply for having that opinion.  If you are excited about this IMHO shallow game ot Champions good but valid points are being made from a MMO standpoint, maybe with these new offerings they will be able to tap into the "console" market with an mmo model and if so I'm glad for them but I'll stick to games like LOTRO (which by the way gives you a reason to use your different abilities often enough that you learn to use all of the abilities with traits) and hell even Conan.

The average mmo gamer isn't going to hang out in an arcade all day for pvp and I highly doubt many fans of hardcore mmo pvp will give this game much of a chance either,  in regards to the game graphically it looks better than it did when they first started showing it and looks like it may run smooth(which is going to have much more to do with lack of options compared to most mmos) but these games are going to arguably be a small step above coh/v or a step below and though the game was fun that isn't saying much.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• materva26materva26 Member Posts: 64

Only 1 Problem here. Three little words that tells me this game is a failure from the start.

SONY ONLINE ENTERTAINMENT

No thank you, F* this game and F* Sony Online Entertainment. They ruin every game they get there hands on. Whether it's just publishing or not.