Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Lebow: Top 5 Exciting Things From E3

2»

Comments

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Originally posted by Teiman

"There are two things that I know when I buy a Bioware game—I’m going to get a polished, well-developed gaming experience, and there is going to be a focus on good storytelling."

Are we talking about Obsidiam here? the authors of KOTOR2? 

BioWare is the author of the 20 hours long "pseudo-Star Wars"  Mass Effect, and the dumbed down  for consoles clone of system shock called  "Bioshock".  The Bioware guys are very good developers, but his games are more about combat, and a good engine, than writting.   We will probably get polish, that is the next best thing as good writting. 

# Baldur's Gate (1998)

# Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast (1999)

# Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn (2000)

# Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal (2001)

# Neverwinter Nights (2002)

# Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide (2003)

# Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark (2003)

# Neverwinter Nights: Kingmaker (2005)

# Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (2003)

# Jade Empire (2005)

# Mass Effect (2007)

# Dragon Age: Origins (in-development) (2009)

# Mass Effect 2 (in-development) (Spring 2010)

# Mass Effect 3 (pre-development)

Yeah I agree, Bioware definitely can't get good writers.  /sarcasm

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• badgererbadgerer Member Posts: 90

So, have any of the E3 attendees learned anything about what actual multiplayer aspects there are to SW:Tor? I haven't found much info on this. So far it sounds like one of their previous single player games.

• DerrialDerrial Member Posts: 250

There wasn't a lot of new info at this year's E3.  SWTOR being fully voiced, and the announcement of The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition and Tales of Monkey Island were the most interesting bits of news to me.

• teratyateratya Member UncommonPosts: 347

So in essence there was nothing of consequence for MMOs at E3.....

John - "Looks like your going to have to close it yourself, SHITTY!!!!"

• lethyslethys Member UncommonPosts: 585

This is not a good article.  First off, for anyone who wants to play a DoTA like game, Demigod is the way to go.  This other guy's game has terrible graphics based on screenshots and I never even heard of it, but Demigod is a game from the publishers of Sins of a Solar Empire, and it rocks the socks off competitors, trust me.

Secondly, Lego Rock Band?  #5 is some game that HE worked on?  What about Beatles Rock Band?  For that matter, where are the MMO's APB and The Agency?  They surely excited way more people than any of the last three games on your list.  If you aren't doing MMO's only, where is Mass Effect 3, Milo, Assassin's Creed 2, Dante's Inferno, God of War 3, Brutal Legend, the new Mario for the Wii, Mafia 2, or Bioshock 2?  I understand that this list is your opinion, but I don't think that it is really looking at the entire spectrum.  And I don't think anything bugs me more than saying that a game that is generally regarded as a pretty good game in Final Fantasy Online actually "hurt" to play "to the core."  No it didn't.  What a bogus statement.

Overall, I give everything but the first two games a huge thumbs down, plus those two really did not have any information released about them that we didn't already know.  I understand being excited for them, but at E3 the show was APB's in terms of MMO games as well as The Agency's, with SWTOR and Final Fantasy still being unkown for the most part, and a plethora of good single player games that beat all of them out.

• DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415
    Originally posted by natuxatu

I think very few people would agree with wii resort and especially lego rockband as being the top five things shown from E3. I don't buy this article at all. Would have been more interested to read about top five mmo news from E3 as this is mmorpg.com

We're getting there :)

VIdeo issues, but our coverage, while delayed will be quite in depth =)

*cough* Sorry!

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com
    Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

• segynsegyn Member Posts: 234

if you pay attention to The interviews with the devs they are trying to sell the story. And yes they talk alot about your class story but that class story is just inside the game It still has the empire vs republic RVR that is going to be going on all the quests taht go along with that story also. But besides the stories you get in other mmo's you also get your personal char story. This is what makes them different and that is why this is what they talk about the most. 

If you check out the interviews from E3 there is going to be crafting, PVP, Raiding dungeons open world quests that you can collect. But all that stuff is done by every other mmo and is expected in an mmo so they mostly talk about the Char story and the choices Because that is what sets them a part.

And i agree with the top two as big news. A fully voiced mmo is huge news. Now they aren't talking about just the main quest line voiced they are talking about You go to a vendor to sell some trash and he is voiced over. Every thing That is amazing. That is so much time and money invested in just that. 

I'm also excited about FFxiv I love final fantasy series and I loved FFXI back in the day probably the mmo i played the longest out of all the ones I have played.

But after that this list just goes south to me. 

Left 4 Dead 2 had me excited when I saw that trailer pop up.

I loved seeing the new gameplay footage for The Agency. I'm excited about this game also.

Abp or apb was pretty exciting news. Dragon age origins got me excited so didn't mass effect 2. 

And I would say Rock Band Beatels was much bigger news than the lego one.

• Jefferson81Jefferson81 Member Posts: 730
    Originally posted by Roin

"There are two things that I know when I buy a Bioware game—I’m going to get a polished, well-developed gaming experience, and there is going to be a focus on good storytelling."

BioWare is the author of the 20 hours long "pseudo-Star Wars"  Mass Effect, and the dumbed down  for consoles clone of system shock called  "Bioshock".  The Bioware guys are very good developers, but his games are more about combat, and a good engine, than writting.   We will probably get polish, that is the next best thing as good writting. 

# Baldur's Gate (1998)

# Jade Empire (2005)

# Mass Effect (2007)

The Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 and their expansions were created by Black Isle Studios and not by BioWare and I think that Black Isle Studios also created the first Neverwinter Nights game.

Mass Effect is a bugridden game that many people can't even get to work properly.

I strongly believe that Mass Effect marked the decline of BioWare.

Originally posted by Jefferson81

Originally posted by Roin

# Baldur's Gate (1998)

# Jade Empire (2005)

# Mass Effect (2007)

The Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 and their expansions were created by Black Isle Studios and not by BioWare and I think that Black Isle Studios also created the first Neverwinter Nights game.

Mass Effect is a bugridden game that many people can't even get to work properly.

Nah.  Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 were developed by Bioware and Published by Black Isle Studios & Interplay.  Icewind Dale 1 and 2 were developed fully by Black Isle.  Black Isle had nothing to do with Neverwinter Nights.  The lead designer of the original Baldur's Gate was Ray Muzyka who is currently Bioware's CEO.

• AutonAuton Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by Jefferson81

This has to get a great big WTF from me. Mass Effect is, right around, one of the best RPGs I've played. I got it off Steam - rendering it free of SecuROM malware - and had exactly zero, zilch, niente in the way of bugs. I did try out a pirated version to see if it really -was- worth buying, and there, lo and behold, bugs aplenty. Including a few gamebreakers. I took a leap of faith and bought it, and no bugs. Not one. Not a single bug, even though I played it on a machine too old to carry it. Think about that for a sec.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Again, another glowing report about the new Star Wars game.  Sorry to break your bubble, but it has a huge hurdle to overcome in that Bioware can't seem to break away from restrictive classes and levels.  We can only wait and see if Bioware can come up with a solution none of the others have found.  We are probably looking at another attempt to out Wow, Wow and we all know that everyone else has come up on the losing side of that.  Don't know why Bioware thinks it can use the same format and beat them. 

So I suggest taking a wait and see attitude on this game because I think most of you are setting yourselves up for major disappointment.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by Centhan

I'm sorry to throw in a bit more negativity into the thread (and trying to actually comment on the article instead of discussing the job history of the author), but I personally find nothing to be over excited about if this is the best that was observed from E3.
    1. SW-TOR:

I am way, way, WAY immune to being sucked into overly hyped games anymore. WAR, AOC, Tabula Rasa, Pirates of the Burning Sea and many others from recent history have cured me of that. Add to that, something that anything George Lucas is associated with, and you get a huge question mark from me. You can thank that opinion to any part of his career starting with the re-released Original Star Wars trilogy and forward (Indiana Jones 4 anyone…need I say more). Besides, even if I were head over heels in love with what little there is to know about this game, I don’t think we’re going to see this released until 2012. So, see you in 3+ years.
    2. Final Fantasy 14

Never was into anything Final Fantasy. Don’t like games with an “eastern” flavor. Never have, never will (sorry Aion). I know many do, I just don’t, sorry.
    3. Lego Rock Band

Don’t really know how to comment on this. Kiddie games are good for a good chuckle and a diversion (I even played Wizard101 for a bit, pretty fun), but were there any “real” games that got you excited while strolling the kiosks? Also, last I checked, this site was called MMOrpg. Is there anything “M” (the first M) about this game that may get the rest of us excited as well?
    4. Wii Sports Resort

Never was into consoles. The only two I ever owned were an Atari2600 and ColecoVision. How’s that for dating myself? Besides, a Wii can be a deadly projectile if it slips out of your hand.  Oh and again, anything “M” about this game?
    5. League of Legends

I actually had to look up what this was because I never even heard of it until now. Wonderful, more WarCraft. Guess there isn’t enough of that already. Also, OK, I have to say it yet again…anything “M” about this game either?

So these are the items that got you the most excited...the highlights, the things to watch, the things that stood out most in your mind, games that when released, we are going say “OH MY GOD, HOW AWESOME! I NEVER WANT TO SEE SUNLIGHT AGAIN!”
    I’m very sorry to report that the present is dismal and the future looks questionable for MMOs. Real shame.

Agreed. Not a single item on that list seems even remotely interesting to me.

@centhan: That's why there is a STRAP to put around your wrist on the Wii remote. That's why the console alerts you to that fact during just about every screen change. If you don't use it, you deserve what you get ;-)

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Again, another glowing report about the new Star Wars game.  Sorry to break your bubble, but it has a huge hurdle to overcome in that Bioware can't seem to break away from restrictive classes and levels.  We can only wait and see if Bioware can come up with a solution none of the others have found.  We are probably looking at another attempt to out Wow, Wow and we all know that everyone else has come up on the losing side of that.  Don't know why Bioware thinks it can use the same format and beat them. 
    So I suggest taking a wait and see attitude on this game because I think most of you are setting yourselves up for major disappointment.

What is it about classes and levels that is so dirty?  It's an RPG.  Almost every RPG with a few exceptions has classes and levels.  Maybe they should eliminate races and genders too and anything else that makes characters different from each other, and we can all go through the game as monochromatic carbon copies of each other.

• edda0199edda0199 Member Posts: 5

I'm sorry to throw in a bit more negativity into the thread , but I personally find nothing to be over excited about if this is the best that was observed from E3.

• KilmaulKilmaul Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Originally posted by edda0199

I'm sorry to throw in a bit more negativity into the thread , but I personally find nothing to be over excited about if this is the best that was observed from E3.

This post really game me a good laugh.  2009 called and wants it's thread back.