Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: The Smuggler Revealed!

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

The official Star Wars: The Old Republic website has been updated today with the latest addition to the class roster: The Smuggler.

The Smuggler is a Republic ranged damage class that wears light armor, and in order to make up for this, he  can take advantage of the environment by using a unique cover system. While cover is intended to be available for most classes, the Smuggler will find areas to take cover in that other classes may not. In addition, taking cover will allow the Smuggler to use special abilities.

Check out the full class reveal here.

Comments

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,830

What I really like about this are the dual pistols, taking cover to fight, and most of all you will be able to smuggle. 

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

500,000 Han Solo's HERE we come. Woot. Lol I jest but I can imagine this is going to be a VERY popular class non of the less.

I wonder if we get our own Wookie??

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by Isturi

500,000 Han Solo's HERE we come. Woot. Lol I jest but I can imagine this is going to be a VERY popular class non of the less.

Only if you rescue it from a slave ship.

• chriswsmchriswsm Member UncommonPosts: 383

Pah!  It would only shed fur all over my lovely fast discrete ship.

I used to visit this site a lot however in recent years it has become the home of negative forum posts, illogical opinions and tantrums so I visit less often.

Played or Beta'd: UO / DAOC / Horizons / EQ2 / DDO / EVE / Archlord / PirateKingsOnline / Tabula Rasa / LOTRO / AOC / Champions / Darkfall / Mortal Online / DCUO / Rift / STO / SWTOR / TSW

• JYCowboyJYCowboy Member UncommonPosts: 652

Hmm,

Smuggler?

Bounty Hunter.

Trooper.

Jedi (various classes)

Whats next?

Spy?

Ranger?

Scout?

Or how about:

Officer?

Politician?

Medic?  Gotta have a healer, right?

I would include Creature/Droid Handler but that seems to be inclusive to all already.

I guess these guys don't fall too far from the Star Wars tree in MMO design.

• DraccanDraccan Member Posts: 1,050
    Originally posted by JYCowboy

Hmm,
    Smuggler?
    Bounty Hunter.
    Trooper.
    Jedi (various classes)
    Whats next?
    Spy?
    Ranger?
    Scout?
    Or how about:
    Officer?
    Politician?
    Medic?  Gotta have a healer, right?
    I would include Creature/Droid Handler but that seems to be inclusive to all already.
    I guess these guys don't fall too far from the Star Wars tree in MMO design.

Healers will probaly be Jedis / Sith specced towards it... maybe they can spec to dps, tanking or healing.

This leave room for a pet class like Droid handlers/commanders/controllers or maybe some creature handler for the Sith faction.

Generally I doubt Bioware will leave much from the proven triangle dps, tank, healer - and I expect the classes to reflect that.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Exactly!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Now you too can have your very own* ICONIC STAR-WARSY experience!! Be JUST LIKE Han Solo, in an EPIC cartoon galaxy!!"

* note: by "very own" we mean just like everyone else's, since all story arcs and dialogue choices are pre-determined and gameplay is limited to our linear, corridor-styled, guided experience. But it's an RPG, right? You can PRETEND that you are having a unique experience, and that you are the chosen one fated to save the galaxy!!

• surfsk8snowsurfsk8snow Member Posts: 76

Does this guy realize that updates come out on friday? Every update has been released late on this site.

Cinori Aluben - CSM6 2011
    Fix The Little Things First!
    www.littlethingsfirst.com
    EVE-Online

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

If they have a healer class I will lose what little faith I had left in this game.

please god no...

its pretty inebitable though was reading an interview where they where saying they want to have the typical types of mmo gameplay, tank, dps etc.

woe is me.

My blog: image

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,112
    Originally posted by surfsk8snow

Does this guy realize that updates come out on friday? Every update has been released late on this site.

Maybe he has other games to update besides just TOR?

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448

Does this mean that there will be space travel/combat? I can't see a smuggler class being very fun if they can't smuggle through space.

That last paragraph of the description on the main site made me vomit a little in my mouth though. They talk of smugglers as one single entity incapable of making their own decisions. "Oh yeah, smugglers joined the Republic". I mean come on, I really thought a Bioware game would allow more choice than that. What is with these game companies constantly stuffing ficticious limitations down our throats?

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• Riesig09Riesig09 Member Posts: 15
    Originally posted by Consensus

If they have a healer class I will lose what little faith I had left in this game.
    please god no...
    its pretty inebitable though was reading an interview where they where saying they want to have the typical types of mmo gameplay, tank, dps etc.
    woe is me.

It would be nice if all MMOs would just kill the idea of a dedicated healing class and give everyone the ability to heal in some manner, like Mythic said they would with WAR (And ended up making dedicated healers anyway).

• ShadowsladyShadowslady Member UncommonPosts: 148

DROOL

Shadowlord Sage
    CmdrAkbar

Napa Valley, UO, 1997.

• mOoKmOoK Member Posts: 26
    Originally posted by Wharg0ul

Exactly!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Now you too can have your very own* ICONIC STAR-WARSY experience!! Be JUST LIKE Han Solo, in an EPIC cartoon galaxy!!"

* note: by "very own" we mean just like everyone else's, since all story arcs and dialogue choices are pre-determined and gameplay is limited to our linear, corridor-styled, guided experience. But it's an RPG, right? You can PRETEND that you are having a unique experience, and that you are the chosen one fated to save the galaxy!!

It seems to me, from the interview I just read, that they are trying very much to be all things to all people.

I am worried that this will be watered down. RPG player, MMO players, FPS players, strategy player, D&D players, raiders, book readers, star wars fans will all be taken care of in this online utopia.

Ivan the Pinko-commie-hippie and John the capitalist pig-dog-yankee-blue-jeans-cowboy will love this same game.

Seems to good to be true.

• LordApophisLordApophis Member Posts: 10

I wonder why Smugglers aren’t part of a neutral or third faction, much like the fringe faction in the Star Wars Miniatures game?

I know this is based on Han Solo but a smuggler, or a bounty hunter for that matter is normally motivated by self interest and will chose a side based on what every that reason is.  Often even switching sides.

Originally posted by LordApophis

I wonder why Smugglers aren’t part of a neutral or third faction, much like the fringe faction in the Star Wars Miniatures game?
    I know this is based on Han Solo but a smuggler, or a bounty hunter for that matter is normally motivated by self interest and will chose a side based on what every that reason is.  Often even switching sides.

Because LEC decided that a third faction would confuse kiddies.  They want it simple to Two factions much like Good vs. Evil.  This allows them to continue mimicing "other games" in formula.  They also feel that this follows the Star Wars formula of dualality expressed in George's work.  This very concept is why the Underworld was abandoned in SWG.  Do I support it?

Hell No, as it doesn't support the full and rich world we want represented.  Give da' Hutt his props.

Which further confuses me, because they keep talking about your actions determining your path. Does this mean we have a Sith Empire v.s. Republic faction independent of a Good v.s. Evil faction?

If so this makes the whole Jedi v.s Sith argument simply a difference of politcal views.  Its less a question of Good v Evil and more a question of how you get there.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Here we go again.  Bioware at it's worst.  Not only do we have restrictive classes and levels, but smuggler's only on the republic side?  You mean I can't play a bad smuggler?  LOL.

My original thought that this would be a jedi fest just keeps getting reinforced everytime they release more information on this game.

I agree with the responder above, soon as we see the healer class come out, you will see a huge ROFL from many of us.

I get the impression there would be a dark equilivent to the smuggler.  It would be daft and unbalanced not to.

I am sure this will be cleared up in the near future. 

As for pure healers - I hope not.  Healing as some kind of limited skill is fair enough but a full blown cleric style healer would seem out of context in this scenario.

I used to visit this site a lot however in recent years it has become the home of negative forum posts, illogical opinions and tantrums so I visit less often.

Played or Beta'd: UO / DAOC / Horizons / EQ2 / DDO / EVE / Archlord / PirateKingsOnline / Tabula Rasa / LOTRO / AOC / Champions / Darkfall / Mortal Online / DCUO / Rift / STO / SWTOR / TSW

Originally posted by chriswsm

I get the impression there would be a dark equilivent to the smuggler.  It would be daft and unbalanced not to.
    I am sure this will be cleared up in the near future. 

As for pure healers - I hope not.  Healing as some kind of limited skill is fair enough but a full blown cleric style healer would seem out of context in this scenario.

I would think the Bounty Hunter class would be the Equivalent or “mirror” of the Smuggler. They should be well equipped for stealth, reconnaissance, smuggling and anything else along those lines.

As far as a healing class, imo the only thing that would make any sense would be a Force Witch or Wild Force User as a sub-class or trainable skill? This would give them access to some utilitarian force powers but not too powerful.

How they will deal with "Rezes" is another question all together.  I would not want to have to be the one to deal with that.  They could go with a "clone"  aproach like Eve.  As long as they dont do the LOTRO thing and say you were not killed by those 20 goblins beating on you.  You were simply demoralised.  HAHAHAHA

Agreed, however I think it would make more sense to allow either class to follow either side seeing they are not involved directly in the confrontation and their intentions are self focussed.

kk,

I didn't notice that from the write up before.

So is this the logic we are discussing here?

Jedi vs. Sith

Smuggler vs. Bounty Hunter

Trooper vs.  ???

• koopa11988koopa11988 Member Posts: 68

I dont know why everyone is quick to make a judgement against healer classes. I've only played WoW, AoC, and WAR for any decent amount of time, but I played a priest on WoW, a Tempest of Set in AoC, and a Warrior Priest in WAR. I enjoyed all three of them - especially the warrior priest, which I thought was the best designed class in any class-based game I've played (mechanics wise).

It just that dedicated healer classes dont seem to fit in the genre IMO.  I have nothing against healers (I am minstral in LOTRO, Bear Shaman in AOC, Cleric in DDO)

I guess you could have a dedicated healer droid or healing as a skill.  But a full time healer just doesnt sound quite right to me.

• Threats99Threats99 Member Posts: 34

I don't think the smuggler will be the Republic's Ranged DPS class as this post states. From reading the class description it sounds like the smuggler will likely be a supportive class, or maybe a Support/DPS hybrid.

Not to mention it has already been stated that the Ranged DPS class for the Republic will be the Trooper.

"The Trooper has evolved over time since that first playtest, but at the core he remains the same: a dedicated soldier who believes in military precision, tactical superiority and above all, a whole lot of firepower. With his impressive arsenal of assault rifles and grenades, the Trooper is the best ranged damage dealer the Republic has to offer"

Excerpt taken from the Developer Blog Happiness is a Warm Gun

www.swtor.com/news/article/20090605_002