Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Lebow: Top 5 Exciting Things From E3

DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

Jess Lebow's column is back online after a one week break for E3 and today he counts down the five most exciting things he saw last week in Los Angeles. 

As if I needed another reason to be excited by a Bioware MMO—SWTOR is going to be fully voiced. Some of you may be saying, “Yeah, so what?” I’ll tell you what. Having a fully voiced MMO brings the genre one step closer to complete immersion. Sure, there have been a lot of badly voiced games, but have faith. This is Bioware we’re talking about.

There are two things that I know when I buy a Bioware game—I’m going to get a polished, well-developed gaming experience, and there is going to be a focus on good storytelling. Add that to one of my favorite IPs of all time, include the knowledge that they are going to take it to the next level by making it fully voiced, and I think we’re talking about a winner here. As someone who has spent days upon days in the recording studio, listening to actors read lines from a script, let me tell you, this represents a massive commitment on the part of the developer. That level of dedication to a property is certainly the first big step toward making a good game. And I’m excited about it.

Read more here.

Dana Massey
Formerly of MMORPG.com
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Comments

• SupersarkSupersark Member Posts: 3

"There are two things that I know when I buy a Bioware game—I’m going to get a polished, well-developed gaming experience, and there is going to be a focus on good storytelling."

This sounds a lot like a company I use to know by the name of Blizzard.  I hope Bioware never lets success go to their head like Blizzard did.  They've since let the polished part go to heck with their increasingly horrible and too widely spread out expansion packs, and they have dropped giving a crud about the incredible stories of the Warcraft RTS series.

• TuxedoSLYTuxedoSLY Ultima Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 93

Its so fashionable to take shots at Blizzard and Warcraft and accuse them of being less than spectacular, but the fact that so many people play WoW speaks volumes. And I've played just about every MMO out there and while WoW might not have every single thing right in a virtual world I want to live in, their game sure hasn't feel like its "gone to heck" to me. It remains one of the most enjoyable MMOs that FEELS like an MMO, and not some single player instance fest, or thrown together world from some indie company that only gets attention because its an under dog and people looooove to bash the people on top.

But, just an opinion. I've been wrong before.

As for the E3 thing, I was excited for KotOR, but the more I read on it the more I fear its going to be some kind of linear online RPG, something akin to Gears of War (playable with friends, awesome game, but lacking any kind of social aspect) as opposed to a full fledged MASSIVE world.

• Reborn17Reborn17 Member Posts: 414

"Okay, so yes, I did some writing for this game, and yes, it’s a little bit of poor form to be metaphorically tooting my own horn, but I gotta tell you, this is a fun game."

Credibility...fading...

"The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion." -Edmund Burke

Who will rise up for me against the evildoers? or who will stand up for me against the workers of iniquity?"
    (Psalm 94:16)

• MidnitteMidnitte Member Posts: 510

Honestly TOR only looks a bit interesting, Global Agenda is the step I want to see MMOs take. When the world is fully dynamic and depends on players while characters themselves have variable in terms of specialization and class doesn't automatically mean your destined for a single role.

Also Lebow's The Fighters book was amazing. 3:

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

"If you don’t like social gaming, well, then I guess you’re just not invited to the party."

Funny coming from a guy who list SW:ToR as his number one pick.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• VyavaVyava Member Posts: 893
    Originally posted by zymurgeist

Originally posted by Reborn17

"Okay, so yes, I did some writing for this game, and yes, it’s a little bit of poor form to be metaphorically tooting my own horn, but I gotta tell you, this is a fun game."
    Credibility...fading...

Full disclosure increases credibilty.

Proper disclosure is done in a separated notion from the body of an article. Half hiding the the disclosure is improper. 

• DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Vyava

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Originally posted by Reborn17

Credibility...fading...

Full disclosure increases credibilty.

Proper disclosure is done in a separated notion from the body of an article. Half hiding the the disclosure is improper. 

It's an editorial. If this had been a review or something, I'd agree with you, but by defnition this is all fully his opinion. I don't think we need to post disclaimers.

With the number of jobs people have these days, especially those who dabble in freelance, the entire site would have to be a disclaimer. Everyone's worked with someone somewhere it seems.

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com
    Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

• VyavaVyava Member Posts: 893
    Originally posted by Dana It's an editorial. If this had been a review or something, I'd agree with you, but by defnition this is all fully his opinion. I don't think we need to post disclaimers.

With the number of jobs people have these days, especially those who dabble in freelance, the entire site would have to be a disclaimer. Everyone's worked with someone somewhere it seems.

The author obviously knew they had to disclose the information and did so, but poorly. For some odd reason internet journalism seems to have taken on a double standard compared to other mediums. As a for profit company publishing editorials and articles the responsibility falls onto MMORPG.com.

Perhaps all editorials should have a generic and proper disclaimer. It may seems like playing overly safe, but without it is looks as though MMORPG is willing to publish anything without verification or other efforts. We might as well jsut read press releases then and not exect any real thrid party information, just advertising.

Without disclosure of at least covering you bum the wrong positive article about a flop of a game and all credibility might slip away.

Edit: these forums do not play well with Chrome.

• CenthanCenthan Member Posts: 483

I'm sorry to throw in a bit more negativity into the thread (and trying to actually comment on the article instead of discussing the job history of the author), but I personally find nothing to be over excited about if this is the best that was observed from E3.

1. SW-TOR:

I am way, way, WAY immune to being sucked into overly hyped games anymore. WAR, AOC, Tabula Rasa, Pirates of the Burning Sea and many others from recent history have cured me of that. Add to that, something that anything George Lucas is associated with, and you get a huge question mark from me. You can thank that opinion to any part of his career starting with the re-released Original Star Wars trilogy and forward (Indiana Jones 4 anyone…need I say more). Besides, even if I were head over heels in love with what little there is to know about this game, I don’t think we’re going to see this released until 2012. So, see you in 3+ years.

2. Final Fantasy 14

Never was into anything Final Fantasy. Don’t like games with an “eastern” flavor. Never have, never will (sorry Aion). I know many do, I just don’t, sorry.

3. Lego Rock Band

Don’t really know how to comment on this. Kiddie games are good for a good chuckle and a diversion (I even played Wizard101 for a bit, pretty fun), but were there any “real” games that got you excited while strolling the kiosks? Also, last I checked, this site was called MMOrpg. Is there anything “M” (the first M) about this game that may get the rest of us excited as well?

4. Wii Sports Resort

Never was into consoles. The only two I ever owned were an Atari2600 and ColecoVision. How’s that for dating myself? Besides, a Wii can be a deadly projectile if it slips out of your hand.  Oh and again, anything “M” about this game?

5. League of Legends

I actually had to look up what this was because I never even heard of it until now. Wonderful, more WarCraft. Guess there isn’t enough of that already. Also, OK, I have to say it yet again…anything “M” about this game either?

So these are the items that got you the most excited...the highlights, the things to watch, the things that stood out most in your mind, games that when released, we are going say “OH MY GOD, HOW AWESOME! I NEVER WANT TO SEE SUNLIGHT AGAIN!”

I’m very sorry to report that the present is dismal and the future looks questionable for MMOs. Real shame.

• cerebrixcerebrix Member UncommonPosts: 566

nice editorial.

but THAT yellow font with that white background on the teaser image on the front page is inducing me to kick puppies.

Games i'm playing right now...

"In short, I thought NGE was a very bad idea" - Raph Koster talking about NGE on his blog at raphkoster.com

• KrayzjoelKrayzjoel Member Posts: 906

I thought E3 in general was rather bland. The only thing I was intrested in was SW:TOR. Too many game companies skipped out.

Played : WOW, LOTRO, COH/COV, EQ2, SWG, and WAR.
    Playing EVE Online and AOC.
    Wtg for SW:TOR and WOD

• WycliffeWycliffe Member Posts: 354

Huh, League of Legends. I'll have to look into that; i've spent more time playing DotA than WC3 itself.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by TuxedoSLY

Its so fashionable to take shots at Blizzard and Warcraft and accuse them of being less than spectacular, but the fact that so many people play WoW speaks volumes. And I've played just about every MMO out there and while WoW might not have every single thing right in a virtual world I want to live in, their game sure hasn't feel like its "gone to heck" to me. It remains one of the most enjoyable MMOs that FEELS like an MMO, and not some single player instance fest, or thrown together world from some indie company that only gets attention because its an under dog and people looooove to bash the people on top.

But, just an opinion. I've been wrong before.

The point is, that he is right.

What is left of the once so great Blizzard... is now a mere shadow. They do have turned into a money hungry giant, bleeding their customers dry to the last cent, by giving them the absolute minimum as possible for maximum profit.

Seriously,

With their amount of subscribers, the raking in such a mindboggling amount of money each month on subs alone, it's not even funny.

Allocating resources to updates and expansion packs shouldn't be an issue at all at Blizzard HQ.

They could have completely oblitterated the competition by launching true mindblowing free updates and expansion packs!

- Player Housing could have been in the game by now.

- A lot lot more character customisation could have been in the game by now.

- They could have easily added at least 2 or 3 more Hero Classes with the latest expansion cap, so they didn't have to murder their own lore and having the servers being overrun by thousands of Death Knights!

Just some examples out of the top of my head.

Instead, Blizzard just allocates the minimum amount of resources, takes TWICE as long to launch an expansion pack and then delivers the minimum as possible for maximum profit.

Blizzard feels they are in a comfortable position, comfortable enough to exploit their position to the maximum.

Fact is, that they turned themselves into a ticking Time Bomb and the bomb will go off the moment a credible developer finally releases a MMO of enough quality that's finally going to make a serious dent!

And frankly, I cannot wait for this to happen. As after all the dumbed down pieces of crap that have been launched lately, I am just dying to see Blizzard finally go FLAT on their faces!

It's time for some true innovation in this genre!

• DelanorDelanor Member Posts: 659

E3 must have been a boring event judging from this editorial.

--
    Delanor

• HituroHituro Member Posts: 37

I'd say E3 was bland in the sense of MMORPGs this year.  I was kind of surprised that Square-Enix was doing another FF Online.  I just kind of feel like now no one will want to play the old one and it will become completely forgotten.  I just put all that time into that game and now a new FF Online comes out!  But in a way I'm kind of happy because if they really do make it a lot more casual and not as party strict as FF11 was than great.  But I don't want it to be watered down hand holding.

As far as MMOs this year I'm really not looking at too much, a lot of stuff coming out is very over hyped.  And although I want to play ToR, I can't help but be cautious because a lot of games I thought were going to be golden, have been huge let downs.  MMOs need to break the mold already, I think we're all getting tired of the same game in a different box.

Other than that, E3 this year did have some nice console news, but a lot of it was games I already knew a lot about that are coming out soon.  But I'd say that the biggest things of E3 for me, were the 2 new mario games coming out, Castlevania, maybe the new metroid (kinda iffy on that one), and I dunno about the new Zelda game... just seems like Miyamoto is losing his mind in his aging, or he's just trying too hard to make something different.  The new full body sensor camera for the 360 was cool though.  It's a step towards the future of gaming.  I just can't wait for Ghostbusters next week XD

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Martie

Whta the hell are you on about????  Blizzard dont add shit just for the sake of it unlike many other games.  Blizzard have stated many times what is on their prioroty list and what is not, and what is maybe for the future.  When blizzra do something they dont do it half assed and promise the world and hype.  They release products that are world class polished and executed its a shame that you cant see past your own ass to see it.  They have all ready oblitereated the competition with expansions and updates, so again I dotn know what the hell you are talking about.  TBC and WOTLK are the fastest selling pc games of all time.  So yes again get a grip.  It speaks volumes of you when all you say is you hope blizzard fail and the crash.

Ahh come on! Give me a break. Sure if you have that many subs, it's not hard to sell a high volume of expansion boxes. But when you look at the number of subs they claim to have and the amount of expansion boxes they have sold. Then it's less then 25% of their subscribers that ever bothered to buy one of their expansions. Not that of a success at all, compaired to other MMO's, where the percentage ratio is much much higher!

And when you trully look at the amount of money and resources Blizzard has available, then you darn well know they can do a lot better then what they are doing now.

And the expansions weren't all that polished at all. They came with plenty enough issues that needed (hot)fixing after each expansion launch. Nothing different then with other MMO's. Like LOTRO's Mines of Moria, wich kicked Blizzard's teeth in when it comes to being awarded for best expansion 2008!

And what priorities?? They have added the same old same old with each of their two expansions.

I mean... with the amount of money and resources they have. How hard is it to add some more faces and hair options to the game?? So there aren't a ton of other clones of you running around on the same server. After more then 4 years they have done jack sjit when it comes to that! While people have been complaining about that asking for more customisation since the game launched!

Just as an example tho.

And the only reason why I want to see WoW going down, is because it's NEEDED to get the MMO genre to move forward!

Cheers

• HaradeasHaradeas Member UncommonPosts: 252

#4: Wii Sports Resort, I am doing 15 years of atletics now on top lvl, and I really hate to see this. It gives the people a false impression that they actually are doing somthing on sports, yet like many researches have proved you are doing just nothing... its like sitting and eating watching tv.

meh just wanted to drop these 2 cents :p

• Jefferson81Jefferson81 Member Posts: 730

How did Final Fantasy XI hurt you to the core?

And E3 failed because the company behind E3 got greedy and charged way too much money.

Greed isn't always good.

• triprunnertriprunner Member Posts: 169

Only one MMO got Jess excited? What about Heroes of Telara with dynamic on the fly server content changes? Or APB a GTA like MMO with beyond awesome character customization options?

What about other BioWare games like Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age? BioWare's trifecta (ME2, DA:O, Sw:TOR) is going to elevate this studio to a serious Blizzard ass kicker and that's the most clear message i got from this year's E3.

• TeimanTeiman Member Posts: 1,319

"There are two things that I know when I buy a Bioware game—I’m going to get a polished, well-developed gaming experience, and there is going to be a focus on good storytelling."

Are we talking about Obsidiam here? the authors of KOTOR2? 

BioWare is the author of the 20 hours long "pseudo-Star Wars"  Mass Effect, and the dumbed down  for consoles clone of system shock called  "Bioshock".  The Bioware guys are very good developers, but his games are more about combat, and a good engine, than writting.   We will probably get polish, that is the next best thing as good writting. 

• NovaRyuNovaRyu Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Originally posted by Jefferson81  
    How did Final Fantasy XI hurt you to the core?

I was wondering the same thing. When one of the greatest mmo's ever made (at the very least in terms of story and community) hurts you to the core its hard to take the rest of what you say too seriously. Maybe your looking for more of a single player game that you can chat with other people on?

• ericbelserericbelser Member Posts: 783
    Originally posted by Centhan

I'm sorry to throw in a bit more negativity into the thread (and trying to actually comment on the article instead of discussing the job history of the author), but I personally find nothing to be over excited about if this is the best that was observed from E3.

This, definately this.

I hope you got paid to go - because if I came away from trade show and that was all I had to be "excited" about, I'd be pretty sure I wasted my weekend.

I really hope there was better out there and the author just missed it or overlooked it, otherwise the great MMO slump will continue.

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262
    Originally posted by Teiman

Are we talking about Obsidiam here? the authors of KOTOR2? 

BioWare is the author of the 20 hours long "pseudo-Star Wars"  Mass Effect, and the dumbed down  for consoles clone of system shock called  "Bioshock".  The Bioware guys are very good developers, but his games are more about combat, and a good engine, than writting.   We will probably get polish, that is the next best thing as good writting. 

No we arent talking about Obsidian, the creators of KOTOR 2, we are talking about Bioware, who created KOTOR 1, you know the RPG that was game of the year when it came out?

Also Bioware has nothing to do with "Bioshock" they were in no way involved with its deveolpment, just because they both have "Bio" in their names doesnt mean they are connected.

Also what are you talking about, have you ever played KOTOR 1? That has some of the best writing ever, the whole story arc was written by "Drew K." The Author of the critically acclaimed "Darth Bane" Novels which were new york times best sellers. So no we will get story first, not last.

-Jive

• TeimanTeiman Member Posts: 1,319
    Originally posted by jiveturkey12

Also what are you talking about, have you ever played KOTOR 1? That has some of the best writing ever, the whole story arc was written by "Drew K." The Author of the critically acclaimed "Darth Bane" Novels which were new york times best sellers. So no we will get story first, not last.

Yes, I have.  The part of Tantoine was interesting, and the part on Dantoine.  It was a damn good game at the time. 

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

I think very few people would agree with wii resort and especially lego rockband as being the top five things shown from E3. I don't buy this article at all. Would have been more interested to read about top five mmo news from E3 as this is mmorpg.com