Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Oh snAp, DDO goes Free To Play!

1468910

Comments

  • seraphymseraphym BangorPosts: 16Member

    Followed this story with interest, as I was a DDO subscriber for 6 months after launch but just didnt like the setting at all.

    Anyhoo, over at Kotaku there was this:

    http://kotaku.com/5285263/atari-to-release-neverwinter-nights-mmo

    Now admittedly its a rumour, but IF its true then surely a pre emptive move to prevent migration (thats making another assumption, that people would move) from DDO to NWN?

    Any thoughts?

    As for the OP I think DDO going "free" is a nice idea, I would certainly play it again and no doubt cough up for some of the premium stuff ie Monk class FTW! Lets hope it comes to Europe . .

    image

  • levsixlevsix Philadelphia, PAPosts: 363Member

    What happens if I already have 8 high level characters and log in to play for free? Do they get locked? 

    I don't know, as long as subscribing gives you all that you currently get, for paying, that is fine. The point system is crap for old subscribers. Many of us ran this content to get favor in the first place. You can NOT get points/favor by running the content again but someone who is new is obviously at a great advantage for earning points. Wow, let's run this quest for the 3294239043209th time!

    They announced last year they would not go microtransaction on DDO yet they just announced that they have been working on it for a year. This game has many GREAT aspects but I have never been a fan of Turbine or their lack of transparency (honesty).

     

    Have a winner and don't go on a game over! Does your avatar make you powerful in real life? Check out the Mystical Enders gaming community. www.mysticalenders.com

  • moorewrmoorewr Largo, FLPosts: 72Member
    Originally posted by levsix


    What happens if I already have 8 high level characters and log in to play for free? Do they get locked? 
    I don't know, as long as subscribing gives you all that you currently get, for paying, that is fine. The point system is crap for old subscribers. Many of us ran this content to get favor in the first place. You can NOT get points/favor by running the content again but someone who is new is obviously at a great advantage for earning points. Wow, let's run this quest for the 3294239043209th time!
    They announced last year they would not go microtransaction on DDO yet they just announced that they have been working on it for a year. This game has many GREAT aspects but I have never been a fan of Turbine or their lack of transparency (honesty).
     

     

    From what I understand you will be able to choose which two characters to unlock, and buy additional character slots with a one time charge.

    There's a beta, but it is only open to us so-called "VIPs." Have you ever been to a VIP lounge where they refuse to serve you any drinks? That's what being a VIP feels like in a Turbine game.

    My bottom line: this is a hail mary to keep the game populated and profitable. It could be worth it for us legacy playesr if it brings more notice to the game, and thus bring more resources to the game. Or what we have plus the five areas in Mod 9 could be it.. in which case I could turn into a Free to Not Play player before the the year is out.

  • SwampRobSwampRob Halifax, NSPosts: 1,008Member

    To AgtSmith:  Seriously, lay off the DOOM pills.   Geez, every post of yours....

    The thing is, the game is going to be free!   I am certainly going to give it a try, and encourage others to do so.   I've nothing to lose by giving it a shot and making my own decisions.   Will it hook me or others?   That remains to be seen.   But AgtSmith's whole purpose seems to be "It's Dead!  Don't go near it!  Don't touch it!"      

    Why the hell not?

  • moorewrmoorewr Largo, FLPosts: 72Member
    Originally posted by SwampRob


    To AgtSmith:  Seriously, lay off the DOOM pills.   Geez, every post of yours....
    The thing is, the game is going to be free!   I am certainly going to give it a try, and encourage others to do so.   I've nothing to lose by giving it a shot and making my own decisions.   Will it hook me or others?   That remains to be seen.   But AgtSmith's whole purpose seems to be "It's Dead!  Don't go near it!  Don't touch it!"      
    Why the hell not?

     

    His grievance certainly seems personal. Very strange.

     

  • AgtSmithAgtSmith Sarasota, FLPosts: 1,498Member

    I didn't encourage or discourage people from playing, I don't much care what folks do in that regard.  As a topic of conversation it is worth countering those who continue to buy the spin and marketing dribble time and time again.

    --------------------------------
    Achiever 60.00%, Socializer 53.00%, Killer 47.00%, Explorer 40.00%
    Intel Core i7 Quad, Intel X58 SLi, 6G Corsair XMS DDR3, Intel X-25 SSD, 3 WD Velociraptor SATA SuperTrak SAS EX8650 Array, OCZ 1250W PS, GTX 295, xFi, 32" 1080p LCD

  • TheSkimDotNetTheSkimDotNet Pittsburgh, INPosts: 274Member

    Its definently a solid idea for making paying customers feel like there is more then them and 5 buddies. There servers will be full and it will make everyone happy and definently end up helping the company maybe keep this mmo alive.

    image
  • airheadairhead Atlanta, GAPosts: 718Member Common

    Where do I sign up ?!!!    Definitely good news.

    We (myself and 3 sons) tried out the demo... it was ok. Was it worth 60/mo?  hell no.

    Will we all 4 play on day one of F2P?  hell yes.

    Might even throw them some money later on. An inspired move Turbine... i might even reactivate lotro to show support.

  • MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Newport News, VAPosts: 5,615Member
    Originally posted by AgtSmith


    I didn't encourage or discourage people from playing, I don't much care what folks do in that regard.  As a topic of conversation it is worth countering those who continue to buy the spin and marketing dribble time and time again.

     

     

    What about the crazy hat conspiracy theories that turbines real goal is to kill your dog?

     



    Who will defend us from that?

     

    ----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

    "No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

    "Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

    How are you?" -Me

  • AgtSmithAgtSmith Sarasota, FLPosts: 1,498Member

    Obviously this has been in the works since before MOD8 went live, that is why Korthos was put in (to support the small initial download and play while the rest downloads thing that is mentioned in the F2P/RMT thing).  But go right on ignoring what is plainly obvious, after all, it is far easier to flame someone speaking the truth than to confront your own denial.

    --------------------------------
    Achiever 60.00%, Socializer 53.00%, Killer 47.00%, Explorer 40.00%
    Intel Core i7 Quad, Intel X58 SLi, 6G Corsair XMS DDR3, Intel X-25 SSD, 3 WD Velociraptor SATA SuperTrak SAS EX8650 Array, OCZ 1250W PS, GTX 295, xFi, 32" 1080p LCD

  • TormDKTormDK Nykoebing FalsterPosts: 100Member

     Awe, puppy eyes!

    Personally, with 4E Eberron books comming out shortly, I would like them to redo the thing to the 4E way of playing while they are at it :P

    3.5E is long gone.

  • codejackcodejack Chattanooga, TNPosts: 208Member

    Well, the playerbase is split: Half think it's a great idea that will bring in new subscribers and keep the game going, and the other half think it's a great idea that will finally kill the game so we can get a decent company to make a D&D MMO while the ham-fisted morons running turbine can go work for microsoft in the bug-making division.

     

    I'm in the 2nd half.

  • docminusdocminus J.Posts: 717Member

    no matter if good or bad -

    as usual (and mentioned a few times in this thread):

    the EU side is being SCREWED OVER (sorry for language). Codemaster always goes their own way, but in the end have to bow to the originator (think LOTRO and life-time sub). Guess Codies were surprised by this as well and don't want to do it, but will have to. Heck, if it is for free and you don't need a credit card, there is no problem playing the US-version from europe. The only hinder so far was that Turbine didn't allow a non-US credit card. Exceptions are game-time cards bought via the net.

    So what will happen? EU players who want to test or don't have high-level chars will just go and play on US side., Codies won't receive new players, Codies has to rethink their business model. Heck, they have experience with Archlord.....

    Gosh, i am so tired of this EU/US split. No matter what you want to think about SOE, but they at least don't do shit like this.

     

    imageimage

  • _Shadowmage_Shadowmage MelbournePosts: 1,459Member


    Originally posted by AgtSmith
    ROFL @ the DDO fans for their refusal to acknowledge the clear reality of the situation.  DDO didn't fail as an MMO because it had the wrong pricing model it failed because it is not a good MMO, period. 

    Well not having played it I cant comment on whether or not its a good MMO. But not having played it - I can state that for me and the 5 guys I played D&D 2nd ed & Neverwinter nights with - we choose not to play because we had no interest in paying for a game (D&D) we could already play for free online (Neverwinternights).

    Having just seen this announcement and as we are looking for something else to play - this game would be right up our alley.

  • RokurgeptaRokurgepta wallington, NJPosts: 2,136Member
    Originally posted by _Shadowmage


     

    Originally posted by AgtSmith

    ROFL @ the DDO fans for their refusal to acknowledge the clear reality of the situation.  DDO didn't fail as an MMO because it had the wrong pricing model it failed because it is not a good MMO, period. 


    Well not having played it I cant comment on whether or not its a good MMO. But not having played it - I can state that for me and the 5 guys I played D&D 2nd ed & Neverwinter nights with - we choose not to play because we had no interest in paying for a game (D&D) we could already play for free online (Neverwinternights).



    Having just seen this announcement and as we are looking for something else to play - this game would be right up our alley.

     

    But are you and your friends the type who will pay to use micro transactions or become paying members if you like the game?

  • _Shadowmage_Shadowmage MelbournePosts: 1,459Member


    Originally posted by Rokurgepta
    But are you and your friends the type who will pay to use micro transactions or become paying members if you like the game?

    Paying members - unlikely. RMT - especially content most likely if we enjoy the game. We played Guild Wars for 2 years, and bought all the expansions. So thats not really different to buying a group of dungeons to play.

    For us - the issue is we get together once a fortnight to game - so a monthly fee MMO is a bit pricey for most (who dont play a MMO outside that) for 8-10 hours a month. Under this model however - if you pay a once off fee for a class, race and a few other bits and pieces its no different to buying Diablo3 to play , or Guild Wars. Then as we play through the game we would pay to unlock different areas to explore.

    It depends of course on the price, but this F2P + some $ suits us better for our fortnightly gaming than a full subscription MMO. So as long as we enjoy the game - no reason we wouldnt.
  • _Shadowmage_Shadowmage MelbournePosts: 1,459Member

    It just depends if there are enough players like me to make a difference for DDO.

    There wasnt for Tabula Rasa - look where that ended up.

  • Dr.RockDr.Rock SouthcoastPosts: 603Member
    Originally posted by _Shadowmage

    Well not having played it I cant comment on whether or not its a good MMO. But not having played it - I can state that for me and the 5 guys I played D&D 2nd ed & Neverwinter nights with - we choose not to play because we had no interest in paying for a game (D&D) we could already play for free online (Neverwinternights).



    Having just seen this announcement and as we are looking for something else to play - this game would be right up our alley.



     

    This is an excellent way to play DDO, there is nothing like the first time through a quest with a group of friends, it is exactly the PnP experience (with the obvious limitations of an AI DM) I believe they were trying to replicate.

  • LilianeLiliane NonePosts: 591Member

    It's funny how everyone says free to play. Is CS (Cash Shop) system really free to play?

    I have played CS system games before and I would not call it good way to make games for players. Mostly because CS system, the game play for player is gimped. Meaning that many games features are limited for free players and CS is required to enjoy the game fully. So, in the end P2P is better choise.

    http://www.ddo.com/vip

    DDO is trying to have P2P and CS system in same game. This cause other problems, like what's the main thing in P2P systems?

    - P2P is fair to everyone, everyone gets same content same ways.

    - Every player who has reach higherst level in P2P game has earned they accomplishment

    So, when You allow in same server someone to use CS, You lower the accomplishment of these players. They feel like they work is notthing if someone can just buy they way up. So so much from been fair. Why would anyone anymore even play monthly fee. CS systems games, the company allways says CS doesn't provide advances over other players, but so far they allways have. Simple reason is, players don't buy from CS stuff if it's not worth of buying.

     

    So, DDO's free to play was end of they P2P side, not because it's not better, but because CS is destroying it, because they can't exist both in same time in same game. it just doesn't work, because there is conflict between why to use them in first place.

     

    MMORPG.COM has worst forum editor ever exists

  • Dr.RockDr.Rock SouthcoastPosts: 603Member
    Originally posted by Liliane


    It's funny how everyone says free to play. Is CS (Cash Shop) system really free to play?

    Yes it is, you can play some of the game without paying anything, which makes it free. Now if you were to say GW was not F2P then you would be correct as there is always a box purchase required to get to any of the content.

    I understand your concerns with regard to CS and the possible unfair advantages. Only time will tell how well they balanced the VIP/CS payment model by the number of players and associated revenue.

  • DiviousDivious GuadalajaraPosts: 37Member
    Originally posted by moorewr

    Originally posted by SwampRob


    To AgtSmith:  Seriously, lay off the DOOM pills.   Geez, every post of yours....
    The thing is, the game is going to be free!   I am certainly going to give it a try, and encourage others to do so.   I've nothing to lose by giving it a shot and making my own decisions.   Will it hook me or others?   That remains to be seen.   But AgtSmith's whole purpose seems to be "It's Dead!  Don't go near it!  Don't touch it!"      
    Why the hell not?

     

    His grievance certainly seems personal. Very strange.

     

    Guys your missing the big picture here, and arguing about the color while blindfolded...

    MONEY is the key to all of this, as always, and yeah something is fishy about it..

  • AgtSmithAgtSmith Sarasota, FLPosts: 1,498Member
    Originally posted by Dr.Rock



    I understand your concerns with regard to CS and the possible unfair advantages. Only time will tell how well they balanced the VIP/CS payment model by the number of players and associated revenue.

     

    Yes, time will tell - but we already know from info they have released about some severely game altering concessions for the cash shop already like buying supplies on the fly in a dungeon and buying resurrections, both of which severely alter play and the 'integrity' of the game which has been that you complete a mission without wiping or take a big hit (and many missions are auto fail if you wipe).  As someone else said, who will buy stuff if it isn't key stuff, if it isn't crucial?  Of course nobody will, or few will - so the idea of this hybrid system is just silly and I think highlights the likelihood of other motives like I have mentioned.

     

    And for the delusional fanboys flaming some of us for calling out turbine for their blatent lies and deceipt and for, essentially, scamming the players keeping DDO afloat all this time ...



    "We know the recent job listing has caused a bit of a stir, but please be aware that this posting is for an unannounced future project. We appreciate the thoughts and feedback on both sides thus far."  - Sapience



    Story at Massively



    Was Sapience lying - seems so - but could this indicate waht I have been saying that this RMT DDO is about a new project and not about DDO at all - testbed.

    --------------------------------
    Achiever 60.00%, Socializer 53.00%, Killer 47.00%, Explorer 40.00%
    Intel Core i7 Quad, Intel X58 SLi, 6G Corsair XMS DDR3, Intel X-25 SSD, 3 WD Velociraptor SATA SuperTrak SAS EX8650 Array, OCZ 1250W PS, GTX 295, xFi, 32" 1080p LCD

  • mindspatmindspat seattle, WAPosts: 1,367Member
    Originally posted by Liliane


    So, DDO's free to play was end of they P2P side, not because it's not better, but because CS is destroying it, because they can't exist both in same time in same game. it just doesn't work, because there is conflict between why to use them in first place.
     

    Different games attract different customers who share different preferences. We have to keep in mind that DDO was not designed for a FFP model which normally has a very low benchmark of quality.  The beneift here is players will be getting an MMO with the quality of a subscription based model.  I'm not saying it will work, nor have I said it won't, but I do agree that it might. 

    This is a good article about Micro Transactions and even touches on hybrid subscription/free models: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/4046/what_are_the_rewards_of_.php

    The article provides some interesting insight that anyone commenting on Item Malls and hybrid subscription plans should read. 

     

  • AgtSmithAgtSmith Sarasota, FLPosts: 1,498Member
    Originally posted by mindspat
    The beneift here is players will be getting an MMO with the quality of a subscription based model.  I'm not saying it will work, nor have I said it won't, but I do agree that it might.  

     

    Are they?  In all fairness to preferences can we not say that as a pay MMO DDO has been judged to be less than 'quality', thus the lack of subs and need (to the extent that is even the real motivation for this) to make this change. 

    --------------------------------
    Achiever 60.00%, Socializer 53.00%, Killer 47.00%, Explorer 40.00%
    Intel Core i7 Quad, Intel X58 SLi, 6G Corsair XMS DDR3, Intel X-25 SSD, 3 WD Velociraptor SATA SuperTrak SAS EX8650 Array, OCZ 1250W PS, GTX 295, xFi, 32" 1080p LCD

  • Wind-breakerWind-breaker St. Charles, ILPosts: 23Member

    For anyone who played the game and is leaving because of the announcement, which game are you looking at?  I personally was more offended by the dishonesty than the model, although I wasn't happy about that either.

Sign In or Register to comment.