Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No better F2P exists anywhere in the world.

giantsquidgiantsquid Runes of Magic CorrespondentMember Posts: 118

Actually the game is becoming extremely popular, especially in the last 2 weeks, and I believe this years E3 will be a larger instant boost towards their climb.  All the MMORPG sites have it rated within their top 10 now, and it's only 2 months out Beta.

It's nothing like any of the existing F2P(I played all of them, yes ALL) Every F2P up until now, was a grinder.  There was little to no situational combat, and you simply had to grind through thousands of mobs to gain lvls.

Runes of Magic is quest driven, like WoW, with special attention on daily quests(They reward a particular kind of in-game "currency" needed to complete tasks).

The game has many exciting unique features mostly found in large-scale pay to play games, but uses a cash shop.

I know your dissappointment with not wanting on PvP because spenders will use cash shop to gain advantage, but RoM doesn't do that.

I love RoM's cash shop.  Everything in the shop will only help you do things faster in-game.  There is nothing in cash shop that you can't do in game.  I find it truly fair for an RMT business model.

search around some more.  RoM has already gotten quite a few awards.

It is by far the best F2P that exists right now.  Nothing in the RMT business model can beat it.  I dare say that even finding what is 2nd best is the difference between WoW and the 2nd best pay to play.

Comments

• TyrrhonTyrrhon Member Posts: 412

It is great , it only lacks:

- class ballance

- meaningfull PvP

- working economy

- usefull crafting

- community

- advertised features

What is does not lack is cheap naive attemp at viral marketing. Spend some penny on real advertisement if you are so succesfull as you boast.

Edit: Your "fair just faster" cash shop means that free customers will get *essential* items years after the game closes. And the paying customer will pay what amounts to two years of WoW sub to get first set of lvl 50 gear for RoM.

• Originally posted by Tyrrhon

- class ballance
    - meaningfull PvP
    - working economy
    - usefull crafting
    - community
    - advertised features

Since you're going to spew the same rubbish in every thread I'll give the same rebuttal.  Every MMO has problems in all those areas to one extent or another.  RoM isn't the Messiah of MMORPG's but it's far from being as broken as you make it sound, and compared to all other F2P (which is the point of the thread) RoM has little, if any, competition.

• BrifBrif Member UncommonPosts: 529

Dragonica is better

• giantsquidgiantsquid Runes of Magic CorrespondentMember Posts: 118
    Originally posted by Tyrrhon

- class ballance
    - meaningfull PvP
    - working economy
    - usefull crafting
    - community
    - advertised features
    What is does not lack is cheap naive attemp at viral marketing. Spend some penny on real advertisement if you are so succesfull as you boast.
    Edit: Your "fair just faster" cash shop means that free customers will get *essential* items years after the game closes. And the paying customer will pay what amounts to two years of WoW sub to get first set of lvl 50 gear for RoM.

Oh, no you misunderstand.  I don't work for them, I'm in no way related, I'm just a huge fan.

But, I've heard players complain about class balance, but with the duel class system, RoM uses, players have simply found they need to learn to play RoM characters.  The complaint mostly comes from people who thought they'd play the same as any other MMO, but there is a bit of a learning curve.

the economy is young, but it works, and it's nice that they have a few different currencies, and as the population grows, the economy will too.

the crafting in RoM has been compared to EQ2, which after searching all over the net, I found that every EQ2 player(whether they played other games or only EQ2) said it was similar.  And with further looking around, you'll see that everyone in the MMORPG community considers EQ2 to have the 2nd  best crafting system ever(SWG being no. 1)  Not a bad compliment for Runes of Magic.

I don't know what you mean about meaningful PvP, but I've played WoW for 6 months and hate it's PvP, and love RoM's.  The no faction and criminal/hunter system adds so much more edge of your seat danger, and it's more often because it doesn't include only the opposite faction that you may not see often, but the danger is constant in RoM.

I don't know what you mean about community either, it has same community right now as any F2P I've played.  Plus they have over 1 million players now, and growing at rate of 150,000 a month, but even that is climbing.  A community is people, and RoM already has more people than many MMO's and is constantly growing, so community is large and getting larger.

You WANT advertising? in game? or what?  I don't want too much advertising but the game advertises it's cash shop a lot, but not annoyingly.

As for just advertising the game, you'll see giant banner ads on any MMO site you go too.  They have been so succesfull now they hired more devs(over 60 now: most F2P cut down to 30 or less after open beta).

I can only speculate but I imagine we'll definitely see some more advertising and a whole lot more of everything from the no. 1 F2P game in the world.

Edit: I don't argue the time vs rmt thing, cuz it's illogical.  Time is the great equalizer in all and everything in life, period.  It can't be used as an argument and more than it can in real life.

• EradaniEradani Member Posts: 6

Originally posted by giantsquid

But, I've heard players complain about class balance, but with the duel class system, RoM uses, players have simply found they need to learn to play RoM characters.  The complaint mostly comes from people who thought they'd play the same as any other MMO, but there is a bit of a learning curve.

Yes, everyone there has learned that mage/priest is the only class for pve and rogue/priest is the only class for pvp.

the economy is young, but it works, and it's nice that they have a few different currencies, and as the population grows, the economy will too.

Atm, gold is worthless. They've very recently taken out the capacity to sell items for diamonds in the AH, but the economy has yet to recover.

the crafting in RoM has been compared to EQ2, which after searching all over the net, I found that every EQ2 player(whether they played other games or only EQ2) said it was similar.  And with further looking around, you'll see that everyone in the MMORPG community considers EQ2 to have the 2nd  best crafting system ever(SWG being no. 1)  Not a bad compliment for Runes of Magic.

llollolollllollllol the crafting in RoM is NOTHING like the crafting in eq2 except that you create something. Crafting in RoM is getting your mats, typing in how many of that item you want, pressing a button, and going to do the dishes. And there are NO items worth crafting with the possible exception of potions and food.

However, the gathering is the most carpal tunnel unfriendly grinding madness I've ever seen. click click click, yell at some noob for stealing your node, click click, run over there, click click click. Takes hours to gather enough mats to gain a crafting level. And this is all before lvl 20.

Also, at lvl 11, you start to require Production Runes for every single combine. These are relatively low drop rate items from mobs, with different mob "species" dropping different types of production runes.

I don't know what you mean about meaningful PvP, but I've played WoW for 6 months and hate it's PvP, and love RoM's.  The no faction and criminal/hunter system adds so much more edge of your seat danger, and it's more often because it doesn't include only the opposite faction that you may not see often, but the danger is constant in RoM.

You love the fact that you have to spend upwards from $250 to twink up a toon? You love the fact that 50s can and do 1-shot lowbies? You love the fact that 3 kills will get you red and it takes at least 10 hours to afk off that rep?

I don't know what you mean about community either, it has same community right now as any F2P I've played.  Plus they have over 1 million players now, and growing at rate of 150,000 a month, but even that is climbing.  A community is people, and RoM already has more people than many MMO's and is constantly growing, so community is large and getting larger.

They DO NOT have over 1 million players. They have over 1 million accounts and, since you are allowed 5 accounts, anyone who plays more than a month has 5 and some people have 10 or 15.

On the plus side for community, I have to say that /zone in Howling Mtns has been really fun. Until recently, that is, when RoM decided to fight bots by implementing a 10 second chat delay. That is - you can only chat once every 10 seconds. That's longer than a conversation with someone on the moon.

You WANT advertising? in game? or what?  I don't want too much advertising but the game advertises it's cash shop a lot, but not annoyingly.

As for just advertising the game, you'll see giant banner ads on any MMO site you go too.  They have been so succesfull now they hired more devs(over 60 now: most F2P cut down to 30 or less after open beta).

I can only speculate but I imagine we'll definitely see some more advertising and a whole lot more of everything from the no. 1 F2P game in the world.

They DO NOT have 60 devs. That is a blatant lie. Anyone who has worked in the programming industry and played this game knows this. They maybe have 3 or 4, maybe less.

Their "Big New Content" release of the month featured a reused instance with exactly the same mobs, scaled from lvl 35 to lvl 50. Must have taken 15 minutes to write the script to do this.

Edit: I don't argue the time vs rmt thing, cuz it's illogical.  Time is the great equalizer in all and everything in life, period.  It can't be used as an argument and more than it can in real life.

w/e, play it if you want. I've got better things to do with my cash than give it to this company.

I'm sorry, I just disagree with you on all the points you make, their based on how you feel(maybe there's a bit of fact thrown in)

I hate arguments that last way too long because you have to spend so much time recorrecting how one feels about a specific matter.

I love the game, but haven't payd a dime yet. What you say about mages and the other class sound like you based it solely off the RoM forums, which are full of whiners.

I've been in 3 major guild Battalion, Forsaken, and Celestial since Open Beta, and all yer points are easily argued.

So I don't want to continue this, but let's just agree to disagree.

But my point, that no one can possibly argue with, is that RoM is the no. 1 F2P that exists right now.

Even the no. 1 game in the world will have people that don't like it at all, and others who have problems with different points. But it's still no. 1.

I will say this, I correct my statement, they have over 60 "employees" while most have 30 or less.  I took this info from getbuffed.com dev interview with the lead devs of RoM, check it for yerself.

On top of that a very recent interview on ZAM has them mentioning the hiring of even more.

Edit: Just wanted to ad, that yer post is awesome.  I've seen many rants but yers paints RoM in a pretty good light.  Heck, If I were Frogster I'd use it to promote my game ;)

•  

Originally posted by Eradani

They DO NOT have 60 devs. That is a blatant lie. Anyone who has worked in the programming industry and played this game knows this. They maybe have 3 or 4, maybe less.

Their "Big New Content" release of the month featured a reused instance with exactly the same mobs, scaled from lvl 35 to lvl 50. Must have taken 15 minutes to write the script to do this.

Here's the link to the Runewaker interview he's referring to:

http://www.getbuffed.com/getbuffed/news/?action=view&unid=1048

And here's the quote from that:

"GB: How large was your company when you founded it and how large is it currently?

Tony Tang: We started with eight people on our staff and we now have 65 on staff."

And they haven't released their "Big New Content" yet... that's coming with the expansion in September.

• GaurnGaurn Member Posts: 305

Yeah I got the newsletter. They're adding a shitload of stuff in it. New race, two new classes, level cap bump, new zone, weapons armor and items. It's definately going to make this game much more fun than it already is. I agree with the OP, as far as f2p's go, this one is hard to beat. Only other f2p game I'd play is GW.

Yes, everyone there has learned that mage/priest is the only class for pve and rogue/priest is the only class for pvp.

Atm, gold is worthless. They've very recently taken out the capacity to sell items for diamonds in the AH, but the economy has yet to recover.

llollolollllollllol the crafting in RoM is NOTHING like the crafting in eq2 except that you create something. Crafting in RoM is getting your mats, typing in how many of that item you want, pressing a button, and going to do the dishes. And there are NO items worth crafting with the possible exception of potions and food.

However, the gathering is the most carpal tunnel unfriendly grinding madness I've ever seen. click click click, yell at some noob for stealing your node, click click, run over there, click click click. Takes hours to gather enough mats to gain a crafting level. And this is all before lvl 20.

Also, at lvl 11, you start to require Production Runes for every single combine. These are relatively low drop rate items from mobs, with different mob "species" dropping different types of production runes.

You love the fact that you have to spend upwards from $250 to twink up a toon? You love the fact that 50s can and do 1-shot lowbies? You love the fact that 3 kills will get you red and it takes at least 10 hours to afk off that rep?

They DO NOT have over 1 million players. They have over 1 million accounts and, since you are allowed 5 accounts, anyone who plays more than a month has 5 and some people have 10 or 15.

On the plus side for community, I have to say that /zone in Howling Mtns has been really fun. Until recently, that is, when RoM decided to fight bots by implementing a 10 second chat delay. That is - you can only chat once every 10 seconds. That's longer than a conversation with someone on the moon.

w/e, play it if you want. I've got better things to do with my cash than give it to this company.

I just verified that they announced officially they have over 1 million "players", not accounts.  Given the status of bragging rights for an MMO, there's not much cause to brag if you have over 1 million characters, for the reason you state.  But they say they have over 1 million players and I'm sure they can track IP addresses so...

and I just noticed something.  5 accounts? You haven't even played the game, have you ;)

• iNeokiiNeoki Member UncommonPosts: 353

I downloaded the game last night and while I respect my peers from my fatherland in making a well crafted F2P game, it just didn't stick to me.  It does stick in terms of being the better of all F2P MMO's out there, but it doesn't make me want to keep playing. There did seem to be some imbalance classes just by reading chat and some of the gameplay felt sluggish, much like TCoS.  perhaps in a few months it will be better polished and more playable for me, but that's just my opinion. So until then I will stick to playing P2P LOTRO and WWII Online.  

TwitchTV: iNeoki

• CrimsonFalkonCrimsonFalkon Member UncommonPosts: 46

I am in total agreement with the OP. Of all the F2P games and even some of the P2P games, this one is above the mark. I mean sure there are somethings that could use adjusting or fixing, but um, it is FREE! Hell most people pay a sub for games that still require adjusting and fixing! 

No other F2P has or will (IMO) hold a candle to RoM and the September expansion that is slated for release is just another step up the ladder of successes in an otherwise bland and dismal F2P catagory.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

Actually the game is becoming extremely popular, especially in the last 2 weeks, and I believe this years E3 will be a larger instant boost towards their climb.  All the MMORPG sites have it rated within their top 10 now, and it's only 2 months out Beta.
    It's nothing like any of the existing F2P(I played all of them, yes ALL) Every F2P up until now, was a grinder.  There was little to no situational combat, and you simply had to grind through thousands of mobs to gain lvls.
    Runes of Magic is quest driven, like WoW, with special attention on daily quests(They reward a particular kind of in-game "currency" needed to complete tasks).
    The game has many exciting unique features mostly found in large-scale pay to play games, but uses a cash shop.
    I know your dissappointment with not wanting on PvP because spenders will use cash shop to gain advantage, but RoM doesn't do that.
    I love RoM's cash shop.  Everything in the shop will only help you do things faster in-game.  There is nothing in cash shop that you can't do in game.  I find it truly fair for an RMT business model.
    search around some more.  RoM has already gotten quite a few awards.
    It is by far the best F2P that exists right now.  Nothing in the RMT business model can beat it.  I dare say that even finding what is 2nd best is the difference between WoW and the 2nd best pay to play.

ok i aggre with most of what you say ,1 precision

proffession crafting,not the gatering the crafting

i m lvl 15 right now and i havent see 1 way be it in store or ingame to have fasster cast time say instant instead of 4 second

and you cannot (if im correct)speed up xp toward your crafting ,so say you gat on average 10% per cast for x item there are no way to improove that say +200 % to end up with an average of about 25% per cast so you d only need 4 item made to level instead of arount 7

yes it makes a big difference if you go buy the skill and dont use drop skill

it take a lot of mat to lvl 1 lvl ,and add to that the lovely chance of being pked slowing down your levelling rate further the best way i haver yet is to just lvl gathering give all to guild yes i know it suck but believe me you dont want to delay castle too long

the faster the castle is built the faster you can pass to other thing like grinding your skill

beleive me you can lvl 6 proff to 40 3 to 50 i think and 1 elite

3 of those will be crafting prof,let me tell you im just at lvl 5 in my 3 crafting and im lvl 14 with my gathering

ski^p most crafting just lvl alch to get the low lvl +5 lvl to gathering lvl and then stop there just build castle fast etc,its the core of the game

there as to be a reason they made castle easyer to level then crafting

i love this game

and i started to see a real hint of story in this game a real thing ,if its all like that

its a freaking involved process to unveil them ,right now im at a point where theres a plot to assasinate a big guyu in varanas,

add to that a silly noble doing all kind of shitty stuff you got to mop his mistake ,its a nice story i was surprised.i saw the major story tree but gees i find a tooken on a mob and i end up in a freaky situation its very nice

i was gona quit but when i reached lvl 15 its where the fun begin the story unfold yes theres pk but it adds spice

in this game some story stuff you got to dig very deep why

freaking nobility always plot and they dont trust their own shadow lol.

so it take a bit of work to begin to understaant the tip of the iceburg

you might have to take note cause its freaking complex when you get a clue it might be related with other stuff but its so deep lol often we forget

i left wow this month and i can say i have no regret ,customizable store stuff is insane

one guy  wanted a mount  he bot it simple but he didnt like color he colored it it look so bad ass you wouldnt believe

this game is gona be very popular

- class ballance
    - meaningfull PvP
    - working economy
    - usefull crafting
    - community
    - advertised features

Oh, no you misunderstand.  I don't work for them, I'm in no way related, I'm just a huge fan.

true the nemesis feature helps a lot

you got ganked yesterdays by xxx

ooh nice he just log on lets go pay back some courtesy

childish hell yes, fun you can bet on it

we re at the very begining now

most dont have castle castle fight isnt on yet

give it a bit of time to set up etc

build castle protect castle against xxx invasion you go attack castle of zzz men on top of everything else

dont search for me in wow 3 years were fun but not that fun this is gona be way more fun

first ,if you spent 20 a month average on wow it will average about the same for this game yes if you go too far you can spend 300 $

its like all f2p

if you buy a perma mount this month then you budget is almost busted

the way i figure it

comkpare an ebgame plus monthly then figure same amount

(new game lol not the the price of vanilla wow its 2 $ at ebgame just the cd)

for any f2p and you ll be fine

sore is more about plashing and lvling quickly

like a father that can play while his son and daugfhter are doing homework he got what 45 min an hour before kids are done with their homework

you cant ask a father or mother not to spend money in store to be on = term with the kid that farm 12 hour a day after school

Originally posted by jleeii

I am in total agreement with the OP. Of all the F2P games and even some of the P2P games, this one is above the mark. I mean sure there are somethings that could use adjusting or fixing, but um, it is FREE! Hell most people pay a sub for games that still require adjusting and fixing! 
    No other F2P has or will (IMO) hold a candle to RoM and the September expansion that is slated for release is just another step up the ladder of successes in an otherwise bland and dismal F2P catagory.

and dont forget these guys are on a time table ,some think we re being ignored

their major update is september so it will probably be all corrected there

and i dont mean content ,they update the way the game sound how it will look they change a lot of stuff,check their note on the website

• rwtonyrwtony Member Posts: 14

I also think that RoM is and/or will become the best F2P!! The amount of changes and content they are pushing out and the fact that it is free and therefore presents little to zero burden upon the players will make it the best! I encourage everyone to download it, play it, and if it is not the way you like it now, then just leave it on the HD and come back in a month or 2!

• lauduclauduc Member UncommonPosts: 2

yes , atm, its the best F2P , but its too the more greedy company that i know.

Don't forget "  Frogster care about us , but never reply in any thread, or only to lock them"

LOL at ppl ,saying the cash shop is fair, not unbalanced, did u play the right game ??

• VowOfSilenceVowOfSilence Member UncommonPosts: 565

best F2P? Hard to tell, since there are so many F2P.

Probably doesn't mean much anyway, as most F2P aren't any good.

Q: Is it worth playing?

A: Yes, if you are looking for a cheap WoW-like MMO, RoM is going to be some fun.

Q: Is worth getting into it seriously?

A: Hell, no. In the long run, this means you'll have to invest a considerable amount of money or time. If spending some money is no problem for you, get Guild Wars games for 19$ each, and you'll have a much more balanced, mature, and overall better game, especially if you like PvP. If you'd rather spend a lot of time on a game, get Guild Wars anyway.

Q: Is it the best F2P?

A: At the moment, maybe so. But RoM might quickly get outclassed by Allods Online Beta, which imo looks more promising. Take a look at Atlantica Online as well.

Hype train -> Reality

• pur3.5yncpur3.5ync Member Posts: 55

Saw in another thread about DDO gone F2P so RoM probably not yet the best?

Definately, one to keep on the list for playing though.

Those bashing the game earlier in the thread are just those idiots you see in every post. Seriously, no respect.

• madeuxmadeux Member Posts: 1,786

I've yet to find a F2P game that I can really get into, but considering the fact that I have just as hard a time finding a P2P game that I can get into, that's not surprising.  This one actually looks interesting, and the positive reviews were enough to get me to download it last night. 

I still haven't had a chance to play it, hopefully later tonight, and I'll hop back on and give my impressions.

Originally posted by VowOfSilence

best F2P? Hard to tell, since there are so many F2P.

Probably doesn't mean much anyway, as most F2P aren't any good.

Q: Is it worth playing?
    A: Yes, if you are looking for a cheap WoW-like MMO, RoM is going to be some fun.

Q: Is worth getting into it seriously?
    A: Hell, no. In the long run, this means you'll have to invest a considerable amount of money or time. If spending some money is no problem for you, get Guild Wars games for 19$ each, and you'll have a much more balanced, mature, and overall better game, especially if you like PvP. If you'd rather spend a lot of time on a game, get Guild Wars anyway.

Q: Is it the best F2P?
    A: At the moment, maybe so. But RoM might quickly get outclassed by Allods Online Beta, which imo looks more promising. Take a look at Atlantica Online as well.

Atlantica is a lot of fun. I love the game.  Terrific graphics, fun gameplay and they did a great job making a player-created economy and the arena action is fun.  I recommend it.  However, keep in mind it is its own revolutionary game.

It is an MMOSRPG Massively Multiplayer Online STRATEGY RPG.  It's like Final Fantasy Tactics, Ogre tactics, or Disgaea.

So if you like tactics games I highly recommend it.

now to stay on topic: I have been doing a lot of research into RoM and I am starting to believe the game is much more revolutionary than I first thought.

For instance it is a more horizontal game than WoW which is more vertical.  What do I mean?

Well you can check out my post(in my sig) on Vertical vs. Horizontal and look at how RoM's crafting compares to WoW's

in WoW it forces you to climb vertically, you level crafting but can only take it so far until your forced to level other things as well.

In RoM it gives you the choice, it still works like WoW but now you have a choice, so instead of forcing you to level, it "encourages" you to level, and you stil don't have to.  I could stay level 16 forever, but with enough hard work and time, I could max my crafting professions to 80.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Lots of inaccuracies in your post, however this was the most blatant and incorrect.

There are lots of great class combos for PVE and PVP.  Some of the most feared (and perhaps OP') characters in PVP is the Mage/Scout or pretty much Mage anything.  Sure, Rogues are good, but I've been killed by far more mages than anything else.

In PVE your choices are pretty wide too, I'm a Rogue/Priest and I rock at PvE killing and fantastic at gathering. Not so bad at PVP either, though a I feel a Rogue/Scout is the way to go with the stun lock capabilities.

I'm sure other folks have their favorites, and for sure there's some that absolute stink depending on your needs.

Does the game have issues, yes, but consider what you have to pay for it.

Not so bad after all.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• caelachcaelach Member UncommonPosts: 113
    Originally posted by Sixpax

- class ballance
    - meaningfull PvP
    - working economy
    - usefull crafting
    - community
    - advertised features

Since you're going to spew the same rubbish in every thread I'll give the same rebuttal.  Every MMO has problems in all those areas to one extent or another.  RoM isn't the Messiah of MMORPG's but it's far from being as broken as you make it sound, and compared to all other F2P (which is the point of the thread) RoM has little, if any, competition.

I thought his list was rather brief and far too forgiving.

• caelachcaelach Member UncommonPosts: 113
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Lots of inaccuracies in your post, however this was the most blatant and incorrect.

There are lots of great class combos for PVE and PVP.  Some of the most feared (and perhaps OP') characters in PVP is the Mage/Scout or pretty much Mage anything.  Sure, Rogues are good, but I've been killed by far more mages than anything else.

In PVE your choices are pretty wide too, I'm a Rogue/Priest and I rock at PvE killing and fantastic at gathering. Not so bad at PVP either, though a I feel a Rogue/Scout is the way to go with the stun lock capabilities.

I'm sure other folks have their favorites, and for sure there's some that absolute stink depending on your needs.

Does the game have issues, yes, but consider what you have to pay for it.

Not so bad after all.

"Consider what you have to pay for it"?

Well, sure, but the question really should be, "is this game worth my time?". I say it isn't.

• asdasdasddasdasdasdd Member Posts: 52

Atlantica online is the best F2P MMO on in the world.

Yay opinions.