Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aion does nothing new...

gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

...But I honestly feel what it tries to do, it does well. I encourage you to read what I am about to say and form your own opinions from there.

After a few hours ingame, my first though was...this feels like a shinier WoW. And I ~hate~ WoW. I can't stand people comparing every game to WoW, but I'd be a fool to ignore the game's draw. Aion works on a similar system, quests guiding you through the lands, being the main drive to all your exploring and level-up-ing. I guess what I mean is, the game feels very comfortable and familiar; the casual player will not feel out of their element while playing. It's very easy to jump right in and start enjoying the game.

On day 2 of my gaming, playing casually between laundry and school work, my character (Cleric) is almost level 18. I still have tons of quests I haven't done, even some from way back at level 12, mostly because I keep opening up new lands as I explore/hunt, with new npcs that need my help. These aren't just 'kill x mob' (though admittedly, most of them are) but I've been sent to piece a living statue back together, to find a wedding ring, to transform into a monster and scout their territory, help a kobold and a shugo (cat/ferret type thing) fall in love, etc. Most of these quests, NOT JUST THE MAIN STORYLINE QUEST, come with cut scenes! My favorite are the ones that involve my character, but they're all quite cinematic and enjoyable.

Most people seem to think the grind begins above level 25, so I can't accurately say whether or not the game is grindy, though from the community manager's words I would assume it is not; Liv and Ayase have both suggested both the Korean and Chinese versions are geared toward that audience, and in the westernization process for both US/EU much more quests are implemented and the grind toned down for our side of the world, which is generally more casual. I will give them the benefit of the doubt until then, though honestly with a level cap of 50 I don't mind having to put some effort into getting there. As long as there continue to be fun things to do, I will enjoy the journey. It can't all be about levels.

As for specs, the game is gorgeous and runs ridiculously smooth. I have no idea how they managed this; I've played games not even a 10th as pretty that lag me to hell and back. Granted, playing Aion sets my computer humming like a *censored* but still, even in towns surrounded by people I don't lag, though there is an occasional latency spike in those situations. It's never happened in battle though, and for that much I'm thankful for. I imagine even that will happen less when the game launches and there is more than one server/race for people to chose from, spreading out the population.

Honestly, I don't feel like I'm playing an MMORPG. I feel more like I'm playing an online console game, like "Infinite Undiscovery"; a very pretty mostly solo game where you recruit people for occasional, difficult PvE things (like one of the story missions where you must infiltrate a base filled with elites, impossible to solo unless very high level and by then, why would you want to?). I haven't experienced large-scale PvP yet, but through some dueling I can say the so-called "hardcore" players may not enjoy Aion; the battles are fun, especially with the combo skill system, but it's nothing new. Select target, pwn away. Those looking to jump around or run in circles so attacks miss, a la Darkfall, will not be happy with this commonplace system.

No game can please everyone, but I would definitely suggest people give the game a try before dumping on it. Still, if you're not the kind of person that enjoys games like WoW or LOTRO, Aion may not do much for you. Even after the beta events are over, should you be interested and unable to get into one, every NCSoft game has free trials, so I'm sure everyone will get some play time in regardless. Below are some screenshots for your enjoyment. My graphics card isn't great, its an NVidia GeForce 7900S (256) so I may not be doing the screens justice, but they're still quite pretty to me.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

Comments

• HoobleyHoobley Member Posts: 421
    Originally posted by gaeanprayer

So you really can create children in this game.

I've had many in depth discussions about this topic in the past and ultimately the overall outcome was that the ESRB would not give a rating to a game where you could kill children.

Let's not go much further other than to say;

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Actually I was trying for a "kender" type character x) otherwise I wouldn't have given her boobs. But yes, you can make them look young or old *points to old guy sitting in the back* I'm sure there are some RPers out there that might take this to disturbing levels but, you can't really control what people do in secret :x

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

Actually I was trying for a "kender" type character x) otherwise I wouldn't have given her boobs. But yes, you can make them look young or old *points to old guy sitting in the back* I'm sure there are some RPers out there that might take this to disturbing levels but, you can't really control what people do in secret :x

You can control it, by eliminating the possibility to do it.

• ElectriceyeElectriceye Member UncommonPosts: 1,171
    Originally posted by Joppari

100% right, less customization FTW!

oh wait...

Not enough customization, people complain. More than enough customization, they complayin again. Nice!

Actually I was trying for a "kender" type character x) otherwise I wouldn't have given her boobs. But yes, you can make them look young or old *points to old guy sitting in the back* I'm sure there are some RPers out there that might take this to disturbing levels but, you can't really control what people do in secret :x

Yes! While we're at it, let's eliminate people's ability to talk, and whisper each other! And we should also take away the ability to post pictures on the net. Better yet, let's just get rid of the internets. Then, lock all doors and forbid people from leaving the house! Then all the world will be safe from everyone.

Get over it :3 Besides, of all the things in that thread, that's the one thing you focus on. Just because that's where ~your~ mind traveled to, doesn't mean that's what everyone else thinks. Regardless, the character generator is there for people to make their characters look how they want. You'll see girls with tiny waists and huge breasts, which objectifies women, should we get rid of the breast scale too? Because of what a few perverts do?

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

Few games go far enough to give you complete control over your character height, especially the way Aion does. YOU must be the perv/pedo if you are so bothered about these things, the therapy you had might fail, yeah? It's not like the game explicitly does it and you'll find it in every corner.

This game is incredible, you know you are playing through no new mechanics but you still enjoy it greatly as if the mix of features copied from previous games is inovation. Flame me for it but I deeply enjoy this game as it is now, be it because of the curiosity to learn the lore of the completely new IP, be it because I love to do quest.

The game has completely gotten me in love with it, and I didn't even get to the PvP.

• VotanVotan Member UncommonPosts: 291

Thanks for the write up, I have had a similar expierence so far but I am decided to try 2 different arch types through 10. 

So far I am very impressed the the game engine, coming form Laghammer this game is as stable as I have ever seen when it comes to large amounts of players in one area.  Which promises for some fun with the end game pvp. 

When I first logged into the game there had to be over 250 people in the starter area and I did not lag at all, I mean 0 lag.  That alone sold me on at least trying this at release. 

What will determine this games fate is its end game and how much fun it will be. 

• RaiizenRaiizen Member Posts: 177

it doesent need to it already has millions of subs so why change what works? take darkfall for one there attempt at creating something else and look at that truck load of failure

• takaris7takaris7 Member Posts: 145

The game has interesting but average concepts. Its got a decent fantasy setting with good graphics...but one thing I cant get over is the way the characters look. I like the background but they look too overdone....suspension of disbelief is ruined for me. (My opinion) 

The androgynous looks kill me like they do in most Eastern MMO's. I had a hard time with the Final Fantasy MMO and its cutesy characters....gosh, i so want to murder any Tarutaru I come across. I can't stand most of that imagery. I can't find any word to describe it without being offensive...the male characters look feminine, prissy and pretty boyish...

• BigMangoBigMango Member UncommonPosts: 1,821

.. I can say the so-called "hardcore" players may not enjoy Aion; the battles are fun, especially with the combo skill system, but it's nothing new. Select target, pwn away. Those looking to jump around or run in circles so attacks miss, a la Darkfall, will not be happy with this commonplace system.

Reading all the reports from hardcore players about the pvpve, the Abyss, etc... on several forums, I think they will like it as much as the casuals

Aion has positional combat. Player stats change in real time depending on your position.

Originally posted by BigMango

.. I can say the so-called "hardcore" players may not enjoy Aion; the battles are fun, especially with the combo skill system, but it's nothing new. Select target, pwn away. Those looking to jump around or run in circles so attacks miss, a la Darkfall, will not be happy with this commonplace system.

Reading all the reports from hardcore players about the pvpve, the Abyss, etc... on several forums, I think they will like it as much as the casuals

Aion has positional combat. Player stats change in real time depending on your position.

Really! I did not know that. I'm hoping the next preview event lets us try the Abyss so I can see this for myself. I know some skills from the Assassin and Templar depend on your position, but I didn't think it was global. I've seen a lot of people talk about enjoying PvP too, but I've also seen people bitch about position not mattering since you target-lock on everything, so if I'm casting a spell and someone jumps behind me, it's still going to go off and they'll still get hit unless they can interrupt my spell with fast attacks (which happens quite often actually ;<)

Originally posted by Electriceye

oh wait...

Not enough customization, people complain. More than enough customization, they complayin again. Nice!

I do not think that children should be allowed to be slaughtered in an online video game. Nor do I think the option to play a child in an online game should be allowed.

Customization within certain boundaries Electriceye. Limits.

If you think I'm some fucked up pedo because of that EricDanie, well seriously that's your problem entirely.

I've got my own kids, perhaps I have a different perspective to you.

• patrynspatryns Member UncommonPosts: 81

I made a small character so I could hide more in PVP battles like I did in DAOC since I play a healing class.  Instead of this game remininding of wow it reminds me of the orginal Everquest.

• FargolFargol Member UncommonPosts: 303

oh wait...

I do not think that children should be allowed to be slaughtered in an online video game. Nor do I think the option to play a child in an online game should be allowed.

If you think I'm some fucked up pedo because of that EricDanie, well seriously that's your problem entirely.

I agree with you on this.

The people making ridiculous, exaggerated replies to you are nitwits who mindlessly strike out at anyone who even hints at controlling something.

• tbj28tbj28 Member Posts: 22

oh wait...

Small do not =  child... Lots of games have gnomes/halflings/Dwarfs or just small races. It seems its just you that have issues with small characters.

Originally posted by tbj28

oh wait...

Small do not =  child... Lots of games have gnomes/halflings/Dwarfs or just small races. It seems its just you that have issues with small characters.

Get real my friend.

In actual fact I favor small races in fantasy MMOs, Gnomes, Halflings, Dwarves and Goblins. So no, I don't have an issue with that.

• tbj28tbj28 Member Posts: 22

Well also take into fact not everyone in the world is very tall, why is it so bad to be able to kill a small character ? your probaly the first ive ever seen associate it with children slaughter. Really if you find that your kids shoulden get exposed to something like this then why is killing AT ALL tolerated by you? if you kill something small or big whats the difference to you ? killing is killing regardless what your targeting.

• BigMangoBigMango Member UncommonPosts: 1,821

Originally posted by BigMango

Really! I did not know that. I'm hoping the next preview event lets us try the Abyss so I can see this for myself. I know some skills from the Assassin and Templar depend on your position, but I didn't think it was global. I've seen a lot of people talk about enjoying PvP too, but I've also seen people bitch about position not mattering since you target-lock on everything, so if I'm casting a spell and someone jumps behind me, it's still going to go off and they'll still get hit unless they can interrupt my spell with fast attacks (which happens quite often actually ;<)

Yes, I have seen several places talking about his.

I.ex, check out the the IGN preview: http://pc.ign.com/articles/967/967150p1.html

"The game also features real-time stat changes. So if you decide to switch on your wings mid-battle, your defense is going to drop dramatically. Or depending on your distance from an enemy, your defense goes up if you back away or your attack rises if you get closer. This directional combat is sure to come into play the most in the PvP world. "

oh wait...

It's a game. Say it with me: G A M E.

I do not think that anyone should be allowed to be slaughtered in an online video game, not just kids. However, I really think you're overreacting (3rd time today! ). Just play the game as it's meant to be, if you want to keep complaining in this way, it's the same as boycotting the entire gaming industry.

Moreover, people are just creating a normal char that looks like a kid. They aren't creating kids, but small people as the face customizations are the same for everything. How are they going to limit those?

I seriously think that the people who think the way you are are the problem, and not the opposite. I hadn't even thought of people creating small chars to "do some things in secret" Lol.

Play the game the way it's meant to be played, and chill.

You don't like to slaughter chars that look like kids in a GAME because you're too sentimental or something, then don't. Don't duel them either. You don't want to create a char that looks small, don't.

Originally posted by Vinterkrig

oh wait...

or they could just be midgets, get over it

i made the smallest possible char, and it had a beard... most children these days (teenagers rather) look like they are in their 20s, so anything that looks somewhat young should be changed in games... so stupid

So that makes it all ok, right?

I'm disgusted by some of the responses here.

You'll never see me have any association with this game or the community of this forum in the future.

You may say good riddance to me, I say you're all sick if  this is the general attitude.

• demolishIXdemolishIX Member Posts: 632

Slaughtering children in games is always fun... heck 12mil children have being slaughtering each other in WoW for a long time.

Soo ,BLOOOD FOR THE BLOOOD GOD,CHILDREN SKULLS FOR THE CHILDREN SKULL THRONE!

I'm disgusted by some of the responses here.

You'll never see me have any association with this game or the community of this forum in the future.

You may say good riddance to me, I say you're sick if it this is the general attitude.

Sorry Joppari, I'm calling BS on that. Forget Aion for a moment.

I Can't understand the mentality of a person who's OK with games full of bloodshed, slaughtering human beings, World War II games etc., but is so ferociously against games that involve killing small, kid-like characters.

I hope you change your mind in leaving the community, you seem like a decent bloke.

• otheron3otheron3 Member Posts: 46

The ability to roll a character with a face resembling a child is less offensive than it is a reflection of how anime can conflict with Western culture and morals.      I am not offended because I don't believe this was done to appeal to sicko's for marketing reasons, and if any one actually believes they are killing "children" in AION, they should game less and play real life more, but AION is certainly not going to be the source of their issues, nor would it resolve them.

-Other

• Impulse47Impulse47 Member UncommonPosts: 159

I think this picture pretty well sums Aion up.