Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Final Fantasy XIV Online Q&A @ E3 2009

SzarkSzark News ManagerMember Posts: 4,420

MMORPG.com's Carolyn Koh interviews Hiromichi Tanaka and Nobuaki Komoto, producer and director of Final Fantasy XIV Online.

Final Fantasy XIV Online was revealed by Sony Entertainment at their Press Conference on June 2nd at the Shrine Theater in downtown Los Angeles and a trailer shown. It was announced that Hiromichi Tanaka will produce the game and Nobuaki Komoto will serve as director. Both worked on Final Fantasy XI Online. Nobu Uematsu will return to score the music. The game will be set in the world of Eorzea and the trailers showed races similar to those seen in Final Fantasy XI as well as Chocobos.

An invite only press Q&A was held the next day with Hiromichi Tanaka and Nobuaki Komoto taking questions through an interpreter. Tanaka-san opened by clarifying the remarks made during the Sony Press Conference. Final Fantasy XIV Online will not be exclusive to the PS3, but will be released on the PS3 and PC platforms simultaneously. They are also considering all other options available to them at this time.

Q: What are the ties to the old races of FFXI?

Tanaka: The world of FFXIV is a different one from FFXI. The races look similar so that they will feel familiar to players of FFXI, but the world is a different world, and thus the races are also different.

Read more here.

Comments

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

no new questions really :(

PS: When will we get our FF14 forum

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• Kozmo14Kozmo14 Member UncommonPosts: 53

I can not wait for this game....=)

Games. Music. Metal. ROLL TIDE!!!

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Yea, this game is going to be a good one.

• lilune666lilune666 Member Posts: 129

I'm glad they made it clear that at least two of the developers also worked on FFXI have been on board, apart from that and the character design, there are not many other reasons to believe that FFIV will be similar to FFXI in any major way.  The elements of FFXI that most people are hooked on couldn't exist in a game where people could solo, but that's a feature they're claiming it will have.  I hope it turns out well!

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

I really hope this game turns out well also,FF11 was my first MMO,and still thinkg its a fun game :)

• curiindicuriindi Member Posts: 488

You know you're a fanboi when everything about this game makes you happy!

• Hrayr2148Hrayr2148 Member Posts: 649

My first ever MMO and my first MMO love were one and the same: FFXI.

I am waiting for this game with nervous anticipation and abated breath.  This game and Star Wars: Old Republic will be fighting for my time and subscription fee.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414
    Originally posted by Szark
    An invite only press Q&A was held the next day with Hiromichi Tanaka and Nobuaki Komoto taking questions through an interpreter. Tanaka-san opened by clarifying the remarks made during the Sony Press Conference. Final Fantasy XIV Online will not be exclusive to the PS3, but will be released on the PS3 and PC platforms simultaneously. They are also considering all other options available to them at this time.

In other words, it will be on Xbox 360 most likely after Sony has their little launch exclusivity. So I'll wait 'til then.

And thank God they're getting rid of that PlayOnline crap.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• shamallshamall Member CommonPosts: 516

The only thing that made me stop playing ff11 was the group or die gameplay. To hear that they are also not using PlayOnline is a plus. It seems like this will be the final fantasy mmo I thought I was going to be playing when ff11 came out. About freaking time.

The Brave Do Not Fear The Grave

• FaelanFaelan Member UncommonPosts: 819

The forced grouping in FFXI totally killed it for me. I don't object to grouping in general (it's an MMO afterall and can be darn fun with the right people), but there are times where I may not feel like being social, have limited time or need to go AFK frequently due to RL issues. If these things make the game inaccessible to me because grouping is the only option, that game quickly drops off my list.

If it's true that FFXIV will have enough viable solo content to make the game fun, then I will most certainly give it a try. At the same time though, I  hope they don't go completely overboard and make it like WOW where soloing to 80 is the prefered way of playing. I guess what I'm trying to say is, use the carrot and not the stick. Make it so people want to group if they have the time and such rather than forcing them to group in order to make some progress.

I'm a big ol' fluffy carewolf. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

FFXI was my first mmo (played 2 years) and this one will hopefully be more casual friendly. Waiting for chests to appear for epic gear was a bit much as well as waiting for a certain time of the day in order for summoners to obtain their avatars was a bit crazy. Overall FFXI was great and I hope FFXIV will be even better.

• KetsumKetsum Member UncommonPosts: 5

Woot! I was worried they were going to drop the job system, but he refers to exspanding on it... only downside is I'm a cronic sufferer or "ALTitis" and "grass is greener syndrom"

I played FFXI for quite awhile and then left cause I just didn't have the time to keep leveling with the group or die method and I even came back to the game and played again for another couple months.

i do really hope they have worked out a way to stop the in game econony from going pear-shaped like it did on some servers sometimes....

• RollotamasiRollotamasi Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 898

It will only take one thing for me to play this game.  Fishing.  If they implement close to the same fishing system as they did in FFXI I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO on board. 

Edit - Oh yeah, and I think I just came a little...

-Currently looking forward to FFXIV

-Currently playing EvE and Global Agenda

• jadan2000jadan2000 Member UncommonPosts: 508

im seriously anticipating this game. Final fantasy was my first mmo and i love it to eath. the only things i wasnt crazy about was the long grinds and looking for groups, but other then that, i loved everything in ffxi. i still go back every now and then.

• QinshienQinshien Member Posts: 26
    Originally posted by shamall

The only thing that made me stop playing ff11 was the group or die gameplay. To hear that they are also not using PlayOnline is a plus. It seems like this will be the final fantasy mmo I thought I was going to be playing when ff11 came out. About freaking time.

They didn't say they aren't using playonline...

Don't hate because I'm awesome

• QinshienQinshien Member Posts: 26
    Originally posted by Ketsum

Woot! I was worried they were going to drop the job system, but he refers to exspanding on it... only downside is I'm a cronic sufferer or "ALTitis" and "grass is greener syndrom"

I played FFXI for quite awhile and then left cause I just didn't have the time to keep leveling with the group or die method and I even came back to the game and played again for another couple months.
    i do really hope they have worked out a way to stop the in game econony from going pear-shaped like it did on some servers sometimes....

I dunno this is only speculation... but the art on the official site... shows Whitemage clothing... bard... and a few other... It also shows a Mithra... So I think those things might stay the same... else why would they use FF11 art for FF14? Just speculation tho... ;)

Don't hate because I'm awesome

• AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525

I'm glad the Q&A clarified this would be console AND PC release.   The E3 coverage I saw seemed to imply it would be console only which made me wonder.   

I guess I'll keep an eye on this game since they're doing it for PC too.  

• KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591

All i ask is that they dont make the same mistake they did in 11 and they use thw WASD control layout for the PC version, that was the main ruining of that game was the horrid UI

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

Originally posted by Dalgor

All i ask is that they dont make the same mistake they did in 11 and they use thw WASD control layout for the PC version, that was the main ruining of that game was the horrid UI

Use a gamepad, game was desghned to be played with one.

Originally posted by Qinshien

Originally posted by shamall

They didn't say they aren't using playonline...

they mentioned it quite a few times that they will not us PO

• JynxorJynxor Member Posts: 40
    Originally posted by Qinshien

Originally posted by Ketsum

I dunno this is only speculation... but the art on the official site... shows Whitemage clothing... bard... and a few other... It also shows a Mithra... So I think those things might stay the same... else why would they use FF11 art for FF14? Just speculation tho... ;)

Using the same model but they aren't going to be Mithra, Galka, Taru, etc.  Said they wanted to use them like they are actors.  And if you notice Galkas have no tails this time around.

• banshe13banshe13 Member CommonPosts: 200

I just hope it stays PC and PS3 only since if the take it and make it xbox 360 then it leads to unable to upgrade stuff later onfrom xbox360 being dvd formated and out of date.    If they make it xbox make sure it xbox 720 not the 360 even tho xbox player must wait it be better allround for the game in about 4 years when stuff cant upgrade from the xbox 360.

• arlrex1arlrex1 Member Posts: 16

Looks very promising so far. Not my first MMO but definetly one of my favorite ones. Still playing it after 4 years.

• ArvdogArvdog Member Posts: 11

Playonline was horrible, it was cumbersome and unecsessary. Hopefully billing and account management isn't as much of a headache, one of the very few things SOE beats SE in.  I also don't want there to be a Red Mage, or Nin in terms of effectiveness.

• xersentxersent Member Posts: 613

Oh i cant wait for this , did i read it right there keeping the job system , so we can lvl every single job again and just switch back and forth with the same character ... that must be the best idea in any mmo ever... more moos should take note... i would rather make 1 character and be able to use it for all jobs rather than having to re lvl a new character and have todo all the quests again.

and as regards to the grouping and solo content , the grouping in FFXI is what made it great , i dont think i would of met half the people i did and have alot of great friends , now if in the new system they do it so if u solo xp thats fine but if u group up you get a bonus to your xp for being in a party and of course if your grouped u goto a diffrent area to fight harder mobs... etc..

Overall i cant wait for this , its going to be EPIC.