Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online: This Game's Statistics

SzarkSzark News ManagerMember Posts: 4,420

MMORPG.com Warhammer Online Correspondent Michael Dennis writes this look at the various statistics in Mythic's Warhammer Online.

Please note all the numerical amounts provided have been worked out by the game's players and, while they represent a very approximate estimation, are not confirmed by Mythic and may vary. All relevant, known equations have been included.

Statistics are the numbers that measure your character's physical capabilities. Depending on what kind of archetype you play, e.g. melee DPS or tank, different statistics will be prioritised. There are sixteen statistics (or stats) in total that cover every aspect of combat in the game, this article covers the eight primary ones. Stats come into play every time you attack another player or NPC and every time you get attacked. They determine the damage you take, the damage you deal, the healing you do, the amount of hit-points you have; so, even though you never need to "activate" them like your abilities, they are behind the scenes playing a very active part in almost everything you do.

Read more here.

Comments

• nevrosisnevrosis Member Posts: 17

so... the game is still boring....

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498

Good write up - very concise. I wish the game had had something like that in the beginning.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by nevrosis

so... the game is still boring....

And that is relevant how in this thread?

War surely has its weaknesses but information like this is very good, it makes it easier for new players to choose their class and learn the mechanics of the game.

• TerminatrTerminatr Member Posts: 114

I love this, it justs proves when i did play that i had full rights to ask why the hell witch elves had willpower on their endgame armor. that absolutely drove me nuts. purples or whatever color the legendary stuff was always had freakin willpower on them.

• TelonosTelonos Member UncommonPosts: 25

Very good write up, but to nitpick for a sec...ballistics is also the primary attribute for engineers. Don't ignore the stunties (unless ya wanna wind up with a grenade in your pocket, hehe).  But overall good info for those who might not understand how the stats work. 

I hear patch 1.3 will help to clear up a lot of the itemization issues on endgame gear (my swordmaster is also wondering why the hell all his stuff has willpower on it. The very small increase in disrupt is nowhere near enough to keep up with what a ranged caster can dish out with their intelligence). 

• fuzzi1983fuzzi1983 Member UncommonPosts: 142
    Originally posted by Terminatr

I love this, it justs proves when i did play that i had full rights to ask why the hell witch elves had willpower on their endgame armor. that absolutely drove me nuts. purples or whatever color the legendary stuff was always had freakin willpower on them.

You know you want to resub to the game and play the same thing over...and over...and over... Well atleast they added new content. I still have hopes for war. But its going to take alot to bring me back.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Originally posted by Telonos

I hear patch 1.3 will help to clear up a lot of the itemization issues on endgame gear (my swordmaster is also wondering why the hell all his stuff has willpower on it. The very small increase in disrupt is nowhere near enough to keep up with what a ranged caster can dish out with their intelligence). 

Yeah, hopefully WAR eventually clears up all the wacky itemization, or changes classes so that it's not wacky itemization (my Ironbreaker had a tactic for a brief 30% run buff and Health recovery when a spell was disrupted.)

It's interesting to hear that strength apparently increases autoattack speed according to the article?    Maybe that explains why autoattack speeds are so slow to start out.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by Axehilt</i> <br />
    <b><blockquote><i>Originally posted by Telonos</i> <br />
    <b>
    <p>I hear patch 1.3 will help to clear up a lot of the itemization issues on endgame gear (my swordmaster is also wondering why the hell all his stuff has willpower on it. The very small increase in disrupt is nowhere near enough to keep up with what a ranged caster can dish out with their intelligence). </p>
    </b></blockquote>
    <p>Yeah, hopefully WAR eventually clears up all the wacky itemization, or changes classes so that it's not wacky itemization (my Ironbreaker had a tactic for a brief 30% run buff and Health recovery when a spell was disrupted.)</p>
    <p>It's interesting to hear that strength apparently increases autoattack speed according to the article?    Maybe that explains why autoattack speeds are so slow to start out.</p>
    </b></blockquote>
    <p>I'm not 100% on the strength increasing auto-attack speed thing...it seems kind of an arbitrary thing to attach to a stat when gear plays such a huge part in attack speed.  (not saying that this isn't correct, just saying i'd have to see some evidence of it as it is the first time I've ever heard that claim).  As far as I know, the only thing that increases auto-attack speed is the weapon's speed rating. I dunno, just doesn't make sense that it would work any other way (what if I stacked strength to insane amounts like virtually all melee DPS do? Sounds like the developers would just be asking for trouble).</p>
    <p>And yeah, <a href="http://www.wardb.com/spell.aspx?id=1409">Avalanche</a> is a great tactic (at least in theory, I've never played an IB before) if you have a way to pump up your disruption. From what I've seen though, unless you have class abilities that give you extra disrupt, or maybe some very specific gear with "+disrupt" on it (not willpower, the bonus is way too low) very cool tactics like that are rendered worthless. So yeah, totally see your point.</p>

• DrudgewynDrudgewyn Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember Posts: 3

After discussing it with our Order counterparts we couldn't decide whether the primary stat for Engineers was WS, BS or intelligence. But I can see what you're saying, as a main stat BS seems to be the most logical choice for them.

Guild Leader of The Irken Elite. Warhammer Online Destruction guild on Eltharion.

Originally posted by Drudgewyn

After discussing it with our Order counterparts we couldn't decide whether the primary stat for Engineers was WS, BS or intelligence. But I can see what you're saying, as a main stat BS seems to be the most logical choice for them.

Yeah, ballistics affects the damage output on all their ranged abilities, including grenades. The exceptions are a few weird ones in the Tinkerer tree that use strength  (but there have been talks about getting that changed to ballistics as well, because engineer equipment tends to have little in the way of strength on it, not to mention they get crap for it when they level).  Weapon skill is important, but I'd argue that survivability stats should come before it if your options are limited (a lot of engineer ability damage is Corporeal, especially abilities in the Grenadier tree, so not affected by weapon skill, only by the target's corporeal resistance and their mitigation stats like dodge and shield block. Ballistics also helps to offset target's mitigation, yet another reason why it's most important).  Squig herders and shadow warriors work the same way, though I'd say weapon skill is definitely more important for them than it is for engineers, as almost all of their damage is straight physical and they need the weaponskill to get through their target's armor. 

And I'm rambling now, so I think I'll stop there. I could talk game mechanics all day, hehe.

• wartywarty Member Posts: 461

man the items in this game always felt like they were done by dice rolls, one to see what class its for, the another one to decide 1st stat, then another for value, repeat until itemcount > 10,000

pretty sure the levels of the gear had abosolutely zero correlation to the amount of stats either, nor that the devs knew themselves which stats were actually good for any particular class (engineer especially, many WTF moments on 'upgrades')

if they got this fixed the game woud be a lot less frustratingly stupid. theyd surely be able to start class balancing, alwasy felt like there was none because no-one knew what gear to wear nor did they have any useable numbers to work with. heres hoping it recovers

Playing polished, lag free, feature complete games is carebear. Whining about a game you hate but still play is hardcore man!

Originally posted by warty

man the items in this game always felt like they were done by dice rolls, one to see what class its for, the another one to decide 1st stat, then another for value, repeat until itemcount > 10,000

pretty sure the levels of the gear had abosolutely zero correlation to the amount of stats either, nor that the devs knew themselves which stats were actually good for any particular class (engineer especially, many WTF moments on 'upgrades')

if they got this fixed the game woud be a lot less frustratingly stupid. theyd surely be able to start class balancing, alwasy felt like there was none because no-one knew what gear to wear nor did they have any useable numbers to work with. heres hoping it recovers

When was the last time you played, if I may ask? Because in the last couple of patches they've done a LOT to fix itemization issues. There's still some issues on some endgame gear, but quite a bit of it has been fixed, and supposedly the next patch will take care of the rest. Don't get me wrong, I'm not holding my breath that it'll ALL be fixed, but I'd say all in all, equipment in general is very useable and you should be able to achieve decent results with what's there. 

• wartywarty Member Posts: 461

a couple of 3 months now. was more a rhetorical question than a statement about how to fix things.

cant feel the drive to play again to see tho, just meant it in 'if people know what the stats do, the game might be more fun' kind of way. felt like the barage of random meaningless stats, well were meaningless, it detracted heavily from the game. unecessary confusion led to the feeling that the devs didnt know what they were doing :) hopefully thats fixed (regardless of how true it is/was, the feeling was there and thats all that counts)

Playing polished, lag free, feature complete games is carebear. Whining about a game you hate but still play is hardcore man!

a couple of 3 months now. was more a rhetorical question than a statement about how to fix things.
    cant feel the drive to play again to see tho, just meant it in 'if people know what the stats do, the game might be more fun' kind of way. felt like the barage of random meaningless stats, well were meaningless, it detracted heavily from the game. unecessary confusion led to the feeling that the devs didnt know what they were doing :) hopefully thats fixed (regardless of how true it is/was, the feeling was there and thats all that counts)

Ahh, gotcha, I totally know what you mean and agree with you. There's been a lot of issues with stats in general, and on items specifically. I've been playing around on the test server, and they are doing a LOT to revamp some of the ways that stats contribute to your character's performance. Not sure how it'll all end up, but at least they are working on it . For instance, they've been throwing around the idea of adding secondary affects to some stats so that similar stats compliment each other. Take weaponskill and willpower as an example: in one of the proposed changes, willpower will also affect crit chance on damaging spells in addition to it's current use (boosting healing ability). Weaponskill will also affect critical melee and ranged damage (so even for grenade spec engineers who deal a lot of corporeal damage, weaponskill will still be useful because it can give them bigger crits). That's just an example though, and may or may not make it into the live game that way, but again, at least it's being looked at.

Mechanics talk aside, honestly the only reason I play anymore is because it's fun as hell when you have a good group of people to play with. If you're in a good guild/alliance that knows how to coordinate open RVR (and you're on a server where both sides can field decent numbers during your preferred play time, I'm lucky in that I'm on Phoenix Throne, which is one of the more heavily populated servers)  it'll be good times even if you lose skirmishes.  If it weren't for that, I would've probably bailed a long time ago.

Mechanics talk aside, honestly the only reason I play anymore is because it's fun as hell when you have a good group of people to play with. If you're in a good guild/alliance that knows how to coordinate open RVR (and you're on a server where both sides can field decent numbers during your preferred play time, I'm lucky in that I'm on Phoenix Throne, which is one of the more heavily populated servers)  it'll be good times even if you lose skirmishes.  If it weren't for that, I would've probably bailed a long time ago.

ur last statement was said beautifully, and ur one of the few lucky ones who have found a group of ppl who know wth they are doing. I remember  when i found a nice group for pvp and it was so much fun even losing because it was a good fight. I actually loved the games instanced pvp over orvr especially with a good group. orvr was so freaking lame and repetative. I had more fun hanging out at order camps by myself even if i was outnumbered. There was actually one camp i snuck into and could target the flightmaster without being caught by guards.

When was the last time you played, if I may ask? Because in the last couple of patches they've done a LOT to fix itemization issues. There's still some issues on some endgame gear, but quite a bit of it has been fixed, and supposedly the next patch will take care of the rest. Don't get me wrong, I'm not holding my breath that it'll ALL be fixed, but I'd say all in all, equipment in general is very useable and you should be able to achieve decent results with what's there. 

this is addressed at ur sig, im assuming thats a white lion in the pic and if so, any witch elf u've owned was a sry excuse for one, white lions fail 1v1 witch elves lolol

my mistake, i meant swordmaster but its all the same, still fail

Originally posted by Terminatr

...truncated

this is addressed at ur sig, im assuming thats a white lion in the pic and if so, any witch elf u've owned was a sry excuse for one, white lions fail 1v1 witch elves lolol

my mistake, i meant swordmaster but its all the same, still fail

Hehe, I'm not going to get into an epeen match here, but will just say that in broad terms that DPS (like witch elves) are made to go after soft targets, tanks (like the swordmaster) are made to soak and/or mitigate damage from virtually all sources. That being said, one's performance one-on-one against any class is largely dependant on gear, level, and spec. When I'm specced to contend with melee DPS (like witch elves) I can take them. A Hoeth/Vaul specced SM geared and specced for avoidance (parry and bubbles) can definitely take a witch elf without too much trouble, all things being equal.  If I lose, it's not because the class is deficient, it's because I was deficient (whether it was through lack of decent gear, improper tactics, or just lack of skill). 

Obviously the sig was mostly meant in jest, but for a time (when WE were crazy sick when it came to the damage they could dish out) they were my first target priority. Still high on the list, but only after sorcs :P