Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wish: 4 Exclusive Screens + Concept Art!

AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623

Mutable Realms has just blessed us with 4 new and exclusive screen shots that show off the new human female model as well as the profoundly evil "Ankou" - a rare force that often means certain death for the unwary traveler who crosses paths with it.  In the background you can see a Jabberwock as well!

Below are the 4 new shots.  Registered members can view the high-rez versions if they are logged in:

MMORPG.com Exclusive (11.30.04)

View 1280x1024

View 1280x1024

View 1280x1024

View 1280x1024

Lastly, they have given us a very cool exclusive concept image of the Anokou:

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

Comments

• Bicknell55Bicknell55 Member UncommonPosts: 73
    Looks Great Like the rest, but plaaaaease.. the green lipstick? heheimage .. WIsH is an awesome looking game thus far

Bick

Bick

• blacksacblacksac Member Posts: 1,045
    hmmm... I do like! image

image I will go with a plum or passionate purple...

Bick

Bick

• strousestrouse Member Posts: 114
    this game's graphix look worse than world of warcraft
    I don't think so.. Son in WoW now.. WoW just enjoys the cartoonish "toons", but PvP is the draw there.  am in EQ2.  EQ2 better of the three thus far. Still Wish has a long way to go before even BeTa. we see

Bick

Bick

• AdrealAdreal Member Posts: 2,087
    Those screens look nice, but one only needs to click past them and see the others to know that these four are about as good as they get.

"Put your foot where your mouth is." - Wisdom from my grandfather
    "Paper or plastic? ... because I'm afraid I'll have to suffocate you unless you put this bag on your head..." - Ethnitrek
    AC1: Wierding from Harvestgain

• ValorusValorus Member Posts: 235

Screens do not look good at all. I know that in-game always looks alot better - they are gonna have to.

I don't think WoW graphics are cartoony at all. Not life like either, but nothing I've ever seen on Saturday morning cartoons.

And as for EQ2 - oh god I think I'm going to be sick again! My wife is still giving me a hard time about the money we spent on that hunk of trash. I always made jokes about EQ1 and grouping. /shout Level 51 Pally LFG for bathroom break! Of course I'd never get a group and end up wetting my pants.

I honestly didnt think they could take making someone have to group anymore than they did in EQ1 but oh was I wrong. I gave it till level 18 and enough was enough. Anyway sorry all - I'm off topic.

<runs to the bathroom holding mouth muttering something about EQ2>

• MisfitZMisfitZ Member Posts: 368

These screenshots look better than the others due to the fact that they are shots of the new player models.

They decided, after heavy criticism of their previous models, to re-do all of their character models. They have a long way to go before they're finished, you people seem to easily forget that it's a work in progress. Jugding a game by the way it looks before even the open beta? Give me a break.

Besides, Wish isn't trying to have the best graphics on the market. Why should they? They're not SOE, they don't have the established group of, no offense, ADDICTS, who they can guaruntee will buy their game, whether it's good or not.

Mutable Realms, the developer of Wish, is more interested in making a game with good gameplay, than making a tech demo for normal mapping and dynamic lighting. They want a game with fun social interaction, not simply forced grouping. They want a game where you don't have to - wait for it - ....

POWER LEVEL.

Yes, that's right, a Massively Multiplayer RolePlaying Game that doesn't involve grinding against static, re-spawning monsters for endless hours, just so you can reach "endgame" and finally play.

I know the concept must be startling, but work with me here.

One server. No shards. No zones. No instancing. Dynamic quests. Live Content.

And you cry about the graphics?

You narrow minded fools.image

..And then Man went on to prove that black was white and got killed at the nearest zebra crossing.

-----------------------------
    Listen Asmodeeus, seven years ago, Ultima Online didn't even have those pathetic "quests" that you refer to or those "professions" of ninja, samurai, necromancer, and paladin. Nor did it have any of the neon crap, or bug mounts. It didn't even have any "combat moves." You turned on attack and jousted with simplistic swings. It was a better game then. if you can't guess why then just uninstall the thing and move along. - Crabby

...and they lived happily ever after. The end.

I do hope you enjoy Wish, honestly I do. If its the best thing since sliced bread to you then fantastic!! However, I still feel it's my duty to try my best to reel you in a bit, even if for just a quick visit to reality.

The reality is computer games are not like books where one isn't supposed to judge it by the cover. Computer games for the vast majority of gamers is actually just that - it's judged by graphics alone. Now I'm not saying that if a game has pretty pictures that everyone is going to play and love it, but I'll bet ya a buffalo nickle it gets em through the door. Wish isn't going to do that if they keep things the way they are even if it has the best game play in the world lots and lots of people will pass it by once they see the screenshots.

My girlfriend sums it up pretty well when I try and introduce her to a new game with lets say, less than perfect graphics, and I'll quote - "Why would I want to look like that? You go play it. I'll stay where I am."

Bottom line is graphics are in - gameplay and content a very distant second. And if you don't believe me head on over to www.nvidia.com or www.ati.com and see how the war to have the best graphic card on the market is going. I don't think the demand for high performance video cards for games would exist if everyone though like you do, not that how you think is wrong or bad. =)

And as I close I'll give you a grand for instance on a game that is (in my opinion) one of those out there that has pretty pictures, but the game play is horrid - yet lots and lots of people still play - EQ2.

**edited for stupid typos - grrr**

• PrestonPreston Member Posts: 122

Originally posted by Valorus

Bottom line is graphics are in - gameplay and content a very distant second. And if you don't believe me head on over to www.nvidia.com or www.ati.com and see how the war to have the best graphic card on the market is going.

I think you are both correct and wrong depending on the type of gamer you are. If you are a carebear gamer a la EQ, AC, UO, Horizons, etc... then graphics mean everything to you. Gameplay and content are desired, but not absolutely essential. These types of players eat sugar. They need their sugar fix and eat the pretty cotton candy. After a few hours (years) however, they get sick and throw up from eating too much junk food.

Then there's the other type of gamer who has been trying to find challenging, exciting MMORPG's to play since the old days of UO, pre-trammel. These players are cynical, disappointed by the sugar EQ clones and lackluster game mechanics restricting player freedom. These players don't give a rat's ass about graphics and would play with stick figures if the game had great game mechanics and the ability to generate sustainable excitement over the long term. These players need protein and carbs in a game, not flowery sugar that melts in your mouth after a few minutes and leaves a bad aftertaste.

I fall into the last category of gamers. I want exciting gameplay, player freedom, and challenging experiences that can only be provided by fighting other players. I'm the Next Generation gamer that wants a challenge because I've done it all. And I want sustenance and purpose in a game, not a level treadmill. I'm a gamer, not a mouse stuck in a turning wheel. I want to run for excitement, not a piece of cheese I'll never get.

Graphics are one of the last things on my mind when I play a MMORPG. Icing on the cake, sure, but I'll take dynamic gameplay over graphics any day of the week.

Kingdom of Eleador

• -Inferno--Inferno- Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 325

The screenshots are new and exclusive. The concept art is not ;)

"Fire is never a gentle master..."

• VyelVyel Member Posts: 41

...and they lived happily ever after. The end.
    I do hope you enjoy Wish, honestly I do. If its the best thing since sliced bread to you then fantastic!! However, I still feel it's my duty to try my best to reel you in a bit, even if for just a quick visit to reality.
    The reality is computer games are not like books where one isn't supposed to judge it by the cover. Computer games for the vast majority of gamers is actually just that - it's judged by graphics alone. Now I'm not saying that if a game has pretty pictures that everyone is going to play and love it, but I'll bet ya a buffalo nickle it gets em through the door. Wish isn't going to do that if they keep things the way they are even if it has the best game play in the world lots and lots of people will pass it by once they see the screenshots.
    My girlfriend sums it up pretty well when I try and introduce her to a new game with lets say, less than perfect graphics, and I'll quote - "Why would I want to look like that? You go play it. I'll stay where I am."
    Bottom line is graphics are in - gameplay and content a very distant second. And if you don't believe me head on over to www.nvidia.com or www.ati.com and see how the war to have the best graphic card on the market is going. I don't think the demand for high performance video cards for games would exist if everyone though like you do, not that how you think is wrong or bad. =)
    And as I close I'll give you a grand for instance on a game that is (in my opinion) one of those out there that has pretty pictures, but the game play is horrid - yet lots and lots of people still play - EQ2.
    **edited for stupid typos - grrr**

I see where you're coming from, but history has not supported your position for MMOG's. FPS's? Absolutely. But MMOG's? No, not really.

If your conclusions were correct, if graphics greater than all and gameplay and content a distant second, then why wasn't FFIX larger in North America? Or why wasn't L2 larger in NA? How about AC2 at all? Those were games that were lauded for there graphics at the time of their release. Yet they were disappointing releases and after market retention.

There are a ton of pretty MMOG's that either weren't nearly as popular as they should have been, or just plain failed.

Also, if the foundation of your argument was so correct, SWG would have been the run away hit that SOE and Lucas Arts had imagined because it was clearly the prettiest girl at the prom upon release. They were expecting something to the stature of WoW (we'll get to that in a minute) but didn't. They had all the things to get the ADD crowd into the door; awesome graphics, and the SW logo. But it wasn't the run away hit they had imagined. Why was that? Why is it that UO still has 150-180k (depending on the source) of subscriptions? Why is it that there are hundreds and hundreds of MUD's out there?

Why is it that WoW, arguably the MMOG that looks the most like a "video game" than any other MMOG on the market is breaking records out of the gate? Your girlfriend (or was it your wife? You mentioned having both) wants to play a game where the elf ears resemble a rabbits? Yet, there it is, with sweeping success and setting sales records. And gain, why is that? It's stupendous graphics that a lot of the textures look beyond dated, yet fit into their world nicely? Most likely not. Most likely because it's Blizzard. And why trust Blizzard? Because they have always been on the cutting edge of industry graphics? Um, no. Never. Not once, in fact. It's because (drum role) they have a history of great gameplay.

Actually, there are many who don't judge a book by the cover, even though I still contest that the cover that's being judged is good and getting better daily. There are many that do, but to ignore the former is just that, ignoring it.

Wish Vault
    Wish Vault FAQ
    Wish Vault Forums

I see the points you have made and while they do seem like valid points I think you must of only read my post once.

What I said was that the graphics get the people through the door - after that of course game play and all the other various parts of the gaming puzzle have to all fit to together - if they don't then what you get is exactly what you pointed out - Lets take Lineage II for an example. Awesome graphics, horrid game play. What did they make the graphics so good? Of course to get people in the door. Did they keep them? Some they did - actually enough to turn a profit each month. Same thing with AC2 and FFIX. Both lured the masses in with state of the art graphics and effects. Not everyone stayed and in some games alot of people left, but the bottom line is they are all still here churning the money machine and they have the graphics to think for that. ESPECIALLY in MMORPGs.

Now let me reply to each of your finer points.

I see where you're coming from, but history has not supported your position for MMOG's. FPS's? Absolutely. But MMOG's? No, not really.

Actually history has supported what I'm saying. In fact MMORPGs have reinvented the way games are made.  You yourself pointed out several games that not only used graphics to lure people in, but set standards for their time and in many cases were leaps and bounds better than any FPS or RPG out there.

If your conclusions were correct, if graphics greater than all and gameplay and content a distant second, then why wasn't FFIX larger in North America? Or why wasn't L2 larger in NA? How about AC2 at all? Those were games that were lauded for there graphics at the time of their release. Yet they were disappointing releases and after market retention.

Because even a distant second will eventually catch up. My position here is not that graphics are the SOLE reason people will play a game and KEEP playing the game. But it is the bait to get you to bite! These games you talk about held alot of people's interest solely on graphical appearance AND with the hope that the game play and content improved as they leveled. I know... I was right there with em.

There are a ton of pretty MMOG's that either weren't nearly as popular as they should have been, or just plain failed.

I'm going to need a for instance here if your talking about a game with stellar graphics. I can think of alot of pretty games over the years that have faded over time, but not one that flopped right out of the shoot. Even Anarchy Online with all it's problems survived. On the other hand I can think of several games that flopped - some even before being released - because the graphics were not what was needed to get people to come and visit.

Also, if the foundation of your argument was so correct, SWG would have been the run away hit that SOE and Lucas Arts had imagined because it was clearly the prettiest girl at the prom upon release. They were expecting something to the stature of WoW (we'll get to that in a minute) but didn't. They had all the things to get the ADD crowd into the door; awesome graphics, and the SW logo. But it wasn't the run away hit they had imagined. Why was that? Why is it that UO still has 150-180k (depending on the source) of subscriptions? Why is it that there are hundreds and hundreds of MUD's out there?

Well SWG did in fact have high sales figures when released. If you look it up SWG enjoyed some of the best numbers out there for an initial release. The subscriber base then slowly started falling off because of the horrid game play. SWG I'm sad to say is boring like mad to me. But to SWG its ok. They stacked away tons of cash on the initial purchase, kept lots of people for at least a month or 2 raking in even more money and now we are where we are today. They still make money - enough to make an expansion and this was due to the fact that it was pretty enough to get people through the door.

As for UO and Muds - Back in it's day they were both pretty cool. UO is more a cult following in my opinion. The same reason people still goto the movie theatre to see the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Why is it that WoW, arguably the MMOG that looks the most like a "video game" than any other MMOG on the market is breaking records out of the gate? Your girlfriend (or was it your wife? You mentioned having both) wants to play a game where the elf ears resemble a rabbits? Yet, there it is, with sweeping success and setting sales records. And gain, why is that? It's stupendous graphics that a lot of the textures look beyond dated, yet fit into their world nicely? Most likely not. Most likely because it's Blizzard. And why trust Blizzard? Because they have always been on the cutting edge of industry graphics? Um, no. Never. Not once, in fact. It's because (drum role) they have a history of great gameplay.

I disagree that WoW looks like a "video game". Maybe your video card isn't able to display what mine can, but I've spent countless moments looking at a vista with the sun reflecting off the ocean or a nice waterfall scene. No, its not video gamish at all - to me. As for my girlfriend, I never said she was playing WoW (she is though btw) Maybe the ears look like rabbit ears to you, but not to me. Let me know if you find the mold for the "real" elves that your basing your comparison on. I'd like to see what they look like.

I'm sorry in advance, but your dead wrong about blizzard not being on the cutting edge of graphics - Blizzard is just one of the few companies out there that seem to get it right time after time both graphical and gameplay.

Actually, there are many who don't judge a book by the cover, even though I still contest that the cover that's being judged is good and getting better daily. There are many that do, but to ignore the former is just that, ignoring it.

You are 100% correct. There are alot of people out there that don't judge a book by the cover and likewise a game by its graphics but there are even more that do than don't.

Make em pretty and watch them fill the servers - will they all stay? Not a chance. But the more people they can get into the game the better the chance of a supporting user base to keep them in business.

Thanks for the civil reply =)

• VyelVyel Member Posts: 41

You are 100% correct. There are alot of people out there that don't judge a book by the cover and likewise a game by its graphics but there are even more that do than don't.
    Make em pretty and watch them fill the servers - will they all stay? Not a chance. But the more people they can get into the game the better the chance of a supporting user base to keep them in business.
    Thanks for the civil reply =)

I'll mainly focus on this quote seeing how I'm still flabbergasted that anyone would look at WoW and think "Oh yeah, that's not video gamish at all" and then tell me to find real looking elves. Well, how about humans. Can I find them and use them for reference? I'll show you elves with more realistic style elves if you show me humans with 11 inch wastes and 80 inch shoulders. Deal? WoW has humans, doesn't it? And they look real to you? Their bark on their trees looks real to you? Their flora? Fauna? All look "real" to you? Doesn't look like a video game at all to you? Oi. Ok, like I said, wasn't going to belabor anything but that last paragraph.

I understand what you're saying. People are simpletons. They like shiny objects. Make it pretty and people will at least check it out. Yes.

But you are making my point; in the end, people don't put up with it.

Not only do you make my point, you hammer it home. Thanks.

Now, if the emphasis was so much on the graphics, people would have stayed in droves rather than left in droves from those games. If gameplay was so much a distant second that you infer, it would be a much less of an issue.

And games like SWG would have been the run away hit they wanted, not the one they have now with decent success. Not one person at LA or SOE would have looked at those numbers prior to release and said "Awesome!" Not one. AC2 would have been enormous if graphics were the "be all, end all" you suggest. But that's not the case.

The turn around and attrition is too fast. The shininess wears off too quickly for gameplay to be as far back on the scale that you say it is. This would explain why people try new games and go back to their old games. The luster wears off, and the gameplay is lacking or non-innovative, therefore giving them no reason to leave their old game if the new game 1) just sucks, or 2) is no different from their old game.

But for every game out there, I can show you people who hate its graphics. I swear I could show a real life picture and there will be certain people who look at it and say "Hmm, trees suck. View distance is ok, but the sky needs some work. And those models? Please, I've seen better crawl out of a cat's ass". Go to any board, any game, and you'll see some, no matter what, will hate the graphics.

Even your beloved WoW had people lambasting its graphics. No, really. I know that's hard to accept, but despite your rose colored glasses, there are those out there who thought them "cartoonish" and even subpar for a MMOG in 2004. Even EQII had its critics.

So you'll have to excuse me when I don't get overly excited when I see some people don't like Wish's. Par for the course. No one will agree on anything let alone everything. But like I said, their graphics have come a long way since last year, are much better, and those SS's don't even do them justice. Not even close. Besides, I believe in gameplay, and this is not just another derivative game trying to emulate a single player experience. And despite some people's denial about that, there are quite a bit of people looking for an interactive game that resembles MUD/UO/PnP experience much more than the derivative type game. The game that can deliver dynamic content will do well regardless if everyone agrees on their look or not, because as stated, not everyone is ever going to agree on graphics, just like they are never going to agree on gameplay either.

PS What's with the bold?

Wish Vault
    Wish Vault FAQ
    Wish Vault Forums