Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Matrix Online: Closing July 31, Game Over Q&A

SzarkSzark News ManagerMember Posts: 4,420

The folks at the Matrix Online recently announced that players would be jacking out for the last time as the game is set to close down for good at the end of July. To clear up lingering questions about the shut down SOE has posted a Q&A.

As you have recently read in Dan “Walrus” Myers producer letter All Good Things Must End, The Matrix Online service will be discontinued and the servers will go dark on July 31st. After 4 memorable years of sharing amazing stories and epic adventures with a wonderful and dedicated community, we saw how deep the rabbit hole went and it was time to write the final chapter of the story. We understand that there are many questions and will do our best to answer them here.

What happens to all the code/data for The Matrix Online?

Sony Online Entertainment and Warner Brothers will retain all of the code and data from The Matrix Online.

Can someone open an emulated server for The Matrix Online?

Sony Online Entertainment and Warner Brothers hold the copyrights for The Matrix Online stories and data so creating a fan owned and operated emulated MxO server would be against those copyrights.

Read more here.

Comments

• MJarkerMJarker Member Posts: 3

might want to proofread before posting lol

• JonolinbJonolinb Member Posts: 66
    Wow. Nice.
  • miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

jacking off eh?

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

hmmm jacking off

anyway, was this any good to begin with

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• SzarkSzark News ManagerMember Posts: 4,420

Obviously it was supposed to say jacking out. I assure you all that humorous typos are in no way related to the fact that this is my second last Friday doing this monkey job.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156
    Originally posted by Szark

Obviously it was supposed to say jacking out. I assure you all that humorous typos are in no way related to the fact that this is my second last Friday doing this monkey job.

awww /hugs szark

• abyss610abyss610 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,131

wow didn't think SOE would ever close a game after they added the station pass.

• ValeranValeran Member Posts: 925

You gotta admit its a good laugh though.  ;)

--------
    Ten Golden Rules Of Videogame Fanboyism

"SOE has probably united more gamers in hatred than Blizzard has subs"...daelnor

• etherionetherion Member Posts: 7

*coughing fit*

• BodeusBodeus Member Posts: 516

I never thought it would happen. I bet this will worry the Vanguards folks. Its seems SOE WILL cloase down games that do not do well. So much for permenant life support.

• InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663

I'll do your monkey job, where can I apply?

I'm being dead serious.

Why did this game fail and how come SOE just does this without any recourse for the community?

• lornphoenixlornphoenix Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by SgtFrog

hmmm jacking off

anyway, was this any good to begin with

It was ok, but not good enough to warrent subbing to, imo.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

The Matrix Online has, imo, always been one of the most underrated and overlooked MMORPG's out there. It still stands out as one of the best movie licensed video games ever.

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

Well with the Agency and DC Universe coming out not only does shutting down the Matrix doesn't surprise me but i wouldn't put it past them doing the same thing to SWG. Vanguard seems like it has somewhat of a stronger community than those two had so i see them keeping that game going.

Originally posted by Inktomi

I'll do your monkey job, where can I apply?

I'm being dead serious.

Why did this game fail and how come SOE just does this without any recourse for the community?

You seriously need to ask this question?

--------

"SOE has probably united more gamers in hatred than Blizzard has subs"...daelnor

• hayes303hayes303 Member UncommonPosts: 427

Vanguard seems to be going through a bit of a resurgence. People must be getting a bit tired of wow, beause there seem to be a lot of people taking a second look at vanguard now.

• bmdevinebmdevine Member Posts: 429
    Originally posted by Gameloading

The Matrix Online has, imo, always been one of the most overrated and overlooked MMORPG's out there. It still stands out as one of the best movie licensed video games ever.

Did you perhaps mean underrated and overlooked?  It sounds like that may be what you meant.

• bmdevinebmdevine Member Posts: 429

Monkey job = spanking?  Just wondering how the JO reference could have gotten in there...

• InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663

Yes, I do. 

And for once in my natural born life, in my history of playing mmorpg's I would like an intelligent and honest answer.

Is that too much to ask?

My reason, if I decide to play another SOE game, example:VANGUARD that Beauturkey has been talking about. I would like to know what kind of company I am getting involved with.

I never did the EQ or EQ2 thing, I don't know the history of SOE to tough.

Work with me here.

• HeidiHeidi Member Posts: 27
    Originally posted by musicmann

Well with the Agency and DC Universe coming out not only does shutting down the Matrix doesn't surprise me but i wouldn't put it past them doing the same thing to SWG. Vanguard seems like it has somewhat of a stronger community than those two had so i see them keeping that game going.

You will not have long to wait for that realization of SWG closing down.  As Valeran and I have discussed in another thread Smedley has already put his foot in his mouth by stating in an interview that he cannot wait to play Bioware's version of SWG.  He has also stated that if SOE's SWG looses subscribers after SWTOR launches then he will possibly consider closing SWG.  Why this idiot is still President of SOE I have no idea. 

• docminusdocminus Member Posts: 717

The folks at the Matrix Online recently announced that players would be jacking out for the last time as the game is set to close down for good at the end of July. To clear up lingering questions about the shut down SOE has posted a Q&A.

As you have recently read in Dan “Walrus” Myers producer letter All Good Things Must End, The Matrix Online service will be discontinued and the servers will go dark on July 31st. After 4 memorable years of sharing amazing stories and epic adventures with a wonderful and dedicated community, we saw how deep the rabbit hole went and it was time to write the final chapter of the story. We understand that there are many questions and will do our best to answer them here.
    What happens to all the code/data for The Matrix Online?

Sony Online Entertainment and Warner Brothers will retain all of the code and data from The Matrix Online.
    Can someone open an emulated server for The Matrix Online?

Sony Online Entertainment and Warner Brothers hold the copyrights for The Matrix Online stories and data so creating a fan owned and operated emulated MxO server would be against those copyrights.

Read more here.

Sad that yet another MMO is closing down. MxO was my first, since I couldn't get a EU-copy of WoW at the time. And after that I continued to SWG actually, until the NGE hit and it became WoW after all....

Let's not forget, that SOE didn't develop this game, they took over after 2(?) years. Not that they did such a great job keeping it alive of course....

I wonder if we will see more MMO closures in the future, now that the market is starting to get flooded by them.

imageimage

Originally posted by Inktomi

Yes, I do. 
    And for once in my natural born life, in my history of playing mmorpg's I would like an intelligent and honest answer.
    Is that too much to ask?
    My reason, if I decide to play another SOE game, example:VANGUARD that Beauturkey has been talking about. I would like to know what kind of company I am getting involved with.
    I never did the EQ or EQ2 thing, I don't know the history of SOE to tough.
    Work with me here.

Start with EQ and SWG.  SWG especially will give you enough history on how they feel about their customers via statements from their own pieholes.

--------

• clwoodsclwoods Member Posts: 625
    Originally posted by Gameloading

The Matrix Online has, imo, always been one of the most overrated and overlooked MMORPG's out there. It still stands out as one of the best movie licensed video games ever.

I think you mean underrated.

I actually never played this, which is sad because I've seen the movie(the first one) well over 100 times.  Literally, best movie ever.

• Greyhawk4x4Greyhawk4x4 Member UncommonPosts: 480

Very sad...MxO had so much potential.

• RandaltRandalt Member UncommonPosts: 15

I played MxO for a while, enjoyed it for the most part (the jumping!), but my PC on dialup had horrible, horrible lag and rubberbanding. I remember when the dozens of Neo/Agent Smith clones attacked players near the phone booths, it was so frustrating to not get a usable frame rate, even with every setting turned down. Got tired of the repetitive killing of gang members.

I know much was fixed over time, including an updated fight system, and my PC & connection are better, but I'm on other games now. Thanks for the fun!