Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Agency: Hal Milton Interview

DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

MMORPG.com spoke to The Agency Lead Designer Hal Milton about the game's progress, balancing console/PC crowd, the game's UI and much more.

Another focus has been their player vs. player (PvP) game. In The Agency, all their worlds – or servers – feed into the same PvP environment, which indicates a more firmly segregated form of PvP than a lot of other recent and upcoming games have boasted.

One of the most fascinating aspects of The Agency, though, is their complete and total disregard for individual genres. They’re not afraid to introduce elements that they think will work, even if they’re far afield of what is expected in this genre.

A good example of this is their Operative System.

“Operatives are collectible characters in the world that based on how you play and what kind of agent you’ve created you’ll be able to have access to different ones,” explained Milton.

Read it all here.

Dana Massey
Formerly of MMORPG.com
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Comments

• HikeHike Member UncommonPosts: 33

I must say, I've been keepin my eye on the Agency since it was revealed, and I'm realy looking forward to see how this game will play. Because on paper it seems quite awesome. :)

WoW Char: lvl 60 Hunter @ EU Magtheridon
    http://www.ars-invictus.se

• TruethTrueth Member Posts: 287

It sounds a bit wonky to me. Did I read that correctly - it will have PS3 users and PC users? Sounds like oil and water. Since it's Sony they will also probably try and slip in some micro-transaction crap. Heaven help you Hal, if you get that dirt bag Silius from Vanguard on your team.

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860

hmm...

" There’s also just something really cool about the idea of getting a text message from your explosives expert while you’re in a bar."

SOE's Operative Text Message: <<Priority Encoded Message>> Troneas, I have found clues to the entrance to the bunker. Our mark has been spotted in the area and evidence suggest he will camp there for the night. I can continue my surveillance to gather more clues or explode the whole damn building to pieces. <<<Operative Out>>> To continue surveillance, PRESS 1 (U$2,00); to explode the building, PRESS 2 (U$3,00); to ignore the message, PRESS 3 (will loose the operative); to purchase the new and exciting X-2000 Masterpiece Gun PRESS 4 (U$4); to purchase Nightvision infrared R-45 goggles PRESS 5 (U$4); to purhcase...

• ssnautilusssnautilus Member Posts: 373
    Originally posted by Troneas

hmm...
    " There’s also just something really cool about the idea of getting a text message from your explosives expert while you’re in a bar."
    SOE's Operative Text Message: <<Priority Encoded Message>> Troneas, I have found clues to the entrance to the bunker. Our mark has been spotted in the area and evidence suggest he will camp there for the night. I can continue my surveillance to gather more clues or explode the whole damn building to pieces. <<<Operative Out>>> To continue surveillance, PRESS 1 (U$2,00); to explode the building, PRESS 2 (U$3,00); to ignore the message, PRESS 3 (will loose the operative); to purchase the new and exciting X-2000 Masterpiece Gun PRESS 4 (U$4); to purchase Nightvision infrared R-45 goggles PRESS 5 (U$4); to purhcase...

LOL. And then the Anti-Terror squad (after intercepting numerous suspicious texts and emails) bursts thru the door (and windows) and ... you disappear forever...

• I was excited for this till I read this article.

First, they claim it won't be dumbed down, but because they are making it PS3 compatible, it will be even better on the pc??? OK, FAIL. Fail left and right on that one. What a joke. It needs to be designed for the pc if it's going to be better on the pc.

Making it a console game is a major fail. Big mistake. Sorry. but sitting in front of a ps3 for hours on end playing a game such as this isn't the same as a pc. It just isn't. These aren't the kinds of games you play in your living room where your little sister wants to watch Dora the Explorah. Como?

Next up is the wonderful (and by wonderful I mean worthless) world of Free to Play. Welcome to microtransaction mania. The WORST thing to happen to gaming since the whole ads in games debaucle.

Microtransactions make games worthless to me and i'm sure many others. I just love games where the people with advantages are the rich jack holes who get anything they want from mommy. So awesome.

Why doesn't someone take a semi-new approach and charge 5 bucks a month instead of 15 and ditch the microtransactions altogether? Then it won't be a bank breaker or give the unfair advantage or access to the "cool" stuff to just the fortunate few. And pull an eve online and let people pay with paypal or other means without credit cards if they still want all the little kids to come and scream profanities (which eve thankfully avoids due to it's insane learning curve).

The game is doomed from the start if this is how it's going to be. Which is too bad since it is a cool idea. It would be nice to get a decent mmo that isn't set in a freaking fairy world. Something urban would be fresh. It's just too bad they are setting out to ruin it with concole garbage and balance breaking microtransactions.

• hades302hades302 Member Posts: 61

Basically, the limitations imposed by the PS3 will produce a superior developed MMO for a PC. Right...

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Well it is a known fact that  a keyboard and mouse are superior to the console controller in playing a game.  Most PS3 owners don't have them, hence they will not be required to play the game on the console.  Hence you can bet the game has had to be dumbed down alot so that console players don't get constantly owned in the pvp portions of the game.

When you add in the RMT factor, you can pretty much consign this game to the automatic loser status bin.

Someday, someone at Sony will wake up to the fact that Smedley lost his touch years ago and has kept SOE in a tailspin forever.  I just can't imagine anything good coming out of SOE while this fool is at the helm.  How can any exec be so out of touch with his customers?

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604

OK I get that a LOT of you guys are SOE haters, but come on. I read countless threads in these forums from people demanding something different. Constant whining about how all MMO's are the same. Well it sounds like they are trying to do just that. The game will have unique MMO elements and yet play like an FPS. The operatives system sounds promising and would be a welcome change from the oh so overdone crafting systems out there.

Also I own both a decent gaming PC, and PS3. My PS3 can render some extremely impressive HD graphics AND it can support KB/Mouse so I'm guessing there will be fewer limitation than you think.

I am really hoping they can pull this off! Most companies just don't take chances on anything new. It is your right to rant and rave, but until we actually see a game it's pointless

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Cliche Negative Response!

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Well it is a known fact that  a keyboard and mouse are superior to the console controller in playing a game.  Most PS3 owners don't have them, hence they will not be required to play the game on the console.  Hence you can bet the game has had to be dumbed down alot so that console players don't get constantly owned in the pvp portions of the game.
    When you add in the RMT factor, you can pretty much consign this game to the automatic loser status bin.
    Someday, someone at Sony will wake up to the fact that Smedley lost his touch years ago and has kept SOE in a tailspin forever.  I just can't imagine anything good coming out of SOE while this fool is at the helm.  How can any exec be so out of touch with his customers?

Yeah if the only games you ever play are RTS, FPS and MMORPG's. Try downloading the Devil May Cry 4 demo and see how well your mouse & keyboard will work.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Well I was referring to any game written for both the mouse/keyboard and console controller.  You just can do so much more with the mouse/keyboard solution it is just a slam dunk.

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Well I was referring to any game written for both the mouse/keyboard and console controller.  You just can do so much more with the mouse/keyboard solution it is just a slam dunk.

The thing is, you can't. A mouse & Keyboard just doesn't give you as much control over your characters movement as a controller does. Keyboards tend to use WASD for movement. Thats only 4 buttons allowing you to move into 8 directions. You can have more but only if you use the mouse, which also handles your camera. This means that you can't have full control over your character movement without using your camera.

Controllers don't have this problem. You can push the stick in any direction without ever touching the camera.

• NekrataalNekrataal Member Posts: 557

Global Agenda FTW! :P

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by hades302

Basically, the limitations imposed by the PS3 will produce a superior developed MMO for a PC. Right...

Yeah, quite a bizarre logic. It's like going to a country suffering from bad harvest and telling the people it will make them healthier... yeah, right. Less is more. ><

I just stopped reading after that BS.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• ValeranValeran Member Posts: 925

hmm...

Damn that is funny but yet sobering as I could see that being true.

--------
    Ten Golden Rules Of Videogame Fanboyism

"SOE has probably united more gamers in hatred than Blizzard has subs"...daelnor

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Valeran

hmm...

Damn that is funny but yet sobering as I could see that being true.

Heh, not to mention that they arrest you as being suspected for terrorism. ;)

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• InteritusInteritus Member UncommonPosts: 236

They have actually said for a long time PC and PS3 users will likely not be playing on the same servers because of obvious advantages to control.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    Originally posted by Tekaelon

OK I get that a LOT of you guys are SOE haters, but come on. I read countless threads in these forums from people demanding something different. Constant whining about how all MMO's are the same. Well it sounds like they are trying to do just that. The game will have unique MMO elements and yet play like an FPS. The operatives system sounds promising and would be a welcome change from the oh so overdone crafting systems out there.
    Also I own both a decent gaming PC, and PS3. My PS3 can render some extremely impressive HD graphics AND it can support KB/Mouse so I'm guessing there will be fewer limitation than you think.
    I am really hoping they can pull this off! Most companies just don't take chances on anything new. It is your right to rant and rave, but until we actually see a game it's pointless

One way to look at it is innovation on gameplay and another is to see it as removal of more traditional systems so that a new mechanic can be put in place that can be monetized through cash shop sales and rare virtual loot cards.  Time will tell I guess.

• Originally posted by Tekaelon

I have nothing against SOE. Hating publishers is useless. If a crap game is made, it's on the devs. If it's great, I don't care who published it.

That said, ps3 supports keyboard and mouse, sure. I have a gaming PC, ps3, 360, all but the Wii (sold it). But name any game that supports playing with k/m on the ps3. I don't know any FPS, or any games that support k/m on ps3.

I agree the game sounds to have at least a someone new novel idea. But whining and complaining even before the game is somewhat justified due to the fact that so many games are so hyped and claim so much and don't pull it off it's rediculous.

Devs need to read what the potential customers are thinking good or bad while they are developing and not just during beta.

If this turns into another Hellgate London it will be a sad day for us all.

Bottom line, I hope you are right that it won't be as bad as I think, but I have low expectations with it actually being a ps3 game, but you never know. But it's nothing against SOE. It's all based on the fact that as to date I can't think of a single console game that has transitioned to pc as well as they are claiming with their whole "being made for ps3 will make it a better pc game" crap.

So here's to hoping!

Reply Quote Edit

Unreal Tournament 3 on the PS3 supports keyboard & mouse.

• Originally posted by Gameloading

Wasn't aware. That's 1.

I am doubting the agency will be supporting them though.

• April-RainApril-Rain Member UncommonPosts: 316

I reserve my judgement, champions online is coming out on the xbox 360 as well as pc and if they pull it off, then i dont know why anyone would have a problem including soe on doing the same.

Playing: FFXIV
    Future: wishing for SWG 2, World of Warcraft Classic
    Played: Most current and extinct MMO's - 18 Years in....

Interesting Fact - I own 27 Tarantula's

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Gameloading

Yes, but name me one console player that actually has bought a keyboard/mouse for his/her console and actually uses it.

Fact is, people buy a console so they can be lazy and hang in their sofa with their controller in their hand.

Not sitting in a very uncomfortable position behind a salon table with mouse and keyboard in front of the TV.

And so, the game will be DUMBED DOWN and optimised for the CONTROLLER!

Same for Unreal Tournament 3. It's optimised and easy to play with the XBOX360 controller!

Cheers

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

If its possible to make a game like Mass effect run good on console and pc its possible to make any console game mmo or not run good on pc .