Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buying NCSoft stock.

VABeachDaveVABeachDave Member Posts: 228

Looking as to how NCSoft seems to be doing so well I have been considering buying stock in them. Has anyone else here done so? From looking at their website however it appears they are only listed on the Korean Stock Exchange. I went onto Etrade (Who I have some other stocks with) and they have NCSoft listed on their website but with a $0. value for their stock and of course it does not appear I can buy their stock through them anyhow.

Has anyone here bought stock on the Korean Stock Exchange? Doing some research I found a few stock brokers that trade there but it seems it's not all that web based and you have to apply to the Korean Government to trade there in the first place. I also don't know those stock brokers which is a big minus on my part.

Any thoughts?

Fan sites:
AION-On-Line.com
aionicthoughts.wordpress.com/
www.aionarmory.com/
www.aionglobal.com/
www.aionsource.com/
www.areyouhellbound.com/forum/
www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/253
www.onrpg.com/

Official sites:
www.ncsoft.com/global/
www.aiononline.com/us/
eu.aiononline.com/en/

Comments

• InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663

I've already looked into it, you can see some news on the Yahoo!Uk portal of yahoo finance HERE

And you can get realtime (as realtime as it gets for korean time) at reuters: HERE

And you might say, "How much is 145,000KRW worth in US dollars or whatever currency you use?" I use the yahoo! currency converter to USD and it comes out to a whopping $148.00 per share. You can change it if you need to HERE

NCsoft isn't a bad stock and hasn't been for a while; I think you have the right idea, Aion is going to make the stock go higher. It probably will but just be careful, anyway I hope this helps.

Play safe,

~Ink

• VABeachDaveVABeachDave Member Posts: 228

Do you know of a trustworthy Korean Stock Broker?

Fan sites:
    AION-On-Line.com
    www.aionarmory.com/
    www.aionglobal.com/
    www.aionsource.com/
    www.onrpg.com/

Official sites:
    www.ncsoft.com/global/
    www.aiononline.com/us/
    eu.aiononline.com/en/

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

NC soft didn't do so good last quarter...

Aion might do very good, but most of the players it attracts comes from their own games (Lineage I and II) Next to that they just announced GW2 will not be released in 2009.

TRANSLATED FROM DUTCH :

Placed SpankmasterC on 16-05-09 @ 15:13

As a component of a presentation concerning last year NCSoft the numbers of have confessed players of their games made. More strongly still, they have announced that Guild will appear true 2 just in 2010, or 2011. The original notice of Guild true 2 descends again beginning 2007 and then was aimed at release date somewhere in second half of 2008.

Meanwhile the hope had established on 2009, but year also this does not appear feasable for NCSoft. Then the player numbers, to start with the Korean Aion, a here relative unknown game. Toch it does not do this game unpleasant, in December 2008 this game 40 had servers twists with then up to 239,181 people who were for playing at the same time. Concerning the total number of players nothing has been unfortunately confessed.

Then we have it here what more known City or Heroes/Villains, the super heroes MMO. Also of this the " are; highest competitor users" indicated oftewel the most of players at the same time. In December 2008 this number on 13,823 lay, a fall with respect to December 2007 then up to 17,058 users at the same time active there were. Dear month was June 2007, then up to 26,669 players discovered inner superheld/superslechterik at the same time their there. The number of servers has gone remained by the years the same, namely fifteen stuks. Vervolgens Guild true, of this game in contrast to the others have been indicated no competitor users but the total number of activated accounts. This meter stands in December 2008 on 5,803,000, an increase with respect to December 2007 then the meter still on 4,878,000 stood. In December 2006 the meter stood still on 3,122,000. Van Guild true ones no server numbers have been unfortunately confessed.

Now then the figures concerning the Lineage popular in Korea, of which we again the competitor has users. In December 2008 this meter on maximum 162,328 users stood at the same time, an increase with respect to the year for that then continued put these on 138,469. The number of servers has also increased by two stuks to 47. Then as last game of which we have the figures there Lineage 2 are, again enormously popular in Korea. In December 2008 there up to 109,850 players were find at the same time online, a fall with respect to December 2007 then there still maximum 137,285 players at the same time online were. Also is there in comparison with 2007 one server less, as a result of which there now still 32 concerning its. Vaster statistics with months still more are find here.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• EphimeroEphimero Member Posts: 1,860

last quarter ncsoft had a 315% improvement and the number of their older MMOs weren't affected by Aion's release. Those numbers weren't counting China's release though, where they have 110+ servers already 1 month after official release.

So yeah, I'd think it's a safe bet.

• VABeachDaveVABeachDave Member Posts: 228

Here is a graph of how NCSoft's stock has been doing over the last two years:

finance.yahoo.com/echarts

Fan sites:
    AION-On-Line.com
    www.aionarmory.com/
    www.aionglobal.com/
    www.aionsource.com/
    www.onrpg.com/

Official sites:
    www.ncsoft.com/global/
    www.aiononline.com/us/
    eu.aiononline.com/en/

• amark_8amark_8 Member Posts: 75

Personally, and this is just my opinion, I think it is too risky to invest in a company on a foreign stock exchange without being completely 100% confident in the company. Also, make sure you know about the extra costs involved with buying on a foreign exchange.

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by VABeachDave

Looking as to how NCSoft seems to be doing so well I have been considering buying stock in them. Has anyone else here done so? From looking at their website however it appears they are only listed on the Korean Stock Exchange. I went onto Etrade (Who I have some other stocks with) and they have NCSoft listed on their website but with a $0. value for their stock and of course it does not appear I can buy their stock through them anyhow.

Has anyone here bought stock on the Korean Stock Exchange? Doing some research I found a few stock brokers that trade there but it seems it's not all that web based and you have to apply to the Korean Government to trade there in the first place. I also don't know those stock brokers which is a big minus on my part.

Any thoughts?

I guess this must be the next gen fanboi badge, buying stock. NCsoft has and always will churn out half-baked mmo's. Sure they make great eye-candy, but eye-candy alone won't support an mmo. If you doubt it, look at the failures of Tabula Rasa and where CoX is mostly there too. Just because they have a new mmo out doesn't mean they are doing well. Even Turbine was trying to release Lotro & DDO while AC2 was shutting down for good and relying souly on AC1 for funds until they got the new funders.

This is laughable at best. I'm not saying NCSoft is going down or going away anytime soon even though I wish it would because it won't. NCsoft has the support of their communist leader since they help to fund their country I'm sure, lol. Not much else is going on in that country considering over 75% of their country doesn't even have electricity. So go ahead and support them while the money you send goes right to their government.

Here is a graph of how NCSoft's stock has been doing over the last two years:

finance.yahoo.com/echarts

Whoever bought stock before Aion's release in Korea must be pretty happy right now :x

Originally posted by Czanrei

Any thoughts?

I guess this must be the next gen fanboi badge, buying stock. NCsoft has and always will churn out half-baked mmo's. Sure they make great eye-candy, but eye-candy alone won't support an mmo. If you doubt it, look at the failures of Tabula Rasa and where CoX is mostly there too. Just because they have a new mmo out doesn't mean they are doing well. Even Turbine was trying to release Lotro & DDO while AC2 was shutting down for good and relying souly on AC1 for funds until they got the new funders.

This is laughable at best. I'm not saying NCSoft is going down or going away anytime soon even though I wish it would because it won't. NCsoft has the support of their communist leader since they help to fund their country I'm sure, lol. Not much else is going on in that country considering over 75% of their country doesn't even have electricity. So go ahead and support them while the money you send goes right to their government.

Ncsoft is a south Korean company, and South Korea is one of the most technology advanced countries in the world, near Japan's level if not higher already.

Tabula Rasa was developed by Destination games and CoH was developed by Cryptic studios.

Let's take a look at the games developed by NCsoft:

Lineage I: Reached a peak of 3,5M concurrent subscribers and going after 10 years for more than 1M.

Lineage II: Reaching a peak of 3M concurrent subscribers and going after 5 years with more than 800k.

Aion: 41 servers in Korea, making it the most popular game over there beating wow out of the top, and more than 110 servers in China, beating wow also since the9's debacle. No precise numbers yet, but the aproximations are between 1,6M and 3,5M of subscribers.

75% of their country have better internet than you might ever dream of. South Korean Government is right wingish and the south korean political mode is a popular democracy btw.

If I was to listen to someone before thinking wether to buy stock or not, trust me, it wouldn't be you.

I admit I got their part of the country backwards though South Korea isn't any better. This quote was taken from NY Times a couple years ago concerning their great internet there. I spent alot of time over there while in the military and one thing I do remember is neither north or south likes americans. For example try to get a taxi there and they will drive on the sidewalk to run you over. Americans have to use an embassy, military, or USO transportation because the nationals are hostile to americans.

"In South Korea, which has one of the world's most developed Internet communities, the problem known as "cyberviolence" has reached frightening proportions, officials say."

The rest of the story can be found at http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/14/world/asia/14iht-korea.2481503.html

It hasn't gotten any better there since then either. Here is the current news there;

"The government in South Korea has enforced the real-name verification law this year to prevent irresponsible messages. From April 1st, 2009, websites which have 100,000 unique visitors per day have to verify users’ identify before they post any content on the websites."

And here is the link for the whole story; http://flipthemedia.com/index.php/2009/05/free-speech-and-cyber-violence/

The major problem with our nation's economic spiral is because of out-sourcing and investing everywhere but where it should be, here in the usa. It doesn't make much sense to go elsewhere to help or support others if we can't even take care of our own problems. So how about investing in a US company instead of trying to sound haughty by throwing away your money over seas.

And by the way about the titles for NCsoft, barely half of all of their titles are actualy developed by NCsoft so why split hairs? lol The point is NCsoft is responsible ultimately for a title once it is launched because it is their name it is published under. As far as Lineage goes it is only admirable maybe if you live in SK because it's just not a mainstream mmo in the US. Here is a little chart to help show this;

http://www.mmogchart.com/Chart5.html  Clearly L2 is nothing to brag about, at best it rates mediocre right now.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

~~~crawl's back under his rock~~~

Dam dude take some history lessons.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

I admit I got their part of the country backwards though South Korea isn't any better. This quote was taken from NY Times a couple years ago concerning their great internet there. I spent alot of time over there while in the military and one thing I do remember is neither north or south likes americans. For example try to get a taxi there and they will drive on the sidewalk to run you over. Americans have to use an embassy, military, or USO transportation because the nationals are hostile to americans.
    "In South Korea, which has one of the world's most developed Internet communities, the problem known as "cyberviolence" has reached frightening proportions, officials say."
    The rest of the story can be found at http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/14/world/asia/14iht-korea.2481503.html
    It hasn't gotten any better there since then either. Here is the current news there;
    "The government in South Korea has enforced the real-name verification law this year to prevent irresponsible messages. From April 1st, 2009, websites which have 100,000 unique visitors per day have to verify users’ identify before they post any content on the websites."

And here is the link for the whole story; http://flipthemedia.com/index.php/2009/05/free-speech-and-cyber-violence/
    The major problem with our nation's economic spiral is because of out-sourcing and investing everywhere but where it should be, here in the usa. It doesn't make much sense to go elsewhere to help or support others if we can't even take care of our own problems. So how about investing in a US company instead of trying to sound haughty by throwing away your money over seas.

Post probably needs to go to the off topic section. 

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Originally posted by stayontarget

Try reading the whole thread

Why? It is relevant to NCsoft in every way.

• ManarixManarix Member UncommonPosts: 98

I spent alot of time over there while in the military and one thing I do remember is neither north or south likes americans.

And you wonder why.....

But on topic, why wouldnt you invest in (and thereby support) a company that is serious about making MMO. Since, assumingly, thats what we are here for, enjoy our hobby of playing them.

Currently playing browser games. Waiting for Albion Online, Citadel of Sorcery and Camelot Unchained.
    Played: almost all MMO pre 2007

It's all about making money, not about your personal beliefs or how good or bad the situation is in your homeland or someone else's. 

Anyway it's not a good time to be buying there stock right now because its at an all time high.

www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/tech/2009/05/133_44342.html

www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/Stock%20News/2319016/

• KainisKainis Member Posts: 436

Try reading the whole thread

Ya know, I am going to have to call you out Czanrei. I do not believe you have spent any time, more than a vacation, in South Korea. Based on your earlier post, before you backpedaled, you could not have. In fact, still holding onto your arguement even after backpedaling, and basically calling the south, "...the same as the North", is the kind of thing one does when one has never been to South Korea. That would be like calling California the same as El Salvador... there is THAT much night and day between the two, and not something any military personel would do. Now that that argument has tarnished your post on NCSoft (since you tried to link the two; but yet you didn't know that much of early Aion was produced by NCSoft West, back when they were based in Austin, Texas, it is clear to me that you also know very little of NCSoft's portfolio. If there were ANY MMO publishers that would be a safe bet to hold stock in right now, it would definetly be in Activision/ Blizzard and NCSoft. As far as MMO development studios go, I would give the name of..well, nevermind... I'm not the company talking head :P

-----------------------
    Tried- L2, Ryzom, WAR, DDO, PWI, Tab Rasa, Requiem, Champs, AA, JD, PWI, SUN, Dawntide

Played- SWG (pre-cu), AoC, VG, WoW, LoTRO,CoX, EQ2, DAOC, GW, PotBS, Aion, MO,APB, NASA, Fallen Earth, DCUO, Rift

Playing- EVE, Black Prophecy, TOR

Waiting for- Tera, Jumpgate Evo, WH40K, WWE, WOD, TSW
    --
    --
    "Hey, if Activision liked it, then they should have put a ring on it," Double Fine President Tim Schafer said. "Oh great, now Beyonce is going to sue me too."

• PandraxPandrax Member UncommonPosts: 341

Why? It is relevant to NCsoft in every way.

I am completely disgusted by everything you said. I live on Fort sill. about 15 of my friends just got stationed in South Korea, and I trust their opinion over yours. Not only did you somehow "confuse" North Korea with South Korea( how does someone even confuse the two countries? You even say you were "stationed" there... right..) . The fact you can't tell the two apart pretty much shows you have no idea what you are talking about and have never been there.

The fact you went out of your way to try and find reasons to hate a country that is probably one of the best asian allies we have is pretty sad. If you want to hate a communist country try north korea, atleast then you wont be lying out of your teeth. Anyway... It really goes without saying that your wish for NCsoft to dissapear is not going to happen anytime soon. They have great games, and they are one of the few companies who keep in contact with their playerbase.

But I guess to you, everyone who is in asia is a communist, so who cares..

~ ~

Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths, Enwrought with golden and silver light, The blue and the dim and the dark cloths Of night and light and the half light, I would spread the cloths under your feet: But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

• qbangy32qbangy32 Member Posts: 681

Any thoughts?

I believe you are confusing South Korea with North Korea.

• CrosiusCrosius Member Posts: 129

http://www.mmogchart.com/Chart5.html  Clearly L2 is nothing to brag about, at best it rates mediocre right now.

Did anyone ever look at that graph? That graph violates any sort of line graph rules that there were. First of all the legend doesn't even fit on the page. Secondly, if when you're chosing your color scheme by sequential numerical colors because you have so many different items on your graph its a clue that you need more than one graph. Hmmmm, Tabula Rasa is going to be 255, 255, 255...aaaaaand AoC is going to be 255, 255, 254 and FFXI is going to be.....

Now to my point. I'm going to be a little skeptical of where ever the F that half ass graph came from. I would venture to guess that there are more coherent graphs (with better color schemes mind you) that come out on the skids of my toilet paper than that crap.

Furthermore, the MMO subscription base has been getting larger and larger by the year. Consequently, when you have games that came out in the early 2000's in the heat of the rising MMO fans, the numbers you see cannot be compared to the numbers you see now. If my mere human eye can detect the color differences in that graph I think I see L2 being the #1 game for about a year and hold a solid subscription base for another 3 after that. In my book that's pretty damn successful, you?

Try this one on for size www.mmogchart.com/Chart1.html...Better graph. Oh and look who's on top for a majority of the graph.

Dear VAbeachdave,

I'm really sorry to see this thread turn out to be an "I know more than you thread" but I'm going to to cut through all the bullshit and give you my honest professional opinion.

Looking at the chart you posted gave me a few ideas so I did a little detective work. Well it seems that the chart looked like hell, but the world economy was falling apart so I really can't blame it. The lowest point in the past 2 was October 27, 08 when the stock was trading at 27,000 KW, that was the best time to buy it...ever. Since then the stock is up to 187,000, thats a 594% increase, so I'd say yeah the stock did alright last 2 quarters. In USD that means the stock went from 27 bucks alllllll the way to 187! Now when you look at it in USD it makes it a bit scary to buy at these levels, but be not afraid there is a method to the madness.

I often traded heavy priced stocks, it made my clients and I feel more comfortable with the fact that we were buying "quality" and sometimes thats better than quantity. I traded stocks like GS, CME, APPL and GOOG, my method was always similar and rarely did I run into any mishaps.

For one, take all the money you plan to invest, and invest only 10-25% at a time. What your doing is "building a position", now looking at the chart and putting a moving average in the 50 day MA is at 130,000. So if the stock goes down past that, then sell it, it is in trouble. Buy on the dips mostly, and if the stock takes off as it should post the September release period then you have two choices: either decide you a long term holder or just "play" the stock and sell it and walk away. Don't get greedy. Bulls and bears come to market, pigs get slaughtered.

As for actually BUYING the stock, my best guess is finding the trusted online trading firm, sort of Charley Schwab in Korea. As far as a broker is concerned, no I don't even know of the better firms. Korea has always been known as a uncharted territory so I would do some thorough search, you don't want to get ripped on fees or lose money.

On November 25, 2008, NCSoft launched Aion in Korea, that was one month after the low and the stock hasn't looked back since. So obviously the concensus opinion is that Aion is going to be a long term earner for the company. And face it, what big publisher doesn't have a few smaller studios creating games for it. Take a look at Take'Two, Rockstar was just a small part of the overall company and now it's the companies biggest stream of revenue. So fanboi that.

Play safe,

~Ink

• GoldenDogGoldenDog Member Posts: 586

Don't buy videogame stock based upon the release of a single game.

All you're doing is gambling / betting and there are a lot better ways to invest.

LineageII | LoTRO | RFO | 9Dragons | Aion | Perfect World | Ether Saga | Dungeon Runners | GuildWars 1 and 2 | Hellgate London | tCoS | Warhammer | AoC | Tabula Rasa | SWTOR
    youtube.com/gcidogmeat
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

I 'd be a little leery of investing in any MMO company really....As often as all these companies have lied who can believe anything any of them say anymore?? It seems like every other game released now claims it has a "million accounts" when you know that none of them have anywhere near a million players.......It almost sounds like the OP just wants to 'get rich quick" off the flavor of the month MMO and probably knows little or nothing about what is going on other than they claim to have 3.5 million subs......

What do you think the stock market is? It's legalized gambling. No matter if you are investing in oil, technology or the next-gen widget you are always taking a chance. The way I look at it is investing in the management of the company and the ability to produce a product or a service that will sell and generate capital.

Yes, there are many ways to invest and they all carry a certain amount of risk. It's called risk vs reward.

I've been a stockbroker on wall for over 12 years, but I'm a gamer at heart.

• GoldenDogGoldenDog Member Posts: 586
    Originally posted by Inktomi

What do you think the stock market is? It's legalized gambling.

I've been a stockbroker on wall for over 12 years,

Then I'm glad I don't invest with you.  I've never heard of a stock broker that has called the market "legalized gambling" because it's not.  There are sure ways to gain capital in both a bear and a bull market.  Anyone that does it for a living should certainly know how. 

I don't feel I should have to spell out how channeling and dividends work.

LineageII | LoTRO | RFO | 9Dragons | Aion | Perfect World | Ether Saga | Dungeon Runners | GuildWars 1 and 2 | Hellgate London | tCoS | Warhammer | AoC | Tabula Rasa | SWTOR
    youtube.com/gcidogmeat