Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard's mysterious MMO

13»

Comments

• beeker255beeker255 Member UncommonPosts: 351

Steampunk

Currently a popular choice with several of the MMO dedicated, largely because the niche hasn't been properly filled as of yet, steampunk offers a wide swath of varying settings. Although I've got a personal preference.
    Warmachine is tabletop game that's a blend of both steampunk and dark fantasy. It's a world with large mechanized machines controlled by powerful mages, and yet it also has plenty of sci-fi influence too. One of the world's factions -- the Cygnar -- actually fuel a few of their most powerful Warmachines with slightly erratic electrical engines instead of furnaces. Mostly though, it's a very steampunk kind of setting where guys with swords, guns and magic constantly tear each other apart. I highly recommend it to anyone with a thing for the setting.
    Blizzard has never been shy with their inspirational sources, and in the case of steampunk and Warmachine, I really wouldn't mind seeing them change their tune. The unfortunate truth is that Warmachine has always been a fascinating world unable to break free from its tabletop origins, which may be intentional on its creator's part. Even so, a Blizzard take on something like the Iron Kingdoms would be an instant hit whether people realize they want it or not.

I only read the OP. This setting sounds cool. I started MMO's with EQ and have played all the "Big Ones" for extended periods and am starting to wonder if im just done with MMO's especially Fantasy. But this setting opens my eyes a bit and to think if that setting was done right and in a very  vast  environtment huge world to explore with maybe a EVE style server setup to allow 40k or more (more is better!) done by any company not just blizzard but they would have the $$$ for it! but could they pump out content fast enough for this type of game? So if any company could pull  this off and done right not half baked...I will Open my wallet to the :)

• KurushKurush Member Posts: 1,303

Zombie Ducks Online

You heard it here first.

Well, he wasn't stating that the game is declining.  He was merely suggesting that many old stalwarts might be growing tired of the game and looking for something new.

Just speaking anecdotally, I've played WoW as much as anybody else, as have most of the people I know in-game.  Me and a friend of mine on my server have pretty much been there and done that in our respective areas of interest.  He has been in a highly-progressed raiding guild in vanilla, BC, and now Wrath.  I've always mashed around with the PvP side of things.

He left to try AoC.  He also left to try Warhammer.  He came back both times, but he didn't come back because WoW was just so awesome that he couldn't stay away.  It was that the other games had serious issues.  I left to try a few different titles myself.  I can't take any more of WoW's PvP content.  I've been a decently-rated arena player, and I honestly can't tolerate more glorified elimination matches passed off as some amazing leap forward in PvP design.  I've been there and done that.  I remember playing hundreds of Q3 mod deathmatch rounds.  That was ten years ago.

I'm not really the only one.  My server recently lost all just about all of the highest-rated Horde players, which was basically the entire group I played with.  Most quit, some transferred.  Now the high-rated players on Alliance side are leaving too.  You may not realize it, but arena is withering.  Go and ask on any of the major arena boards.  Post-BC, each successive arena season has seen dramatic dropoffs in player involvement.  Blizzard thinks it's because they've cut out most of the "welfare" epics.  That idea doesn't really hold up when you realize the highest ratings have seen as much winnowing as the lowest.

From where I stand, WoW is still an excellent game for a new player to get into, but it's not really very good at reinventing itself, and it has made some losing bets in terms of design choices.  What I'm getting at is that he may have a point.  I'm still sub'd to WoW, but I barely play it.  I think there are a lot of players who just do their weekly raids and/or arena matches, maybe a few dailies too, but don't really care beyond that.  They're waiting for the next big thing.  AoC and WAR blew their shots, but a lot of other bigs are entering the arena.  Who knows where things will go.

Eh. The well isn't dry yet. We've got two contenders stepping into the ring. Aion has had a very positive response in Korea so far. Will that translate to the game's success in the US? Or will it fizzle in the NA market much like Lineage 2 did? I think it has the potential to be a commercial success here, but we'll see.

I think most Western eyes are on Bioware at the moment, though. Bioware Austin has been chugging along on this game for a long time. They've certainly had no shortage of time, though you can perhaps never have enough in this industry, and they've been hunting very qualified talent aggressively. From what I've seen and heard, they've particularly pulled in a ton of world-building talent. If there was ever to be a MMORPG which grabbed you by the lapelles and thrust you into the world with the powers of its immersion, I think this one will be it. Of course, it might fail miserably on every other important count and flop as a result, but I'm pretty sure they have at least some things going for them.

As for the other big players, they seem to be moving in a different direction. I think most people in this site have already forgotten about freerealms, but I'm very interested to see its performance numbers come a few months. I think they will be _very_ surprising. Meanwhile, the biggest players in China and Korea are releasing _very_ similar titles. Sharp graphics with low requirements, far less grind than other F2P games to date, far more varied activities, features that have proved to be cash-drivers for RMT. After what was more or less the failure of Dungeon Runners and Exteel (though they still pulled a net profit on the two after spending essentially zero on development), NCSoft is trying again with what I think will be a winner this time around. The Chinese creators of Perfect World have themselves released a second title which I'm thinking will far outstrip penetration of any Asian F2P game to date, and that's including the massive number of NA Maplestory players.

• AntharaAnthara Member Posts: 75
    Originally posted by Jackio81

Originally posted by SaintViktor

Assuming that Games Workshop isn't the inspiring factor for yet another Blizzard game,

LOL...This made me spit out my drink and start laughing, now watch all the dumb Blizzard fanbois get made and start demanding in what way is Warcraft/Starcraft similar to Warhammer and WAR40K...../facepalm

Anyways, back on topic.

Blizzard makes awesome games, and I'd hope they give fantasy/sci-fi a try, a game like Rifts would be awesome...=D

LOL... you made me spit out my drink aswell.... since you and 1 bilion more think this crap fantasy games come all from Warhammer crap!! LOLOLOL I can only spam my trollish skills to some person like yourself... who got no fkg clue that ALL this games basically copy this fantasy from the lord of rings world. Enjoy your super lore masters warhammers xD

idiots

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550
    Originally posted by Zorndorf

Originally posted by Anthara

Assuming that Games Workshop isn't the inspiring factor for yet another Blizzard game,

LOL...This made me spit out my drink and start laughing, now watch all the dumb Blizzard fanbois get made and start demanding in what way is Warcraft/Starcraft similar to Warhammer and WAR40K...../facepalm

Anyways, back on topic.

Blizzard makes awesome games, and I'd hope they give fantasy/sci-fi a try, a game like Rifts would be awesome...=D

LOL... you made me spit out my drink aswell.... since you and 1 bilion more think this crap fantasy games come all from Warhammer crap!! LOLOLOL I can only spam my trollish skills to some person like yourself... who got no fkg clue that ALL this games basically copy this fantasy from the lord of rings world. Enjoy your super lore masters warhammers xD

idiots

I played Fantasy board wargames back in 1976. Like Swords and Sorcery, with mages, Trolls, Elves etc... That was a decade before GW even existed.

A nice one was Death Maze, a good mini dungeons crawler solo/group game from SPI.

Anyone remember these times ???

That doen't mean I LOVED the WH TT game.: best fantasy miniatures game ever published (and polished). A pity they have no respect for their own games when it comes to selling licence agreements (Mark of Chaos, War, etc...). And their Lore history settings change to whatever new miniatures they want to sell (killing every Army book every 4 years and every consistent Lore with it).

Yes, I remember Swords and Sorcery; a very complex detailed set of Medieval fantasy rules in contrast to early D& D (pre-Greyhawk expansion even).  I remember those days.  And Chainmail miniature rules that it all grew out from.

This is why I think there are dedicated fantasy players who will always look out for the next new game.  We also have to remember that Blizzard started their new MMO a few years ago and that the trend in MMO-making is to get one out the door and work secretly on the sequel.

We will see if in a few months Blizzard finally lets us in on their secret.

• wahala99wahala99 Member UncommonPosts: 147

I have the real scoop from an inside source.

Characters will be from all races of the "magic" realm.  You will start in a school (like hogwarts) and take classes and go on quests.  You will learn magic then use it out in the world on npc's and other players.  There will be lands with giants, dragons, werewolves, ghosts and many more.   The character name "Harry Potter" will not be allowed ...

If Ya Ain't Dyin, Ya Ain't Tryin

• callmelukecallmeluke Member Posts: 16

its gonna have a lvl 1000 cap and perm-death.

runescape sucks

• callmelukecallmeluke Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by wahala99

I have the real scoop from an inside source.
    Characters will be from all races of the "magic" realm.  You will start in a school (like hogwarts) and take classes and go on quests.  You will learn magic then use it out in the world on npc's and other players.  There will be lands with giants, dragons, werewolves, ghosts and many more.   The character name "Harry Potter" will not be allowed ...

that sounds like game called...wizard...hmm...i forgot....

runescape sucks

• blackwolf82blackwolf82 Member Posts: 79
    Originally posted by maniacfox

I think you missed out one of the biggest genres that is missing at the moment, HORROR. I don't mean weird alien-esque crap like Hellgate London was, I mean the real thing Vampires, Zombies, Werewolves, proper horror!!

These things don't fall into the "horror genre" just because they are potentially scary.

Honestly I classify anything involving 1-10 people trapped in an isolated area and systematically killed off in horrible ways as horror. Anything involving a real story line is "suspense", and thus (personally) tolerable. I hate being skeered :(

However, if Blizzard came out with a Underworld/Whitewolf stylized (assuming they can get away with it without getting pointlessly sued) MMO, I would be on that like white on rice. Especially if they avoided the over used old-time fantasy settings and worked with a modern world setting.

• LuckyRLuckyR Member UncommonPosts: 260

If it is so secret, why are people that play WOW getting invites to test Starcraft MMO?

• hookshooks Member Posts: 39
    Originally posted by LuckyR

If it is so secret, why are people that play WOW getting invites to test Starcraft MMO?

no such thing as Starcraft MMORPG

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Smikis

this wow casual is joke . first off , china 6 mln, eu 3mln usa 3 mln, more or less,
    second those commercials who gets casuals in the genre are almost exclusive to usa, there are few german and french.. isnt there? , so its only usa market, with all yours casuals , which even then doubt makes 50% wow usa pop.. which returns to meager 1.5mln

second off.. whole wow casualisation didnt start till late tbc, by that time wow already have over 10 mln subs..
    this whole casuals argument is silly, atleast till tbc wow was far from casual, in time needed, and stuff.. and thats when wow grew this much, to become giant,

its just pure silly nonsence wow hates invented.. HEY YOU KNOW WHAT, whou would say soe games as eq or vanguard is casuals.. well i can. you open soe launcher.. it autstart games.. it even auto logins.. auto selects hero.. and auto enters game..

1 click and few seconds.. and look im already in game..
    now thats much faster and easer than actions i need to get into wow.. i start the game.. i login.. i slect hero.. i enter the game.. atleast 3 actions..
    so eq2 is casual ? no its not. it would be casual if it had 10 mln instead of 250k or what it have..
    get a grip

They have commercials here in Sweden too, and probably in most countries. Wow do have one of the youngest playerbases (A friend and Wow player is a teacher for age 12-13, both she and most her kids play Wow).

Wow have probably more casual players than any other game, and younger but that doesn't really make the whole playerbase morons, lets not go into a stupid flame war for that.

And how long time it takes to logg in is hardly affecting how casual a game is anyways. All casual players I know play either Wow or WAR, because you can play those games for a shorter time and still have fun. EQ2s dungeons are larger and harder, meaning it takes more time at a given moment.

That is not the key to Wows huge number of players, EQ2 both demands a better computer and are not as good coded as Wow. I personally prefer EQ2 anyways because it's challenge level fits me better but that doesn't really makes one better or worse to play. Neither do the sub numbers, that would be like saying that the Jonas brothers are better than Tori Amos since they earn more cash on their music.

• maniacfoxmaniacfox Member UncommonPosts: 171
    Originally posted by daylight01

I think you missed out one of the biggest genres that is missing at the moment, HORROR. I don't mean weird alien-esque crap like Hellgate London was, I mean the real thing Vampires, Zombies, Werewolves, proper horror!!

Funcom are working on TSW which seems to be what you are asking for ..

"The game will feature an original setting created by Funcom, with contemporary elements as well as "magic, myths, conspiracies and dark horrors".[10] Contrary to rumors, spawned by this game's second working title, it has neither anything to do with, nor is inspired by the .hack franchise and its setting.[11] Tørnquist debunked several rumors surrounding The Secret World, stating that "there are no aliens or sci-fi elements" in it.[9] He also denied any connection of TSW to The Longest Journey.[9]

At GDC 2009, Tørnquist revealed more about the setting and the story.[2] He stressed that the game is set in the "modern day real world" but also incorporates pieces of ancient mythologies, real and false history, urban legends, and pop culture, and ties them into an original back-story. The latter is said to go back in time for 100 million years and encompass long extinct ancient civilizations. The players will assume the roles of supernatural heroes who participate in a "future war between good and evil", fighting dark monsters that threaten the modern world. Tørnquist identified the genre of the story as dark fantasy, mentioning vampiresdemons, and zombies. The players will be free to travel across different locations of the world (e.g. London and New York) and even in time, to pursue the overall plot and investigate new mysteries in connection to the dark invasion. The overall plot will have a conclusion but the designers also leave room for future expansions."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_World

I just picked up on this game, it looks like it has the potential to be quite good, but I'm a bit confused about the alien thing. Tørnquist says there are no aliens or sci-fi elements in it? Have you seen the trailer? It's an alien, sure call it a demon or something if you like but it looks just like an alien, it even looks like it has been modelled on the aliens from the film Alien. How much more alien can you get?

• Jackio81Jackio81 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by Anthara

Anyways, back on topic.

idiots

I see WoW fanbois that came up with this stupid excuse to justify the thousand similarities between Warcraft and Warhammer have done a good job brainwashing morons like you into thinking there's nothing wrong with copying ideas...like to see you try and pull that off in the real world for yourself...and when you get caught for infringement you can just bring up this retarded example "hey, everyone copies from everyone!" and see how far that gets you...

Just a quick heads up Blizzard has tons of lawyers to keep them out of cases like these...how many can you afford Mr. Beautiful Mind?.../facepalm

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I just picked up on this game, it looks like it has the potential to be quite good, but I'm a bit confused about the alien thing. Tørnquist says there are no aliens or sci-fi elements in it? Have you seen the trailer? It's an alien, sure call it a demon or something if you like but it looks just like an alien, it even looks like it has been modelled on the aliens from the film Alien. How much more alien can you get?

On Tuesday, Blizzard rep "Zarhym" posted on the World of Warcraft forums that the new MMOG was already underway and that "it'll be a brand-new franchise, which means the lore, art, and gameplay are being developed entirely from scratch." He added, "We have nothing to advertise for the new MMO because it's a shell of a game thus far."

Blizzard Entertainment declined to comment on any further details.

The revelation comes after previous admissions by Blizzard that a new MMOG was in the works, though this is the first time that Blizzard admitted the game was a new franchise. In January 2007, Blizzard revealed that it was already planning for a fresh MMOG that Blizzard's vice president of entertainment, Itzik Ben Bassat, described as "something innovative and new that really brings entertainment to another level."

By October 2008, there were already clues that the MMOG would be an original property. In an interview with Wired, Blizzard CEO Michael Morhaime said that the game would "not be a sequel to World of Warcraft. It will be different," adding that the game would be so different that it wouldn't compete with World of Warcraft.

Quote from here

Well, fantasy seems out of the question so some kind of sci-fi game is not an impossibility. It seems however that Blizzard is creating the world themselves so it wont be based on the Aliens movies. Figures, it would be stupid to compete with themselves.

• Jackio81Jackio81 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418

There is supposedly word that it'll be something between a fantasy and sci-fi game...this coming from the lips of a blizzard employee somewhere in an interview which I can't recall on what site I saw it....so there you go.

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550

There is supposedly word that it'll be something between a fantasy and sci-fi game...this coming from the lips of a blizzard employee somewhere in an interview which I can't recall on what site I saw it....so there you go.

I would be you're right, and this would be a great game for the 12 to 14 crowd they are probably targeting; maybe that is where the money is at.

Still I will not play this game if that is where it lands.  I appreciated Sci-Fi and Fantasy, but do not like them blended together.  WOW already has motorcycles in Westfall, and that is a bit much for me.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Originally posted by pencilrick

My guess is they will probably give us some mesh (mess?) of sci-fi and fantasy together.  However, I hope (a fool's hope, maybe) they will give us a new fantasy world with traditional fantasy races, classes, and elements.  Barbarians, Elves, Dwarves, and Gnomes will always work okay for me.
    Sometimes, folks wanting a new MMO just want a new map and for everyone to start all over again at level 1.
    Now some people will point to the scores of fantasy MMO's and say that fantasy has been done to death, but I will counter that "good" fantasy MMO's have only been handed to us 3 or 4 times in the last decade.

Agree 100%.  I love the fantasy genre and a new IP does not mean its not a fantasy world.  Give me a new world to explore, with decently complex combat system, smooth interface, and bards.

• FunseikiFunseiki Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by pp03

Anyways, back on topic.

Why would they get mad, they can take a concepts that exist and are meh and turn them into block buster, best in class titles, which break new records only to be broke again by Blizzard themselves.

Not many companies can do that ;)

I'm assuming this MMO will be away from RPG.  I wouldn't be surprised if we run into a massive strategy game.  I'm sure they could find a way to make it perfect.

Don't most successful companies do that.. :p

• AntharaAnthara Member Posts: 75

Really people... this is getting old.

Theres a genre called MMORPG but seems that all the wow haters expect Blizzard MMO's to be diferent from all others. I also dont see any FPS that aint equal to the 1.000.000 previous FPS games. Whatever...

It REALLY makes "you" look retarded when "you" say Blizzard copyed from Warhammer. NO, it doesnt make you look cool, neither inteligent, neither wise and you really dont have...even, a very tiny bit of comon sense.

Warhammer didnt invented ANYTHING. neither rabbits, neither goblins, neither Orcs or humans, or swords, or magic... nothing..zero, nada.

Can you go to a mirror, talk to yourself and start thinking....just a very tiny bit... and explain to us all where did those fantasys came from.

This argument is getting old, makes "you" look ignorant.

Also, I see some people here talking about Blizzard using cheap technology. Dam.. that just makes them look brilliant! The guys use cheap tech and can be able to make one of the most smooth gameplay i experienced. You can even "ride" monsters, fire rockets, fly crasy gnome tech airplanes and other bilion stuff. And all this so cool companys that are using High tech cant do a shitty game run without massive crashes, massive lags and ZERO inovation in combat systems, pets or whatever. Blizzard could even use a spectrum 48k to make their own games.. if they are doing it better, it just makes them look brilliant.

Im tired of this anti-fanboys..... yeh about fanboys, anyone who dares to say a compliment to Blizzard games quality gets slaped in his skull with 1 meter long nails.. the word Fanboy.

About the new MMO... Blizzard already gave cool tips about it. Just check the Murloc Marine or the Tauren Marine. Yep, can be cause of the Starcraft II launch but still.. is a smart way to "play" about this so called secret. I might be wrong, but my guess is to a World of Starcraft MMO ;)

cheers

• cyan85cyan85 Member UncommonPosts: 59

Rob Pardo, one of the main guys at Blizzard, said they had learned many lessons from WoW, and he mentioned two specifically: They don't like the small, isolated servers in WoW and would prefer much bigger, regional servers where the top players in the world could compete.  Secondly, they really like the visceral, hard-hitting feel to the combat in God of War and other games which was lacking in WoW.

Even though the topic of the interview was Diablo 3, I'm pretty sure this is going to apply to the new MMO as well, otherwise, I doubt he would have brought up WoW.

Make of that what you will.