Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looks alot like WOW

TwiztedTDTwiztedTD Member Posts: 79

I am sure it will change, because it is in beta, but it looks A LOT LIKE WOW!

FLAME ON!

Comments

• GoodAfternoonGoodAfternoon Member UncommonPosts: 252

Not really

Rift

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    Originally posted by ncryan10

Not really

Ditto.

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • DargokDargok Member Posts: 14

You people that are claiming that it doesnt look like WoW have obviously never played. The screenshot with the aligator looks almost identical to Dustwallow Marsh or Swamp of Sorrows.

All your MMOs are belong to me.

• soap46soap46 Member Posts: 169

Yeah, this just seems lazy.

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    Originally posted by Dargok

You people that are claiming that it doesnt look like WoW have obviously never played. The screenshot with the aligator looks almost identical to Dustwallow Marsh or Swamp of Sorrows.

I can see your point there but, in Alganon's defense, one could say that about the swamps in almost every MMO. Swamps look like swamps. If you look at the Alganon screenshots section and compare it to the screenshots for RealmCrafter, I 'd say there's a lot more similarities there than with WoW.

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • talismen351talismen351 Member Posts: 1,124

Maybe it looks like WoW...maybe it doesn't.

Really don't matter what game comes out, or what it looks like...it will always be called a WoW clone.  Even the new Star wars many say it looks like WoW. The games are made with this style cause it usually easier on most PCs. AoC went all out on the graphics....but it didn't make the game any better.

WoW graphics...don't mean WoW gameplay. I can live with the graphics...if the gameplay is more fun.

• bmdevinebmdevine Member Posts: 429

Tastes like chicken?  Seriously, I see some distinct stylistic similarities.  Anyone who looks at the screenshots on the official website and says the buildings and character models don't remind them of WoW (alliance side, of course) is probably either lying, on crack, or knows nothing about WoW.  Not that I personally like Wow - can't bring myself to play it anymore.  I hope this game will have something new to bring to the table.

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Actually if you ever played Horizons, this looks a lot like it.

Alganon is being made by a guy named David Allen, the guy who originally tried to make Horizons. His scope of gameplay was huge and the dev team he had couldn't pull it off resulting int he mess of a game in it's day, him leaving before launch and leaving it in the hands of the clown Dave Bowman.

Maybe he will do better this time around but honestly, I don't see another generic fantasy grinder being very well received.

• ColdrenColdren Member UncommonPosts: 495

If it has good PvP like DAoC with Keep/Town capturing, or at the very least a good Crafting/Harvesting system like UO, I don't care if it looks like Excite Bike on the NES.

I'm all about the gameplay. The fact that it in any way resmbles WoW is completely irrelevant, at least to me.

• noxxnoxx Member UncommonPosts: 120

mmmm yea it does mmmmm

• SlaynnSlaynn Member UncommonPosts: 109

Look at the class skill descriptions.  I was reading the site and checking it out but I stopped immediately after reading the stuff about the soldier class having stances and a rage mechanic.

Cut and paste from the Soldier class info page:

Anger

Unique to Soldiers, Anger represents a "build up" for the Soldier, allowing them to execute special actions. By default a Soldier's anger is empty, but it rises as the soldier engages in combat.

The longer a Soldier is in battle, the more anger they will generate. This allows Soldiers to fill their anger up on a "weaker" foe before they move to a stronger foe, and a Soldier will full anger can quickly unleash a large amount of damage.

Stances

Tactical Stance

A balanced stance with no modifiers, perfect for initial combat.

Weaponry Stance

An aggressive stance in which the soldier is capable of quickly unleashing large amounts of damage.

Defensive Stance

A stance designed to defend and protect the soldier and his/her a

Not very promising IMO....

It's gotten to the point where some MMOs have been reduced to little more than success dispensers. Don't think. Don't challenge yourself. Do as little as possible... but still be rewarded for it. Yeah.. *that's* fun.

-- WSIMike

• dma1dma1dma1dma1 Member Posts: 82

nah it don't look like WoW. it don't look like a cartoon like WoW

• nevrosisnevrosis Member Posts: 17

WoW looking or not, lets wait for the gameplay.

Gameplay > Gx

• modeditmodedit Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by Slaynn

Look at the class skill descriptions.  I was reading the site and checking it out but I stopped immediately after reading the stuff about the soldier class having stances and a rage mechanic.
    Cut and paste from the Soldier class info page:

Anger

Unique to Soldiers, Anger represents a "build up" for the Soldier, allowing them to execute special actions. By default a Soldier's anger is empty, but it rises as the soldier engages in combat.

The longer a Soldier is in battle, the more anger they will generate. This allows Soldiers to fill their anger up on a "weaker" foe before they move to a stronger foe, and a Soldier will full anger can quickly unleash a large amount of damage.

Stances

Tactical Stance

A balanced stance with no modifiers, perfect for initial combat.

Weaponry Stance

An aggressive stance in which the soldier is capable of quickly unleashing large amounts of damage.

Defensive Stance

A stance designed to defend and protect the soldier and his/her a

Not very promising IMO....

Not to mention the UI is a total rip from WoWs.

• LiquidvisonLiquidvison Member Posts: 112
    Originally posted by TwiztedTD

FLAME ON!

who cares what it looks like, wow looked like eq when it first came out

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258
    Originally posted by nevrosis

WoW looking or not, lets wait for the gameplay.
    Gameplay > Gx

Yeah game play is important but to me so is graphics.   To me  Graphics = Gameplay, but I am willing to give up some eyecandy for better gameplay but I can't stand to play games with shitty graphics and amazing gameplay as well with games with amazing graphics but shitty gameplay.

But those screens do kinda remind me of WoW.

• haggus71haggus71 Member Posts: 254

Ummm, he's right.  Unless you have cataracts, you can see they have similar artistic design.  Heck, even the characters have that look.  Maybe you should check the plethora of comments on photos/footage of the game stating this fact, before you lambaste someone for posting their opinion...one shared by many in the community. 

And to whoever said gameplay over graphics...yeah, that worked great for Darkfall...oh, wait...

• abyss610abyss610 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,131

honestly yes it does look alot like wow but the graphics isn't what i'm after and could care less really if it does. at first i wasn't following teh game because of the graphics but then read up on the features of the game... sounds great and can't wait too see them in action.... gods in game controlled by gm type company people roaming the lands interacting/roleplaying with players.. just sounds bad ass. and the gods start crusades against other gods and their followers (players) , and your class has different abilities from some one that plays the same class but follows a different god. will be cool to be in game pvping along side your god controlled by a gm..lol

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630
    Originally posted by TwiztedTD

FLAME ON!

WoW has nothing original, for comparrison it is better to compare to the games that were the front runners. I never use WoW as a baseline as it just takes from others ideas not original but successful.

Shame we have a Troll thread already this site never changes. Alganon looks good....

• SaetiaBelleSaetiaBelle Member UncommonPosts: 53
    edited November 2023

xx

Post edited by SaetiaBelle on
    Hey, Belle here. Full time mom of 3. Married to Dwayne. Moved to the US some years ago. Love it! 
    "Forget the unwritten, uncollected works of the poet
    You never were." - a song lyric from Saetia, my fave band in the world. 
  • LenceLence Member CommonPosts: 109

I don't know why there is so much fuzz about that it looks graphically similar to WoW.It's well known that they had WoW in mind when they developed it. Millions of people play it and they want to build on the success of WoW. Just look at Runes Of Magic, ;) plus the Dev's stated that the UI and other area's are not the final design, so that might change. Alganon got enough original features to be more then just a clone.

• SwankdSwankd Member UncommonPosts: 243

as you can see in any other forum, there is always a person comparing a new game to WoW... And this forum is another one of those examples... its sad to say that all new MMO's will be compared to WoW.... people need to let a game be itself and judge it for what it has and not what it doesnt have compared to an overrated game

• galad2003galad2003 Member Posts: 167

The Op is not saying the game is like WOW, we all know most of all games are going to be WoW clones. The OP is not saying the game's art style looks exactly like WoW. It's so similair I don't know how they don't get sued. The human male avatar looks the same as the human male in WoW, the zones look the same, heck some of the names of things in the game are very similair.

People who don't see this must be huge fanbois', need their eyes checked or need to take a basic class in art or something.

Yes a lot of games look similair - WAR looked like WoW in that theyr were both cartoony but WAR still had its own unique style of artwork that seperated itself from WoW. Alganon's art style is so similair to WoW's its sad and it makes it hard to take this game seriously.

I hope Alganon does well as the more good games on the market the better I just urge them to find their own unique style.