Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reasons why to never buy Everquest

qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170

First off the game has been destroyed with expansions. The game is mixmatched garbage now. Main class abilities have been trivialized by changes made in sake of trying to copy WoW. The game's graphics are different throughout the zones, they never made things match at all. The lore has become ridiculous and everything is basically broken. It is not the game it use to be and not good in it's present form. Very bad game, waste of your money. 

Second, Everquest, Everquest 2 and Vanguard are about the only subscription based games with virtual items for real life cash tacted on. That is right you pay the same prices subscription 15/month as other newer MMOs and still they have a cash shop .. very dirty. 

Third, the forum mods are trash, pathetic, garbage that delete anything negative said about the current game and anything that mentions their scam virtual items for cash addition to the game. These are the worst mods around, there will delete post they do not agree with even though it's not against the rules. Those are not forums, not where forum mods pick and choose what hidesthe negative aspects of their game. People need to be aware this company is theives trying to hide the negative things about the game. Also they will delete any post of anyone that make known their wishes of a trilogy server. They want to ignore the largest post in the history of their forums by locking it and sweeping it under the rug. 

Buyer beware. 

Comments

• krenalorkrenalor Member Posts: 214

Welcome to "OUR" world! SOE has been like this from the beginning, just out to rob the players and represent raiders. Thats why I quit for WoW and even for free I didn't come back.

• AirdefierAirdefier Member UncommonPosts: 33

this isnt a fair post : /

if anything protest SOE , not everquest.

Everquest just got a new producer, so lets see whats to come.

- Air

• PakhetPakhet Member Posts: 5

I started EQ in 2001. I have left the game and come back twice.

The original poster has posted a load of hate about the game and it seems he has some unresolved issues. Had he posted the actual information and not just the headlines, you would see what I mean.

1st off, Everquest came out 10 years ago. In ten years, they have released 12 expansions. Roughly one per year and several of them were mini-expansions. City of Heroes on the contrary is up to about that same amount of expansions in 5 years. Along the way, old content becomes just that....old. Therefore, developing and introducing new content through expansions increases the depth and viability of the game. I will admit that there is a lot of mismatch in the game...mostly graphical. But if you look at the fact that the game was based on a graphics engine and zone graphics from 10 years ago, it makes sense that some of the newer graphics don't exactly match the older graphics. Along the way, the designers at EQ have updated some of the zones and they are working on the rest of them (ie the old world zones). But with over 260 zones in the game and thousands of monsters, it takes time...but they ARE working on it...the all new Freeport, Nek Forest, Commonlands, and a few other old world zones have already been updated with new graphics and new monster models. Give them time to repaint 10 years of content.

2ndly, SoE has decided to use their Station Cash store that was developed for Free Realms  to add a little flavor and spice to Everquest and its sister games. Saying that they are the only game to do something like this is not actually true. Plenty of games out there offer in game purchase, rewards for attending sponsored events and the like. City of Heroes ( I keep mentioning this game because it is one of the other games I play) offers costume packs. The Wedding Pack, the Cyborg Pack, the Magic Pack, etc. All these packs do is allow you to choose additional costume items for your characters. They do not add to your powers, or give you game changing abilities....all they do is add a little spice to your look. So does the Station Cash Marketplace. The items available in the marketplace are not game changing items. They are graphical enhancements. If you don't like the look of your sword, you can go to the marketplace and get an ornementation that lets you change the look of said weapon. Want to sparkle? Go to the store and get a sparkle or such aura. Want to be followed around by a baby puma? Pick one up in the store. Do these items add stats? No. Do these items make you more powerful? No. Do they let you look a little different or add some flavor to your character? Yes....what a wonderful world we live in.

Lastly, in response to the claims that the EQ forums are fascist squashers of the 1st amendment, this is entirely untrue and is usually put forth by people who either do not KNOW the rules of the forums or who choose to disregard them. This usually comes from being ignorant, uninformed, or someone who likes to cause trouble and is upset at getting caught again and again. Most of the rules that are broken there are easily remedied by the moderators and usually don't require a post to be deleted. Most of them are moved to a new forum or merged with an existing topic. It is usually these actions that cause the poster to get confused and think his posted has been squashed. It's pretty simple though.

Don't use profanity or words that cheat the profanity filter. Don't make personal attacks against other users. No Flames. These violations will normally make the post go bye bye.

Don't cross post to multiple forums with the same post. Don't post secondary posts to draw attention to a previous post. Normally this will have the extra posts deleted and or merged with the most relevant one. If necessary, the posts will be moved to the appropriate forum.

Don't make posts about things that don't pertain to the forum. If you have questions about Paladins, post it in the Paladin forum, not in the quest section. If it is a post about a Paladin Quest...Ding Ding Ding....you may post it in EITHER... Violations of this rule will normally get the post moved to the appropriate section of the message board.

And the last one that is problematic is.....Just because you are too lazy to read through a few pages of posts, don't start an entire new thread about a subject that is right in front of your face. This is where it gets nasty. One poster posts about the problems with xyz...three or four pages of replies happen when a new person decides he doesn't want to look in the forum for any other posts about xyz or just doesn't want to read the thread and starts a new one. The moderators see this, take his new thread and merge it with the old thread. Then he comes back and starts a new thread about where his OLD thread went and how he is being oppressed by the Nazis running the board. At which point it turns into a bit of a flame at which point the moderators post that his thread was merged and then they lock the thread. At which point, he posts ANOTHER thread screaming about his post being deleted and his last thread being locked.....etc....it just snowballs into a rediculous thing.

The moral of the story is, read the forum rules....and follow them. If you do, you can get away with saying that Sony sucks, Verant screwed the pooch years agon, SoE has no idea what is happening in the real world and is out of touch with it users and Everquest is the worst game ever produced.

I happen to love Everquest, but I do agree that SoE doesn't really have the pulse of the nation under its fingertips.

Should you buy EQ? No. Should you try out EQ with the Escape To Norrath demo? YES. If you like the Demo, should you buy EQ? Most definately. Should you allow some random poster in a message board make the decision for you? Only after he tells you what to wear everyday and what you should eat for each meal.

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170
    Originally posted by Pakhet

I started EQ in 2001. I have left the game and come back twice.
    The original poster has posted a load of hate about the game and it seems he has some unresolved issues. Had he posted the actual information and not just the headlines, you would see what I mean.
    1st off, Everquest came out 10 years ago. In ten years, they have released 12 expansions. Roughly one per year and several of them were mini-expansions. City of Heroes on the contrary is up to about that same amount of expansions in 5 years. Along the way, old content becomes just that....old. Therefore, developing and introducing new content through expansions increases the depth and viability of the game. I will admit that there is a lot of mismatch in the game...mostly graphical. But if you look at the fact that the game was based on a graphics engine and zone graphics from 10 years ago, it makes sense that some of the newer graphics don't exactly match the older graphics. Along the way, the designers at EQ have updated some of the zones and they are working on the rest of them (ie the old world zones). But with over 260 zones in the game and thousands of monsters, it takes time...but they ARE working on it...the all new Freeport, Nek Forest, Commonlands, and a few other old world zones have already been updated with new graphics and new monster models. Give them time to repaint 10 years of content.
    2ndly, SoE has decided to use their Station Cash store that was developed for Free Realms  to add a little flavor and spice to Everquest and its sister games. Saying that they are the only game to do something like this is not actually true. Plenty of games out there offer in game purchase, rewards for attending sponsored events and the like. City of Heroes ( I keep mentioning this game because it is one of the other games I play) offers costume packs. The Wedding Pack, the Cyborg Pack, the Magic Pack, etc. All these packs do is allow you to choose additional costume items for your characters. They do not add to your powers, or give you game changing abilities....all they do is add a little spice to your look. So does the Station Cash Marketplace. The items available in the marketplace are not game changing items. They are graphical enhancements. If you don't like the look of your sword, you can go to the marketplace and get an ornementation that lets you change the look of said weapon. Want to sparkle? Go to the store and get a sparkle or such aura. Want to be followed around by a baby puma? Pick one up in the store. Do these items add stats? No. Do these items make you more powerful? No. Do they let you look a little different or add some flavor to your character? Yes....what a wonderful world we live in.
    Lastly, in response to the claims that the EQ forums are fascist squashers of the 1st amendment, this is entirely untrue and is usually put forth by people who either do not KNOW the rules of the forums or who choose to disregard them. This usually comes from being ignorant, uninformed, or someone who likes to cause trouble and is upset at getting caught again and again. Most of the rules that are broken there are easily remedied by the moderators and usually don't require a post to be deleted. Most of them are moved to a new forum or merged with an existing topic. It is usually these actions that cause the poster to get confused and think his posted has been squashed. It's pretty simple though.
    Don't use profanity or words that cheat the profanity filter. Don't make personal attacks against other users. No Flames. These violations will normally make the post go bye bye.
    Don't cross post to multiple forums with the same post. Don't post secondary posts to draw attention to a previous post. Normally this will have the extra posts deleted and or merged with the most relevant one. If necessary, the posts will be moved to the appropriate forum.
    Don't make posts about things that don't pertain to the forum. If you have questions about Paladins, post it in the Paladin forum, not in the quest section. If it is a post about a Paladin Quest...Ding Ding Ding....you may post it in EITHER... Violations of this rule will normally get the post moved to the appropriate section of the message board.
    And the last one that is problematic is.....Just because you are too lazy to read through a few pages of posts, don't start an entire new thread about a subject that is right in front of your face. This is where it gets nasty. One poster posts about the problems with xyz...three or four pages of replies happen when a new person decides he doesn't want to look in the forum for any other posts about xyz or just doesn't want to read the thread and starts a new one. The moderators see this, take his new thread and merge it with the old thread. Then he comes back and starts a new thread about where his OLD thread went and how he is being oppressed by the Nazis running the board. At which point it turns into a bit of a flame at which point the moderators post that his thread was merged and then they lock the thread. At which point, he posts ANOTHER thread screaming about his post being deleted and his last thread being locked.....etc....it just snowballs into a rediculous thing.
    The moral of the story is, read the forum rules....and follow them. If you do, you can get away with saying that Sony sucks, Verant screwed the pooch years agon, SoE has no idea what is happening in the real world and is out of touch with it users and Everquest is the worst game ever produced.
    I happen to love Everquest, but I do agree that SoE doesn't really have the pulse of the nation under its fingertips.
    Should you buy EQ? No. Should you try out EQ with the Escape To Norrath demo? YES. If you like the Demo, should you buy EQ? Most definately. Should you allow some random poster in a message board make the decision for you? Only after he tells you what to wear everyday and what you should eat for each meal.

This is not directed towards the post I quoted above , but people please take in consideration the date of when a person joins the forums and post count when reading their replies. There is a practice of companys such as Sony to make new accounts on boards just to defend their product from any negativity that is may receive. It is for you to decide if post are legit or not, just making you aware to view account creation dates. I created this post on 5/17 and the poster above I quoted created their account on 5/18, that is just a fact.

Also I failed to mention do not waste your time trying the trial for the game as mentioned above that is more trickery by SOE. The trial is there way of showing you a glimpse of the game THEY WANT YOU TO SEE .. not what the whole game is which is now a stinking pile of garbage. The trial is not the game, it is a completely little fake introduction into something that EQ is not. Again the trial will not let you see the shell the game has become and do not look to their forums for the truth. The mods are the filth of the MMO world that pick and choose what you can see there as well. You get to see what SOE will allow which is post that that do not say anything negative about the game.

The poster above is wrong they will delete any mention of a desire from their fans for a trilogy server back when the game was worth something and will delete peoples post stating they do not like the item shop or other game flaws. If I help one person to save their money by not falling for the SOE scam then this post was worth it. The SOE mods can stop past customers from voicing their opinions on the game in their forums but not here.

The mods locked the longest post in the history of the EQ forums EXACTLY where EQ fans was told to post in regards to a classic server. It was locked without explanation, reason, or justification. They just did not want people to see how many people prefered the game before it is now in it's current broken state. It looked bad that so many thought the game went in the wrong direction. Also after that they deleted or locked any post obtaining the to a trilogy server even when the forum rules were followed.

Also to counter the ridiculous argument above "2ndly, SoE has decided to use their Station Cash store that was developed for Free Realms to add a little flavor and spice to Everquest and its sister games"

I am sorry this is the most absurd bogest argument for these item shops in a sub based games. So to "spice" up the game they made an item shop for items you can buy? Their players are paying the same sub as other paid to play MMOS, why did they have to add the items via an item shop again and not add it into the game database? Would it not have been better for their players already currently paying a sub and buying expanions packs for SOE to add in the items into the game for EVERYONE? It would have been faster to get the players the items you so desire them to have to spice the game up if not taken the time to add in the wonderful item shop feature would it not? Did the item shop save them time to add them? No, it was for SOEs sake only not the players. The items should have been added to the game if the devs wanted to actually get the players new items via quest, mob drops, etc.

It is a bogus arguement, look how ridiculous it looks now. If I pay a sub I best be getting all the items in the game even the "spicy" ones. 

Remember folks look at account creation dates and judge for yourself if they are real player comments or PR from companys.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

I was a classic enthusiast, I looked into EQ early this year when the talk of a new progression server was coming out.  I gotta say, after having played the game for 3 months now, I'm loving it.  It's in my opinion that the EQ devs have done a good job evolving the game to meet today's gamer needs.  I came back to the game after 5 years, after swearing to never play EQ again but you know how it is, gamers always talk a lot on the forums especially when they are disgruntled or bored ;)

I thought I came back to the game to play on a new server, possibly a progression server or even a classic server.  But now I'm glad I started on a regular server, because the game is very fun and worth the time & money I've spent.  There are always people that'll be disgruntled especially when we're talking about a game with a long history.  Many of these folks have good, valid complaints.  Many of them have good opinions.  But you just gotta remember, they are their opinions, nothing more.  Just like me saying I've had a blast playing EQ1 after being gone for 5 years, that's my opinion and mine only.

SOE is a gaming company with a long history.  They've done things that have made players happy, things that made them upset, and things that absolutely drove players crazy.  So this love/hate relationship displayed by the OP with SOE isn't anything new.

I thought station cash and LoN would annoy me, but it really hasn't.  Aside from the GM announcement ingame, which I've spoken up against, I'm not bothered by what they're doing with station cash.  The game is what it is, you can choose to play it or don't, that's up to you.  But a game doesn't make it to 10th year and 14+ expansions being a failure.  In my mind that's called success and they must have done something right.  So as much as you hate them, you gotta give credit where its due.

So anyways, good luck to the OP, hope you find the perfect game for you.  I'm a strong believer that you should play a game only if it's fun for you.  So if it stops being fun, then it's time to play something else.  Remember, it IS a game.  

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• Kungaloosh1Kungaloosh1 Member Posts: 260

OP sounds like a troll with 500+ post count.

To anyone that says eq has copied wow, you lose any argument  you were tring to make.  Chicken and the egg, which came first, that would be eq not wow.

No game has brought out the pure and raw emotion that everquest did in its heyday.  No other game truly shaped what an mmo would and should be other than eq.

It was the first truly 3D mmo out there and it is certainly the largest.

Yes, it is old, yes graphics don't mix zone to zone, but that's what happens with a decades worth of spaghetti code.

Eq isn't without fault, far from it, but for all the garbage you spew in your post, the game makes up for many times over.

Is eq still worth it to try? absolutely. The game is still vibrant with a solid community.

Like others said, bash soe all you want but leave everquest alone.

If you want to crucify something, do it to Smed. He is the killer of good ideas.

• spades07spades07 Member UncommonPosts: 852

er you just paraphrased the OP except you've decided to take exception to that. All he has said is (1) the game is a mismatch- it's game has changed as the game has gone on - True. (2) the forums are crap- I have no idea but he might be right. and (3) SoE have make mmorpgs more about moneymaking than about integrity -true

Originally posted by Kungaloosh1

OP sounds like a troll with 500+ post count.
    To anyone that says eq has copied wow, you lose any argument  you were tring to make.  Chicken and the egg, which came first, that would be eq not wow.

No game has brought out the pure and raw emotion that everquest did in its heyday.  No other game truly shaped what an mmo would and should be other than eq.
    It was the first truly 3D mmo out there and it is certainly the largest.
    Yes, it is old, yes graphics don't mix zone to zone, but that's what happens with a decades worth of spaghetti code.
    Eq isn't without fault, far from it, but for all the garbage you spew in your post, the game makes up for many times over.
    Is eq still worth it to try? absolutely. The game is still vibrant with a solid community.
    Like others said, bash soe all you want but leave everquest alone.
    If you want to crucify something, do it to Smed. He is the killer of good ideas.

It's all in the same, you support EQ you support SOE they are getting the money from it and the ones ruining the game. No other sub based game has thrown in items shops. This hurts all players playing. What you would have obtained normally with your sub fee and expansion cost is now diminished because it will be added to an item shop... just a diry practice. You speak of the good things from the past of EQ which I agree it WAS all of these things .. but that game is gone. 

If you play EQ in it's current state you must be aware of what it is now. Only people playing are long time players that sucked up the changes. You can call me a troll if you like but I would like others to be aware of the current game corruption. Why play an old broken game with the same subscription cost as newer mmos that do not have item shops tacted on? 

I think people should play if they want to. But I want them to realize what they are signing up for.

As for your comment I enlarged, the community is a shell of what it once was. A lot of the current community plays more than one character at a time as well. A lot but not all. 

When was the last time you played EQ1 qombi?

Originally posted by Mardy

When was the last time you played EQ1 qombi?

I quit initially when PoP was introduced then tried the game again in 2005. I also played on progression servers untill they ruined them with unlocking expansions too fast. I like many other veterans returned to play EQ when it was at it's peak. I have followed the changes being made to the game over the years and the item shop on a sub based game takes the cake. I felt before they have made horrible changes to the fundamental game that made EQ, EQ. 

But when they introduced virtual items for real life cash in a sub based game, I would never return again. That is just a sleazy attempt to squeeze the last bit of money out of the game with no consideration for the game itself. If this is supported it could spread to other sub based MMOs where you are already paying a sub for and the cost of expansions, why should you have to pay for items again? The items should be included in the games no matter how much "fluff" they are. That "fluff" would have been contained in the game in the past. 

Even if you do not participate in the item shop, you will get less than you would have previously because some stuff instead of being added to the game it is add via itemshops. Also, if this was required to "fund" the game then why does LOTRO not need to stoop to this dirty practice? Their flluff items are included in the game price and sub fee.

• Markn12Markn12 Member Posts: 222

FIRST off you make it out like you can buy the best items or the best stuff in the game with RL cash which is false.  You can only buy cheap xp potions (which you also can get from the LON card game which they give everyone who plays EQ 5 free booster packs each month) and they sell weapon illusions which you can also get in LON.  You can also get some cheap items and other crap but by far NONE of it is anything highend or even remotly good that you wont replace if you play more.

Second you talk about how there forums are trash ?  You read the ones at this site lately ? 

Third the game is by far the largest game out there and there is so much content that anyone of any level or any experience of playing EQ can do something.  

Now yes ive played EQ since the beta in 99 so 10 + years and I have taken breaks every once in awhile but there is a reason I always come back and that reason is it gives some of us something that wow, vanguard, eq2, LOTR, etc etc etc does not give us.   Bash SOE all you want its a POS company who cares nothing for there customers but do not bash a game that set the benchmark for what MMORPG games are today and do not say EQ copied anything because like the person said ealier what comes first the chicken or the egg.

Oh and im not some wow basher I think wow is a great game and millions of people enjoy it everyday and I enjoyed playing it for the time I did.

I will admit the item shop idea is bad, but i dont know anyone who even uses it for more then weapon illusions.

Ok, just had to make sure you aren't Gnome that used to post on eq's forum, stating the last time he played the game was 8 years ago.  Well if you've tried the current game and you are upset by it, then that's a valid opinion, at least you tried.  Just the way you posted really resembles gnome's post, and you have to agree not having played the game in 8 years really diminishes someone's opinion.

Anyways, I'm guessing you would be happy with SOE  if they made classic server one of the choices on the recent server poll.  You would be calling SOE the best company if the classic server won the vote and would be coming out in the next month or so.  That's my guess, and it's from that I can say your judgement and opinion of SOE is clouded by your desire for a classic server.

I hope they'll have a classic server out in the future to satisfy folks like you, I really do.  But not many MMO companies have done that for their games...DAOC sorta had a classic server but it really wasn't truly classic.

Edit: As for your fluff comment, if you know EQ1, it has more fluff items/quests than most games I know.  It's built-in, not something you have to pay money for.  So your comment isn't really true because you are making it sound like EQ1 has no fluff and that you have to pay for fluff.  Station cash items aside, EQ1 has *tons* of fluff items, quests, and illusions you can get in the game.

Ok, just had to make sure you aren't Gnome that used to post on eq's forum, stating the last time he played the game was 8 years ago.  Well if you've tried the current game and you are upset by it, then that's a valid opinion, at least you tried.  Just the way you posted really resembles gnome's post, and you have to agree not having played the game in 8 years really diminishes someone's opinion.
    Anyways, I'm guessing you would be happy with SOE  if they made classic server one of the choices on the recent server poll.  You would be calling SOE the best company if the classic server won the vote and would be coming out in the next month or so.  That's my guess, and it's from that I can say your judgement and opinion of SOE is clouded by your desire for a classic server.
    I hope they'll have a classic server out in the future to satisfy folks like you, I really do.  But not many MMO companies have done that for their games...DAOC sorta had a classic server but it really wasn't truly classic.
    Edit: As for your fluff comment, if you know EQ1, it has more fluff items/quests than most games I know.  It's built-in, not something you have to pay money for.  So your comment isn't really true because you are making it sound like EQ1 has no fluff and that you have to pay for fluff.  Station cash items aside, EQ1 has *tons* of fluff items, quests, and illusions you can get in the game.

I do not know who you are referring to on the SOE forums but in regards to your assumption about me being happy if a classic server released .. nope I will not play a game with a virtual item shop for cash in it. My comment is valid, the fluff that would be in the game in the future will be diminished because of station cash. Please answer my question to why LOTRO or other similar MMOs do not need a cash shop in their sub based games, they put all their items be it armor or fluff straight into the game for the sub price and expansion fees?

Originally posted by qombi

Please answer my question to why LOTRO or other similar MMOs do not need a cash shop in their sub based games, they put all their items be it armor or fluff straight into the game for the sub price and expansion fees?

I'm not a fan of station cash, but I don't think it affects the game as much as you think it does.  Again, you are making it sound like EQ expansions do not bundle fluff and armor into the game, it does.  The fact is there are plenty of fluff and upgraded armor/weapons that come with each and every EQ expansion, that whatever they put out for station cash is just that lil extra.

Something that makes your old weapon looks different for an example, is a good use of station cash. You can buy a weapon mold that changes how your weapon looks, no matter how old your weapon is.  Unless you are telling me all other MMO's go the extra steps to change the model graphics of age old weapons?   Other MMO's simply leave old weapons the way they are, because they add new ones and sell you in bundled expansions.  EQ does the same thing, except they offer weapon molds that gives you the *option* to change how old weapons look.

By the way I'll just add that LOTR Online is a good game.  I see you are a supporter of LOTR Online, so good for you, I'm happy you have a game you like.  Personally that game isn't for me, I have my own reasons that I don't need to go into right now.  But I acknowledge LOTR Online is a good game for many, and that Turbine was one of my favorite companies as I loved Asheron's Call.  But no companies are perfect, and each companies operate using different business/subscription models.  SOE has a game that people can play for free, called Free Realms.  Does Turbine have that?

My point is they make their money whatever way they choose.  You can opt to choose to play their games or not.  In your case, you choose not to play EQ1 due to SOE, which is fine.  But to me, they have done a good job evolving EQ1....a 10 year old game (just reminding you in case you find it a fair match to compare EQ1 to LOTR Online which is only 2 years old).

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

First off the game has been destroyed with expansions. The game is mixmatched garbage now. Main class abilities have been trivialized by changes made in sake of trying to copy WoW. The game's graphics are different throughout the zones, they never made things match at all. The lore has become ridiculous and everything is basically broken. It is not the game it use to be and not good in it's present form. Very bad game, waste of your money. 
    Second, Everquest, Everquest 2 and Vanguard are about the only subscription based games with virtual items for real life cash tacted on. That is right you pay the same prices subscription 15/month as other newer MMOs and still they have a cash shop .. very dirty. 
    Third, the forum mods are trash, pathetic, garbage that delete anything negative said about the current game and anything that mentions their scam virtual items for cash addition to the game. These are the worst mods around, there will delete post they do not agree with even though it's not against the rules. Those are not forums, not where forum mods pick and choose what hidesthe negative aspects of their game. People need to be aware this company is theives trying to hide the negative things about the game. Also they will delete any post of anyone that make known their wishes of a trilogy server. They want to ignore the largest post in the history of their forums by locking it and sweeping it under the rug. 
    Buyer beware. 

The ONLY games??Have you been living under a rock? WOW is the largest RMT benefactor of any game by miles,all 3 of those games you mentioned could not come close to the cash spent on rmt via WOW.All SOE did was try to keep that illegal activity in house where at least the benefactor is the one who actually put the game together and spent millions doing it.

As a matter of fact RMT activity is rampant in ALL games ,it is of epedemic proportions and there is NO way on earth you can blame anyone other than the players themselves.Trying to blame SOE or any developer is just a cop out.The problems are in the player base because players are selfish they couldn't care less about their fellow gamer,it's number 1 all the way.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Please answer my question to why LOTRO or other similar MMOs do not need a cash shop in their sub based games, they put all their items be it armor or fluff straight into the game for the sub price and expansion fees?

I'm not a fan of station cash, but I don't think it affects the game as much as you think it does.  Again, you are making it sound like EQ expansions do not bundle fluff and armor into the game, it does.  The fact is there are plenty of fluff and upgraded armor/weapons that come with each and every EQ expansion, that whatever they put out for station cash is just that lil extra.

Something that makes your old weapon looks different for an example, is a good use of station cash. You can buy a weapon mold that changes how your weapon looks, no matter how old your weapon is.  Unless you are telling me all other MMO's go the extra steps to change the model graphics of age old weapons?   Other MMO's simply leave old weapons the way they are, because they add new ones and sell you in bundled expansions.  EQ does the same thing, except they offer weapon molds that gives you the *option* to change how old weapons look.

By the way I'll just add that LOTR Online is a good game.  I see you are a supporter of LOTR Online, so good for you, I'm happy you have a game you like.  Personally that game isn't for me, I have my own reasons that I don't need to go into right now.  But I acknowledge LOTR Online is a good game for many, and that Turbine was one of my favorite companies as I loved Asheron's Call.  But no companies are perfect, and each companies operate using different business/subscription models.  SOE has a game that people can play for free, called Free Realms.  Does Turbine have that?

My point is they make their money whatever way they choose.  You can opt to choose to play their games or not.  In your case, you choose not to play EQ1 due to SOE, which is fine.  But to me, they have done a good job evolving EQ1....a 10 year old game (just reminding you in case you find it a fair match to compare EQ1 to LOTR Online which is only 2 years old).

Free Realms is a free game with an item shop which I am fine with that is one business model. My issue is SOE thinks they can do that with their current sub based games as well which is greedy. I believe all items should be obtained in game if you are paying a sub and for expansion packs. Free Realms is nothing special there are tons of free to play games with item shops for the way to fund them ... I don't even no how that pertains to the disagreement I have.

Remember people bought EQ with the business model of sub fee and buying the game/expansions. Next this was forced upon them. I recommend not supporting this. This "fluff" could have been put into the game without the item shops just as other games would that have a sub. One or the other not both.

Originally posted by Wizardry

Buyer beware. 

The ONLY games??Have you been living under a rock? WOW is the largest RMT benefactor of any game by miles,all 3 of those games you mentioned could not come close to the cash spent on rmt via WOW.All SOE did was try to keep that illegal activity in house where at least the benefactor is the one who actually put the game together and spent millions doing it.

As a matter of fact RMT activity is rampant in ALL games ,it is of epedemic proportions and there is NO way on earth you can blame anyone other than the players themselves.Trying to blame SOE or any developer is just a cop out.The problems are in the player base because players are selfish they couldn't care less about their fellow gamer,it's number 1 all the way.

You are confusing RMT with people doing illegal activities .. that is avoiding what the company is doing. That doesn't even make sense. FACT: SOE has put virtual items for cash into their subcription based games. 

Give it time, SOE isn't the first nor will be the last gaming company to adopt the RMT microtransaction model.

Give it time, SOE isn't the first nor will be the last gaming company to adopt the RMT microtransaction model.

And if you make it successful now as a player supporting it then it will. If it is unsuccessful ,seen as a bad thing then it will not. People are not stupid. They realize that the current MMOs are making plenty of money off of a sub alone with expansion packs .. or companys that make their games FREE and add an item shop are doing fine as well .... there is no need for both that is greed.

To point out more greed with SOE which is easy to do. Remember when other games after EQ started giving you free content patches along with your sub? The first time I saw this was in WoW I was amazed. EQ made you pay for every little thing they gave you extra in expansions. I was reading the notes for the Legacy of Ykesha expansion (didn't buy it) .. they wanted you to pay for a very small expansion ... that included stuff like extra bank slots? That stuff is given to all players in current MMOs. 

Also while all other MMOs are giving you free content patches .. in EQ2 SOE wanted their fanbase to pay for each content patch called "adventure packs". What was it 5 -6$ a pop? Ridiculous .. WoW and LOTRO was putting out the same amount of content via free patches.

• vladwwvladww Member UncommonPosts: 417

- Everquest was slowly ruined from Luclin Expansion onward

- SWG was destroyed at once with the NGE

- Vanguard gameplay has been slowly reduced to a dumb pos.

These are originally 3 great games with huge potential.

SOE has lost the plot years ago.

R.I.P.

Playing : Uncharted Waters Online

And if you make it successful now as a player supporting it then it will. If it is unsuccessful ,seen as a bad thing then it will not. People are not stupid. They realize that the current MMOs are making plenty of money off of a sub alone with expansion packs .. or companys that make their games FREE and add an item shop are doing fine as well .... there is no need for both that is greed.

One thing I'll agree with you is that people are not stupid.  People subscribe and pay to play the game they have fun in, the game they want to play.  So I never look down on people who choose to subscribe to EQ1.  You on the other hand, think people are somehow wrong for having fun.  Just look at the posts you've made regarding EQ/SOE in an attempt to get people to not buy their product.

Does it bother you *that much* people have fun in EQ?  Does it bug you that many people don't share your views and opinions of things SOE have done?

One thing I'll agree with you is that people are not stupid.  People subscribe and pay to play the game they have fun in, the game they want to play.  So I never look down on people who choose to subscribe to EQ1.  You on the other hand, think people are somehow wrong for having fun.  Just look at the posts you've made regarding EQ/SOE in an attempt to get people to not buy their product.

Does it bother you *that much* people have fun in EQ?  Does it bug you that many people don't share your views and opinions of things SOE have done?

I am only making people aware of changes and my opinion that is what forums are for. Unfortunately on the SOE forums that isn't allowed to share you negative view on the product that you are unhappy with. Forums are not just for good PR for the company while weeding out the bad PR. I also am bringing to light their shady practices and it is up to the player to decide if this is shady to them or not. 

You are taking it personal. These are MY views of the game. 

• MidniteHowlMidniteHowl Member UncommonPosts: 149

In regards to the item shop issue, if you feel this is crooked and gives players that are willing  to pay cash for in-game items an unfair advantage, what's the difference from SOE charging for it or the gold sellers/spammers? As far as I can tell so far, there isn't a thing on these shops for SOE games that I can't get in-game under my normal subscription. If there is an item that can only be obtained on the shops, it isn't game altering items that would give someone an unfair advantage. So my opinion is just don't use the shops and carry on as normal...I've been doing just that!

Originally posted by MidniteHowl

In regards to the item shop issue, if you feel this is crooked and gives players that are willing  to pay cash for in-game items an unfair advantage, what's the difference from SOE charging for it or the gold sellers/spammers? As far as I can tell so far, there isn't a thing on these shops for SOE games that I can't get in-game under my normal subscription. If there is an item that can only be obtained on the shops, it isn't game altering items that would give someone an unfair advantage. So my opinion is just don't use the shops and carry on as normal...I've been doing just that!

You are missing the point. It is pure greed. SOE is the only subscription based business model to add item shops to their games, I dont' care what the items are .. they should be in the game for the expansion prices and sub fees. Other MMOs are making plenty of money with that successfully subscription model and others are making plenty of money off of the free game with items shops .. but SOE feels they need to do both.

Those items should be included in the game for the sub fee and expansion packs plain and simple. Why pay extra? LOTRO gives you all items for the same sub price. It also takes away from it being a game where all items are obtained in game rather than some with your credit card.  But that is the reason I stay away from free to play games with item shops .. they are just not for me. But that is okay it is a fine business model for those who like it. ... but remember SOE has a subsciption fee.

• MidniteHowlMidniteHowl Member UncommonPosts: 149

Originally posted by MidniteHowl

You are missing the point. It is pure greed. SOE is the only subscription based business model to add item shops to their games, I dont' care what the items are .. they should be in the game for the expansion prices and sub fees. Other MMOs are making plenty of money with that successfully subscription model and others are making plenty of money off of the free game with items shops .. but SOE feels they need to do both.

Those items should be included in the game for the sub fee and expansion packs plain and simple. Why pay extra? LOTRO gives you all items for the same sub price. It also takes away from it being a game where all items are obtained in game rather than some with your credit card.  But that is the reason I stay away from free to play games with item shops .. they are just not for me. But that is okay it is a fine business model for those who like it. ... but remember SOE has a subsciption fee.

Well I understand your point now. I see you and I just see greed differently. I can agree with you that it's greed, but it doesn't bother me. We're all greedy in some way or another. I mean, if you had something that had a bunch of monthly customers, and then you found a way to possibly get more money from them, would you do it? Or would you let your morals get in the way? And that's where we could be different. I would go the way of more money, maybe you would say "I'm happy with the way things are going and not going to change a thing." The other thing is with SOE's greedy item shop idea is it's not hurting anything. They're trying to squeak out more money from us, and if it came down to losing customers over it, I guarantee they would remove it. If it was added, it can also be removed.

Also, the items are available in-game for your subscription and store bought price. They are just offering services to people who are either to lazy or feel they are to pressed for time to go quest for these items. Not much fun to me that way but hey to each his own.