Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Torchlight: Torchlight Screens

SzarkSzark News ManagerMember Posts: 4,420

Today we present six new screenshots from Torchlight, which was recently added to our game list.

MMORPG Screenshot

See more Torchlight Screenshots.

Comments

• rhinokrhinok Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

Why is this on MMORPG.com?  Torchlight, in it's current stage, will be a moddable single-player only title.  Only later will it be turned into a MMO.  I definitely appreciate the interest in it given the devs' past with Mythos and the promise of a future MMO, but Torchlight, right now, isn't a MMO.  It isn't even multiplayer.

~Ripper

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

Diablo III came up on my mind when looking at these screenshots.

• reanorreanor Member UncommonPosts: 441

WoW graphics again. Cartoons for the win. Hey kids, there is another game for you. But then again all the toys and games as one of the toy kinds is for kids. So its all good, I guess. Its good that there are game developers with different views on the game design.

• WebbstreWebbstre Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by rhinok

Why is this on MMORPG.com?  Torchlight, in it's current stage, will be a moddable single-player only title.  Only later will it be turned into a MMO.  I definitely appreciate the interest in it given the devs' past with Mythos and the promise of a future MMO, but Torchlight, right now, isn't a MMO.  It isn't even multiplayer.
    ~Ripper

This is true - the screenshots are all for the single player game. The release date on the site also says fourth quarter this year, but that is for the single player game as well - the MMO will come out about 2 years from now (if the devs' estimates are right).

• OyjordOyjord Member UncommonPosts: 568

~Ripper

Agreed.

First MMORPG allows the onslaught of cheap Asian MMOs (aka Item Malls), and now they've begun allowing games which are by no means MMORPGs.

How much are they getting paid, you have to ask yourself.

Please go back to doing what you do best, lest you scare your audience away to sites that acutally cover MMORPGs.

• DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

~Ripper

As your own post indicates, it's a game that is going to be an MMO. While the single-player game comes first, I have no doubt these screenshots are indicitive of the eventual MMO product as well.

Technically speaking, right now, this game isn't anything since it isn't out. We cover all sorts of games long before they launch. So why should we ignore this one just because they're launching portions of the game as a single player project prior to the MMO launch?

That said, I will update the projected date to relfect the MMO portions.

The truth is that the line between what is and is not an MMO has become a lot less cut and dry than it was years ago when we launched this site. So, we've made a conscious decision to make more logical judgement calls to cover games that promote themselves as MMOs (this does) and is likely to be of interest to our audience. If we stick to just the pure, old school, subscription fantasy MMORPG, our scope would be unecessarily narrow. This game is headed towards being an MMO - even if it has an intermediary step - so I see no reason to dimiss it just because of that in between step.

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com
    Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

• InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663

I'm playing it, Ive been waiting for Runic to release something for awhile now. Big fan of travis, he was the saving grace on the HGL forums for awhile and came out with great work in mythos. I liked the Fate 1 and 2, small simple games but I think he is expanding that in Torchlight. It's going to be one of those fun-2-play games in single player; I feel they are doing the right thing to release single first, get some fanbase then unleash them online. Some things are done best in stages.

Good article.

Ink

• WintersbiteWintersbite Member Posts: 146
    Originally posted by EricDanie

Diablo III came up on my mind when looking at these screenshots.

I would say more Dungeon Runners as it seems to fit the cartoony hack and slash.

Still looks fun.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Originally posted by Inktomi

I'm playing it, Ive been waiting for Runic to release something for awhile now. Big fan of travis, he was the saving grace on the HGL forums for awhile and came out with great work in mythos. I liked the Fate 1 and 2, small simple games but I think he is expanding that in Torchlight. It's going to be one of those fun-2-play games in single player; I feel they are doing the right thing to release single first, get some fanbase then unleash them online. Some things are done best in stages.
    Good article.
    Ink

You are playing it?

I figured it is not even in alpha stage , friends and family beta ?

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

As Max Schaefer put it, it's Scooby Doo vs Diablo. They also made the game Fate which was pretty good as well. I like Runic and they will bring us a good mmo that I am sure many will be suprised in a good way.

• InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663

No I'm sorry I wrote it totally wrong, lol. What I meant is, "I'm going to be playing it when it is released". I meant that in a I'm playing it no matter what kinda way.

My bad.

• fatpandafatpanda Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Originally posted by Oyjord

~Ripper

Agreed.

First MMORPG allows the onslaught of cheap Asian MMOs (aka Item Malls), and now they've begun allowing games which are by no means MMORPGs.

How much are they getting paid, you have to ask yourself.

Please go back to doing what you do best, lest you scare your audience away to sites that acutally cover MMORPGs.

I've always been in the "if you don't like it leave" group. So feel free to....

• fatpandafatpanda Member UncommonPosts: 116

If any of you played Mythos at all then you'd would be highly anticipating this game. Cartoony graphics or not, Mythos rocked hard.

• Mariner-80Mariner-80 Member Posts: 347

Mythos was very fun. I have high hopes for this game, too. I expect it to be a light, casual game that's easy on spec requirements and, although similar to Dungeons Runners in some ways, *substantially* less goofy. (The general level of Dungeon Runner silliness got on my nerves fast.)

I do hope they have a more variable (rotatable, zoomable) camera control, as this was a very frustrating limitation in Mythos.