Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New EvE Experiment. Project BeliEvE. Can a new player really compete?

PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

If you just take a look at the threads on this forum alone, you can see many questions about this, and many answers from fans and haters a like, but as a proespective player, who do you believe? Who is telling the truth? Can a new player really compete?

Project BeliEvE attempts to answer this question with a definitive yes or no.

Armon Deacon is a new freshly created character who will be attempting to progress quickly to "Competing" with the vets. His daily progress will be documented and tracked via this blog.

The character will recieve no outside help monitarily or with items from established characters and his API key has been published for easy validation.

Haters and Fans alike will soon have a definitive answer to the age old question, can a new player really compete with the vets in EvE?

Comments

• SynthetickSynthetick Member Posts: 977

Creating a new character and seeing if you can compete isn't the same as seeing if a brand new player could compete. The only thing they will have in common is equipment and such. If the guy doing this has experience with the game he isn't proving a new player could compete, he's proving the equipment they have might be suitable to compete. 

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

I am in! and bump this thread anytime I can :)

A sticky maybe?

• DevilXaphanDevilXaphan Member UncommonPosts: 1,144

Should be a worthy read.

Originally posted by Synthetick
    Creating a new character and seeing if you can compete isn't the same as seeing if a brand new player could compete. The only thing they will have in common is equipment and such. If the guy doing this has experience with the game he isn't proving a new player could compete, he's proving the equipment they have might be suitable to compete. 

He is proving the game mechanics allows that, that's whole point. A needed point.

• JuJutsuJuJutsu Member Posts: 331

What forum will you be competing in, military or economic?

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

Problem is the definition of the word 'compete'. The scope of EvE as far as things to be or roles to play, is pretty big. Between the noob and vet, the noob can catch up to compete in one arena/role fairly quickly, but not in many arenas/roles.

Also 'compete' is only one way to interact in EvE. A good question would be: how quickly can a new player contribute?

I would say the entire idea of noobs catching up with vets just shows that a person doesn't have a full understanding of the game, (which would be normal for new players I guess)  and is probably comparing the ideas of 'compete' 'new player' 'vet' and even 'mmo' based on previous, much different mmo's.

Originally posted by JuJutsu

Quote from blog:
    I will be creating a completely new character, the character will receive no start up cash, no implant help, nothing a new player couldnt receive simply from playing the game. This character will focus on getting into pvp and being competetive as soon as possible.

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293
    Originally posted by JuJutsu

Mainly military, as that is what most folks seem to be concerned with, and economic... that is fairly easy to get into regardless of age, its primarily a capital issue. But I do like the idea of trading, and may dable with it from time to time to keep my funds up for pew pew, but this is mainly a PvP experiment

Originally posted by dhayes68

Problem is the definition of the word 'compete'. The scope of EvE as far as things to be or roles to play, is pretty big. Between the noob and vet, the noob can catch up to compete in one arena/role fairly quickly, but not in many arenas/roles.
    Also 'compete' is only one way to interact in EvE. A good question would be: how quickly can a new player contribute?
    I would say the entire idea of noobs catching up with vets just shows that a person doesn't have a full understanding of the game, (which would be normal for new players I guess)  and is probably comparing the ideas of 'compete' 'new player' 'vet' and even 'mmo' based on previous, much different mmo's.

Contribute to pvp effectively.

Kill a veteran.

These are the goals. EvE has a different style and definitely different mechanics than other MMO's, however, this blog is targeted for those types. People who are afraid of EvE, or think its to late, therefore the language will be in words they understand.

Originally posted by dhayes68

You're playing with words, nitpicking or trolling...

He is comparing what can be done as a vet and what can done as a new character, truly a competition and right word to use.

• LimaBravoLimaBravo Member Posts: 11

Make a Caldari Miner, join a low sec corp, aim at a raven.  Torpedoes and FOF standards can deal with anything the PVE throughs at you and a Heron is great ECM (Which is nerfed) so tackle in a COndor till youve trained up  Kestrel Which tackles and kills.

Its super easy to compete Im sore theres a similar path for other races too.

No really.

• qwenidenqweniden Member Posts: 151

Im a new player and if the goal is to have fun, then I am very competive already

• JGMIIIJGMIII Member Posts: 1,282

It's too easy to prove either side right.

I could get into a Inty within a month and be useful right away Or I could train for over  ayear and get into the crazy shit the guys in 0.0 blob with.

Either side could use that to support their argument.

Playing: EvE, Ryzom

Originally posted by JGMIII

It's too easy to prove either side right.
    I could get into a Inty within a month and be useful right away Or I could train for over  ayear and get into the crazy shit the guys in 0.0 blob with.
    Either side could use that to support their argument.

Well personally Im not aiming for the big blobs in 0.0, looking more for the smaller scale piracy / merc / war pvp. Looking for a corp now, we will see how it goes.

• jposavatzjposavatz Member Posts: 161

Sounds like a fun, interesting project.  Best of luck to you.  I'll bookmark the blog to check in every so often and see how you're doing.

To the OP:  Just a quick question - are you a new player to EVE, or just starting a new character? 

I ask because obviously there are 2 curves any player must tackle within EVE... the learning curve (e.g. how do I get from A to B, what's a good fitting for my ship, how do I get out of a gate camp if I run into one, etc.) and then there's the growth curve (e.g. money, skill points, implants, etc.).  Whereas your experiment will succesfully test #2, I'm not sure that there's a good way to test #1 without truly being a new player (or taking lots of mind altering drugs!)

I have a fairly basic knowledge of eve.

Enough to know how to fit a ship, how to run missions effectively, and basics of trade. I have an account I have had off and on since 2003 with roughly 10 months of game time, however NEVER more than 1 month back to back.

I know enough to get a decent start, but when it comes to the mechanics of pvp, gang / fleet warefare, I am more or less a newb.

• EnkinduEnkindu Member Posts: 1,098

It's a little dated now but i wrote about this in a thread a while back:

For those afraid they can "never catch up"....

deviliscious: (PS. I have been told that when I use scientific language, it does not make me sound more intelligent, it only makes me sound like a jackass. It makes me appear that I am not knowledgable enough in the subject I am discussing to be able to translate it for people outside the field to understand. Some advice you might consider as well)

Good read

Thanks man- I'll be keeping track of your progress as well.

Good luck you noob : )

deviliscious: (PS. I have been told that when I use scientific language, it does not make me sound more intelligent, it only makes me sound like a jackass. It makes me appear that I am not knowledgable enough in the subject I am discussing to be able to translate it for people outside the field to understand. Some advice you might consider as well)

• CoffeeGruntCoffeeGrunt Member Posts: 192

yes you can ...but since the learning curve is high (or years ^^) you might encounter difficulties on 1 on 1 ...wich in my 1 year EVE expirience i had only twice . With eve youve to think outside of the mmo box , many things different ..specialy it got an extreme learning curve . you need a long breath for this one , for me it was a touch too mouch . the mechanics tend to remind you of a browser game from time to time ...also the monthly fees are a bit high for such an aged product ,

I dunno, for a product that continually gives 2 free expansions a year and just got a major graphical overhaul, I personally dont mind the fee.

Well holy crap, a newbie with less than a 100,000 skill points has gotten into some pvp! /boggle

2 kills 1 death

http://miningcorporation.griefwatch.net/index.php?p=pilot&pilot=Armon Deacon

• StaatsschutzStaatsschutz Member Posts: 90
    Originally posted by Pyrostasis

If you just take a look at the threads on this forum alone, you can see many questions about this, and many answers from fans and haters a like, but as a proespective player, who do you believe? Who is telling the truth? Can a new player really compete?
    Project BeliEvE attempts to answer this question with a definitive yes or no.
    Armon Deacon is a new freshly created character who will be attempting to progress quickly to "Competing" with the vets. His daily progress will be documented and tracked via this blog.
    The character will recieve no outside help monitarily or with items from established characters and his API key has been published for easy validation.
    Haters and Fans alike will soon have a definitive answer to the age old question, can a new player really compete with the vets in EvE?

this cant possibly be a definitive answer, no matter what the outcome of your "experiment" will be. Ive seen new players joining eve, and while the one of them got very successfull in a short amount of time from learning the basics of the game, how to skill, how to fit ships, how to save up for a navy issue battleship etc.,  the other is still struggling, not being able to do lvl 3 missions without losing his battlecruiser 50% of the time

I think what he wants to show, to counter a point of constant criticism on these boards, is that when a new player fails to succeed at eve it is because of the PLAYER"S shortcomings and not because the game is insurmountably difficult.

There's a great saying: winners find a way to win, losers find a way to lose ; )