Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stargate Worlds: Firesky Comments on Elggren's Departure

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

On May 12th, news broke that Studio Head Dan Elggren would be leaving Firesky, the company making Stargate Worlds. Today, MMORPG.com has received comment from the company about the issue.

On May 12th, TenTonHammer reported that Dan Elggren, the Studio head at Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment (Firesky) and one of the leading developers of Stargate Worlds, had left the company.

They gleaned this announcement from a personal blog posted by Elggren's wife where she wrote that her husband was leaving the company. In it she wrote that "Over 100 employees have left since October, so Dan felt he was as loyal as he possibly could be considering that he was basically volunteering for work and not getting paid! It's such a shame, because the game he's been working on for over three years was within several months of being ready to ship!"

Read Firesky Comments on Elggren's Departure

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• SlackerboySlackerboy Member Posts: 142

Wow, with great news like "In a post on the official Stargate Worlds forums, Elggren expressed his belief that Stargate Worlds still "has a chance" to ship." I think we can all sit back and breath easier now.

I really am upset this had to happen to this game, but with it having so much trouble I am not even sure I want to see it come out now. There is no way they are going to be able to release a polished product under these conditions, so even if it comes out I have a real bad feeling it will not be worth the money.

• AlienShirtAlienShirt Member UncommonPosts: 621

SGW should have already been released by now.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

WOW just WOW.Fresh eyes?a game that is broke is talking about fresh eyes like they have the luxury to up and start some new direction?  lmao.This game is officially done,i cannot see anyone playing this game at any time in the future.There is no reason to futher any more hardship,pain ,money loss,pack it in and call it a day.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ThradarThradar Member Posts: 949

Lots of drama in the gaming industry this week.  3DRealms shuts down, then this...and probably other drama I don't even know about.

• maxstonemaxstone Member Posts: 151

I don't see how his comment can be seen as "good" news..."chance to ship" means things are very shaky and it'll take something good happening for them to make it. Not that it'll be successful at launch...we can pretty much assume it won't considering the amount of delays and drama that it probably won't be.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Pretty much the death knell for this MMO.  Chances are slim it will ever see the light of day.

• JYCowboyJYCowboy Member UncommonPosts: 652

The only way to gain additional interest in this product is if the "Star Gate Universe" series is a hit.  If Sci-Fi's new show is recieved positivally then new efforts could continue on this MMO.

But, I highly doubt that this series will come close to the success of SG-1 or Atlantis from first impressions.

• SidereusSidereus Member Posts: 316

gosh... are we going to see a Stargate game 1 day... it IS unbelieveable

QUESTION:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xridnasa:
    -
    What's a "grocery store"? Is that like McDonald's?
    -
    ANSWER:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sidimazz:
    -
    Kind of, just without the rapist.

• AbeSimpsonAbeSimpson Member Posts: 24

so many games go through hardship and make it out on top. This one sure does get more press then others...never say never! I want a stargate game!!

Playing:
    CS:S, Waiting to try out TOR.
    Played: Sword of the New World, Infantryzone, Ragnarok Online,RF Online, Fury, Tabula Rasa, Star Wars Galaxies, Cosmic Rift....

• XtremepayneXtremepayne Member Posts: 1

Last time I saw the letters SWG they had bad karma attached to them.  Here you see the letters SGW, I  would hate to see those letters affect this game.

All joking aside, I would hate to see this game not make it to ship date, even if its not polished, I would still play it, in hopes that my monthly subscription fee amoung many others as well, help it over this stroke of misfortune and be there for the long haul.  I am sure I am not alone in my opinion.

• MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780

"Has a chance to ship" = "Hope my lotto numbers come up this week/month/year".

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834
    Originally posted by maxstone

I don't see how his comment can be seen as "good" news..."chance to ship" means things are very shaky and it'll take something good happening for them to make it. Not that it'll be successful at launch...we can pretty much assume it won't considering the amount of delays and drama that it probably won't be.

Well my perspective is that's better news than the blog saying

"it was a few months from shipping..."

Depending on the perspective anyone here might have... this may make more sense to some than... others.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

"AAAAGGGRRRRIIIICCCCCOOOLLLLAAAA!!!! You're going to have to come down here and finish off CME yourself!"

[Gary Whiting on finding out about the leaked info]

"No Gary, I've hurt you ..... and I wish to go on ...... hurting you"

Sorry just daydreaming there, So Dan is being replaced by Rod? So who is doing Rods job? Ahh yes Rod is still doing his old job as that actually pays money, and is a placeholder for Dans old voluntary position until either a miracle happens or a charity worker comes along. Or CME closes doors finally, but that won't happen until MGM does something or the U.S goverment shuts down MMOGULs, beam me up Scotty!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• WintersbiteWintersbite Member Posts: 146

Might want to remove this game from the site now ;p

• StarDaggerStarDagger Member Posts: 135

I was explaining this game to one of my girlfriends, and since we watch Stargate Atlantis together she had some interest.  I told her that the franchises universe is PERFECT for an MMO, I then added "if it is done right, it will be a classic".

I think the games industry needs to keep people with a corporate outlook far far far away from the development of ANY game.  I think an MBA should automatically disqualify you from managing in the games industry.

I can think of few things easier than taking the extremely popular Stargate franchise, distilling the things that make it cool and exciting, and making a great MMO.  The options are endless as the imagination of the people developing the game.

Make an exciting game and people will come to play it!

If half the energy that went into "How are we going to make 40 trillion euros from this game", went into "How are we going to make this game so good that subscribers lose their wives/girlfriends/mistresses because it is better than sex!" then not only would the game be great but they would end up making a huge amount of money as well.

I dont know what it is with franchises, but right now Star Wars, Star Trek, BSG, Dr. Who, Battletech and Stargate do not have any games, nevermind MMOs!!!  WTF?!?!

Yours in Anti-Suit Plasma,

Star¤Dagger

P.S. ST and SW have mmos in development, and anyone who thinks that Galaxies is a Star Wars MMO needs to watch the movies again or read one of the decent books to realize that mmo is not SW.

• streeastreea Member UncommonPosts: 654

*sigh* Really doesn't look like we'll ever get an SG1 game...

• ishkariotishkariot Member Posts: 5

Originally posted by StarDagger

[...]

I can think of few things easier than taking the extremely popular Stargate franchise, distilling the things that make it cool and exciting, and making a great MMO. The options are endless as the imagination of the people developing the game.

Make an exciting game and people will come to play it!

If half the energy that went into "How are we going to make 40 trillion euros from this game", went into "How are we going to make this game so good that subscribers lose their wives/girlfriends/mistresses because it is better than sex!" then not only would the game be great but they would end up making a huge amount of money as well.

[...]  

You defintely got a point there.

---You dare to challenge me? Click this!---
  • Joker2240Joker2240 Member Posts: 664

I would suggest you all read up on who Rod is. He is a really talented guy and is a vet in the gaming industry. He is really good!

• openedge1openedge1 Member Posts: 2,582

This story reminds me of the Chris Coleman's family murder case currently underway.

So far the husband has NOT been indicted. Yet...

Why would he call police to have them check on his family instead of driving home himself and checking?

"Oh, what is this? You have a Girlfriend in Florida?"

The family of the dead wife calls and says they wish to have their daughter's body there for a funeral service, husband denies request. Jerk!!

But, he is not a suspect the police say...

In so many words, like Chris Coleman, Firesky can say all they want about this situation...but, sorry, this game is Guilty of being Dead.

• bjgladitschbjgladitsch Member Posts: 88

In a few weeks we will see an announcement that the company is "going in a new direction" and has decided that SGW does not fit that direction and will stop production..they will issue an appology and that willbe the end fo the game

• JYCowboyJYCowboy Member UncommonPosts: 652
    Originally posted by bjgladitsch

In a few weeks we will see an announcement that the company is "going in a new direction" and has decided that SGW does not fit that direction and will stop production..they will issue an appology and that willbe the end fo the game

Its a small company for the purpose of making this game.  It will simply close with no new direction.  MGM may assume the work done and shop it but more than likely the heads of the closing company will closet the work.  Money talks and if the new Star Gate TV series is a hit then more attention will be brought to this game.

• StarDaggerStarDagger Member Posts: 135

I read nothing into it being "dead", the situation might be worse, they might just release it "as-is" and we will have a living death like Conan.

I like my living dead where they belong, in Left 4 Dead!  "I hate games that are released too early"

S*D

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695
    Originally posted by StarDagger

I read nothing into it being "dead", the situation might be worse, they might just release it "as-is" and we will have a living death like Conan.
    I like my living dead where they belong, in Left 4 Dead!  "I hate games that are released too early"

S*D

If they released the game "as is" people would be immensely disappointed.  The last time the servers were up and running, nearly everything, save a few quest givers and hostile npcs, was occupied by placeholders.  There were only about 4 of the mini-games actually functioning and most of the classes were non-funtional beyond basic shooting with a couple specials and a self heal.  Many times they have said they are still working on the game, which may be true, but the reality is that when the CB servers shut down, the game was only marginally better than it was in closed alpha.

• GGordon27GGordon27 Member Posts: 42

I believe SGW is not going to make it. CME is having to many problems and complications, with either financial negotiations, reports of staff not being paid, and now studio head has jumped ship as well, not to mention the rumors that the game is not fairing very well. I think they should go ahead and either hand the project over to a more qualified and expierienced development company, or scratch the whole thing all together, I believe that if CME continues with the production of this game, it will crush the Stargate franchise, and make lots of fans upset.

• Tenbwen1Tenbwen1 Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Originally posted by GGordon27

I believe SGW is not going to make it. CME is having to many problems and complications, with either financial negotiations, reports of staff not being paid, and now studio head has jumped ship as well, not to mention the rumors that the game is not fairing very well. I think they should go ahead and either hand the project over to a more qualified and expierienced development company, or scratch the whole thing all together, I believe that if CME continues with the production of this game, it will crush the Stargate franchise, and make lots of fans upset.

so your saying SOE going to take it over like they did with Vanguard.

Tenbwen