Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Official site is now down.

TrollaramaTrollarama Member Posts: 96

Hi guys. First thread and first post here.

I've noticed they have pulled down the Official Tabula Rasa website today. It was still up for awhile until now. I've also noticed some fansite links go straight to NC Soft. I'm wondering if the recent news of Richard's lawsuit compelled them to pull it down as I'm very intrigued by the future events.

I realize I might be fantasizing too much but I have this slim hope that Richard Garriott will gather some nice cash off NC Soft and somehow salvage the rights to Tabula Rasa and put it back online. I'll definitely support the game for several months at least if they do that. I had pre ordered this game before release and only now after playing several other MMOs and trialling a number of games, and recently I really really miss this game and to me I think it was one of the best MMOs out there. You don't realize what  you've lost until it's gone.

Cheers to everyone wishing a miracle.

us.ncsoft.com/index.html

Comments

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

and why is this here, in the forum for a totally different game? 

EDIT: Weirrrdddddd.....when i go to the message box it says and has the ogre world logo

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by Trollarama

I've noticed they have pulled down the Official Tabula Rasa website today. It was still up for awhile until now. I've also noticed some fansite links go straight to NC Soft. I'm wondering if the recent news of Richard's lawsuit compelled them to pull it down as I'm very intrigued by the future events.
    I realize I might be fantasizing too much but I have this slim hope that Richard Garriott will gather some nice cash off NC Soft and somehow salvage the rights to Tabula Rasa and put it back online. I'll definitely support the game for several months at least if they do that. I had pre ordered this game before release and only now after playing several other MMOs and trialling a number of games, and recently I really really miss this game and to me I think it was one of the best MMOs out there. You don't realize what  you've lost until it's gone.
    us.ncsoft.com/index.html

I highly doubt they are going to let him put this game back up. What chance would it have at success anyway?

• TrollaramaTrollarama Member Posts: 96
    Originally posted by Rokurgepta

us.ncsoft.com/index.html

I highly doubt they are going to let him put this game back up. What chance would it have at success anyway?

That's why I mentioned slim hope.

It still seems strange as to why they would pull the site down only yesterday, after the lawsuit news and the fact that NC Soft have made a 315% profit growth. NC Soft did nada to help the game, no promotion, they didn't add TR to NC pre paid gamecards. They could have done a little more.Their recent profits are a damning indictment.

us.ncsoft.com/index.html

That's why I mentioned slim hope.

It still seems strange as to why they would pull the site down only yesterday, after the lawsuit news and the fact that NC Soft have made a 315% profit growth. NC Soft did nada to help the game, no promotion, they didn't add TR to NC pre paid gamecards. They could have done a little more.Their recent profits are a damning indictment.

How is that a damning indictment? They spent over 100 million to get RG and produce the game. They obviously showed a huge commitment there. They promoted the game less than they should have but other that AOC and WAR what games did huge promotion prior to release? Even WOW did most of its promotions once it was a hit.

Could they have done more? Sure. But RG and his crew should have done a ton more for the money they got. TR was bad. After level 30 I thought I was in beta with how poorly the game progressed.

TR was bad. After level 30 I thought I was in beta with how poorly the game progressed.

Well, that's just your opinion.

The game did get off to a bad start with some technical problems.  Importantly, in the timespan of MMOs, they didn't even give it any time to breath. They should have given more time. I'm certain they could have expanded it and easily made it one of the best MMOs. Oh yes,  that's right it is/was one of the best MMOs out there.

I'll bet you in the next year or two, people will be saying how much potential the game had in the heavily populated clutter of average clone MMOs.

• DillingerEPDillingerEP Member UncommonPosts: 366

TR was bad. After level 30 I thought I was in beta with how poorly the game progressed.

The game did get off to a bad start with some technical problems.  Importantly, in the timespan of MMOs, they didn't even give it any time to breath. They should have given more time. I'm certain they could have expanded it and easily made it one of the best MMOs. Oh yes,  that's right it is/was one of the best MMOs out there.

I'll bet you in the next year or two, people will be saying how much potential the game had in the heavily populated clutter of average clone MMOs.

Well Rokurgepta's opinion was shared with ALOT of people whom played Tabula Rasa, including me. It lead to a hell of alot of people quiting the game. 200k to start and roughly 10-25k when it died, and wouldnt doubt that number being even less. RG and his team were given more then enough time to make TR right. And we were given something that should've stayed in the oven for a couple more years. I can't blame NcSoft shutting down a game, that ended up turning to be a big mess game wise and business wise.

Originally posted by DillingerEP

Well Rokurgepta's opinion was shared with ALOT of people whom played Tabula Rasa, including me. It lead to a hell of alot of people quiting the game. 200k to start and roughly 10-25k when it died, and wouldnt doubt that number being even less. RG and his team were given more then enough time to make TR right. And we were given something that should've stayed in the oven for a couple more years. I can't blame NcSoft shutting down a game, that ended up turning to be a big mess game wise and business wise.

I dont consider 12 months as ample time. It's unfortunate though that RG got his chance to go into space at an awkward time as well, but if the allegations are true about NC Soft forcing him out and apparently informing him during quarantine, then good luck to his lawsuit.

They were working on TR ever since 2001, and came out 2007. Seven years they had from creation to the day the game died, and NcSoft gave them enough time and money to the Garriott brothers... to make a awesome game. No what happens they make a sci-fi/fantasy type game, throw that out the window (which looked lot more promising) and  rush and scramble to make the sci-fi pile of poo we got in 2007 and pretty much left it in incapable hands.

RG is a joke.. he had to bail and leave once he got back from space. He got his money and his chance to play space cowboy.

• BloodDualityBloodDuality Member UncommonPosts: 404

Is Tabula Rasa still live? At least I thought it was down, and from the posts it sounds like it is dead. Yet at my local Wal-Mart they are still selling the Collectors Eddition of the game. they were also selling Fury even though it was no longer running too, so they seem to be a little slow.

No, Tabula Rasa has been dead for like two months now. Due to the fact the game was losing NcSoft more money to keep up... then gaining from it, from the horrid sub numbers it had for awhile.

• esarphieesarphie Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Originally posted by BloodDuality

Is Tabula Rasa still live? At least I thought it was down, and from the posts it sounds like it is dead. Yet at my local Wal-Mart they are still selling the Collectors Eddition of the game. they were also selling Fury even though it was no longer running too, so they seem to be a little slow.

You're going to have to talk to the Wal-Mart tech support staff on that one.

<snicker>

• AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525
    I realize I might be fantasizing too much but I have this slim hope that Richard Garriott will gather some nice cash off NC Soft and somehow salvage the rights to Tabula Rasa and put it back online.

After everything that has happened, why would anyone have even a tiniest shred of fantasy that Garriott could do anything that might resemble behaving like a responsible game developer?

This kind of faith must be what the NCSoft CEO clutched as they spent millions on Tabula Rasa as more and more problems surrounded its development.    Look where that faith got NCSoft.

When are people going to get finally accept it - Garriott made UO but he just happened to be the first one to make a MMORPG.  If he hadn't done it, someone else would have.   Maybe they wouldn't have done it as well, maybe they would have done it a heck of a lot better.   It wasn't that he was some brilliant designer, he was just early. 

A true gaming godfather is someone like Shigeru Miyamoto who has created great games consistently, not getting distracted and let his projects fall apart while pursuing spacecowboy fantasies.    The idea that there are still people who can even fantasize that Garriott could produce anything worthwhile, much less save this game, is truly amazing.   Amazing as in - Wow he just tried to jump his skateboard over a semi-truck and broke both his legs.    

They were working on TR ever since 2001, and came out 2007. Seven years they had from creation to the day the game died, and NcSoft gave them enough time and money to the Garriott brothers... to make a awesome game. No what happens they make a sci-fi/fantasy type game, throw that out the window (which looked lot more promising) and  rush and scramble to make the sci-fi pile of poo we got in 2007 and pretty much left it in incapable hands.
    RG is a joke.. he had to bail and leave once he got back from space. He got his money and his chance to play space cowboy.

Unthinking hands. That's NC Soft. Successfull by the grace of the oriental market. You could package manure to these guys and sell it as candy. Unless you've forgotten, RG has slapped a lawsuit apparently alleging fraud, so we should wait before concluding about who bailed out. The game was still a better poo than every recent release on the market.

Originally posted by Alienovrlord 
    A true gaming godfather is someone like Shigeru Miyamoto who has created great games consistently, not getting distracted and let his projects fall apart while pursuing spacecowboy fantasies.    The idea that there are still people who can even fantasize that Garriott could produce anything worthwhile, much less save this game, is truly amazing.   Amazing as in - Wow he just tried to jump his skateboard over a semi-truck and broke both his legs.    

If you're into console games, I guess you're right, but I have higher tastes.

• OrthedosOrthedos Member Posts: 1,771

Unthinking hands. That's NC Soft. Successfull by the grace of the oriental market. You could package manure to these guys and sell it as candy. Unless you've forgotten, RG has slapped a lawsuit apparently alleging fraud, so we should wait before concluding about who bailed out. The game was still a better poo than every recent release on the market.

You have to smack talk against the oriental market, sell manure to them?  And so you think you are superior?

Whether it is a better poo or not, the orientals, whom you so despised, have the final say, and pulled the plug.  Goodbye.

Originally posted by Orthedos

You have to smack talk against the oriental market, sell manure to them?  And so you think you are superior?

Whether it is a better poo or not, the orientals, whom you so despised, have the final say, and pulled the plug.  Goodbye.

{mod edit} It has nothing to do with despising orientals. I prefer the word "orientals" to describe the far east because "Asia" is a big place, and prejudice can originate from anywhere.

They pulled the plug, but what's going to happen in the future for the gamer? Are we going to have our gaming dominated by marketers who care only about making massive amounts of profits instead of marginal profits? You'll be seeing more companies pulling the plug on games in the future at  the detriment of the people who matter the most. The gamers.

The population before the announcement of the game being cancelled was around 18 - 20k . The game was simply not that good and needed tons of work to be a real MMO.

Originally posted by Orthedos

{mod edit} It has nothing to do with despising orientals. I prefer the word "orientals" to describe the far east because "Asia" is a big place, and prejudice can originate from anywhere.

They pulled the plug, but what's going to happen in the future for the gamer? Are we going to have our gaming dominated by marketers who care only about making massive amounts of profits instead of marginal profits? You'll be seeing more companies pulling the plug on games in the future at  the detriment of the people who matter the most. The gamers.

When you say you could sell the Orientals manure and they would be happy you have made a racist statement. Maybe you fail to see that, but you did.

Originally posted by Alienovrlord 

If you're into console games, I guess you're right, but I have higher tastes.

You claim TR was one of the greatest and then say you have higher tastes? Maybe you should not question others taste.

So because there is a lawsuit we should believe RG was wronged? We all know in the USA no one ever files a lawsuit unless they are 100% correct.

• _Shadowmage_Shadowmage Member Posts: 1,459

I'll definitely support the game for several months at least if they do that.

That there is the main problem Tabula Rasa had. MMO's dont survive on churning their entire playerbase every few months. To last as a MMO the game has to keep players entertained for years.

As people here will tell you - I was a big fan of the game, in beta, mod on a fan-site etc. As a casual player I lasted 8 months post release before I hit level cap, got bored and left to play something else.

Dont get me wrong - I had fun playing - but the fun didnt last. I was playing 10 hours a week. For people playing more often the fun ran out sooner.

If anyone should be issuing a lawsuit, it should be NcSoft vs RG.... asking for their 100million back. .

If anyone should be issuing a lawsuit, it should be NcSoft vs RG.... asking for their 100million back. .

I'm confident they got all that back on copy sales alone in the first few months.

• RaltarRaltar Member UncommonPosts: 829

I'm confident they got all that back on copy sales alone in the first few months.

Yeah... I'm sure. (????) Profitable games that make huge sums of money like that are always the first to get shut down. I hear WoW is being shut down next week.

(Seriously, if you are going to troll try not to make us laugh at you. It kind of defeats the point.)

• spikers14spikers14 Member UncommonPosts: 531

So, if I'm getting all this correct...

Just add RG to the list of things you shouldn't talk to your friends and family about -- right next to religion and politics. Got it.

This discussion has been closed.