Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

City of Heroes: Going Rogue

LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300

Check your e-mail inboxes. This little announcement is making the rounds:

Paragon Studios™ is proud to officially announce the next City of Heroes® expansion, City of Heroes Going Rogue™! This will be the first major expansion for the City of Heroes franchise since the launch of City of Villains® in 2005.

Praetoria, a utopian mirror to our own world, hides a dark secret. Exploring this mysterious alternate earth, the heroes and villains of this world feel an uneasiness of doubt creep over them. Loyalties are questioned. Choices are made. Lines are drawn. As they search for the truth behind Emperor Cole and his Praetorian guard, brutal foes and fierce allies emerge, turning this once blissful paradise into a battle ground.

City of Heroes Going Rogue officially opens the "mirror universe" of Praetoria and an all-new alignment system that explores the shades of gray that lie between Heroes and Villains. For the first time, Hero characters can become Villains and vice versa, enabling Heroes to cross over to the Rogue Isles™ and Villains to experience Paragon City™.

For more information, read the official press release and check out our new Going Rogue website to view the announcement trailer and register for the latest news and updates for City of Heroes Going Rogue.

The website is here. And Going Rogue has been confirmed by Castle here. This is real.

So it looks like there will finally be a way to switch sides. Sounds fun.

Comments

• BodeusBodeus Member Posts: 516

Ohhh that looks SWEEEEET, thanks for the info

• themiltonthemilton Member Posts: 353

yeha, I got that email, too. But neither link worked immediately. Now I'm at work where I have an out-of-date flash player.

http://www.newzyouwant.com/NCsoft/CityofHeroes_GoingRogue_V1.html

That (borrowed) link will show a screen shot of the email. Now the question is: Who are those two people?

Pretty sure the guy is Foreshadow - he's known for repeatedly switching sides. The woman is a bit more mysterious. Kalinda? War Witch? Pre-death Ghost Widow? Non-astral Numina?

-------------
    The less you expect, the more you'll be surprised. Hopefully, pleasantly so.

• hehenephehenep Member UncommonPosts: 221

And just in case people still doubted.  The press release.

• LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300
    Originally posted by hehenep

Hmm. Interesting.

The two new characters in the trailer are described as Maelstrom, a "pistol-wielding hero gone rogue" and the woman is Desdemona, a "demon summoning villain who has been redeemed".

Two new powersets maybe? One can hope.

• AbraxosAbraxos Member Posts: 412
    Originally posted by Lidane

Hmm. Interesting.

The two new characters in the trailer are described as Maelstrom, a "pistol-wielding hero gone rogue" and the woman is Desdemona, a "demon summoning villain who has been redeemed".

I'm running out of slots but a pistol weilding guy or a demon summoner might make me try out a new server. This is exciting news. I want to believe Champions will be 100 times better than COH (It's newer) but I don't have a good feeling. Any new games I've gotten excitied about lately were rushed. This at least gives some more "Umph!" to COH. A new nubee area for 1-20 with new zones and quests would be greatly appreciated also.

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449

typically lame and not-very-useful faq.

City of Heroes Going Rogue Announcement

FAQ – May 12, 2009

Q: When will City of Heroes Going Rogue launch?

A: When it’s ready. We are not announcing the date at this time.  << like AE took an extra 5 months to be "ready"?  joy.

Q: Do I have to own City of Heroes or City of Villains to be able to play the Going Rogue expansion?

A: Yes.

Q: Do I have to change sides in order to play the expansion?

A: No.

Q: If you change over to the opposite alignment, can you change back?

A: Yes.

Q: Can you tell us anything else about the game zones, features, systems, etc.?

A: Not at this time. We will announce more details about this product later this year.  << great faq.  good thing i came to it in order to "learn more".

Q: Will there be a preorder for City of Heroes Going Rogue?

A: Yes. It will be announced later this year.

Q: Will there be more free updates/Issues between now and the launch of Going Rogue?

A: Yes, in fact we recently announced Issue 15 Anniversary, launching early this summer.  <<< woopie, a new tf and a new sf!  bleh.

Q: Will there be a beta test for Going Rogue?

A: Yes, we plan to have an open beta for the product  

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• WikkedbowtieWikkedbowtie Member Posts: 494

Could you troll a little harder damian?

You are more damging to this forum then the game correspondant was. The only thing you post anymore is how the devs screwed up, the devs don't care, I'm not paying for this game anymore. Fine, we get it. Now move on to a different game already.

• grimmstonegrimmstone Member Posts: 34
    Originally posted by Abraxos

Hmm. Interesting.

I'm running out of slots but a pistol weilding guy or a demon summoner might make me try out a new server. This is exciting news. I want to believe Champions will be 100 times better than COH (It's newer) but I don't have a good feeling. Any new games I've gotten excitied about lately were rushed. This at least gives some more "Umph!" to COH. A new nubee area for 1-20 with new zones and quests would be greatly appreciated also.

Going Rogue does indeed sound interesting but until more data comes out,  I'll reserve judgement.  Haven't been to the official site for it yet, and I'll have to wait until I'm home from work to view it.

I wouldn't mind being able to take my main villain badge collector into the Blueside for awhile and rack up some of the hero side TF badges, however if side switching entails a loss of any badges then I'd have to take a pass. He's 600+ badges and I don't want to go through the hassle and time of regaining lost ones.

As to new powersets, I hope they are truly inspiring to me to create a new toon as I am at saturation point in terms of how many alts I have.  Yes I have a bad case of alt-itis, and am now slowly but surely wrapping all my redside alts in the quest/grind to 50, some made for concept reasons such as dualblade+Dark armor+MU patron powers =Sith Warrior, some made for fun like bot/trick arrow Mastermind, and some to be upgraded into an unstoppable powerhouse.    I have little urge to make any new alts again barrring some nice new powerset proliferation or brand new sets that just rock the house.

So far Pistol wielding hero sounds to me like Blasters can get dual pistols as a new power set, which to me is a nice change from assault rifle,  and demon summoning sounds like something new for the Masterminds and Controller characters.

Hmm. Interesting.

Lidane - where'd you see they're names? If they're in the press release or trailer, I sure did miss it.

-------------

• shad0w99shad0w99 Member Posts: 168

Devs from other games could learn so much from CoH.

I don't know if it's just their style that appeals to me but every patch (and now expansion) they add, they add something that really makes you want to resubscribe.

Other games just seem to add more of the same. Using WoW as an example, while WOTLK added a few new features like phased quests (which were awesome by the way)... It's mostly just more of the same. More monotonous quests, more dungeons and more raids.

CoH on the other hand seems to get totally new things all the time, like the invention system, day jobs, mission architect plus all the extra zones that other MMOs would constitute as "an expansion" on its own.

They just seem to think... hmmm... what would spice up the game a little. As opposed to, how many more dungeons should we add to keep people chasing the carrot?

MMOs played (In order of how much I've liked them): Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, Vanguard, City of Villains / Heroes, Guild Wars, Warhammer Online, Age of Conan, Tabula Rasa, Anarchy Online, Ryzom, Final Fantasy XI, Matrix Online, RF Online, Rappelz, Hero Online, Roma Victor

Originally posted by shad0w99

Devs from other games could learn so much from CoH.
    I don't know if it's just their style that appeals to me but every patch (and now expansion) they add, they add something that really makes you want to resubscribe.
    Other games just seem to add more of the same. Using WoW as an example, while WOTLK added a few new features like phased quests (which were awesome by the way)... It's mostly just more of the same. More monotonous quests, more dungeons and more raids.
    CoH on the other hand seems to get totally new things all the time, like the invention system, day jobs, mission architect plus all the extra zones that other MMOs would constitute as "an expansion" on its own.
    They just seem to think... hmmm... what would spice up the game a little. As opposed to, how many more dungeons should we add to keep people chasing the carrot?

While I can agree with this for the most part,  it sure seems that their Quality Control is exceeded by their enthusiasm to get the new issue out. 

Whether it's some IO sets being buggy, or out of balance, or so scarce that the market prices go through the roof to the point where only a lucky recipe roll or merits will get the one that you want. Example: Luck of Gambler 7.5% global recharge booster.

Or whether it's the constant debate of whether PVP is broken. To me it seems that ish 13 took away the "instant I WIN" button that many people had on their pvp toons thus causing many to leave in a huff.  PvP is more acceptable now to me post ish 13 and now with ish 14 we get PVP specific IO's.

Or of course the MA and all the stuff that happened with it. 

While it's silly to expect a bug free release of anything, a bit more QC  would be a great idea.

• DeathTrippDeathTripp Member UncommonPosts: 263

Damian kind of told it like it is though. Like they have said , alternate-reality is a big part of comic book history and I do think it is cool they are adding it, but as a payed expansion?? And the name sucks I think. haha

-----------------------------
    Real as Reality Television!!!

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

Sounds very interesting.  Guess we'll just have to wait to find out more information.  Played this game for 4+ years on and off.  I'm happy to see that they are stil growing the game.

Originally posted by deathtripp

Damian kind of told it like it is though. Like they have said , alternate-reality is a big part of comic book history and I do think it is cool they are adding it, but as a payed expansion?? And the name sucks I think. haha

I can understand what he is saying. I just feel he is taking all of this personally. ot to mention he has already said he isn't going to pay for the game anymore so he is just trolling. You can't say that you don;t care about the game anymore and still gripe about it every chance you get on here.

Yea, that FAQ kinda sucked.  A bunch of stuff most anyone with half a brain should already know.  Ahh well.

That said though, what's wrong with an alternate reality as the setting for an expansion?  I mean, yea.  If it was something like just one zone (say an alternate version of Atlas Park) that'd hardly be worth paying for.  On the other hand, if this is to be a paid expansion I'd certainly expect the paid expansion treatment which generally should include multiple zones(at the very least it's been hinted at), significant quest/mission content for all levels (which is confirmed), new powersets (at least two have very blatantly been hinted at being in), new gameplay features (the whole 'going rogue' thing at the very least), and I'd hope for a new AT personally.

I'm going to be getting the majority of that, and if (as people suspect) that survey they sent around last year is any glimpse at planned content I'm going to be getting a nice chunk more.  The setting isn't really the important thing for an expansion I don't think.  It's what you end up doing with the thing that counts.

Yea, that FAQ kinda sucked.  A bunch of stuff most anyone with half a brain should already know.  Ahh well.

That said though, what's wrong with an alternate reality as the setting for an expansion?  I mean, yea.  If it was something like just one zone (say an alternate version of Atlas Park) that'd hardly be worth paying for.  On the other hand, if this is to be a paid expansion I'd certainly expect the paid expansion treatment which generally should include multiple zones(at the very least it's been hinted at), significant quest/mission content for all levels (which is confirmed), new powersets (at least two have very blatantly been hinted at being in), new gameplay features (the whole 'going rogue' thing at the very least), and I'd hope for a new AT personally.

I'm going to be getting the majority of that, and if (as people suspect) that survey they sent around last year is any glimpse at planned content I'm going to be getting a nice chunk more.  The setting isn't really the important thing for an expansion I don't think.  It's what you end up doing with the thing that counts.

Well the "mirror universe" concept is the only way where they can really accomodate all the requests for "side switching".

The fact that they say you can switch back and forth between good and evil makes it sound to me like there is a portal somewhere that will take your character to the Praetorian Universe.  Once there you have automatically switched sides for the duration of your stay.   A villain would hardly want to knuckle under and serve Tyrant and the Praetorians thus they would oppose them, thus becoming a hero in the eyes of that dimension, thus the villain gets an idea of what being a hero is, yet at any time they can get to the portal that takes them back to their dimension where they become a villain again.  

A hero going over there I would think would maintain their heroic status but its possible they somehow become corrupted into a Praetorian under the service of Tyrant, thus they are a villain in the eyes of the people of that dimension.  Or they may decide to go undercover to infiltrate Tyrant and the Praetorians thus seeming to become a villain when they are secretly undercover.

Please note that is all speculation on my part.

As for the Zones in Praetorian Universe, at the very least I'm expecting evil mirror universe versions of all the zones of Paragon City and Rogue Isles from our universe, where they are the same but opposite.  Thus Praetorian GV could be the home city of the hero turned villain  with all the normal villain zones converted into hero style versions, and Praetorian Atlas is the home base for all villain turned hero with all corresponding zones being dark and twisted as things would be in a mirror universe.

Again that is speculation on my part.  I'd prefer some all new zones, but they may take the quick/easy path and just make all current zones into opposite alignment versions for this mirror universe.

The missions and plotlines....villains turned hero may likely end up running twisted versions of hero plotlines and heroes get versions of the villain plotlines from our universe with both getting all new Praetorian themed content as well.

I also suspect we will get the ability to run Praetorian versions of all the TF/SF from our universe, thus giving villains the chance to earn badges that were once Hero only for example the Phalanx TF badge set, and heroes get to run versions of the Cap/Shark/St Mart SF and even perhaps the RSF.  Hopefully one or two new TF's will be added.

Again: that is speculation on my part.

The part that frankly is going to really not sit that well with me is that I suspect the number of available badges will essentially double.  If we get only the zones twisted into mirror versions and no all new zones, that means we still get a plethora of map badges and history badges.   Now factor in any TF/SF that are all new, plus mirror universe versions.  Of course I suspect there will be all new "kill x amount of target" badges as well.

There are too many in game badges now, IMO and this expansion is going to make it worse then ever.  The dayjob badges and epic money badges (popular and leader) have really KO'd my urge to hunt the badges and certain AE badges like  50,000 kills in TEST mode haven't helped matters.  Now granted the AE is undergoing changes including the badges from it, but 50k kills in test mode is pretty stupid.

The new powersets hinted at: sounds like Blasters get dual guns,  and controllers and masterminds get a new power set.

I hope there is no new Archetype unless they finally make the Incarnates (statesman, recluse) type.

• LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300
    Originally posted by themilton

Lidane - where'd you see they're names? If they're in the press release or trailer, I sure did miss it.

They're identified in the press release. Hope that helps.

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449
    Originally posted by Wikkedbowtie

You are more damging to this forum then the game correspondant was. The only thing you post anymore is how the devs screwed up, the devs don't care, I'm not paying for this game anymore. Fine, we get it. Now move on to a different game already.

then start a positive thread.

it's not my fault if ncsoft and/or its parent company are having bankruptcy issues.

edit: and just out of curiousity, if you read the press release, and then went to the faq "to find out more" about the expansion -- did you indeed get good information out of the faq?

and, i'm sorry, i can still post on the official forum because, oh yeah, they took my money to pay for time i'm not playing. 

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

Originally posted by damian7

Originally posted by Wikkedbowtie

then start a positive thread.

it's not my fault if ncsoft and/or its parent company are having bankruptcy issues.

edit: and just out of curiousity, if you read the press release, and then went to the faq "to find out more" about the expansion -- did you indeed get good information out of the faq?

and, i'm sorry, i can still post on the official forum because, oh yeah, they took my money to pay for time i'm not playing. 

Thats what I thought, you're not happy so you're just gonna troll. Have fun with your trolling.

• jinxitjinxit Member UncommonPosts: 854

Well i left the game not that long ago....MA just did not interest me....but i can safely say I'll be back for this expansion....it's something people have been crying out for.

You have breaking news about how NCSoft is going bankrupt? That's not what their Q1 earnings report says. I'm curious.
  • korat102korat102 Member Posts: 313

Still trying to work out how to turn my stalker into a hero and make it believable! I'm looking forward to trying though

Should be an easy transformation for some of my heroes though, they looks more villainous than some villains I've seen...

Originally posted by themilton

They're identified in the press release. Hope that helps.

Found it! Thanks!

-------------