Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

anyone heard of this news?

PinkerlPinkerl Member Posts: 123

i was wondering why Champions Online is not publish by NCsoft like their previous game City of Villains.  so i google and found this negativegamer.com/2009/03/21/cryptic-caught-stealing-from-ncsoft/

does why Champions did not publish by ncsoft is cause of that? or no relation? oh nevermind. if this was the cause then it wouldnt make sense. anyway thats some news to me.

Comments

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

No relationship, other than maybe Cryptic did this because they aren't being published by NCSoft.  It was known well before beta that NCSoft wouldn't be publishing.

• MasterPain55MasterPain55 Member Posts: 257
    Originally posted by Pinkerl

i was wondering why Champions Online is not publish by NCsoft like their previous game City of Villains.  so i google and found this negativegamer.com/2009/03/21/cryptic-caught-stealing-from-ncsoft/

does why Champions did not publish by ncsoft is cause of that? or no relation? oh nevermind. if this was the cause then it wouldnt make sense. anyway thats some news to me.

Ncsoft is not the orginal publisher of City of Heroes/Villans. Cryptic created than later sold CoX to NCsoft, and then began working on Marvel MMO which has now become Champions. Cryptic no longer has the rights for CoX as it's now completly owned by NCsoft.

• qbangy32qbangy32 Member Posts: 681

Cryptic broke away from NCSoft quite a while ago, they have nothing to do with them anymore after selling CoX.

• meleemadnessmeleemadness Member Posts: 592

Yea, Marvel Universe.....that did go away didn't it.

But DC Universe didn't and I always thought DC was worse than Marvel.  Just look at the movies and see which is more popular now.

Anyway, I would not want to play a game like that where wolverine is running around or what not.....seems wierd.

I loved CoX when it came out and still do in a lesser degree. 

I really can't wait for this game!

• lordvancelordvance Member UncommonPosts: 36

As far as the "stealing players" argument goes, it happens all the time. It's by no means a secret that Blizzard contacted members of several top Everquest guilds and brought them into the closed beta of World of Warcraft very early in the process.

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742
    Originally posted by lordvance

As far as the "stealing players" argument goes, it happens all the time. It's by no means a secret that Blizzard contacted members of several top Everquest guilds and brought them into the closed beta of World of Warcraft very early in the process.

I dont know thats stealing. I think its a solid model to get the best testers and the best word of mouth marketing. No worse than companies who recruit talent from their competitors

• lordvancelordvance Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Originally posted by Czzarre

Originally posted by lordvance

I dont know thats stealing. I think its a solid model to get the best testers and the best word of mouth marketing. No worse than companies who recruit talent from their competitors

Oh I absolutely agree with you here, hence the "'s.

• _Shadowmage_Shadowmage Member Posts: 1,459

Originally posted by MasterPain55
    Ncsoft is not the orginal publisher of City of Heroes/Villans. Cryptic created than later sold CoX to NCsoft, and then began working on Marvel MMO which has now become Champions. Cryptic no longer has the rights for CoX as it's now completly owned by NCsoft.

I think you are confused on the difference between developer and publisher. Cryptic developed the COH/COV game which was published by NCSoft. NCSoft later bought the rights to COH/COV and now develops and publishes the game.

Cryptic were working on Marvel MMO which was going to be published by Microsoft. Then Atari acquired Cryptic studios. So Atari are publishing the game.
  • brezelbrezel Member Posts: 202
    Originally posted by _Shadowmage

... so Atari are publishing the game.

they sold their european publishing section to namco-bandai.