Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ultima Online: Looking Into the Stygian Abyss

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

MMORPG.com Ultima Online Correspondent Ryan Tullis writes this look at the Stygian Abys dungeon in the classic MMORPG.

Many Ultima games featured the expansive, hard dungeon known as Stygian Abyss. It even received its own game known as "Ultima Underworld." Well, many feel it's about time it made its debut on Ultima Online. Well, the wish has been given an answer, and it might be a scary one.

Despite all of the excitement surrounding the dungeon (particularly the sheer mystery), some have asked how its coming effects them. It's a strong question; particularly because it features something that has never appeared in the Ultima universe: PvPvM.

Read Looking Into the Stygian Abyss

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• JGMIIIJGMIII Member Posts: 1,282

Man this game looks nothing like the game I played in the late 90's.

Cool that its still around in some form

Playing: EvE, Ryzom

• joeybootsjoeyboots Member UncommonPosts: 628

I am intrigued by this new expansion. I wonder how it will turn out. Might even prompt me to return to UO.

• FlummoxedFlummoxed Member Posts: 591

Bah, why bother to play this feeble bastardized version, play the ORIGINAL Ultima Underworld.

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/193/Ultima+Underworld+-+The+Stygian+Abyss.html

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

Not to be a nit picky SOB, but this line is incorrect.

"Ultima Online, regardless of its controversy, has always been split into two convenient realms known as Trammel and Felucca. The Player Killer got to stay in the "ghetto" of Ultima, playing in the dangerous lands; while, the blue player, the one interested in player versus monster, could take their time without the threats of other players--that is, until now."

UO was NOT always this way, this was a change that came through a few years after launch, and sadly, changed the game pretty much forever.

• King-KongKing-Kong Member Posts: 95
    Originally posted by Flummoxed

Bah, why bother to play this feeble bastardized version, play the ORIGINAL Ultima Underworld.
    http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/193/Ultima+Underworld+-+The+Stygian+Abyss.html

Cool! I wonder if it's better?

• dj60169dj60169 Member Posts: 7

It's only my opinion but I really don't think this expansion is going to do very well at all.  Why?  Because in order to play it you will be FORCED to use their 3D client.  And as everyone who has seen their 3D client knows, it's baaaad.

• TrykenTryken Ultima Online CorrespondentMember Posts: 63

Actually, I use the KR client. :)

When it first came out it was terrible. I mean, so bad you couldn't even use it. Now, it's actually fantastic. Especially if you use BB-Enhanced skin modification, it is just amazing.

- Ryan

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by Pyrostasis

"Ultima Online, regardless of its controversy, has always been split into two convenient realms known as Trammel and Felucca. The Player Killer got to stay in the "ghetto" of Ultima, playing in the dangerous lands; while, the blue player, the one interested in player versus monster, could take their time without the threats of other players--that is, until now."
    UO was NOT always this way, this was a change that came through a few years after launch, and sadly, changed the game pretty much forever.

I was about to post something about that error..

How can they say that its "always" been split into two facets when that didn't happen until 2 years after the launch?

That is like saying, "Oh Burning Crusade has always been in WoW."

Simply untrue and annoying.

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941
    Originally posted by Laughing-man

Originally posted by Pyrostasis

I was about to post something about that error..

How can they say that its "always" been split into two facets when that didn't happen until 2 years after the launch?

That is like saying, "Oh Burning Crusade has always been in WoW."

Simply untrue and annoying.

What, you mean to say, that Burning Crusade has not always  been in wow, damn it man, next you will be saying WotLK has not always been their either ;)

Okay, I'll bite... what is the BB-Enhanced skin modification?  I actually have the UOKR client installed and just ran it again for the first time in about 6 months and to me the 3D is as bad as ever.  I'd love to take a look at this mod.

Nevermind, found it. No big difference with or without it. In my opinion the 3D client is still horrid.

• GaurnGaurn Member Posts: 305

I've actually been interested in playing UO, I even tried downloading it when KR first came out, but when I downloaded what I thought was KR, looked like it had crappy graphics still(as apposed to today's), and it wouldn't let me get out of the character creation menu. I had no clue what to do, and it's been so long I can't even remember exactly what the page looked like or what exactly the problem was, I just remember some menu being up, and that I could see the backround was of the game, and it didn't look as good as the SS of the KR client. If any of you guys, could off links to the UO:KR client I'd appreciate it, so I could perhaps try for a free trial again, and see if I'd like playing it. I'd appreciate it.

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

You can get the KR client at fileplanet.

I just resubbed to UO after many years worth of absence (2002), because I want to play a skill based game again, but am NOT going to try DF or MO, as the first person view is not my type of game, and then there's the fact that DF is said to be horrible by many.

My only regret so far is that, I like stuff to do, when grinding my skills, and there still seems to be no quests, other than the haven ones I've found, to keep you busy... I know folks like games like UO as they can do what they want, play in their own sandbox, but in my view I wasn't paid to create the game, and therefore shouldn't have to pay to create my own content.

I would love to see a skill based game like UO, in the skin of say Aion. no character levels,only skill levels with plenty of quests.

• GaurnGaurn Member Posts: 305

Yes, I do believe if Aion went skill based like UO I'd love it all that much more. I believe skill based systems will become more of a mainstay if MO is successful.

• donjndonjn Member UncommonPosts: 816
    Originally posted by dj60169

It's only my opinion but I really don't think this expansion is going to do very well at all.  Why?  Because in order to play it you will be FORCED to use their 3D client.  And as everyone who has seen their 3D client knows, it's baaaad.

I have spent two years trying to prevent this misinformation.

KR and the artwork with it is not 3D. It uses ZERO PERCENT of your 3D card. In fact, those of you with ATI cards will notice that the Hotkey Poller does not even increase your card into 3D mode when starting the game..lol

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332

To prevent you any further duress, we will change from calling it "the 3D client" to "that new crap they wasted time on."

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • DraconiDraconi Member Posts: 5

It's only my opinion but I really don't think this expansion is going to do very well at all.  Why?  Because in order to play it you will be FORCED to use their 3D client.

Actually, no!

There's no way we're going to require everyone to use the newer client to access the content - we've spent a ton of time making sure it's both accessible and good looking in both.

Stygian Abyss will be completely compatible with 2D.

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by Draconi

It's only my opinion but I really don't think this expansion is going to do very well at all.  Why?  Because in order to play it you will be FORCED to use their 3D client.

Actually, no!

There's no way we're going to require everyone to use the newer client to access the content - we've spent a ton of time making sure it's both accessible and good looking in both.

Stygian Abyss will be completely compatible with 2D.

The new client is okay at best, and so far I don't mind using it...

With that said, what needs to be done, IMHO, is an entirely new UO MMORPG with modern day graphics, same/similar craft system, plenty of quests, but still utilizing the skill based leveling system. It needs to be full open PVP as in pre renassaince days, but allow for instancing for the 'care bear' in us that wants to accomplish somethings without worrying about griefers.

• spade777spade777 Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by Ryan Tullis 

"Ultima Online, regardless of its controversy, has always been split into two convenient realms known as Trammel and Felucca."

This is factually inaccurate.  I know a couple readers have already commented on this, but I would be interested to see Ryan respond to it.  This statement is false unless you choose to ignore the first 2.5 years of Ultima Online.  Trammel wasn't introduced until Ultima Online: Renaissance was released in 2000.  This game was created to allow open pvp to take place, and the game thrived with that system in place.

This article seems more like a scare piece about getting PKed than an actual informative article about the expansion pack.

"Annoyed yet?  I am."

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    Originally posted by Emeraq

The new client is okay at best, and so far I don't mind using it...
    With that said, what needs to be done, IMHO, is an entirely new UO MMORPG with modern day graphics, same/similar craft system, plenty of quests, but still utilizing the skill based leveling system.
    IRIS - 3D UO Client

^-- Neat 3D client for UO.

It needs to be full open PVP as in pre renassaince days, but allow for instancing for the 'care bear' in us that wants to accomplish somethings without worrying about griefers.

Although Trammel was a band-aid, I like that design for an MMO. If I want to risk it all in FFA hell, I can do that but for those few times that i want to just go mindlessly plink arrows at Titans in peace, Trammel is a click away. 

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • HardcoreHeroHardcoreHero Member Posts: 72

The Trammel/Feluccia split has made people endlessly annoyed that their favorite game of all time was raped by a carebear concept. 

UO needs a rollback to before the split and needs to be taken in the right direction again.

If you EVER say that it was always Trammel/Feluccia again I will have your head.

-------------------------------------------------------------

"I have no idea what''s going on." - Tasos Flambouras

• SynterraSynterra Member Posts: 7

UO was one of the best MMO Games ever made, I played for about 5 years and if not for the Trammel addition and then the items with stats addition I would probably still have an account today with them. It was the most skill based game ever not just game skills, but ability to play that I have ever played. Best group of friends online I can remember. Ramirez Depietro, AZZIZA, Doobie, Horashadow, Ariel, Sunshine, Phoenix, and Peasant I still remember and I haven't played in probably 6 years or so.

Demitheus (Atlantic Shard)

Blood Brothers (AIS)

Blood Avenger