Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

We Give Up On MMORPG.com - Divergence

EthanCEthanC Member UncommonPosts: 56

Hey guys.

Personally, I doubt anyone still checks this page but unfortuantely I come here today to say that we're going to go ahead and abandon this listing.

It's not that progress isn't being made on Divergence. In fact the last three months have shown the most progress that has been achieved in the last year and a half.

The reason is that although we've offered MMORPG.com a ton of exclusive videos, screenshots and major updates about Divergence, we're flat out getting ignored and have been since the day the listing went live. Not one email we've sent in an entire year has been responded to by MMORPG.com staff and the time has come to make it known.

We don't even have the ability to upload our own screenshots to the listing, so the only ones being shown are extremely dated and bland, giving viewers impression about the game that we don't want to give.

At least two other SGL employees have emailed in politely asking that we get a little attention on this subject, as well as myself I have left numerous emails, comments and requests for communication with MMORPG and have gotten literally no response whatsoever to any of them.

Our understanding is that this point that either someone at MMORPG.com has a personal grudge against the project, or that in order to get an ounce of professional courtesy, one must have a big name or deep pockets. Even if that big name is attached to a colossal failure such as Tabula Rasa, or the 18-millionth Korean-made rehashed fantasy game, you're still more worthy on this site than an indie developer trying desperately to innovate a quickly stagnating industry. Games that aren't even MMORPGs are getting promoted on MMORPG.com these days.

Either way, we feel profesionally snubbed and in a most unprofessional way.

And so i wished to take a few minutes to let anyone who passes by know why it is the project appears "dead" on this site and assure anyone still desperately seeking what our game is attempting to accomplish that the project is still being developed every single day, and more furiously than ever as we charge full steam towards an alpha release.

I urge any interested persons to consult other sites such as tentonhammer.com or other gaming websites run by human beings that have agreed to help us get our name out there.

May will be a very big month for us as we will be putting up several exclusives on TenTonHammer.com, doing a few interviews with publications like thirteen1.com and sharing our third video, our best ever, to the world.

Anyone wishing to see a little of what there is to offer currently are encouraged to look for Divergence Online on youtube and also our website at www.Divergence-Online.com in the coming month. You will see some major updates that hopefully will inspire you as much as they have inspired us.

Again, we're all very sorry about the bad impression of our project people must be getting from this listing, but I wanted to take this opportunity to assure everyone despite the image MMORPG.com chooses to paint of our little team and project, Divergence will be completed come hell or high water, and nothing has or will stand in the way, especially elitest websites.

Thanks for your interest, and we hope very much to see you in our gritty and intense world in the near future!

-Ethan Casner

Project Manager :// Stainglass Llama Corp 2009

www.Divergence-Online.com

Comments

• DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

Ethan,

No one here (we checked) has heard a word from you or your company in quite some time. I have no reason to doubt you guys reached out to us, but sometimes the tubes don't connect online. It's annoying, but it happens. There was no great conspiracy to it. I've sent an email your way. We would happily work with those that want to work with us.

Take care,

Dana

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com
    Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

• fuzzi1983fuzzi1983 Member UncommonPosts: 142

Someone threw a stinker. Interesting how you can't solve this trough emails and you have to bring this to the public

• bigbudderbigbudder Member Posts: 29

Hope its just a misunderstanding guys.

This is the 1st ive heard of this game but im amazed if you can pull off this lvl of high rez graphics in game for a mmo.. Stunning !

Check out this HD link . Love the style of game and will be keeping a close eye on it .

• noxcusenoxcuse Member UncommonPosts: 6

Ethan  see you....  can i have your stuff?  sorry..but i think most of us never hear about this game...but now whit your post  we all see a game..whitout money to release to test..and??

nice post to push the interest..but will it help?

• Mystik86Mystik86 Member CommonPosts: 380

I've actually been following Divergence for a while from behind the curtains. I am typically quiet about my interest about games due to the flamers around here and while I would jump on an official game forum I never seem to have the time.

I have been hoping like Hell that we will see this game published as it really looks intense. I feel, from an artistic perspective, that it hits all the right buttons for anyone looking for high-end gaming. It's right up my alley and I'm sure many others as well. Personally, I would pray for a chance to get this game hyped and provide previews, reviews that will help others make informed decisions. I can't wait until we see an alpha and beta for this as I am completely psyched to be a part of such a revolutionary game.

I have to be honest too that this game appears to knock all my previous prospects right out of the water (Earthrise, Huxley, Global Agenda, among others). It will truly be a breath of fresh air.

• krakkenkrakken Member Posts: 200

its good to hear that another non fantasy indie mmorpg is in dev.

i will check for divergence on tentonhammer from now on. 

thank for the information & good luck with your project

• kopemakopema Member Posts: 263
    Originally posted by noxcuse

Ethan  see you....  can i have your stuff?  sorry..but i think most of us never hear about this game...but now whit your post  we all see a game..whitout money to release to test..and??

...And a healthy degree of paranoia.

OK, maybe "healthy" isn't exactly the right word.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Ouch ... this don't look good, mum.

Suggestion: MMORPG.com tuning down their coverage of the 56th AOC global media offensive for maybe 5% to give this game some publicity. Gah, I'm so tired of AOC adds slapping me in the face with cheap and dirty pay offs on every other page. But that might just be me.

• PandraxPandrax Member UncommonPosts: 341

It's sad that it took this long for mmorpg.com to attempt communication, but atleast they are willing to try. Divergence is shaping up to be a great game, and I hope mmorpg.com is willing to go the extra mile in helping Indie developers such as the ones making Divergence push ahead in a very tough market.

Without sites like mmorpg.com and tentonhammer indie developers  would have a near impossible time finding a target audience that they very much deserve. So, show some love, even if you don't plan to play the game.  Keep the dream alive.

~ ~

Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths, Enwrought with golden and silver light, The blue and the dim and the dark cloths Of night and light and the half light, I would spread the cloths under your feet: But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    Originally posted by pandrax

It's sad that it took this long for mmorpg.com to attempt communication, but atleast they are willing to try.

40 minutes is a long time?

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

An update on this, since they wanted it to be so public.

Our attempts to contact them have been ignored, so unless they choose to actually try and reach out (which as far as I can tell they never did before posting this message), then I cannot foresee much coverage.

We are of course happy to work with anyone to find out more about their game, but with a game at this early of a state it does require that the game company be willing as well.

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com
    Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

• Lambon23Lambon23 Member UncommonPosts: 66

MMORPG feeling sore or SLS finding a good way to get people to see.

The world will never know.

• FalendorFalendor Member UncommonPosts: 81

An interesting publicity stunt by Stainglass, but i must admit it cought my attention and i might pay a bit more to this game to see how the drama unfolds.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

I suggest people look at this thread http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/92392/Why-is-Divergence-given-any-credence-MMORPGCOM.html as well as other older threads in this section before giving these Divergence guys any kind of credit. Right from the beginning, they were not honest, even using false screenshots to get their game listed here. I'd rather believe mmorpg.com over people already know to be dishonest.

From 2006:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by EthanC

It's kind of complicated.

In order to qualify for an mmorpg.com listing you have to jump through several hoops, and one of those is provide 5 ingame screenshots.

Well we have dozens of ingame screenshots and several videos in fact, but are locked into an NDA with Microforte, developer of Bigworld until as they say "the check clears." The probem is that we have as of yet no idea how long that is going to take. It could be 5 minutes from now, it could be months.

So.

We couldn't wait any longer to get the mmorpg.com listing up. The truth is that there are several games coming out in the next 2-3 years and the mmorpg.com community is well aware of this. We had to get our name out there as quickly as possible.

And therefore, we got together with the few licensed programs we have such as Vue5 and 3ds Max and used the only engine that we had on hand which we were dabbling with in phase 1 before anyone had introduced Bigworld to us. It was extremely primitive being a mostly homemade conglomeration but held alot of promise, which is why phase1 people are still sworn to silence and will remain that way until further notice.

Regardless, Divergence will remain to be a "Bigworld" game even if we don't end up getting enough investment to purchase the graphics engine, as most of the technology driving alot of our promises such as the 200,000 people on one server is all handled by Bigworld Server, which will definately be the backbone of the game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by fuzzi1983

Someone threw a stinker. Interesting how you can't solve this trough emails and you have to bring this to the public

If he didn't get answers for many mails he can't really solve it there, can he?

But this is probably just a miss-understanding, the staff of this site use to do a good work, with one or two exceptions

possibly (and it was a long time ago).

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125

I would have more fun watching a nat cross an empty 4 lane road then I would watching and waiting for information on this game TBH.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• TrubadurenTrubaduren Member Posts: 575

Perhaps it's beacuse this site is poorly managed from time to time?

Starwars Galaxies, An Empier Diveded, That's what it says on my box anyway.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by Trubaduren

LOL, yeah, they don't prevent people from re-opening long dead threads.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    Originally posted by Trubaduren

Maybe, or maybe they just want more attention for their game, and weren't giving anything that mmorpg.com could report on.  As you saw in the post shown here, everything is under NDA, even screenshots. Which are the "old engine".  So what is mmorpg supposed to do?  Ask daily for new screenshots/interviews/etc? 

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

me too .first time i see this game men it looks well underway .kind of weird we never saw anything here i mean it is an mmo right?

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860
    Originally posted by fuzzi1983

hello?

did he not say he tried sending several emails and received no reply?

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860
    Originally posted by noxcuse

nice post to push the interest..but will it help?

i think that was the point of his post; and blames mmorpg.com for it.

so unless you state you visit several other mmo sites, then your comment doesnt make sense.

• FritomanFritoman Member Posts: 59

This games website looks like it took all but 10 minutes to put together.  Watched the video, was not all that impressed by it, some funky graphics error appeared in their demo.  Of course I am such a sci-fi craving MMO player I hope they get their funding and can complete the game for release, I think I would give it a go. 

Wait a second...did I see some StormTroopers in that demo?

• BaghoolBaghool Member CommonPosts: 118
    Originally posted by Swanea
      So what is mmorpg supposed to do?  Ask daily for new screenshots/interviews/etc? 

Why the hell don't they do that, for all the listed games in development?

"Investment firms do not have that outlook on life. They need to know there is not only a return on their investment but also a solid profit at the end of it." tawess-

• tobywong420tobywong420 Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Damn, that 6 year old necro.