Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Garriott Lawsuit Raises Questions

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Richard Garriott is suing former employer NCsoft for 24 million dollars. This move,which claims that Garriott was dismissed by the publishing giant, prompted MMORPG.com to take a look back at the events surrounding Garriott's departure and Tabula Rasa's closure.

It’s Goliath vs. Goliath in the courtroom these days as new details are beginning to come to light surrounding the recent revelation that Ultima creator and well-known industry leader Richard Garriott is suing his former employers, the MMO publishing giant NCsoft, for an amount of 24 million dollars according to Justia.com’s Federal District court Filings and Dockets.

According to an article at Gamasutra, Garriott was dismissed by the publisher shortly after returning from his trip to the International Space Station. The details of the court case revolve around the circumstances of that dismissal.

Read Garriott Lawsuit Raises Questions

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• DevilXaphanDevilXaphan Member UncommonPosts: 1,144

Garriot's ego is getting bigger the more he grunts and groans. I say it's time for him to just let it go.

• bmdevinebmdevine Member Posts: 429
    Originally posted by DevilXaphan

Garriot's ego is getting bigger the more he grunts and groans. I say it's time for him to just let it go.

Devil, do you intentionally try to make your posts hard to read???  I would recommend reading the complaint (I posted some links to the document in some other threads on this topic.)  I'm not claiming everything in it is true, because I couldn't possibly know, but if it is, then letting it go is not a reasonable option for anyone to expect.  Would you jut let tens of millions of dollars go?

• kawlkjakawlkja Member Posts: 352
    Originally posted by bmdevine

Devil, do you intentionally try to make your posts hard to read???  I would recommend reading the complaint (I posted some links to the document in some other threads on this topic.)  I'm not claiming everything in it is true, because I couldn't possibly know, but if it is, then letting it go is not a reasonable option for anyone to expect.  Would you jut let tens of millions of dollars go?

Yeah I read the link. If everything that is stated is true, Garriot has this in the bag.

• argos5argos5 Member UncommonPosts: 219

After reading the news on GameSpot, then here... I actually believe that NCSoft would fire Garriott and forge a letter of resignation to the public on the Tabula Rasa website. Why? Because its a business and businessmen can be very ruthless. NCSoft is an MMO giant and they can't take a severe loss like what TR became.

• ShreddiShreddi Member UncommonPosts: 320

What an ass Garriot is.  He wanted to go into space because his father was an astronaut NOT to promote Tabula Rasa.    That is his cheap excuse to use for tax purposes.   IRS probably kicked it back saying its not allowable so he wants someone else to pay.  Garriot Quit NC soft and now wants them to pick up the tab for his space travels.  This is a joke and he is looking for a free ride.   He knows NC will probably settle beind cheaper than paying legal but I hope they fight him all the way for the principle of the thing.   I played and liked Tabula Rasa but it failed to be profitable enough to keep running.   Yea going into space really did a lot for Tabula Rasa didnt it.   His ego is making him a liar and a cheat.

This post is intentionally written as to not make any sense what so ever. Thank You Very Much.

• DevilXaphanDevilXaphan Member UncommonPosts: 1,144
    Originally posted by bmdevine

You do realize he pull some major BS while developing the game and even cost over-runs to the mmo. After launch he was pig headed about needed changes the players voiced about but never planned to implement. It's only after he left did NCWest try to salvage the game, but with only so many subs the game was not profitable enough to keep it going. I for one was glad he got fired.

• Shadow786Shadow786 Member UncommonPosts: 210

I hate Richard Garriot So Much this is not helping him at all

Edit: Also after reading the article again i believe NCSOFT wont ever hire an american to spearhead their games anymore, i know this may sound a bit racist, but when so much money is involved it will leave a bitter taste in anyones mouth. Especially when Aion another korean developed game is a highly anticipated game in US/EU.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

The fool is the reason the game failed in the first place.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

He really is an incredible asshat. He should be so embarrassed over his complete and utter failure with Tabula Rasa that he should feel compelled to refund most of what they paid him. NCSoft should be the one doing the suing, if anyone was going to sue.

It's a complete joke. The game was a horrible failure, complete waste of time, money and resources. Garriot not only has done severe harm to NCSoft, but his spectacular and expensive failure has impacted the funding of other MMO development efforts. He's done more damage to the genre than any one person could ever have been imagined capable of doing.

Now, with his spin that his trip to space was somehow business related, we finally see why he scrapped the years of work that went into TR the Fantasy Game and saw the game retooled into the POS sci-fi themed game it became. He wanted an excuse for a write off!

How the mighty have fallen.

His legend is forever tarnished and I can't see any game developer touching him with a ten mile pole. His failure with TR was possibly career ending. This frivilous lawsuit will make him untouchable.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

Originally posted by Shadow786

Edit: Also after reading the article again i believe NCSOFT wont ever hire an american to spearhead their games anymore, i know this may sound a bit racist, but when so much money is involved it will leave a bitter taste in anyones mouth. Especially when Aion another korean developed game is a highly anticipated game in US/EU.

Haha,  Your probably right.   Only in American can you sue your employer for such a chickenshiot reason.   And remember not one dime of his money went into making Tabula Rasa.  Never his money and thats why he wants someone else to pay for his wanna be astronaut adventures.  I really bet he found out IRS wouldnt let him deduct that against his tax return and now looking for another way to cover the cost.   You know thats the reason he claimed it to be promoting the game.  What promotion?  few free pr releases and taking a dna sample the size of a dime up with him to throw out the window haha.  Its so funny its ridiculous, but then again, only in America do we have more lawyers than anyplace else on earth.

This post is intentionally written as to not make any sense what so ever. Thank You Very Much.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I just read the full articles. I don't think he has a leg to stand on. He agreed to leave with out a fight when he was told he "must go". They twisted his arm into resigning, but he still resigned, they never fired him. He approved his "open resignation letter", but now wants to rescind it, because "in hind sight" it shows his departure was voluntary. He also could have filed an injunction to challenge the status of his stock options, but instead voluntarily sold them because he was afraid if he didn't, he'd end up with nothing.

I'm guessing he left so easily, thinking that "The Great Richard Garriot" could readily find himself another company dumb enough to pay him millions to fund his next, brilliant project. Now, finding himself unmarketable, he's trying to recast himself as the victim.

Unbelievable.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

NcSoft being somewhat shady here or is Richard Garriot being idiotic here ? I honestly belive it is both. I wouldn't trust either one of them with anything.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Richard Garriot

So now the US gets blamed for the actions of the British? Fascinating!

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• TdogSkalTdogSkal Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Originally posted by Khalathwyr

Richard Garriot

Everyone hates the US now, Its just how it is.  People forget how much good the US has done for the world.  Sure we are not perfect, nor do any true Americans claim other wise but nobody gives the US credit for all the good things we do.  Its only the bad that people care about.   That is true human nature.

Sooner or Later

• Terminus-EstTerminus-Est Member UncommonPosts: 352

Richard Garriot

Garriot isn't British. I am quite sure his passport is American.

• CyntheCynthe Member UncommonPosts: 1,414
    Originally posted by TdogSkal

Richard Garriot

Everyone hates the US now, Its just how it is.  People forget how much good the US has done for the world.  Sure we are not perfect, nor do any true Americans claim other wise but nobody gives the US credit for all the good things we do.  Its only the bad that people care about.   That is true human nature.

The trouble with that remark is the US has done much damage as well. Especially recently. No matter how wonderful someone is long ago if they hurt others, people are going to be pissed with them. Canada also does a lot of good, and so do other countries but no one toots their horn more then America. In my immediate living area the Bush administration is indirectly responsible for shutting down one town and killing the life blood of another. That's when they decided to not buy our lumber and our coal sales took a major hit as well.

But anyway...

Yes to me Garriot proves once again he may be a creative genius but is otherwise an idiot. NCsoft was shady true, that's how it is when you see a letter like the one on the Tabula site you know it's doesn't mean "I am leaving", "But I got canned".

And what would you do when an employee that seemed so promising pisses away time and money?

(,,,)=^__^=(,,,)

• LordSherpaLordSherpa Member Posts: 2

Tabula Rasa was a good but underrated MMO, and now it's over. Garriot made good job with it, but now his ego is little bit to big. BTW don't blame him for going into space, you would make same call if you were on his place I know I would.

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045

both of them suck .. end of story , its quite simple tbh , it was probably that ncsoft saw tobula rasa going downhill, gave garriot another chance with this spacetrip, which was promoting tr all over internet, noone could miss it, without actuall involment with it, , but with some promice probably, then they saw no increase in subs, in event time.. and after it.. and just scraped.. and trew garrot away, breaking theirs promise, he used his own money for a trip he wanted, but he might not took it, if it wasnt for the game too,

so who knows..  ncsoft is secondary mmo publisher in my eyes.. garriot is someone i dont care about.. third rate creator.. as i never played any of its game.. so for all i care.. they both can go down to hell

Richard Garriot

That is a good point.  Damn I didnt even take into consideration he is british.  Duh, Lord British.   My bad.  Well that even further explains his stupid oversized Ego.

I do Apologise heartly, i am pure british (and glad of it) what i was originally  goign to write was the western world and i should. I am so very so sorry i did not meant to offend anyone, its just the garriot is now operating in america and he was working for NCSOFT NA im so sorry !.

But yeah NCSOFT KOREA wont hire anyone from the western world (very unlikly refer to original post) as he was representing US/EU.

I aologise once again <3

Edit:

Originally posted by LordSherpa

Tabula Rasa was a good but underrated MMO, and now it's over. Garriot made good job with it, but now his ego is little bit to big. BTW don't blame him for going into space, you would make same call if you were on his place I know I would.

and for this i would have done the same. BUT REFERRING TO OP i would not have sued NCSOFT for what i did, i would have taken advantage but .........wait yeah i would sue them oh snap im just contradicting myself oh man what are we british like :(

• DopSillypantDopSillypant Member Posts: 21

The space trip had puzzled me before, but now my previous puzzlement is much more relevant:

I don't claim to have good knowledge of the training required for a trip to space.  Is it not an intensive regimen of weeks or even months?  Where in the world did the 'creative director/core designer' of a relatively new MMO find the time to do all of that?  Even vacation time is not enough to cover it.

Assuming he didn't take vacation time, the training and trip itself must have been submitted to NCsoft higher ups as a relevant and useful marketing tool, and they would have had to sign off on it for him to proceed.  How should they have responded to Garriot's request?  They had no choice, deny his trip and they are left with a disgruntled lead for a major investment.  I imagine there was a great deal of resentment towards Garriot during the whole ordeal, coupled with a failing game and his apparent lack of dedication to saving his own vision, the dismissal was the natural resolution.

She cuts me into a thousand beautiful pieces...

Originally posted by scorpchen

The space trip had puzzled me before, but now my previous puzzlement is much more relevant:
    I don't claim to have good knowledge of the training required for a trip to space.  Is it not an intensive regimen of weeks or even months?  Where in the world did the 'creative director/core designer' of a relatively new MMO find the time to do all of that?  Even vacation time is not enough to cover it.
    Assuming he didn't take vacation time, the training and trip itself must have been submitted to NCsoft higher ups as a relevant and useful marketing tool, and they would have had to sign off on it for him to proceed.  How should they have responded to Garriot's request?  They had no choice, deny his trip and they are left with a disgruntled lead for a major investment.  I imagine there was a great deal of resentment towards Garriot during the whole ordeal, coupled with a failing game and his apparent lack of dedication to saving his own vision, the dismissal was the natural resolution.

There are three zones around the earth - the ISS is on the first around 12000KM from the earth which does not require much training at all especially if your not staying there for long, at that distance you have no gravity and so you would experince that , however that is also the distance VIRGIN is trying to achieve with their 'Out of Space' commercial flights i would say a few weeks of training would qualify you to go on that flight.

Edit in bold : man i shouldent be on the forums when im drunk ><

• IronZIronZ Member Posts: 107

Off topic, sorry, but "everyone" seems to hate America yet they have NO problem taking the billions of dollars the dumb ass politicians throw their way.  I say to hell with the haters, reel in the money and take care of our own damn country!

Z

Originally posted by IronZ

Off topic, sorry, but "everyone" seems to hate America yet they have NO problem taking the billions of dollars the dumb ass politicians throw their way.  I say to hell with the haters, reel in the money and take care of our own damn country!
    Z

I dont think a lump sum of money in the hand is better than alot more money over time

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

Originally posted by IronZ

Z

I dont think a lump sum of money in the hand is better than alot more money over time

actually, it usually is, as the money is worth more now then it will be due to inflation. As I understand it.  10 million bucks now is worth more then 10 million bucks 20 years from now.  So having a smaller, lump sum now and investing it well should earn you More cash then the slow payout of the original amount over time.

It all assumes that the lump sum value is not absurdly lower then the overall payout. like 100 mill over 20 years or 10 mill now...that might not be good to take as a lump. /shrug, i wish i had these problems for real :-)

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature