Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ubuntu + Firefox + Flash 10 = CRAP

meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344

Good job testing this on Linux. Garbage. Unusable.

Comments

• highbornhighborn Disciple StaffMember Posts: 64
    Originally posted by cfurlin

We never tested the game on Linux, and never claimed to.  You can read the requirements for the game here:

http://disciple.mmorpg.com/game_requirements.html

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by highborn We never tested the game on Linux, and never claimed to.  You can read the requirements for the game here:

Pretty much my point...

• bmdevinebmdevine Member Posts: 429

Originally posted by highborn We never tested the game on Linux, and never claimed to.  You can read the requirements for the game here:

Pretty much my point...

Your point is that you're not familiar with the maxim of construction "expressio unius est exclusio alterius"?  Look it up.

The requirements say you have to have Windows or OSX.  Which one of those is Ubuntu?  Last I heard, it wasn't either.  Even Eve isn't supporting Linux anymore.

• SheistaSheista Member UncommonPosts: 1,203

Yeah, come on.  Don't toss around insults just because it's not compatible with a non-mainstream OS.  I love Ubuntu, but I'm not gonna cry because companies won't make their games compatible with an OS that not many gamers use.  Not only that, but it's stupid to complain that they're not doing something that they never said they were going to do.

Originally posted by bmdevine

Pretty much my point...

Your point is that you're not familiar with the maxim of construction "expressio unius est exclusio alterius"?  Look it up.

The requirements say you have to have Windows or OSX.  Which one of those is Ubuntu?  Last I heard, it wasn't either.  Even Eve isn't supporting Linux anymore.

I don't need to, since I'm fluent in Latin, Biblical Hebrew, and Greek (Ancient and Proto). What I am also familiar with is lazy game development and disinterest in understanding the gamer user base.

Linux games are scarce and because of this, many Linux gamers play browser-based games. Why on earth would Windows or Mac users play Disiple when there is a multitude of MMOs that are larger, have more responsive gameplay, and provide more depth in storyline. Also, the whole point of a browser-based game is that it is multi-platform. I can't think of a single brower-based game I've tried that DIDN'T work in Linux. If the developers of Disciple are looking for exposure, they just alienated a significant group of people.

et suppositio nil ponit in esse

• MathrymMathrym Member Posts: 30

Pretty much my point...

I don't need to, since I'm fluent in Latin, Biblical Hebrew, and Greek (Ancient and Proto). What I am also familiar with is lazy game development and disinterest in understanding the gamer user base.

Linux games are scarce and because of this, many Linux gamers play browser-based games. Why on earth would Windows or Mac users play Disiple when there is a multitude of MMOs that are larger, have more responsive gameplay, and provide more depth in storyline. Also, the whole point of a browser-based game is that it is multi-platform. I can't think of a single brower-based game I've tried that DIDN'T work in Linux. If the developers of Disciple are looking for exposure, they just alienated a significant group of people.

Hey said you weren't familiar with the maxim, not the languages.

And the point of browser-based games are to play wherever you are (home, work, library, school, internet café, etc..) And those places usually have Windows or OSX, not Linux.

Last point... Windows + OSX = multiplateform

"He who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance ; one cannot fly into flying"

Pretty much my point...

That being said, you should probably be aware that the phrase you seem to be using ab absurdo applies equally well to the title of your post.  Why bash on Disciple in particular?  There are numerous browser-based MMOs that don't work in Linux.  The most recent one is Free Realms.  I don't see you bashing SOE (everyone else seems to be, albeit for other reasons.)  Try researching browser based games a bit more.  People tend to make too many sweeping generalizations from their own experience without knowing whether their own experience is sufficiently broad to make for a cogent argument.

Originally posted by Mathrym

Pretty much my point...

And the point of browser-based games are to play wherever you are (home, work, library, school, internet café, etc..) And those places usually have Windows or OSX, not Linux.

Don't you mean Windows + OSX = limited platform?

Pretty much my point...

That being said, you should probably be aware that the phrase you seem to be using ab absurdo applies equally well to the title of your post.  Why bash on Disciple in particular?  There are numerous browser-based MMOs that don't work in Linux.  The most recent one is Free Realms.  I don't see you bashing SOE (everyone else seems to be, albeit for other reasons.)  Try researching browser based games a bit more.  People tend to make too many sweeping generalizations from their own experience without knowing whether their own experience is sufficiently broad to make for a cogent argument.

Maybe you don't understand the concept of a browser-based game. A browser-based game is designed to run in a web-browser using web technologies.  If a game will only run in a particular environment, then there is almost always some client-side technology involved. At that point, it is no longer a browser-based game, it is a plugin-based game.

For example, Runescape is NOT a browser-based game. Lands of Hope, however, is.

• babyhueybabyhuey Member Posts: 15

Pretty much my point...

Maybe you don't understand the concept of a browser-based game. A browser-based game is designed to run in a web-browser using web technologies.  If a game will only run in a particular environment, then there is almost always some client-side technology involved. At that point, it is no longer a browser-based game, it is a plugin-based game.

Please go away, you are giving linux users a bad name.

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=8

Windows and OSX together have about 97.5% of market share of OS systems.

Linux has about 1% of the market share of OS systems

How can you honestly say that this is limited. They are NOT limiting their visibility.

"He who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance ; one cannot fly into flying"

How can you honestly say that this is limited. They are NOT limiting their visibility.

You are using the wrong  numbers to illustrate your point. If 30% of Win/Mac users are playing PBBGs and 85% of the Linux users are, then that is a very different metric, don't you think. Although I do see what you are trying to say.

Pretty much my point...

Or maybe I do understand the concept, and know that there are plugin-based games, javascript games, and server-side games, all of which are subsets of the genre.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browser-based_games.  All the term means is that the game itself is played in a browser window.

Try reading the Latin phrase you used back to yourself 20 times, and you'll realize it applies a fortiori to the flawed argument that you're making now.

You're just making Linux users sound like ignorant whiners with inferiority complexes.  Give it up, take a breather, and go read some ancient Hebrew.

Originally posted by babyhuey

Pretty much my point...

Please go away, you are giving linux users a bad name.

That means a lot coming from someone named babyhuey who has only posted 3 times since 2005. You WERE away. You should have stayed there.

Originally posted by Sheista

Yeah, come on.  Don't toss around insults just because it's not compatible with a non-mainstream OS.  I love Ubuntu, but I'm not gonna cry because companies won't make their games compatible with an OS that not many gamers use.  Not only that, but it's stupid to complain that they're not doing something that they never said they were going to do.

Well, I'm not going to cry about it either. I'm just tired of seeing games claiming to be browser games. Disciple is no browser game, it is a Flash-based game. It requires a downloaded executable (the Flash plugin) to run. That is not a browser game. In fact, I have a Flash player installed on my machine and I can fire up any Flash app without ever touching a browser. Since, most Flash apps are platform independent (and should be designed as such), there are some Disciple developers that need a good beating. I do it every day. In fact, you have to WORK at making a Flash app platform specific.

You are using the wrong  numbers to illustrate your point. If 30% of Win/Mac users are playing PBBGs and 85% of the Linux users are, then that is a very different metric, don't you think. Although I do see what you are trying to say.

It's easy to make numbers look bigger than they are. 30% of Win/Mac users is a much bigger number than 85% of Linux users.

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918

Well, I'm not going to cry about it either. I'm just tired of seeing games claiming to be browser games. Disciple is no browser game, it is a Flash-based game. It requires a downloaded executable (the Flash plugin) to run. That is not a browser game. In fact, I have a Flash player installed on my machine and I can fire up any Flash app without ever touching a browser. Since, most Flash apps are platform independent (and should be designed as such), there are some Disciple developers that need a good beating. I do it every day. In fact, you have to WORK at making a Flash app platform specific.

On several technicalities, you could indeed be considered right. However, from a marketing standpoint, they are 100% correct in saying it is a browser-based game. Since the vast majority of machines do have Flash enabled in this age, most browsers do not need any additional installation (although there are downloads that happen behind the scenes).

I think you could have made a good point here, but instead of bringing up the suggestion of expanding support to other platforms (which would be very difficult given the current architecture), you came across harsh and argumentative.

Originally posted by Talin

On several technicalities, you could indeed be considered right. However, from a marketing standpoint, they are 100% correct in saying it is a browser-based game. Since the vast majority of machines do have Flash enabled in this age, most browsers do not need any additional installation (although there are downloads that happen behind the scenes).

I think you could have made a good point here, but instead of bringing up the suggestion of expanding support to other platforms (which would be very difficult given the current architecture), you came across harsh and argumentative.

Yeah, I'll agree that I come across as harsh and argumentative. It's a learned behavior and also why I keep getting hired (and paid generously) to do all the things companies don't have the balls to do themselves. Most of the time, it's not my intention.

Personally, its a character flaw. Professionally, it makes me lots of money. And think of the fortune I'll make when I write a book exposing all the ditbag software companies and their "questionable" business practices. If you witnessed some of the things I have, you may never touch another piece of commercial software again. But, just keep thinking your information is "safe" out there...

Misleading "market-ese" is one of my pet peeves.

• spikers14spikers14 Member UncommonPosts: 531

Hey OP...You seem smart enough to configure a dual boot system...Are you really holding out for games like Disciple? Seriously?

• motnahpddmotnahpdd Member Posts: 12

wtf, since when did runescape become clasified as a non-browser-based MMO?!?!?

the only way you can play it is via the browser...

• jsharradjsharrad Member Posts: 5

Runs flawlessly for me in Firefox on Gentoo Linux.

• HoundeyeHoundeye Member Posts: 110

Cool! so the OP can speak 3 languages, but cant get a PC to dual boot......... windows + linux = win.

• gnlLucidgnlLucid Member Posts: 310

Works fine in Slackware....?  ( Doesnt change the fact that the game itself is pretty much pointless to begin with )

( Then again I shy away from those user-friendly distros of Linux ).