Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Estimated Release Date

aeliethaelieth Member Posts: 44

I don't spend much time playing games anymore. Full time job, school full time, family, blahblahblah. Anyway, I do get bored and reminisce about the times I used to play a ton of games and was an avid hardcore gamer. All that to be said I try to keep up with games and how they're doing.

I always found heroengine.com a far better resource for development of Hero's Journey. They're recently updated the engine page in the last month or so and now have an estimated release date at the very bottom of one of the latest press release pages. The engine continues to grow and is becoming even more awe inspiring IMO. Simutronics has always been picky, they may have not been happy with the games immediate hardware requirements, how it looked, how it played, how much content or etc.

The engine itself makes Simu money and they continue to license it out as they develop what their own game will be using. Overall, I believe this will benefit the MMO community that will play the game. Many people have complained about other's games coming before their own game is released. I say let it happen, let them make use of the engine first and validate the engine. It's almost like Simutronic's own version of a beta test for their own engine. I'm sure they will know how to fully use its power, but others may suggest new things or find ways to use it Simutronics hasn't thought of, enabling them to integrate even more into their own game.

Anyway, my source: http://www.heroengine.com/press-releases/76-press-release-32509

With a release date of 2010

I don't check forums much, but I knew this one is stll watched. I look forward to this game and if it does all it promises, I'm certain it will be pulling me out of game retirement along with some of my friends. Who knows though, it may never get released... but I do believe it will eventually be released, until that time I'll continue waiting and working. Don't expect me to respond too much to this thread, it's just info for the masses.

Comments

• ultimatum1ultimatum1 Member Posts: 36

I'm pretty interested in this game and have been since it was announced aeons ago, the only problem I have with it is the companies pricing scemes, for example aside from the base subscription ($15) on say DragonRealms you can upgrade for premium ($25.00 EXTRA per month - www.play.net/dr/premium/) AND the obscenely expensive Platinum ($50.00 per month- www.play.net/dr/platinum/)

I'll be more than happy to pay as long as they dont pull the same subscription scheme.

(Yes I know these are optional but still, everyone should pay one sub and play the same game, some of us dont have the extra $25 to spare per month).

• aeliethaelieth Member Posts: 44

Something else:

Hero Engine GDC 09

Pretties.

• CemmCemm Member UncommonPosts: 64

http://www.mmogamer.com/05/01/2009/from-gemstone-to-heroengine-simutronics-ceo-david-whatley-on-putting-the-mud-back-into-mmos

Interview with Simutronics' CEO and co-founder David Whatley about the engine and this MMO.

• HJ-DEZORINHJ-DEZORIN Hero's Journey GMMember Posts: 40
    Originally posted by Cemm

http://www.mmogamer.com/05/01/2009/from-gemstone-to-heroengine-simutronics-ceo-david-whatley-on-putting-the-mud-back-into-mmos
    Interview with Simutronics' CEO and co-founder David Whatley about the engine and this MMO.

Nice find.

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630
    Originally posted by ultimatum1

I'm pretty interested in this game and have been since it was announced aeons ago, the only problem I have with it is the companies pricing scemes, for example aside from the base subscription ($15) on say DragonRealms you can upgrade for premium ($25.00 EXTRA per month - www.play.net/dr/premium/) AND the obscenely expensive Platinum ($50.00 per month- www.play.net/dr/platinum/)
    I'll be more than happy to pay as long as they dont pull the same subscription scheme.
    (Yes I know these are optional but still, everyone should pay one sub and play the same game, some of us dont have the extra $25 to spare per month).

Its about quality of play , these schemes work really well and add a lot of value to gameplay.

For people who want a better gameplay experience and can afford it is great don't really care if you can't afford it the model is based on people who can. 

Originally posted by Isane

Its about quality of play , these schemes work really well and add a lot of value to gameplay.

For people who want a better gameplay experience and can afford it is great don't really care if you can't afford it the model is based on people who can. 

Are you kidding me? You cannot justify giving richer people a better experience in an MMORPG. I want a good community too and I cannot afford $50 per month to get it. Why should people pay to have a better experience with a game? Theres plenty of ways to make sure you make a better community for a server (such as perhaps an application system). 

Are you kidding me? You cannot justify giving richer people a better experience in an MMORPG. I want a good community too and I cannot afford $50 per month to get it. Why should people pay to have a better experience with a game? Theres plenty of ways to make sure you make a better community for a server (such as perhaps an application system). 

I have played it and experienced the benefits you know when I stay in a Hotel and decide to stay in one that is a little more luxurious there are benefits... wow well i guess that is real life , I guess it's below you to play a MUD and pay for it as well.

Just dealing in facts and the proof is in the pudding there is no point of discussion here, maybe you should either earn a little more money(find a job or a better job). Or just stay and play as a second class citizen.

You have choices it is up to  you, remember what we are discussing here exists and people pay if you like it or not.

I have played it and experienced the benefits you know when I stay in a Hotel and decide to stay in one that is a little more luxurious there are benefits... wow well i guess that is real life , I guess it's below you to play a MUD and pay for it as well.

Just dealing in facts and the proof is in the pudding there is no point of discussion here, maybe you should either earn a little more money(find a job or a better job). Or just stay and play as a second class citizen.

You have choices it is up to  you, remember what we are discussing here exists and people pay if you like it or not.

Stop with the superiority complex just because you can afford to pay an obscene amount. I have no problems with paying to play ANY online game including a MUD but being a "second class citizen" as you so thoughtfully put it, in an online world is just wrong. People should not need to pay extra to play with good roleplayers. They could have so many other ways of finding out if people are "worthy" of playing on a server with the best community like applications games such as illarion used to have. Ah you know what screw it, if you're the quality of player they have on the $50 servers then it wouldn't be worth it even if I did care and did have the money.

• ValendrosValendros Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 123

I currently have a Gemstone Platinum account. I pay extra to play on a server with 30 people on it at a time rather than 500. The Roleplaying in Prime is non existant, and is completely ruined by the sheer number of people.

Since it's a smaller server, I almost never have anybody else hunting in the same area I am, which is a great benefit.

I used to have a prime (not premium) account. I had two account and still was just bored with the people. There are harassers that are just jerks that pass it off as roleplaying. My hunting areas always have 3-5 other people in it so there would be 5x the mobs which is hard in Gemstone somtimes.

And since I did have a Prime and not Premium account, I did feel like a 2nd class citizen. I only had 100 spaces in my locker and 1 locker. Now in Plat I have 10 lockers and 110 spots in each. I couldn't get to the Premium-only island. I couldn't buy a house... It did feel very crappy that I just wasn't willing to pay for those perks.

I know my Platinum community. I like my Platinum community. They're good people with diverse styles. I'm not rich, and have debated if it's worth the 50 bucks a month where I could have 1/4th the cost and play an MMO. But every time I do that, I come back.

That being said, most of the time these days all I do is make scripts with a 3rd party scripting program called Lich. I love coding a script and debugging the problems and watching it when it's perfect.

So I guess I'd say I completely agree with paying extra, even a lot extra, for a small, RP-only server. But I do not agree with paying extra for more perks in the same server. That seems wrong to me and it felt wrong when I was experiencing it.

• depaindepain Member Posts: 263

$50.00? Wow, I'd much rather give the extra $35.00 to charity -  a natural high from doing a good deed as opposed to spending it all just to play with a bunch of "elite", yet arrogant roleplayers.

Can I afford to pay $50.00 per month to play? Yes. Will I? Absolutely not. This is a mere exploit and it only makes the company look cheap. It's their job to introduce a good game and to provide a reasonable way so that everyone can have fun.

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

How'd this game get on the hype meter again.... I thought it was dead?

• nefermornefermor Member Posts: 70
    Originally posted by Emeraq

How'd this game get on the hype meter again.... I thought it was dead?

I would like to know that too.   There has not been an update on their official web site for over a year.   IMO they canned the project a long time ago and kept it just alive enough to promote the  Hero Engine.    I camped it for a long time too but srsly people its vapor ware.  Unless Simutronics wants to come forth with evidence of a pulse we need to let it go.  They did have some great ideas though.

• aeliethaelieth Member Posts: 44

Agreed, when I posted this a long time ago I thought maybe - just maybe something would happen. I still had hope and still looked for tid-bits of information across the web. We're coming up on 6 months now and all I have heard is doom and gloom, my hope is  shot and I'm back to playing Age of Conan right now. Oh well, I'm going to play Star Wars KotOR just to see the engine in action and since I haven't really played a futuristic MMO yet. I think pushing the engine over the game was a large mistake of theirs, just got way too side tracked.

• lancelot76lancelot76 Member Posts: 119

Just can't figure out why a vaporware title is listed in the Top Voted games under development section of the MMORPG homepage. Reality really is stranger than fiction...

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162

mabye if we hype it to the top of the page someone will throw some money at it?

huh? huh? huh?

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550

Release date?  How about Feburary 29th of 2010?  Uh, but 2010 is not a leap year, you say.

• NivisiruNivisiru Member UncommonPosts: 186

DAMN YOU SIMU!  GIVE ME THIS GAME ALL RDY T_T

Originally posted by lancelot76

Just can't figure out why a vaporware title is listed in the Top Voted games under development section of the MMORPG homepage. Reality really is stranger than fiction...

Hehe it exists they just aren't going to release it... as they have no intention of finishing it.

• alucard3000alucard3000 Member Posts: 414
    Originally posted by Draq

It's not so strange, HJ simply promises more than any other MMORPG. 

lol all games promise more than any other mmorpg

Because it's not vaporware...

• Hamrtime2Hamrtime2 Member Posts: 360

I drive by their studios every day right off hwy 70 in St. Charles Mo. I will stop by and see what action I see. I was there a few years ago and I was given a tour of the studios. I saw Heroes Journey in action and it looked awsome. If I can remember to stop by I will take a few pics of what I see.

• HJ-RowellHJ-Rowell Hero's Journey<br>World DesignerMember Posts: 46

As someone that actually worked on Hero's Journey  (3 years as a World Builder), I can say that Hero's Journey had a lot of innovative ideas; some that the MMO industry are using nowadays, and some that haven't.   It would have been nice to see all the hard work that scores of people put in come to fruition, but sometimes it just isn't in the cards.   I was heartbroken when all the offsite workers were let go, and heartbroken again when I heard that almost all the Hero's Journey staff were given their notice.  

In regards to hype meter, Hero's Journey did have much to offer.  Thus the excitement.   However, with the things the way they are now, Simutronics hanging on, all we can do is wait and see, and hope that things get better.   If the Star Wars MMO is a huge seller, that could be the injection that Simu needs to sell more licenses.  Who knows.

I dread to think where Simu would be if they hadn't followed the path to license the Hero Engine.

-------------------------
    "An area decorated in blood, is an area decorated with love."
    - HJ-Rowell

Former Simutronics Staff (ASGM)
    Hero's Journey - World Building Team

http://play.net/hj/

• BleakmageBleakmage Member UncommonPosts: 186

Don't give up yall! This game is 'The One'. I don't care how long it takes. It's not over till its over, and it ain't over. :D

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I am obviously no expert on the Hero engine,but from what i have read it sounds to me that the game is finished,it will not be released.I f i am reading correctly into all of this,they have actually taken what they already developed and are including it with the game engine license to use as reference material.

I really do like the sounds of the PR hype behind this engine,real time updating is amazing,builds can take hours to do at times.They have some integrated software the same as Unreal integrates into their game engines,example SPEEDTREE for one.I think the yare going full out on developing and supporting this engine,i doubt you will see a new game developed for many years to come if ever.As the ycontinue to get new clients,they will be asked to work with them ongoing to create new tools and ways to keep the customer happy.I guess if the yal lof a sudden strike it rich from licenses,they maybe hire a bunch of people to work o na game,but i don't see it happening.

http://www.heroengine.com/licensing-a-services

This other reference basically says they have setup a games division to make games for you guessed it Facebook and phone apps.  http://http://news.bigdownload.com/tag/hero-engine

As you can see they already have to support some pretty big titles such as Star Wars and ZiniMAx/THQ's supposed big MMORPG .

There will be no Hero's Journey as you know it,but who knows maybe they will grow and decide to make a MMORPG again,but i don't see it for a very long time as everyone is looking to Facebook /apps as it is just as lucrative if not more and at a fraction of the cost.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

The estimated release date for this "game" is never. I posted in 2007 that it was vaporware, and that it was being used as a marketing tool to sell a game engine.

The engine seems to be enjoying some success. But I don't play game engines. I play games.

I suspect some of the Devs never knew they were being used to make an ad instead of a real game, to be tossed aside when the ad part was done. But they can't say no one ever told them, because I did and they posted here how wrong I was.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests